[DRIVER] [GUIDE] Finally, how to get fastboot to work on Windows 8.1

Search This thread

izi501

Jul 19, 2012
Nantes
Hi guys,

One issue appeared with Windows 8.1 which I found very annoying : the Wildfire S wasn't recognized anymore in fastboot mode. Not very useful to flash system or recovery images... Usually, the solution was to use Linux, but one cannot (or doesn't want to) install Linux on one's PC :p
So thanks to Auth from 4pda and @niks255 (I'm actually only reposting it here), we now have a way to make these drivers work on Windows. Here's what you need to know :

The actual issue is caused by a lack of BOS descriptor : the Wildfire S doesn't provide any although it has USB > 2.00. Windows 8 accepted it, but not 8.1.
To use this patch, you must have KB296791 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2967917/en-us) installed. To check this just go to Control Panel - Programs and features - View installed updates and type KB296791 in the searchbox on the right top corner. If you don't have this update installed, just update your Windows using Windows Update.
Then, download the attached registry key file, Fastboot.reg.txt and rename it to Fastboot.reg.
Open an admin console by right-clicking on the Start button and choosing Console (admin). Then type the regedit command. The registry manager should now open.
Choose File/Import key and import Fastboot.reg.

Done ! It was that simple. Now you can use fastboot whenever you wish ;)

Attachments

• Fastboot.reg.txt
    324 bytes · Views: 8,119
Last edited:

dr3amsINdigital

Jul 7, 2012
This isn't limited to just the Wildfire S, right? I have an HTC One S that I'd like to get this working with.

EDIT: Just tried it and it worked! Thank you so much for posting this!!!

Last edited:

csoulr666

Jun 30, 2011
Aligarh
Hi guys,

One issue appeared with Windows 8.1 which I found very annoying : the Wildfire S wasn't recognized anymore in fastboot mode. Not very useful to flash system or recovery images... Usually, the solution was to use Linux, but one cannot (or doesn't want to) install Linux on one's PC :p
So thanks to Auth from 4pda and @niks255 (I'm actually only reposting it here), we now have a way to make these drivers work on Windows. Here's what you need to know :

The actual issue is caused by a lack of BOS descriptor : the Wildfire S doesn't provide any although it has USB > 2.00. Windows 8 accepted it, but not 8.1.
To use this patch, you must have KB296791 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2967917/en-us) installed. To check this just go to Control Panel - Programs and features - View installed updates and type KB296791 in the searchbox on the right top corner. If you don't have this update installed, just update your Windows using Windows Update.
Then, download the attached registry key file, Fastboot.reg.txt and rename it to Fastboot.reg.
Open an admin console by right-clicking on the Start button and choosing Console (admin). Then type the regedit command. The registry manager should now open.

I believe a really big thank you is required............ FINALLY I can flash stuff via my PC. Thanks a ton for reposting this here!

ImAnAndroid

Oct 8, 2014
Thank you!! I've found so many forums around the internet where people have the same problem with no fix; this is great! This worked to make fastboot recognize my HTC Incredible 4g LTE (fireball) in the command prompt! Hallelujah!

evildog1

May 2, 2012
i have this patch installed and applied reg file but it still not work.

87KowVU.png

kchaisu

Jan 27, 2014
Bangkok
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Recently, I updated from Windows 8.1 Pro to Windows 10 Pro and my HTC Desire S still can connect to my PC and under bootloader, all fastboot commands are still working fine. It is surviving windows 10 update. Thanks for introducing this method.

AnyAndroidOSWins

Jul 17, 2015
Hey, thanks so much for this! I spent tons of time googling and finding no answer when none of my windows (10) PC's (or my arch linux partition) would recognize my HTC One V, but thanks to you Registry file, It does, thanks again!

Reactions: echow2001

richardz123

Nov 15, 2014
yea theres 1 problem like one verry tiny big problem my previous windows was 7 and not 8.1 so i cant install the patch witout it corupting my registery plzzz i need it for windows 10 for my htc desire x

ps i have no phone drivers installed of this phone cuz they dont exist

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi guys,

This isn't limited to just the Wildfire S, right? I have an HTC One S that I'd like to get this working with.

EDIT: Just tried it and it worked! Thank you so much for posting this!!!
    Yeah sure you can use this with every phone ;) Glad it helped you !
    I am not able to download the file attached. It opens as a text in browser itself. Help please

Well... Right-click -> Save the link target.
    Just tested, also works with Windows 10. Thanks!
    Hey, thanks so much for this! I spent tons of time googling and finding no answer when none of my windows (10) PC's (or my arch linux partition) would recognize my HTC One V, but thanks to you Registry file, It does, thanks again!