Burned by Root/Custom ROMS - do I try again or quit...

Search This thread

somewhatdog

Mar 11, 2011
The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is

Last edited:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
The last Android device I rooted/rom'd was a ZTE Blade (Orange San Francisco) - went well for a few weeks but one day it got stuck on the 'Green Android' screen at startup and that was that.

On that basis I've been reluctant to root/rom other devices since - but my S3 (Orange UK) drives me nuts with all it's bundled crapware so I gave-in and rooted it (latest CF-Auto-Root) and then used Mobile Odin Pro to install the latest SlimROM

That worked OK for a day - then it reset itself and would only boot into recovery (by default) or download (if forced)

I've reinstalled stock firmware from desktop Odin and it seems fine - question is am I

a - unlucky
b - just not very good at this stuff

and would I be better off

a - trying again with a different setup
b - just leaving it as-is

its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?

somewhatdog

Mar 11, 2011
its a strange story, i just think your unlucky i have never had rooted a phone only for it to boot into recovery Only. if you really want to try again go for it. maybe third times a charm?

Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet! :)

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0

Last edited:

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
Well I did that and this time it froze partway through installing (Mobile Odin) so I guess I'm more than unlucky and perhaps this phone (an i9300 - standard international model) is on the fritz?

I might switch back to the older approach using a custom recovery and see if that works any better - I've not bricked it yet! :)

Update: I switched to good-old CWM and installed Cyanogen 10.2 - I know, it's a boring choice but the main benefit at this point is that it seems to have worked at least - 'stock' Android over Touchwiz? We'll see how I get along with that then. ;0

Haha stock android is not boring, its the best looking, I can't stand all the other ui's sense motoblur and all the nonsense. Touchwiz was the only good looking ui thought I can be pretty laggy