[APP][FREE][2.2+] IntelliCover - Proximity Sensor Based Screen Control (And MORE)

Search This thread

NightM@re

May 19, 2012
Cairo
I'm doing some tests with my phone and data connection is disabled so far "i don't have wifi here"
i googled it but found only old versions , and i want to test the latest one coz if it has worked as i expect i may implent it to my project
"sry , english isn't my main"

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
I'm doing some tests with my phone and data connection is disabled so far "i don't have wifi here"
i googled it but found only old versions , and i want to test the latest one coz if it has worked as i expect i may implent it to my project
"sry , english isn't my main"

Attached the apk to this post. =)

I'd appreciate if most people used the Google Play link though, if possible...more downloads = more popular = more people download it :D

Attachments

• Intellicover_3_0.apk
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 2,568

juried

Jan 29, 2011
If I test with the phone using my thumb to cover the sensor, the screen turns back on after some seconds. Attached is a logcat of this.

Defy+, CM7.2

Attachments

• 2012-11-13-00-26-39.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 96

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
If I test with the phone using my thumb to cover the sensor, the screen turns back on after some seconds. Attached is a logcat of this.

Defy+, CM7.2

Thanks for providing the logcat. I checked it out and it seems that (for some reason) the proximity sensor is actually being triggered again and as a result, the Screen On function gets fired. I'm not sure if this'll make much sense but I'll give it my best.

The proximity sensor is triggered and the screen is locked using Android's in-built functions (i.e. so far so good, works till here) and then only a few milliseconds later the proximity sensor thinks your thumb has moved away and only then the Screen On function is triggered (there's no other way this function can be triggered) using a "wake lock" (Happens in the log at time 00:26:51.835).

So the bottom line is, all the evidence points to the fact that it's a physical thing BUT I'm not sure if it's a hardware thing. For example, sometimes if you press down on the proximity sensor, the detection won't work, so try hovering your thumb just a little bit above the sensor, or try using a cloth. It's a pretty new and buggy technology so I'm still figuring it out but yes, there have been maybe half a dozen other reports of the same issue, so you're not alone. Unfortunately, half a dozen out of 5.5k+ downloads is not conclusive enough to find the root of the issue and the log doesn't reveal any issues with the app.

So basically just try testing with a few different scenarios, and although I'll keep trying to look for some concrete reason, if it still doesn't work, I'm sorta stumped right now. >.<

ravni

Nov 23, 2010
yes intelli cover works great, no battery drain.
Only issue : when sometimes it turns the screen of by accident (most of the time because my thumb goes over the sensor), When I immédiatly turn it back on, the lock screen takes a little time to appear. When can I found a timeout option for the lockscreen?

antt00

Jul 31, 2007
Kuala Lumpur
Great app. Working very well with Note 2 flip cover. Just wanna ask, with the proximity sensor always on, will it affect the lifespan of the sensor? Does it even have a lifespan? :)

Also anyway of implementing schedule, like to turn off the app at night cos we won't be using it. It can safe power for some devices.

dragonnis

May 1, 2012
New Delhi
Only issue : when sometimes it turns the screen of by accident (most of the time because my thumb goes over the sensor), When I immédiatly turn it back on, the lock screen takes a little time to appear. When can I found a timeout option for the lockscreen?

If you mean, a timeout for locking the phone, then it's the "Screen Off Delay" option in the Calibration section of settings. If you rapidly turn your screen off and on though, it will definitely take a little time to process everything and bring up your lockscreen, same as if you press the power button twice very fast.

Great app. Working very well with Note 2 flip cover. Just wanna ask, with the proximity sensor always on, will it affect the lifespan of the sensor? Does it even have a lifespan? :)

Also anyway of implementing schedule, like to turn off the app at night cos we won't be using it. It can safe power for some devices.

As for the lifespan, I won't pretend to be an expert and tell you I'm sure the proximity sensor will last for a long time. :angel: All I can say is that I have used similar apps on multiple Android phones for years without issues. My friend's iPhone's proximity sensor died after 2 years of regular use though, so who knows? I tried doing some research earlier and found nothing. Tried googling it now and I actually found this thread (your question) on the first page of the search! I'd say they pretty much last forever till you drop your phone and break them, being the tiny little optic devices they are.

And yes, I'm trying to implement a Sleep Timer. I'm a little busy for the next couple weeks, but I have a bunch of upgrades (including this one) planned for after that! :laugh:

Reactions: antt00

Ray_Banci

Jan 25, 2012
This is an exact copy of proximity screen off

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using xda premium

mikeschevelle

Dec 27, 2007
Any way you can get a "Turn off only when on Home Screen" option.

