[ROOT + CWM + OC KERNEL + Ubuntu] ZTE V11A / V71A / v55 HC3.2

Search This thread

mobilx

May 17, 2007
Jagodina
Stock rom update process

I think I have just found the stock rom update process for our devices. It is simple because we don't need any flasher. The little secret is that our device has exactly the same update process like Huawei media pad which means this manual (see attachment) could be very useful (use google translate).

BE AWARE THAT LEAKED ROM UPDATES ARE ONLY A FEW DAYS NEWER THAN ONES WE CURRENTLY HAVE ON OUR DEVICES. WE SHOULD WAIT FOR THE NEWER LEAKS.

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
I think I have just found the stock rom update process for our devices. It is simple because we don't need any flasher. The little secret is that our device has exactly the same update process like Huawei media pad which means this manual (see attachment) could be very useful (use google translate).

BE AWARE THAT LEAKED ROM UPDATES ARE ONLY A FEW DAYS NEWER THAN ONES WE CURRENTLY HAVE ON OUR DEVICES. WE SHOULD WAIT FOR THE NEWER LEAKS.

So, its not 2012 feb release or it is, but not much has been changed, I've looked in the build prop...
So much for Confidentiality Haha,
Sooo, unlmt.cfg (once.cfg Should not be used!!) file? Where to get it? Or what is in it? Is it absolutely needed?

Last edited:

mobilx

May 17, 2007
Jagodina
So, its not 2012 feb release or it is, but not much has been changed, I've looked in the build prop...
So much for Confidentiality Haha,
Sooo, unlmt.cfg (once.cfg Should not be used!!) file? Where to get it? Or what is in it? Is it absolutely needed?

In the package I've found unlmt.cfg is the zero bit empty file so I think it's not needed. You can check on http://www.android-hilfe.de/huawei-mediapad-forum/167780-huawei-mediapad-firmware-update-howto.html. There you can find the upgrade packages for media pad. Download one to obtain unlmt.cfg.

Sent from my SmartTab10 using Tapatalk

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
In the package I've found unlmt.cfg is the zero bit empty file so I think it's not needed. You can check on http://www.android-hilfe.de/huawei-mediapad-forum/167780-huawei-mediapad-firmware-update-howto.html. There you can find the upgrade packages for media pad. Download one to obtain unlmt.cfg.

Sent from my SmartTab10 using Tapatalk

Further discussion of the rom flashing - firmware flashing I think we should go here please:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502058

Last edited:

adrianx26

Jul 12, 2009
Bucuresti
the power adaptor at 30euro

also usb to hdmi cable at 12 euro and the dock at 42 euro

all will come on the market on 27 feb 2012

the connector is not like ipod but it's same like that from asus transformer ( physical)

Attachments

• image001.gif
    image001.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 319
  • image004.gif
    image004.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 290
  • image005.gif
    image005.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,193

assdksl

Nov 28, 2010
Niš
the power adaptor at 30euro

also usb to hdmi cable at 12 euro and the dock at 42 euro

all will come on the market on 27 feb 2012

the connector is not like ipod but it's same like that from asus transformer ( physical)

Can you please post some links?

Now little offtopic...
I have already asked before, but I would like to know if someone else is experiencing time drifting with this device.
Clock drift is happening with and without automatic Network-provided time setting checked. I would like to know the reason. Also if I untick this setting, clock desinchronize very quickly. And time offset is about 20, 30 minutes, until I restart device. So with manual or automatic settings, clock desinchronize in time, and only restart is helping.

I have solved the problem by installing ClockSync app, but I would like someone to explain to me, why is this happening? Is it hardware or software? I have sim card from same provider on another phone and my network sync time is working just fine? My tetris had correct clock, and this is annoying because everything, emails, gps, chat are messed up if clock is wrong :(

And one more question: It happens that camera doesn't initialize, and I can't use it until I restart. Does anyone experiencing this too?

adrianx26

Jul 12, 2009
Bucuresti
soon from the vendor(S) of the tablet (vodafone and the rest)

it will come in vodafone price lists....

also I can confirm that the ZTE can unlock your tablet, but not directly, you must place the unlock order to the carrier and pay their price (my has 50Euro and take 4 days to receive the network unlock code)

Last edited:

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
Does anyne else have the problem when nothing is the "open with" menu?
Example: clcking on a web link in gmail the screen darkens but no options??
It sometimes works ,sometimes nothing, any fix for this?

adrianx26

Jul 12, 2009
Bucuresti
zsolti256 I dont have this problem try to update the gmail and the rest of your apps

sangemaru I can make a firmware.... but until I'm sure 100% that I can recover my tablet, I will not do try. Also we dont have the stock version, to burn back in place.

