Search This thread

Azothyran

Aug 26, 2010
Kansas City Area
For me it's a giant issue, I managed to get 8 hours battery life on my Gentoo linux 13"/1.3Kg 3 years old laptop while I can't reach 7 hours with my phone? If I keep asking is because I love cm9 but I get better battery life with sense roms, considering there are peoples who reach 24h+ autonomy with the very same rom I think there is a plenty of space for optimizing my cm9. If it hurts you I will stop asking and try to do something on my own (surely with less results considering I'm a total android noob). I just flahed ViperS to see how many hours I can get under the same workload with a sense rom.

Optimizing is a very finicky term, as there isn't much to do when it comes to this ROM. Either you have good battery life, or you don't. It isn't you specifically that we're complaining about, its the hundred plus other posts in this thread and in most other development threads here that we have a problem with. Take a few minutes to do a thread search, there are A LOT of posts of people trying to help the trolls out, such as isolating any potential drainage issues with BetterBatteryStats.

I'll be honest, I have been typing this whole message out on my device and I STILL have full battery. Battery life varies greatly across devices. Sensations may be nearly identical across manufacturing (save for the touch panel ;)) but on a hardware level, every device will behave differently in different scenarios, and device usage also varies across users.

Last edited:

mslatter

Sep 23, 2010
Columbus, GA USA
On battery life, it drains super quickly with Bluetooth on, but otherwise I normally get about 12 hours.

On a separate issue, every nightly for the last week is causing an issue with mounting the SD card on my PC. If I revert back to RC1 it's fine...but otherwise, on a any recent nightly, when I pull the notification window down and touch on "Turn on USB storage", I'm getting "System UI has stopped" and then the notification window disappears and the SD doesn't mount. I did notice that the option to "Turn on USB storage" has a note to the right of it, but I can't see it all...it reads, "There is a problem using your SD card for the USB ma..[" Again, if I restore to June 10th version, everything works fine...just the nightlies...that I'd like to keep using if possible =) Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

invisiblewave

Sep 17, 2009
Yep, I was right about this being a broken record! Everyone is still going on about battery life! It has been discussed a few hundred times, try searching this thread, I'm sure you'll find a few tips and a lot more people whining about the same thing. :rolleyes:

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

The solution to stop the whining is to fix the wakelock issue.

Azothyran

Aug 26, 2010
Kansas City Area
On battery life, it drains super quickly with Bluetooth on, but otherwise I normally get about 12 hours.

On a separate issue, every nightly for the last week is causing an issue with mounting the SD card on my PC. If I revert back to RC1 it's fine...but otherwise, on a any recent nightly, when I pull the notification window down and touch on "Turn on USB storage", I'm getting "System UI has stopped" and then the notification window disappears and the SD doesn't mount. I did notice that the option to "Turn on USB storage" has a note to the right of it, but I can't see it all...it reads, "There is a problem using your SD card for the USB ma..[" Again, if I restore to June 10th version, everything works fine...just the nightlies...that I'd like to keep using if possible =) Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Try mounting your card in recovery mode. Not the greatest workaround, but it does help.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2

kushXmaster

Nov 26, 2010
Stockton (cali)
I'll be honest, I have been typing this whole message out on my device and I STILL have full battery. Battery life varies greatly across devices. Sensations may be nearly identical across manufacturing (save for the touch panel ;)) but on a hardware level, every device will behave differently in different scenarios, and device usage also varies across users.

My phones been on for 2 hours and I still have 100 percent. I have an hour drive ahead of me and I'll listen to music and it will maybe be down to 95%

My suggestion: turn screen brightness down.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

darkbasic4

Dec 3, 2011
www.linuxsystems.it
Optimizing is a very finicky term, as there isn't much to do when it comes to this ROM. Either you have good battery life, or you don't. It isn't you specifically that we're complaining about, its the hundred plus other posts in this thread and in most other development threads here that we have a problem with. Take a few minutes to do a thread search, there are A LOT of posts of people trying to help the trolls out, such as isolating any potential drainage issues with BetterBatteryStats.