I have the delay set to 10 seconds but it still will turn off when playing games or taking pictures (when I am holding it in landscape)

I would be nice to have it only turn the screen off when I go back to the home screen

Pithism

Dec 21, 2010
Boston, MA
Haven't had compatibility issues with JB yet and I'm pretty sure Nexus 7 has a proximity sensor. Hmm...the only special request for compatibility is a proximity sensor. Could be a Google hiccup so I'll e-mail them about it. Meanwhile, as Mike mentioned, try changing back to the stock DPI if you're not already on it, because the Play Store doesn't recognize the device well so most apps will fetch a "Not Compatible" status.

Yea im having the same issues, my dpi is stock.

Im using AOKP milestone 1 jb 4.1.2

any ideas?

Last edited:

eden1988

Dec 25, 2010
I have an issue, I'm running on stock ICS rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 i9300, proximity screen off works but after abt 3-4 secs it turns the screen on by itself and then switch off again. I have been able to replicate this on every screen off, I'm assuming lux auto brightness is the cause of it but apparently proximity screen off doesn't have this issue for me, wonders is it just me or others are also experiencing this problem.

Bruce MJ

Sep 25, 2011
Been running the app 4 a couple of days, no complaints.
Great job, keep up the good work.

Spl4tt

wow, this works better than expected!
I didn't use it in my poccket yet, but when testing around, it works flawless.
my OneX even reacts to it when my hand is 5centimeters above the sensor, this just has to work well in the pocket

only complaint is that sometimes, when the screen goes on, i see the intelliCover app. That should not be, but i guess that will be fix'd soon :)

G

geekon

Works very well, but there's one important option missing - turn off scren when sensor is triggered, regardless device position. When i have "pocket mode" enabled it turns screen on when i pull the phone out of pocket, but when i put it back, screen stays enabled for some time (set in android pref.). I often use my phone in way that require screen to be on for 5min. and i don't want to go to system preferences and changing delay for 15sec. every time i put phone back to pocket, so turning off by sensor would be very nice option :)

rarturo.91

Nov 14, 2012
Santo Domingo
the app is working great....more than expected i'm using a Galaxy Skyrocket i-727 for some reason is not listed in google play as a supported phone, even thoni downloaded through a 3rd party web and as i said before is working great.....if there is any fix for that on your end will be great for automatic updates through play store =D

hkfan

Aug 12, 2010
Toronto
Hi,

My nexus 7 is in tablet mode ( using PA ROM) , is it possible for you release your app for tablets also as right now I am getting non compatible issue with play store.

DaPhinc

May 12, 2012
The app works but i had two sleeps of death on the first day of testing. I had to disable it again :(
(I have a SGSII running Vanilla Rootbox rom)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally got my app up and running on the Market and being a die hard xda user, I thought it would only be appropriate to post it here for fellow users to enjoy. =)

IntelliCover is a utility which uses your device’s proximity sensor to control its display and allow fast and efficient access to your phone or tablet.

It turns the screen turns off automatically when you put your device in your pockets, close its flip cover, store the device in a bag, or even just leave the device facing down on a table. As soon as the device is back in your hand the proximity sensor is triggered again, the screen turns back on and your phone is instantly ready for use.

IntelliCover is more feature-filled than any other similar application on the market. And the best part? It's FREE!

Click here to visit the market page and download the app for free

P.S. If you find a bug, I'd appreciate if you could report it to me before giving a bad rating because it usually only takes me less than a day to fix.

*** Features ***

Calibration:-
    Proximity Sensor Delay – Add a delay to the time takes to trigger the sensor and turn the screen off.

Application Settings:-
    Automatic Unlock – Automatically dismiss the Unlock Screen, provided there is no password. *Experimental*
    Disable in Landscape Mode – Disable the proximity sensor when an application is in landscape mode.
    Go to Home Screen – Show the home screen when the screen turns on.
    Screen Off Only – The screen will turn off but not on when the proximity sensor is triggered.
    Screen On Only – The screen will turn on but not off when the proximity sensor is triggered.
    Start on Boot – Automatically start the IntelliCover service when the device turns on.

Notifications:-
    Proximity Warning – Vibrate every time the proximity sensor is triggered.
    Status Bar Notification – Show an ongoing notification in the status bar.

Screen On and Off Actions:-
    Airplane Mode – Enable or disable airplane mode.
    Auto Rotate (will be removed) – Activate or deactivate.
    Auto Sync – Activate or deactivate auto-sync.
    Bluetooth – Enable or disable Bluetooth.
    Haptic Feedback (will be removed) – Activate or deactivate haptic feedback.
    Ringer Mode – Switch ringer mode to Normal (Sound with Vibration), Vibrate or Silent.
    Wi-fi – Enable or disable wi-fi.

