[GUIDE][07/01] Flashing ICS FIRMWARE 3.12 base img files.

Search This thread

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
DISCLAIMER. Do it at your own risk.. I am not responsible for bricks....bla bla bla, usual stuff.

If in doubt-STAY AWAY!

Q/A First.
Do I HAVE to flash this FW? - YES, if you want to flash ICS 4.0.3 based rom. If not, it just won't boot. Latest firmware works with previous (2.3.4,2.3.5,4.0.1) roms.
Do I NEED SuperCID? - YES, it will help in case you need to revert and if your CID is not on the update.zip list
Will I lose S-OFF? - NO
Can I use this FW with earlier builds? - YES
Will I lose fastboot commands like flash splash1? - Yes
Is it safe? Never 100% but no fails so far. Flash at your own risk
Can I revert to previous hboot, like 1.17? Yes, make sure you are superCID.
Any disadvantages? None so far
Any advantages? More optimised fw/drivers for ICS. Users report faster ROM operation.
Why does it say ***LOCKED*** in bootloader? Because hboot is locked (don't panic)
Can I go back to **REVOLUTIONARY**? Yes, flash 1.17 HBOOT at the bottom of OP.

HOW TO

0. Make sure you are S-OFF and superCID. Check HERE
1. Download zip from HERE Credits to rmk40, this is FW I used).
2. Do nandroid backup.
3. Copy/paste PG58xxxxx to the root of your microSD
4. Make sure MD5 match!!! MD5 checker I use HERE
4. Make sure MD5 match again!!!
4. And once again, make sure MD5 match.
5. Reboot into bootloader (if you don't know how to do it, don't do any of that at all)
6. microSD will be scanned and will ask you if you want to update, press +vol for YES
7. Follow onscreen instructions.
8. Now just pull sd card out if you don't have microSD reader or delete PG58xxxx if you do. PG58 will prevent you from going into recovery if phone sees it.
9. Reboot into bootloader-go to recovery
10. Put your SD card back in
11. Reboot or flash new rom
12. You are done. Just delete that PG58 file so it doesn't stop you getting into recovery again.

REVERT TO 1.17 HBOOT

Paste on root of SD card, make sure MD5 matches. Repeat update from bootloader (steps 1-12 from above) and you should be done.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.

Remember, if you flash RUU, then process is slightly different and will most likely involve unlocking via HTCDEV (haven't really looked into it)

Last edited:

piplewis

May 26, 2008
Tenby
I've already followed the steps as in mike1986's thread and all went well, but what is the benefit of reverting to 1.17 HBOOT?

Reactions: JWhipple

Hawke84

Jan 14, 2010
Worthing, UK
nice work on the thread mate, do you want to include a note that mikes files will update the radio too, just make sure everyone is clear on what is updates

Reactions: undercover

jjdoctor

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
nice work on the thread mate, do you want to include a note that mikes files will update the radio too, just make sure everyone is clear on what is updates

So there will be no possibility of downgrading the radio?...our i have to revert to 1.17 to flash older radios?

I have 10.56 and i m satisfied with it...

mrg02d

Jul 3, 2011
Tallahassee
I want to try this so bad, but I am scared as heck! What do we need to know before doing this? Such as, what do we risk other than an all out brick? Will we be able to go back to what we have now?

Matt

mrg02d

Jul 3, 2011
Tallahassee
Looks like it worked for me. I am restoring a ROM right now. After that, ill revert back to the previous bootloader. So far, so good!

So now, where do you guys see the improvements?

Matt

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator

jjdoctor

May 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
Does your bootloader screen show **locked** in pink color ?

Yes it shows Locked in pink... My hboot is now 1.20

My radio didn't upgrade... I still have 10.56....

I flashed it over Ultimite ROM... i thought it will erase my ROM but nothing changed....:-/

It flashed everything but showed cid error in last one... I don't know what was it....

So now i have to go back to 1.17, supercid using adb and fish 1.20 again?

I supercid using terminal emulator... I guess that didn't work...

jjdoctor

May 3, 2011
Rawalpindi
Never in my life i used adb stuff... :-/

never tried to learn it either... But i guess i have to learn it now..

Now tell me what to do?

should i download hboot 1.17, flash it and then reflash 1.20 after supercid?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DISCLAIMER. Do it at your own risk.. I am not responsible for bricks....bla bla bla, usual stuff.

If in doubt-STAY AWAY!

