Cannot flash stock recovery

Search This thread

scythefwd

Jun 12, 2014
I'm running a completely stock nexus 10. yes, it has been rooted before, but it got the full wipe/load from factory image for 4.4.3.

I am able to flash twrp and cwm touch for recovery.. which I'd normally not care about BUT it needs to go in for warranty work.. its battery draw is faster than the charger can push (expect it to be hardware failure.. same issue with 4.4.2)

I am unlocked. After I do my fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img ... and then I try to boot into recovery.. I just get that droid laying on his back with a red triangle with a ! in it..

suggestiona?

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
I'm running a completely stock nexus 10. yes, it has been rooted before, but it got the full wipe/load from factory image for 4.4.3.

I am able to flash twrp and cwm touch for recovery.. which I'd normally not care about BUT it needs to go in for warranty work.. its battery draw is faster than the charger can push (expect it to be hardware failure.. same issue with 4.4.2)

I am unlocked. After I do my fastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img ... and then I try to boot into recovery.. I just get that droid laying on his back with a red triangle with a ! in it..

suggestiona?

I am thinking that is the stock recovery, let me look into this but im pretty sure that is the OEM recovery....

Thx Josh

Reactions: scythefwd

scythefwd

Jun 12, 2014
I am thinking that is the stock recovery, let me look into this but im pretty sure that is the OEM recovery....

Thx Josh

I dont believe so unless they changed it from 4.2 that it shipped with. That recovery (which I also tried) allowed me to install stuff from .zip while in recovery (how the nexus was rooted..), wipe cache, wipe device, wipe delvik, etc... It was ugly, but it worked. I dont go into recovery very often, but I know this dead android isn't what I should be seeing on this device... or it wasn't the same one that I saw when I first got it. After sitting at the dead droid for a bit, it then continues to boot into the system and that works all fine.

I gave up for the time being.. I just flashed 4.4.2 on it, left recovery dead, and re-locked the bootloader. I'm shipping it off to samsung for charging issues, and they said first and foremost they'll flash it.. I'll let them discover the issue for themselves. IF they dont just swap out the device all together. I first noticed my charging issue with 4.4.3, so I flashed back to 4.4.2 (never had problems using this image before...) and the problem persists using different charging bricks.. so I think its a hardware issue. WAS plugged in during some power flickers.. wonder if that passed through to the device.

I'm assuming Samsung will use a proper flash vs. what we're trying to use.. and they should be able to do it with a locked bootloader.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
I dont believe so unless they changed it from 4.2 that it shipped with. That recovery (which I also tried) allowed me to install stuff from .zip while in recovery (how the nexus was rooted..), wipe cache, wipe device, wipe delvik, etc... It was ugly, but it worked. I dont go into recovery very often, but I know this dead android isn't what I should be seeing on this device... or it wasn't the same one that I saw when I first got it. After sitting at the dead droid for a bit, it then continues to boot into the system and that works all fine.

I gave up for the time being.. I just flashed 4.4.2 on it, left recovery dead, and re-locked the bootloader. I'm shipping it off to samsung for charging issues, and they said first and foremost they'll flash it.. I'll let them discover the issue for themselves. IF they dont just swap out the device all together. I first noticed my charging issue with 4.4.3, so I flashed back to 4.4.2 (never had problems using this image before...) and the problem persists using different charging bricks.. so I think its a hardware issue. WAS plugged in during some power flickers.. wonder if that passed through to the device.

I'm assuming Samsung will use a proper flash vs. what we're trying to use.. and they should be able to do it with a locked bootloader.

FYI, as @lj50036 said, that is the stock recovery for 4.4. When you see that screen, you have to hit Power + Volume Up (or Volume Down) simultaneously to bring up the recovery menu. like factory wipe, clear cache, etc.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
Like hit them and let go, or till it reboots again?

Just push them both at the same time and let go. It usually takes a few taps before they show, but they eventually do. There's no reboot or anything. The blue words just show up in the top left corner of that screen with the Android laying on it's back with the exclamation mark over it. This was how it is on my N5 and N7 (2013) as well, or was before I flash Philz Recovery on all my devices.

Reactions: scythefwd

scythefwd

Jun 12, 2014
Just push them both at the same time and let go. It usually takes a few taps before they show, but they eventually do. There's no reboot or anything. The blue words just show up in the top left corner of that screen with the Android laying on it's back with the exclamation mark over it. This was how it is on my N5 and N7 (2013) as well, or was before I flash Philz Recovery on all my devices.

Hrmm, no blue text on mine.. but I'll give it a shot when I get home.

scythefwd

Jun 12, 2014
Well, the blue text shows up after successfully pushing the buttons. Before you push the buttons, all you'll be seeing is the Android laying on his back with the red exclamation mark over it.

well I'll be danged if it do...

Thanks gents. Last time I entered into recovery it was the original rom.. 4.2. I rooted, installed cwm, and hadn't returned. Odd that they made this change, but I'm cool with it lol. actually, I may have never actually gotten into the recovery mode before I flashed cwm to it now that I think about it.

Its there. I found that if I hit power , held it down, and then hit VOL- it let me in... just had to be quick bout it.. like less than a 1/2 second. sweet.. she's all factory fresh and ready to run at samsung. Yall rock.

cant imagine why they would do that..

She's only charging from 23-25% in 2 hours, at idle, no use on a vanilla install.. so something is definitely wrong! We'll see if its the brick or the device, either way I'm good to go.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
well I'll be danged if it do...

Thanks gents. Last time I entered into recovery it was the original rom.. 4.2. I rooted, installed cwm, and hadn't returned. Odd that they made this change, but I'm cool with it lol. actually, I may have never actually gotten into the recovery mode before I flashed cwm to it now that I think about it.

Its there. I found that if I hit power , held it down, and then hit VOL- it let me in... just had to be quick bout it.. like less than a 1/2 second. sweet.. she's all factory fresh and ready to run at samsung. Yall rock.

cant imagine why they would do that..

She's only charging from 23-25% in 2 hours, at idle, no use on a vanilla install.. so something is definitely wrong! We'll see if its the brick or the device, either way I'm good to go.

No problem. Hope your issue gets fixed quickly.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

scythefwd

Jun 12, 2014

ran it charging and idle from 6 till a little after 3pm today.. 25% more on the charge meter.. using the micro usb and the factory wall brick...

she's all boxed up and ready for ups though, should get her back like new in a couple weeks.. Thank GOD samsung will back their product.

Dont know whats the deal.. but its gonna be all good. Thanks again folks for educating me on why the stock recovery sux lol.

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
ran it charging and idle from 6 till a little after 3pm today.. 25% more on the charge meter.. using the micro usb and the factory wall brick...

she's all boxed up and ready for ups though, should get her back like new in a couple weeks.. Thank GOD samsung will back their product.

Dont know whats the deal.. but its gonna be all good. Thanks again folks for educating me on why the stock recovery sux lol.

Thx for taking the time to learn mate, Let us know when you get it back :p

Thx Josh

Reactions: charesa39

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

FYI, as @lj50036 said, that is the stock recovery for 4.4. When you see that screen, you have to hit Power + Volume Up (or Volume Down) simultaneously to bring up the recovery menu. like factory wipe, clear cache, etc.

suggestiona?

Thx Josh
    Like hit them and let go, or till it reboots again?

Hrmm, no blue text on mine.. but I'll give it a shot when I get home.

Well, the blue text shows up after successfully pushing the buttons. Before you push the buttons, all you'll be seeing is the Android laying on his back with the red exclamation mark over it.