*** Frequently Asked Questions ***
    Q) Is it really free? Where are the ads?
    Ans) IntelliCover is completely free and has no ads whatsoever!
    Q) Do I require a rooted device to use IntelliCover?
    Ans) Nope. IntelliCover works on all supported phones and tablets, rooted or unrooted.
    Q) Doesn’t using the proximity sensor consume a lot of battery?
    Ans) Actually, the proximity sensor consumes minimal power, almost little enough to be insignificant.
    Q) What are the ‘Screen On’ and ‘Screen Off’ actions?
    Ans) IntelliCover allows you to set events to be triggered when the screen turn on or off. For example, by setting wi-fi to turn on when your screen turns on and setting it to turn off when the screen turns off, you could save a huge amount of battery power.
    Q) Can I request a feature?
    Ans) Of course! Head over to the Contact section to drop me an e-mail.
    Q) Why does IntelliCover keep running in the background?
    Ans) It has to run in the background to know when the proximity sensor is triggered.
    Q) Can I donate to the developer?
    Ans) Not yet but hopefully I’ll have something set up soon.

*** Permissions Required ***
    INTERNET - Required for error logging (to send crash reports)
    WAKE_LOCK - Required to unlock screen
    WRITE_SETTINGS - Required to toggle ringer mode
    VIBRATE - Required to vibrate phone
    RECEIVE_BOOT_COMPLETED - Required to detect phone boot
    WRITE_SYNC_SETTINGS - Required to toggle autosync
    READ_SYNC_SETTINGS - Required to toggle autosync
    BLUETOOTH - Required to toggle bluetooth
    BLUETOOTH_ADMIN - Required to toggle bluetooth
    ACCESS_WIFI_STATE - Required to toggle WiFi
    UPDATE_DEVICE_STATS - Required to toggle WiFi
    CHANGE_WIFI_STATE - Required to toggle WiFi

*** Contact ***
    Feel free to contact me at dragonnis.soft@gmail.com with any issues, bug reports, feature requests, suggestions or queries. Please read the FAQ above before sending an e-mail to avoid redundancy.

Click here to visit the market page and download the app for free
    im fine with the black dot, it will keep my bar looking empty :)

Finally! Found a way to completely remove the icon and the notification from the status bar when the app is foregrounded. It'll be in the next update (today or tomorrow). It can still be enabled manually from the Notifications section but yea, enjoy the emptiness of your status bar. xP
    Pretty Huge Update. Hope you like it!

Version 3.0

-Added Screen On Fix for some phones (Enable in settings)
    -Status Bar Notification/Icon will no longer automatically show up when app is foregrounded.
    -Added Pocket Mode
    -Added Table Mode
    -Added Widget
    -Fixed Screen On/Off Actions bug
    Wow this apps is so handy! Thanks dev!

One suggestion, can we set a sleep period in the apps so the proximity sensor will not be always on 24/7? (seems scary).

And on my stock S3, pulling the phone out from pocket usually works (screen on), but putting it in doesn't always lock the screen. Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Glad you like it.

Sleep sounds like a nice idea. I'm working on the next update so I'll add that. :D The proximity sensor doesn't really take much battery (almost nothing until it's triggered) but I understand it's scary to know that it's always on lol. More importantly though, after testing it on a friend's HTX One X, I realized that some phones have that little annoying light that comes on when the proximity sensor is active so sleep would be a welcome option.

As for the screen "not always" locking I'm not too sure...Try setting the delay another 0.5 seconds (or more), that might help.

If you mean, a timeout for locking the phone, then it's the "Screen Off Delay" option in the Calibration section of settings. If you rapidly turn your screen off and on though, it will definitely take a little time to process everything and bring up your lockscreen, same as if you press the power button twice very fast.

As for the lifespan, I won't pretend to be an expert and tell you I'm sure the proximity sensor will last for a long time. :angel: All I can say is that I have used similar apps on multiple Android phones for years without issues. My friend's iPhone's proximity sensor died after 2 years of regular use though, so who knows? I tried doing some research earlier and found nothing. Tried googling it now and I actually found this thread (your question) on the first page of the search! I'd say they pretty much last forever till you drop your phone and break them, being the tiny little optic devices they are.

And yes, I'm trying to implement a Sleep Timer. I'm a little busy for the next couple weeks, but I have a bunch of upgrades (including this one) planned for after that! :laugh: