HTC Ruby have 4G?

Search This thread

hwr44ever

May 4, 2013
Saskatoon
hi, Does HTC Amaze international version have 4G feature in it? Because as i came to know HTC Amaze 4G was made for T-Mobile and Telus only.

Odysseus1962

Sep 30, 2013
Ripley, TN
hi, Does HTC Amaze international version have 4G feature in it? Because as i came to know HTC Amaze 4G was made for T-Mobile and Telus only.

No version of the Amaze is truly 4G. It was simply a marketing term by several North American GSM carriers so they could compete against carriers which were then beginning to deploy truly 4G LTE service. In reality, the Amaze is a 3G HSDPA+ handset that can operate at 42Mbps, which is the fastest rate any North American GSM / WCDMA carrier operates. Now all North American carriers are offering or are upgrading to 4G LTE. The other versions of the Amaze have the same capabilities, but those carriers didn't market it as 4G either because of local laws defining what can be called 4G or because their service wasn't capable of data transmission at HSDPA+ 42Mbps speeds.

I hope this clarified things.

Last edited:
Reactions: hwr44ever

pbergonzi

Jun 14, 2013
Mesa, AZ
Amaze international.

Amaze supports these radio modes:
WCDMA / HSPA+ 42 (3G / 4G)
850 Cellular / band 5 (V) Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
1700 AWS / band 4 (IV) Americas
1900 PCS / band 2 (II) Americas
2100 IMT / band 1 (I) Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

GSM (2G)
850 Cellular Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
900 Europe, Asia, Africa
1800 DCS Europe, Asia, Africa
1900 PCS Americas

It also supports data at these speeds:
HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSUPA
http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3448

Here's my understanding--the Amaze is technically not a 4G handset, as it supports only up to HSPA+, which is not by the standards considered 4G, but only an improvement on 3G. However, 42Mbps is a huge improvement on 3G thus giving the speed one might expect someday on a 4G network, but not providing a true upgrade path towards the standards imposed on a 4G network.
In simplest terms, the Amaze has a very fast radio, but is not technically 4G.
To complicate things, the standards have been changed to call T-Mobile's HSPA+ network a 4G network:
http://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa-now-officially-4g-according-to-itu/

This doesn't yet answer your question.
In my understanding, there was no crippled version of the Amaze 4G marketed, such that ALL Amazes had ALL radio frequencies available.

So then, if your provider sends data over any of the aforementioned frequencies, you can receive it, at the speeds at which they send it providing suitable reception, and not any faster than 42Mbps.

Here is a list of HSPA+ networks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HSPA+_networks.

Someone else here can tell you if you should update your radio firmware or not.

Reactions: hwr44ever

hwr44ever

May 4, 2013
Saskatoon
Thanks

No version of the Amaze is truly 4G. It was simply a marketing term by several North American GSM carriers so they could compete against carriers which were then beginning to deploy truly 4G LTE service. In reality, the Amaze is a 3G HSDPA+ handset that can operate at 42Mbps, which is the fastest rate any North American GSM / WCDMA carrier operates. Now all North American carriers are offering or are upgrading to 4G LTE. The other versions of the Amaze have the same capabilities, but those carriers didn't market it as 4G either because of local laws defining what can be called 4G or because their service wasn't capable of data transmission at HSDPA+ 42Mbps speeds.

Yeah this clarify a lot of things
Thanks for replying.

Odysseus1962

Sep 30, 2013
Ripley, TN
not "true" 4g- but neither is current LTE speeds. "Official" 4G is rated for 100mbs and nobody has that.

but on my amaze, with H20 wireless $30 plan, i get 7mbs download, 1.5mbs upload. its faster then my dsl!

4G stands for "4th generation" (of mobile data transmission protocols). It's not the speed that makes a device "4G" it's the technology being used. Which is why the Amaze isn't a "4G" device no matter how fast its data transfer speeds are, or how much the marketing wings of the large mobile telecom carriers try to convince the public. The Amaze achieves it's "4G" speeds using older "3G" HSDPA / UTMS / WCDMA technology. LTE however, is a "4th" gen technology. Companies which use it may not yet be able to achieve it's maximum bandwidth potential, but this doesn't make that technology any less "4G".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Amaze international.

Amaze supports these radio modes:
    WCDMA / HSPA+ 42 (3G / 4G)
    850 Cellular / band 5 (V) Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
    1700 AWS / band 4 (IV) Americas
    1900 PCS / band 2 (II) Americas
    2100 IMT / band 1 (I) Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, Brazil, India, Israel

GSM (2G)
    850 Cellular Americas, Oceania, Brazil, Israel
    900 Europe, Asia, Africa
    1800 DCS Europe, Asia, Africa
    1900 PCS Americas

It also supports data at these speeds:
    HSDPA, 42 Mbps; HSUPA
    http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3448

Here's my understanding--the Amaze is technically not a 4G handset, as it supports only up to HSPA+, which is not by the standards considered 4G, but only an improvement on 3G. However, 42Mbps is a huge improvement on 3G thus giving the speed one might expect someday on a 4G network, but not providing a true upgrade path towards the standards imposed on a 4G network.
    In simplest terms, the Amaze has a very fast radio, but is not technically 4G.
    To complicate things, the standards have been changed to call T-Mobile's HSPA+ network a 4G network:
    http://www.tmonews.com/2010/12/hspa-now-officially-4g-according-to-itu/

This doesn't yet answer your question.
    In my understanding, there was no crippled version of the Amaze 4G marketed, such that ALL Amazes had ALL radio frequencies available.

So then, if your provider sends data over any of the aforementioned frequencies, you can receive it, at the speeds at which they send it providing suitable reception, and not any faster than 42Mbps.

Here is a list of HSPA+ networks:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HSPA+_networks.

Someone else here can tell you if you should update your radio firmware or not.