I decided to give cm9 another chance, this time I installer opensensation nightly 23/07/2012 instead of cm9-rc2 and I turned bluetooth off (even if I need it for my car's handsfree kit). I don't know what did the trick but battery life GREATELY improved, after 3 hours battery is 85% now, yesterday it was 1% after only 4 hours! It isn't still as good as sense but at least it's decent now :D

I see lots of wakelocks from msm_serial_hs_dma, wasn't this issue fixed? BetterBatteryStats screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lc944w8w8xx9qvp/2012-07-23 18.34.29.png

My suggestion: turn screen brightness down.
Thanks, but I already did it ;)

Last edited:

mobryon

Dec 7, 2010
Cleveland
Since the OP doesn't seem to give a **** about the battery issues i've gone ahead and installed a different ROM as per OP's recommendation. If anyone is still having battery issues with this ROM I suggest you try out the superior HyperNonSense-v3.3.

It has significantly less garbage apps (as in none) installed than this one and the battery life is simply amazing, with light use i've gotten 4 days out of my Sensation so far and it's on 58%. If this was this ROM it would have been dead within 38-40 hours.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1581619

^^Seriously you need to post this. . . No one cares what ROM you decided to use. Rave about HyperNonSense in their forum.

Vorbeth and Tamcore: Thanks as always for your work and responsiveness.

Last edited:
Reactions: zme999

DizzyWeb

Mar 19, 2007
Though my battery life ain't all that great either, I have another issue: the notification led is behaving irregular. Sometimes it blinks, sometimes it doesn't. Not really handy.

Spr33y

Jul 31, 2011
Boston
People do understand this ROM is CM9 with fixes and nothing more, right? Vorbeth isn't here to provide daily updates or to cater to your need. The battery life you get is essentially out of his control since he syncs so much from the CM repos. There's no one here to get angry at, no one owes you anything because your phone only lasts 12 hours.

Though my battery life ain't all that great either, I have another issue: the notification led is behaving irregular. Sometimes it blinks, sometimes it doesn't. Not really handy.

If you haven't doing a clean install in a while, I would try that. In my months of using this ROM, my led notifications has never been a problem.

darkbasic4

Dec 3, 2011
www.linuxsystems.it
Opensensation has working 1080p videos, cm9 doesn't. Also I get terrible battery life with cm9, opensensation is much better now (but not as good as sense roms). I know the differences are minimal but that's what I experienced...

tb_

Jun 6, 2008
using google+ hangouts crashes for me. I tried the latest nightlies of opensensation. i tried the cm9 rc2 and the latest cm9 nightly.

i would guess its the camera? attached a logcat for reference.

anyone got similar problems?

Code:
E/Camera-JNI( 2361): Callback buffer was too small! Expected 460800 bytes, but got 231424 bytes!
E/Camera-JNI( 2361): Couldn't allocate byte array for JPEG data
E/gcomm_native( 2361): [void Java_com_google_android_apps_plus_hangout_GCommNativeWrapper_nativeProvideOutgoingVideoFrame(JNIEnv*, _jobject*, _jbyteArray*, jlong, jint) gcomm_native_wrapper.cpp(1528) 400ea5e8] data != NULL
E/gcomm_native( 2361): [static void util::JniHelper::CheckThreadAndThrow(const char*, const char*, const char*) jni_helper.cpp(63) 400ea5e8] Throwing java/lang/IllegalStateException void Java_com_google_android_apps_plus_hangout_GCommNativeWrapper_nativeProvideOutgoingVideoFrame(JNIEnv*, _jobject*, _jbyteArray*, jlong, jint) data != NULL
E/Camera-JNI( 2361): Callback buffer was too small! Expected 460800 bytes, but got 231424 bytes!
E/Camera-JNI( 2361): Couldn't allocate byte array for JPEG data
D/AndroidRuntime( 2361): Shutting down VM
W/dalvikvm( 2361): threadid=1: thread exiting with uncaught exception (group=0x40a4b1f8)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): java.lang.IllegalStateException: void Java_com_google_android_apps_plus_hangout_GCommNativeWrapper_nativeProvideOutgoingVideoFrame(JNIEnv*, _jobject*, _jbyteArray*, jlong, jint):data != NULL
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): 	at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommNativeWrapper.nativeProvideOutgoingVideoFrame(Native Method)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): 	at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.GCommNativeWrapper.provideOutgoingVideoFrame(GCommNativeWrapper.java:992)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): 	at com.google.android.apps.plus.hangout.VideoCapturer$1.onPreviewFrame(VideoCapturer.java:277)
E/AndroidRuntime( 2361): 	at android.hardware.Camera$EventHandler.handleMessage(Camera.java:723)

Attachments

• gpluslog.txt.bz2
    30.3 KB · Views: 1

tb_

Jun 6, 2008
can anyone provide a link to the latest opensensation release? I had to delete it because of space issues but i think it was the most stable thing i had

chrolmesq

Dec 30, 2011
How can I make my lock screen and call screen to automatically turn to landscape mode?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using xda premium

badboy47

Nov 23, 2009
In the last couple weeks, i tried many roms (Viper, AR HD, SmartDroid, ExtremeSensationPower, virtuous inquisition and other...) but didnt liked them as much as openSensation rom. I just love this rom. Simple, clean and very smooth! Gonna flash it again :).

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    attachment.php

This thread is about OpenSensation and not about my kernel!!

Disclaimer
    Your warranty is now void.

I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed.
    Please do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    Known Bugs / Fixes
    • MHL doesn't works as expected
    • Bluetooth may not work perfectly on every device
    • Not compatible with SuperWipe.zip
      • Use 4EXT's full-wipe function
    • Your bug is not listed here?
    Difference between OpenSensation and CyanogenMod
    • we have 1080p, they don’t
    • we have OTA Updates, they don’t
    • we have PDroid patches included, they don’t
    • we have removed RomManger and Terminal Emulator (bloatware, still available in Play Store)
    USB-OTG
    The USB-OTG stuff is a little bit tricky. It looks like some Sensations have a self powered USB Host port which allows them to use an USB-Stick without external power. But most Sensation don’t have it.
    You need
    • USB-OTG y-cable (like this)
      • (or a normal USB-OTG cable if your attached device has it’s own power supply)
    • in case you’re using an USB-OTG y-cable you need an external power supply
      • I recommend you a mobile battery with a female USB-Port
    This ROM will mount the first partition of your attached device (fat32 & ntfs only!) to /mnt/usbdisk. If you wan’t to use more partitions/devices I recommend you to use Chainfire’s StickMount App
    Requirements
    • HTC Sensation (XE and 4G sould work, too)
    • custom Recovery (I recommend 4EXT)
    • 3.32 or 3.33 Firmware (ROM is tested with 3.32 firmware, so use 3.33 at your own risk!)
    • S-OFF (ROM should work without S-OFF, but you might need 4EXT’s SmartFlash to properly flash the boot.img)
    • SDCard
    Download
    FAQ
    • Can we have XYZ from Sense?
      • NO!
    • “Is there a way to have FM Radio?”
      • No, there is no way to build it from source. Try Spirit FM.
    Thanks & Credits
    • Vorbeth, intervigilium, elelinux and cretin45 (for bringing CM9 to the Sensation)
    • intervigilium, faux123 and showp1984 (for the kernel)
    • blahbl4hblah (for his tutorial to compile OpenSensation which brought me to where I am now)
    • aquariumsoft (for UpdateMe)
    • SebastianFM (for his USB-OTG patch)
    • pastime1971 (for the updated PDroid patches)
    • Slap me if I forgot to mention you :)
    Sources
    Removed as TamCore now has OP
    Small update for you all.
    I'm going to be stopping working on OS. Waiting 190 minutes for each compile just to test a small fix is getting too much.

I thank all those that previously donated, I was able to get a used q6600 PC, however that didn't last and the CPU fried. (Probably why I got it cheap was that is was on it's way out)

I've asked TamCore if he will take over on OpenSensation.

I have enjoyed the time I spent in doing this, however with work I don't have time to work on this during a week now, as the last few updates have shown working on it during the week, staying up while it compiles results in a few bug's.

The repo's as they are now do suffer from audio routing and I will try to re-port the routing fix over the next few day's, but that will be my last contribution.
    What's the current status of LPA?

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA

In a few hours after I compile, it will be enabled & audio routing band-aided

leaving just bluetooth, mhl, full HW acceleration & a few wakelock issues to be fixed.

Hell, I started out on this laptop, so may as well finish on it.
    i'll stick around continuing to work on this for a while yet.

Guess I just got that pissed off waiting one night I thought "f**k it"
    I will continue until such a point that cm and my repos have exactly the same functions.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using XDA