Last edited:

hun_gery

Nov 21, 2010

zsolti256

Sep 13, 2010
zsolti256 I dont have this problem try to update the gmail and the rest of your apps

sangemaru I can make a firmware.... but until I'm sure 100% that I can recover my tablet, I will not do try. Also we dont have the stock version, to burn back in place.

recovery works just fine, and we do have stock firmware and backup process works too.

xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1502058

raseagle

Jan 12, 2011
Thanx! One question....

If I do this through ubuntu, I not have to install drivers?? Or it's better do through Windows??

Enviado desde mi Desire HD usando Tapatalk

datar

Dec 26, 2008
Does anyne else have the problem when nothing is the "open with" menu?
Example: clcking on a web link in gmail the screen darkens but no options??
It sometimes works ,sometimes nothing, any fix for this?

When this happens try flipping vertically the tablet when the screens darkens. You will magically see the "open with" menu on the screen. That problem only happens the first time you reboot the tablet and I guess it has something to do with de screen size coordinates.

Last edited:
Reactions: zsolti256

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The information provided in this thread is no longer up to date, although useful troubleshooting information can be found for those having issues. For those who would prefer to have the most up-to-date versions of CM9, CM10 or ParanoidAndroid supported by an awesome developer, go here

WARNING: IF YOU UPDATE YOUR TABLETS TO THE LATEST v03 UPDATES OF THE OFFICIAL ROM, YOU WILL LOSE THE ABILITY TO ROOT IT USING THE SUPERBOOT METHOD AND IT WILL BECOME A HUGE PAIN TO RE-INSTALL CWM/CUSTOM ROMS. INSTRUCTIONS FOR THIS SITUATION ARE PRESENTED BELOW, BUT PLEASE KEEP THIS IN MIND AND TRY TO READ THE THREAD CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING SUCH CHANGES.

For those who need it, you can find a nandroid backup of Vodafone Romania's stock ROM for the v71a, here

Hello friends. With great thanks to utkanos, Koush and mobilx we now have a public alpha CWM and root available on both the ZTE V11A and the V71A, also known as the SFR StarTab 7/10, Vodafone SmartTab 7/10, as well as Sprint's (ZTE) V55 with credits due to utkanos for porting CWM, mobilx for being arguably the most motivated searcher of the holy root grail, and PaulOBrien from modaco and his superboot solution. We also thank alterbridge86 and eldarerathis for their advice and support. Additionally, credits go to joe.stone for custom kernel with loop device support, OC, touched voltages and a few other goodies.
    Also, for interested developers, I have made the source code of the kernel available in a more easily accessible fashion. The source code (3 parts, contains the source for both models) is available here:
    Part 1, Part 2, Part 3.

INSTALLING CWM:
    A new optimized version of CWM for 7"and 10" tabs has been put together by joe.stone. I will also keep utkanos' links available below for those who prefer his versions or wish to thank him for his early efforts in making our tablets awesome :)

For those who have troubles with cwm recovery (freeze while backup ) i have created a new version. Flashable from fastboot.
    10" CWM Recovery
    7" CWM Recovery
    Credit goes to joe.stone.

If you updated your tablet ROM via OTA or updater exe and can no longer install CWM, follow the following instructions:.
    In firmware v03b fastboot flash is disabled and from a running system flash_image will fail too.
    Download the twrp recovery http://goo.im/devs/joestone/twrp/v71_recovery.img
    download the twrp recovery zip flashable version too
    http://goo.im/devs/joestone/twrp/V71A_TWRP.zip
    download kernel #60
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/tzrUo5_N/v7_kernel_60.html?

copy the two zip files to the sdcard

If you want flash kernel#60 then do the following:
    adb reboot bootloader
    the tablet will reboot and you will get only a blank screen . Be sure that the drivers are installed from windows update for the fastboot interface.
    check it with : fastboot devices. If you get waiting for device the drivers are not installed.
    fastboot boot v71_recovery.img
    The twrp recovery comes up. Now you can install twrp by selecting install menu. Browse to the v71twrp.zip on the sd and install it. Now you have permanent twrp recovery.
    now go back to install menu browse to the v7_kernel_60.zip and install it.
    reboot and enjoy.

These are kernel #60 links for the other models :

Sprint Optik (V55)
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/RTZrSXyV/v55_kernel_60.html?

SmartTab10 (V11A)
    http://www.4shared.com/zip/PrW1TWHF/v10_kernel_60.html?

