Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update

Search This thread

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
Same here. I got my tablet back today. I turned it on, connected to wifi and it prompted me to update. I did. Wifi, not Kies. Same problem. It won't shut down. I will contact Samsung again tomorrow.

So I got my tablet today and I turned it on to see that it had android software 4.1.1. Then the software update icon popped up and I updated to 4.2.2. Then the same problem happened again like the last time. The tablet wouldn't turn off and it would automatically restart. I contacted Samsung Support again and they had me do a factory reset which then fried my tablet again. It doesn't turn on. So now I have to send it back again for a 2nd time. This time they said they may have to replace the tablet either with the same tablet or a different model tablet. But I stressed to them to make sure to update the tablet this time to 4.2.2 so they can see the problem I'm facing. We shall see next week I guess what happens.

d86

Sep 4, 2013
Same here. I got my tablet back today. I turned it on, connected to wifi and it prompted me to update. I did. Wifi, not Kies. Same problem. It won't shut down. I will contact Samsung again tomorrow.

Yeah, the first time I did the update it was through Kies. This time it was done OTA. Same results both times. I sent it back to them today. I'll give an update in a week or so.

SebasC

Nov 16, 2007
Cokato, MN
Yeah, the first time I did the update it was through Kies. This time it was done OTA. Same results both times. I sent it back to them today. I'll give an update in a week or so.

Sending it in is not going to fix it, the software they're going to provide you is the same everyone else is getting. The problem will remain unless their product team fixes the software problem... No point in losing your tablet for a few days and return it to you with the same crap...

Ceapea

Sep 15, 2013
I think that I found a way to temporarily (until Samsung/Android fixes the problem) shut down the Tab 2. After having the unit reboot several times, I plugged it in and tried shutting it down. It rebooted once, then I was able to shut it down. I repeated this two more times, it works. At least now it will shut down. If you want, you can then unplug it. It stays off at that point.
In addition to this problem, I didn't like the update anyway. I hope to go back to 4.2.1
Stupid me for downloading it without checking on the update.
Android better fix this...quick!

Good luck

Last edited:

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
The Samsung repair place is simply rolling the firmware back. That provides a fix for the problem at hand. It does not provide a fix for the bad firmware. I guess I will have to set the tablet to not update for the time being.

I have corresponded with several agents online and they claim Samsung has no other notifications of this problem. They all appear to be idiots. The phone service has been pretty good.

Last edited:

Ceapea

Sep 15, 2013
The Samsung repair place is simply rolling the firmware back. That provides a fix for the problem at hand. It does not provide a fix for the bad firmware. I guess I will have to set the tablet to not update for the time being.

I have corresponded with several agents online and they claim Samsung has no other notifications of this problem. They all appear to be idiots. The phone service has been pretty good.

Interesting. I talked with them (Samsung) yesterday. They said that they have no control over the updates and cannot reverse (or revert to last update). They said it all falls on Android to create and distribute the updates. Samsung has no copy of any firmware that they can provide. I did give them the sequence that I came up with to shut down the device. It does work, I have performed the process at least seven times now.

Ceapea

Sep 15, 2013
Well, my Tab 2 is now working correctly. My wife tried shutting it down, and it rebooted, like it has since the firmware update.
She asked me to shut it down. That was when I had seen that there was an update for HP printer driver(???).

After the update was complete, the Tab now shuts down correctly, every time. Go figure.

jjscheel

Sep 21, 2013
HP Printer update worked for me

Well, my Tab 2 is now working correctly. My wife tried shutting it down, and it rebooted, like it has since the firmware update.
She asked me to shut it down. That was when I had seen that there was an update for HP printer driver(???).

After the update was complete, the Tab now shuts down correctly, every time. Go figure.

Sounds like your wife should join Samsung support!

I too tried only updating the HP ePrint application and that appears to have solved it. FWIW, my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is not rooted and has been experiencing the same problem since update. Because I travel alot, I've had time to play with things such that I could get Power Off to work if I did it immediately after a restart. And, IIRC, all of them would work for awhile. That makes me suspicious that the ePrint update may be a red herring.

I'm on the road again next week and will have plenty of opportunity to see if the problem returns. Will post an update if problem returns.

FWIW, I work in the SW industry and don't believe for a minute that Samsung lets someone else ship the OS for their hardware. Sure, the base Android OS is opensource, but Samsung most certainly customizes it for their platform. They *should* be testing it as well and admitting their mistakes. Thank heavens for the Internet and smart wives!

Last edited:

jjscheel

Sep 21, 2013
UPDATE: HP Printer update worked for me

I too tried only updating the HP ePrint application and that appears to have solved it. FWIW, my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 is not rooted and has been experiencing the same problem since update. Because I travel alot, I've had time to play with things such that I could get Power Off to work if I did it immediately after a restart. And, IIRC, all of them would work for awhile. That makes me suspicious that the ePrint update may be a red herring.
Well, intermittently my tablet still restarts are Power Off. It's better but not perfect. If it restarts, I can immediately Power Off again and (so far) it seems to succeed. I've made no changes to settings, nor loaded any updates. Just "normal" use like reading emails, posting to G+, etc.

For those who are still struggling, see if there are any commonalities with what I've suggested. Can you restart and Power Off immediately? Do you have the HP ePrint driver on your system? Does your behavior change after updating it?

Ceapea

Sep 15, 2013
Well, intermittently my tablet still restarts are Power Off. It's better but not perfect. If it restarts, I can immediately Power Off again and (so far) it seems to succeed. I've made no changes to settings, nor loaded any updates. Just "normal" use like reading emails, posting to G+, etc.