Q/A First.
    Do I HAVE to flash this FW? - YES, if you want to flash ICS 4.0.3 based rom. If not, it just won't boot. Latest firmware works with previous (2.3.4,2.3.5,4.0.1) roms.
    Do I NEED SuperCID? - YES, it will help in case you need to revert and if your CID is not on the update.zip list
    Will I lose S-OFF? - NO
    Can I use this FW with earlier builds? - YES
    Will I lose fastboot commands like flash splash1? - Yes
    Is it safe? Never 100% but no fails so far. Flash at your own risk
    Can I revert to previous hboot, like 1.17? Yes, make sure you are superCID.
    Any disadvantages? None so far
    Any advantages? More optimised fw/drivers for ICS. Users report faster ROM operation.
    Why does it say ***LOCKED*** in bootloader? Because hboot is locked (don't panic)
    Can I go back to **REVOLUTIONARY**? Yes, flash 1.17 HBOOT at the bottom of OP.

HOW TO

0. Make sure you are S-OFF and superCID. Check HERE
    1. Download zip from HERE Credits to rmk40, this is FW I used).
    2. Do nandroid backup.
    3. Copy/paste PG58xxxxx to the root of your microSD
    4. Make sure MD5 match!!! MD5 checker I use HERE
    4. Make sure MD5 match again!!!
    4. And once again, make sure MD5 match.
    5. Reboot into bootloader (if you don't know how to do it, don't do any of that at all)
    6. microSD will be scanned and will ask you if you want to update, press +vol for YES
    7. Follow onscreen instructions.
    8. Now just pull sd card out if you don't have microSD reader or delete PG58xxxx if you do. PG58 will prevent you from going into recovery if phone sees it.
    9. Reboot into bootloader-go to recovery
    10. Put your SD card back in
    11. Reboot or flash new rom
    12. You are done. Just delete that PG58 file so it doesn't stop you getting into recovery again.

REVERT TO 1.17 HBOOT

Paste on root of SD card, make sure MD5 matches. Repeat update from bootloader (steps 1-12 from above) and you should be done.

If anyone has anything to add, feel free.

Remember, if you flash RUU, then process is slightly different and will most likely involve unlocking via HTCDEV (haven't really looked into it)
    Thank you, that helps.
    If it does not matter, why does (for example) mike1986 ask me to use 10.58.9035.00U_10.15.9035.02_2 radio with the Android Revolution HD™ 5.0.2 XE | ICS | Sense 3.5 ROM?

I'm not seeing bad performance with my current (stock) radio but there must be some logic to his request for a particular radio to be paired with a ROM.

---------- Post added at 04:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:02 AM ----------

I understand the radio but the RIL link you provided still leaves me in the dark a bit. It says at the bottom of the first post:
    if a ROM has a recommended radio , the ROM is already Pre-Matched to that Radio...
    I am installing ARHD Roms at the moment and they all have radio recommendations.

As I said, the dev (Mike in this case) has chosen to include RIL files in the ARHD ROM which match to a specific radio. I do not know why he picked this one, maybe he used it himself or someone he trusts did, but it may or may not work better for you and your phone. You can either flash your current radio up to match the RIL which is included in the version of ARHD you are flashing, or you can download and flash the RIL file which corresponds to the radio you have now. Either way will work fine, and if you find that a radio/RIL pair are not giving you good coverage or data transfer speeds, then you can flash a different radio/RIL pair until you find the best one for you.
    Okay, so hopefully you guys can help. This may be a noob question but I know flashing a new Radio has its risks.
    I have ARHD (S-off, SCID etc) but want to follow the instructions to a T.
    Mike1986's instructions say:
    I strongly recommend flashing 10.58.9035.00U_10.15.9035.02_2 radio

The description of it I have seen on other threads shows "Europe" so I wanted to make sure this was just a label and it will in fact work on my USA Sensation with TMobile?

More importantly...If successful, I wanted to try -
    Android Revolution HD with Ice Cream Sandwich & HTC Sense 3.5
    ...which asks you to flash a different radio.
    If I don't like it or it is slow, I would need to flash back to the other Radio and the ROM, correct?

Thank you in advance.

Noob-a-la-herp-derp

You can use your radio of choice as different radios seem to give different results for different phones, just make sure to match the radio version to the appropriate RIL version. the radio is not hardware but more like a firmware or driver in Windows type terminology. The RIL is like the hardware abstraction layer component. Check the threads below and you can see which combination gives you the best results for your area. The newest version is not always the best version for your phone and area.

The reason why one radio or another is "recommended" as part of a ROM package is just that the devs liked it for whatever reason and decides to recommend it. The radio is not part of the ROM, but the RIL files are. So you can either flash your radio (up most likely) to match the included RIL, or you can keep your current radio, flash the (new) ROM, then reboot into recovery, mount /system, then flash the RIL files to match your current radio.

Sensation radios
    Sensation RIL files

Edit: to find your current radio, go into Settings, About Phone, Software Information, More and look at the Baseband version. To check the RIL, open a terminal, type in getprop gsm.version.ril-impl
    ^^^^ what he said. Superb explanation.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using XDA App