OR

You can flash cwm using adb , you need root rights .The best is when adbd is running in root mode (for eaxample kernel#60).
    Download this :flash_image binary

then turn on usb debugging.
    to flash cwm you need the following commands:
    adb push CWMrecovery.img /data/local/tmp
    (where cwmrecovery.img is the name of the cwm image file name.)
    adb push flash_image /data/local/tmp
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tmp/flash_image
    adb shell (you need # not $ for flashing , so if you got $ type su to get #)
    cd /data/local/tmp
    ./flash_image /dev/block/mmcblk0p18 CWMrecovery.img

Dont forget to remove the install-recovery.sh file from /system/etc othervise it will install stock recovery at system start if it has not the stock recovery.

To revert the bootloader you need to flash NON-HLOS.bin"to "/dev/block/mmcblk0p1" and "emmc_appsboot.mbn" to "/dev/block/mmcblk0p7" from a previous version .

Utkanos' v11a version is here.
    Utkanos' v71a version is here.
    Credit goes to utkanos, mobilx and koush. I have also attached these files at the end of the post.
    Also attached, is the original 7-inch stock recovery file, for users who may wish to return to stock and have not performed backup.

--> Plug your tablet into usb, launch a command line, and use "adb reboot bootloader"
    --> Download the CWM Recovery image from the link that fits your device.
    --> Place it into the adb/fastboot folder (I am assuming you have downloaded fastboot already from the link above, during the root procedure).
    --> In the command line, navigate to that folder (use "cd <path>").
    --> input the command "fastboot flash recovery <filename>".
    --> Reboot into recovery mode (should be Power + Volume down).
    --> You should now be in CWM Recovery, and can now attempt to perform a nandroid backup.

Also, in order to prevent a possible hang, you should:

--> Reboot the tablet into the Android OS;
    --> Mount it through USB;
    --> Go into the clockworkmod folder;
    --> Create an empty file with no extension called ".hidenandroidprogress"

After a period of testing this will be submitted to the Koush's Rom Manager. Source code is also available herehere, linked from utkanos' post.

What works:
    Nandroid backup/restore on internal sdcard
    Battery stats wipe
    Dalvik wipe
    Cache wipe
    etc.

What does not work so far:
    USB mass storage

credits:
    utkanos
    Koush

Modified Kernel Available, all credits to joe.stone, give him thanks here:

Here it is.;)

There is a new kernel version available. The new version is #60 and flashable from cwm recovery .
    Changelog :
    -Revert GPU overclock
    -Revert change of system audio files (because of bootloops on some devices after installation #55)
    -Increased system volume on kernel level
    -Changed VMALLOC_RESERVE=0x19000000 to VMALLOC_RESERVE=0x10000000
    -Added Apple Magicmouse HID support
    -Added Microsoft HID support
    -Changed cpu minimum freq 345MHz to 432 MHz to avoid the black screen effect (the screen does not wake up , you have to reset )

V55_kernel_60.zip Hope will work fine on v55.
    V7_kernel_60.zip
    V10_kernel_60.zip
    Also, Benny3 has put together a CWM-flashable ROM package for the V55 tablet, including Joe's kernel #60 and a number of useful goodies. You can thank him and download the package from here.

Both device (v71, v11) were migrated into one kernel tree , so they both use the same source. (In case of v71 it is much newer source)
    The whole kernel source was updated from the v55 sources .

Now they are in cwm recovery flashable format , because this package updates the kernel modules too in /system/lib/modules and enables to use the agps and NTP server setting was corrected . It points to europe.pool.ntp.org instead of the test one . Now my tab finds position within seconds . With the new kernel for me it seems the touchscreen is much better , but as before I am waiting for the feedbacks. Other fixes include: Touchscreen sensitivity, USB Charging etc.

Installation :
    download the zip file
    copy it to your tab's internal storage
    start the tab in clockworkmod recovery
    select install zip from sdcard
    select the file for your model
    install
    reboot

and stock kernel for 10" :
    stock kernel[/QUOTE]

Finally, if you want to obtain a dump of boot.img, please consider the following advice, also by mobilx, here:
    It is a mmcblk device not mtdblock

dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p8 of=/sdcard/boot_backup.img
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18 of=/sdcard/recovery_backup.img

ROOTING:
    It is recommended that you skip these steps and proceed to flashing clockwork mod for your respective device from the start using fastboot, and from inside CWM install joe's kernel (or custom rom), which you can find below. Joe's kernels and rom already come with significant updates to stock Vodafone systems, and are pre-rooted.
    We will use superboot to root. What does superboot do? It puts the SU binary and makes a 'insecure' kernel to be loaded temporarily on to the device through ADB remount. So it's only purpose is to make ROOT. After execution, you will still be on the stock kernel, only with root privileges.

This method is for the advanced users only who want to have root before we have a fully functional CWM running. With the CWM the root method will be easier.

IMPORTANT!
    At this point we have no way to repair a broken device to a factory state. We can unroot and that is it. It is advisable do make dump of your rom before making any changes to the system. We are not responsible for any damage that can occur in the root process and after that.

What will you need?

--> Download Fastboot+Superboot.img from here.
    --> Install ADB through the SDK, download from here, although the ADB included with the ZTE drivers should also work.
    --> Install the ZTE drivers, you can find them here, although they should already be included on your device when first mounting it.
    --> don't forget to enable USB debugging in the tablet's application settings.
    --> Put the fastboot.exe and the superboot.img files in the working directory you will be running adb from (Default should be at "C:\Program Files\ZTE Handset USB Driver".
    --> Open a Command Line (Start Menu > Run > CMD) and navigate to the working directory. (Use "cd C:\Program Files\ZTE Handset USB Driver" or alter the path accordingly).

--> Write the following commands withing the command line:
    --> adb reboot bootloader
    --> fastboot boot superboot.img

--> The device should now boot with the Superuser.apk installed and SU in the /system/xbin/su, as well as allowing you adb root commands. Now run the following:
    --> adb remount
    --> adb shell
    --> ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su

--> You can now exit the ADB shell and reboot the tablet.

--> Install busybox from the market and check the SU binary version with the Superuser.apk - try to update. If it succeed you are done.

Credits:
    sangemaru
    utkanos
    PaulOBrien from modaco and his superboot solution
    New kernel version

I have updated the kernel. The new version is #40 .
    Both device (v71, v11) were migrated into one kernel tree , so they both use the same source. (In case of v71 it is much newer source)
    The whole kernel source was updated from the v55 sources .

Now they are in cwm recovery flashable format , because this package updates the kernel modules too in /system/lib/modules and enables to use the agps and NTP server setting was corrected . It points to europe.pool.ntp.org instead of the test one . Now my tab finds position within seconds . With the new kernel for me it seems the touchscreen is much better , but as before I am waiting for the feedbacks .

Installation :
    download the zip file
    copy it to your tab's internal storage
    start the tab in clockworkmod recovery
    select install zip from sdcard
    browse to v10_kernel_40.zip in case of 10" model
    or browse to v7_kernel_40.zip in case of 7" model
    select to install
    reboot

Download :
    For 7" model
    v7_kernel_40.zip

For 10" model
    v10_kernel_40.zip

and stock kernel for 10" :
    stock kernel
    Some ICS news

The sound is working , the wifi is half working .
    287518_cm4.png

287518_cm5.png
    New kernel version

I have updated the kernel , because the PPTP VPN was not working .
    With the new version the PPTP VPN is working normally with encryption . It was tested with two different MS ISA server .
    bootv7oc.img is for 7" model
    bootv10oc.img is for 10" model
    You can download it from here.
    Both model should show the following kernel version :
    custkerneloc2.png
    Ok lets roll

While we are waiting for CWM to be build we can root ZTE V11A/V71A aka Vodafone SmartTab 10/7 with the superboot.
    What the superboot does? It puts SU binary and makes a 'insecure' kernel to be loaded temporally on to device( ADB remount). So it's only purpose is to make ROOT. After reboot you are on your old kernel but with the root.

This method is for the advanced users only who want to have root before we build a CWM. With the CWM the root method will be easier.

IMPORTANT!
    At this point we have no way to repair a broken device to a factory state. We can unroot and that is it. It is advisable do make dump of your rom before making any changes to the system. We are not responsible for any damage that can occur in the root process and after that.

What we need?

ADB installed through SDK
    Zte drivers installed --> debugging ticked in options

fastboot + superboot.img --> Put files in the adb working dir

>adb reboot bootloader
    >fastboot boot superboot.img

Device should boot with Superuser.apk installed and SU in the /system/xbin/su.

>adb remount
    >adb shell
    #ln -s /system/xbin/su /system/bin/su

Install busybox from the market and check the SU binary version with the Superuser.apk - try to update. If it succeed you are done.

#exit
    $exit
    >adb reboot

Device will reboot with the stock kernel but rooted.

Credits:
    sangemaru
    utkanos
    PaulOBrien from modaco and his superboot solution