For those who are still struggling, see if there are any commonalities with what I've suggested. Can you restart and Power Off immediately? Do you have the HP ePrint driver on your system? Does your behavior change after updating it?

Yeah, mine started the reboot thing again in a few days. I agree with you about the HP eprint idea, wasn't a fix in the first place. Just a coincidence.
I too can shut it down after/on the second attempt.

jjscheel

Sep 21, 2013
Re: HP Printer update worked for me

Yeah, mine started the reboot thing again in a few days. I agree with you about the HP eprint idea, wasn't a fix in the first place. Just a coincidence.
I too can shut it down after/on the second attempt.

Agree. Traveled Monday and the tablet still restarts on Power Off intermittently (after being on for a bit) but will indeed Power Off on the second attempt. This is different behavior. Before applying the ePrint driver update it would repeatedly restart on Power Off.

gilmartin.matt

Sep 25, 2013
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down

Hi. I hope this is the correct forum. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update. I believe I had 4.2.1 and now I have 4.2.2. My device name is is GT-P5113. I plugged the Tab into my computer and Kies opened automatically. It said there was an update for my device so I updated.

All seems to be ok, but now when I choose to "shut down" the tablet shuts down and then cycles back on as if I had just pressed the power button to turn it back on.

I guess it could be worse - it could be refusing to turn on.

Is there a fix for this? Anybody else had this problem?

It is not rooted and I don't really want to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I had this exact same problem- here's the fix:

Go into application manager, go to "all apps", and find "software update". Stop and then remove the software update V6. After reboot the tablet will shut down.

I banged my head on this one for a while, figured I'd share what I learned here.

Matt

Reactions: batkinson001

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
Update!

It just arrived by UPS. I opened the box and powered it on. It now has the 4.2.2 update and powers off. The repair statement says the replaced the GH82-06506A A/S ASSY-PB Main. I have no idea what that might be.

Go into application manager, go to "all apps", and find "software update". Stop and then remove the software update V6. After reboot the tablet will shut down.

I banged my head on this one for a while, figured I'd share what I learned here.

Matt

d86

Sep 4, 2013
It just arrived by UPS. I opened the box and powered it on. It now has the 4.2.2 update and powers off. The repair statement says the replaced the GH82-06506A A/S ASSY-PB Main. I have no idea what that might be.

That's great to hear. I just received the email yesterday stating that they replaced a defective part "GH82-06506A A/S ASSY-PBA MAIN (XAR)" which reads similar to yours. I should be getting it next week. I'll update the board once I get my tablet back.

Thanks for your update.

beezerhale

Apr 8, 2013
Good to hear. Mine is still working smoothly. I am sure yours will, too.

That's great to hear. I just received the email yesterday stating that they replaced a defective part "GH82-06506A A/S ASSY-PBA MAIN (XAR)" which reads similar to yours. I should be getting it next week. I'll update the board once I get my tablet back.

Thanks for your update.

idahospud88

Oct 1, 2013

Matt

I can see how to stop it but can you tell me how to remove it? It does work once I stop it and reboot then it will power off but after a restart it won't shut down again. Just need to know how to remove the software v6.

Thanks.

d86

Sep 4, 2013
Got my tablet back from Samsung...

And the problem has been fixed. It seems replacing that part, "GH82-06506A A/S ASSY-PBA MAIN (XAR)", was the issue. I had to update to 4.2.2 again but now the tablet turns off successfully.

batkinson001

May 1, 2012
Oshawa
I have the exact same problem with BOTH my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (Wi-Fi only) It's a software problem for sure...

I have this problem as well, my tab 2 10.1 (p5113) is not rooted or anything, just wanted the update (which wasn't available in Canada yet), found a copy of the update on an android page with steps to flash using odin... worked perfectly, until i went to shut down... the tab will in my experience reboot after the first shut down atempt... i just turn it off after it reboots... I haven't had it do this more than once per shut down atempt.

jec1947

Oct 7, 2013
shut down solution

I think I have a solution for the shutdown problem. With the tablet plugged into the wall, press and hold the power button untill the tablet shuts down. Do not do anything else. It can take ten to fifteen seconds. The battery icon will show up then unplug the power. It worked for me.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down

Hi. I hope this is the correct forum. My Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (10.1) won't shut down after the latest firmware update. I believe I had 4.2.1 and now I have 4.2.2. My device name is is GT-P5113. I plugged the Tab into my computer and Kies opened automatically. It said there was an update for my device so I updated.

All seems to be ok, but now when I choose to "shut down" the tablet shuts down and then cycles back on as if I had just pressed the power button to turn it back on.

I guess it could be worse - it could be refusing to turn on.

Is there a fix for this? Anybody else had this problem?

It is not rooted and I don't really want to do so.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Matt
    Sorry I missed this post. They did reformat.

Did they have to restore or format the Tab to fix it?
    I will be sending mine in, but I don't want to loose everything.

Thanks.
    Fix?

I just signed up for the forum because I believe that I may have found a solution to this problem. Keep in mind, I am not a developer and if you choose to follow my advice you do so at your own risk. Here is what I found and what I did.

1. Go to Settings -> Application manager and swipe over to ALL.

2. Scroll down until you see Software update. In my case there were two of them. One of them is Version v6_1306_2_1 and the other was around Version 3 or so. If you notice the one that is Version v6, you have the option to "Force stop", but "Turn off" is grayed out. In the other version, "Turn off" is available.

What I did was "Force stop" then selected "Clear cache" on both of them. I also selected "Turn off" on the one that had that button available.

My device then shut off properly. When I turned it back on and went back to Settings -> Application manager -> All, I only had one instance of Software update running. My device has now turned off properly 5 times in a row.

I hope this helps everybody. Please post and spread the word if this works for you.