Idea for alternative charger connector (updated 3/7)

Search This thread

funnycreature

There have been a lot of complaints about the flimsy connector for the Xoom charger. I also think that it is a very poor design at most. The metal pin is too long, the plastic part is poking out too much etc.

I am no engineer and also bad at drawing but I attached something that I think might work. If anyone feels like they could produce a prototype that would be awesome!

The small magnet might or might not work. If you look at the area where all the connectors are you will see a small metal plate that could probably be used to anchor the connector magnetically.

Any feedback is appreciated (even just to say that I am full of sh!t!)

UPDATE: I added an alternative design using the two metal connectors for charging and a silicone plug to keep the connectors in place. A magnet will give additional stability.

Attachments

• Xoom_connector.jpg
    Xoom_connector.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 1,976
Last edited:

keitht

Dec 21, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
There have been a lot of complaints about the flimsy connector for the Xoom charger. I also think that it is a very poor design at most. The metal pin is too long, the plastic part is poking out too much etc.

I am no engineer and also bad at drawing but I attached something that I think might work. If anyone feels like they could produce a prototype that would be awesome!

The small magnet might or might not work. If you look at the area where all the connectors are you will see a small metal plate that could probably be used to anchor the connector magnetically.

It charges my Xoom very fast. It is still working and has not caused me any issues. If it breaks, I will come back here to *****.

RonnieFoxxx

Sep 18, 2009
Los Angeles
Yeah, the stock connecter scares me. I like your design though I'm not sure anyone here has the means to develop and sell it. I'm hoping maybe someone may find a softwear solution to charge via the USB micro port. What do you guys think, possible or no?

AndroidFileHost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 10, 2010
Texas

I like it! i think its a pretty good idea. Wish i knew someone who could create one. I would buy it. stock one scares me

ritalin

Sep 28, 2007
Tampa
plus.google.com
I have to ask, why you would use that connector at all if you want to redesign a magnetic charger? Why not use the same priciple to connect it to the two plates on the bottom next to the hole for power?

As someone who repairs laptops for a living, this was the single most troubling design aspect of our new toy. It looks like it will be far to easy to damage the internals of this device with the default power cable.

It would make more sense to use a breakaway magnetic connection that makes contact with the two metal plates. I have not looked in to it too far but it would seem that the docs use this and the USB in them is strictly for audio out.

Reactions: jamie_lee142000

funnycreature

I was actually wondering if the metal plates would be used for dock charging. Since I don't own a dock I can't check. But if it is then yes, the charger should be attached magnetically! Thanks for the clarification. I'll try to design more options :)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Banggugyangu

May 24, 2010
So was I. The stock one works fine however, alternatives are great as well. I just do not see a need for one personally. Others may.

My only complaint with the xoom, honestly is the charging system.

For starters, I don't see a reason to not allow charging over USB. Sure the voltage would only be 5v, and it would take considerably longer, but the option would be nice. This isn't to say I want to do away with the 12v charger, because the speed at which it charges is lovely, just the option for the other.

Secondly, the needle-like connector screams, "I want to be broken quickly!" Was there really a need to make the connector in that type and size?

Thirdly, the placement of the charger port is hideous and impractical. It's dead center at the bottom. I rarely use my xoom flat against a surface. I purchased the display portfolio that motorola made. The charger port is not only a hinderance to the utilization of my portfolio case, but is also covered at all times when using the case in any manner that motorola designed it. I'm sure this is simply a brain-fart on motorola's part, which happens to everyone and is understandable, but is there a reason the charger port couldn't have been placed on one of the sides of the device? I would say preferably the left hand side, as people are less likely to turn the device to sit on that side.

I'm not simply posting this to complain, just express my thoughts on the only true fault that I feel the xoom has. On that note, a 90 degree *honestly 180 degree by the design sketch* connector would be lovely, IMO. It still wouldn't be usable with the portfolio case, but it would allow someone to angle the xoom without fear of breaking the charger off inside it.

Last edited:

markbo2000

Aug 7, 2010
Raleigh, NC
The two metal plates are indeed for charging on the dock. It takes away the need to use the stock charger on the needle tip. Just plug the charger into the dock and set the Xoom on it. I charge this way every time.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE: I added an alternative design using the two metal connectors for charging and a silicone plug to keep the connectors in place. A magnet will give additional stability.
    I have to ask, why you would use that connector at all if you want to redesign a magnetic charger? Why not use the same priciple to connect it to the two plates on the bottom next to the hole for power?

As someone who repairs laptops for a living, this was the single most troubling design aspect of our new toy. It looks like it will be far to easy to damage the internals of this device with the default power cable.

It would make more sense to use a breakaway magnetic connection that makes contact with the two metal plates. I have not looked in to it too far but it would seem that the docs use this and the USB in them is strictly for audio out.
    im gonna make this. I will let you guys know how it works. my first android by the way! :D
    I will try to get the "ingredients". Thanks for all your support! Maybe kickstarter is a good idea! I'll have to take a closer look at the dock though so I can figure out the contacts.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

I saw your post here and started thinking about what kind of magnets you could use. I have these magnetic "push pins" that have pretty decent magnets in them. I cut one open and the magnet is the PERFECT size for this. It's maybe 1-2 milimeters from being the same size as the screw.

You could probably use one of these to test out. If it's not strong enough you could always get a pack of small rare earth magnets and just shave those down around the edges if they're too big.

The magnetic push pins I have were from office depot i think. Here's a picture of my Xoom with the magnet on the right side screw and the magnetic push pin next to it.
    magnet_on_screw_MotoXoom.png
    Very nice man! Kudos!

Lol...I guess I wasn't the first one to think of this. Here is what I have come up with, complete with electrical tape since I have been too lazy to epoxy the charger cord into the slot. Haha.

Spring loaded gold plated contact pins. The white pin locates into the stock charger hole. Two rare earth magnets to hold it in place. Access to the USB and HDMI ports is retained. 12V 1.5A charger with interchangeable plugs (i.e., wall socket for USA, UK, etc.).

MagBlock1.jpg