MHL Cable and WiFi Cut Off

Search This thread

ferrocene

May 7, 2010
I didn't do anything special. Just plugged it in. They had a couple different ones on monoprice. Did you get the same one I linked? It is the only one that says it will work with the sgs2. Mine works great and the picture quality is pretty good. I would try and just exchange it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

So I got a replacement one today (damn monoprice, you fast!) and this one does the same thing. Charges the phone with wifi working just fine, but when I connect HDMI, wifi and cell cut out. I may bring this adapter to best Buy and see if I can try with one of the store models...maybe I have a defective phone? Seems to be a pretty weird/specific defect though.

roswellkidd

Jun 1, 2011
Similar issue here, when I plug the phone into the TV with the MHL adapter I get the mirrored image on the screen, but the cell service drops out. Ordering an official samsung cable from amazon today, but I have a feeling it's the phone at fault, phone is only a few days old so I'll just return it if the samsung cable doesn't work. For those of you who have it working, can you browse the web, and watch youtube and netflix while on the 3g/4g service (Not on wifi)? I don't have highspeed at home, so I am completely dependent on the 3g service and just wanted to make sure youtube and netflix should work with that. Thanks.

roadrash7

Aug 20, 2010
Whats up with these problems. I just got a fosmon and it is faulty the micro usb connector sucks and needs to be pushed down for it to work and it only works though my computer it wont work on a wall charger. Cheap crap. Sending it back gonna try something else. Dont get a Fosmon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using xda premium

Luken10

Feb 1, 2009
I bought the Samsung cable on amazon, it should be here on Tuesday. So I will let everyone know what it does regarding WiFi cutoff, hopefully it works!

BigDogPooh

Mar 21, 2006
Catskill
I bought the Samsung cable on amazon, it should be here on Tuesday. So I will let everyone know what it does regarding WiFi cutoff, hopefully it works!

I just bought one from Amazon as well and it should be here Tuesday as well. I'll report out as well.

---------- Post added at 10:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

I just bought one from Amazon as well and it should be here Tuesday as well. I'll report out as well.

I think i need to say "as well" just one more time. LOL

ferrocene

May 7, 2010
Just to add to my previous findings, I was able to get wifi and MHL to work for about 5 minutes over the weekend.

Right now it seems like a dark art/black magic, but it involved going into and out of Airplane mode several times, and one time it stuck, and I had both.

I'm still going through the log files.

djb2ile

Nov 9, 2011
heres what i got

hey guys,

i'm in the same boat, i just got my mhl adapter today from monoprice. i also ordered a bluetooth keyboard so that i could hang out and use my phone as a computer basically in my room. it shuts of cell service for sure. wifi still works. i was a little disappointed with the display, the top of the screen is a little cut off, i.e. wifi, clock, etc. i tried streaming netflix and it looks like vhs, i'll survive if this is how it is for everyone but i just want to make sure this is really how its supposed to look. thanks!

Luken10

Feb 1, 2009
I got the official Samsung MHL cable today. I can confirm it works completely, no WIFI cutt-off issues. Everything seemed to work fine, full mirroring of the devices screen. On amazon it's only 30 bucks, so i would recommend to just spring for the official one to avoid any issues. Plus it matches the phone!

roswellkidd

Jun 1, 2011
Luken10, does it work on cell service too or only wifi? I don't have wifi at home so I really need to be able to browse the web and watch youtube and netflix through the cell service, yet can't seem to stay connected. thanks

BigDogPooh

Mar 21, 2006
Catskill
I got mine from Amazon and its not the official one. Its a piece of crap. I will be returning and getting the official one. The one i purchased was Menotek. The power supply would not stay in and connect properly. Just kept falling out.

Luken10

Feb 1, 2009
Luken10, does it work on cell service too or only wifi? I don't have wifi at home so I really need to be able to browse the web and watch youtube and netflix through the cell service, yet can't seem to stay connected. thanks

It sure does!

*UPDATE* So I was messing around with the cable some more and it seems to affect Wifi speed dramatically. While using it I ran tons of speed tests and my download speed goes down to .20 - 4 mbps. Most of the time it is around 12. It also stops if you unplug the charger from the MHL cable. , but leave HDMI plugged into the phone. So it must have something to do with power being plugged into the cable. Not sure what to try.

Also I couldn't run a bunch of speed tests with HSDPA because I only have 200mb :( But I ran one and I was getting 4 mbps down which is very normal.

Last edited:
Reactions: roswellkidd

jiannichan

Aug 17, 2009
DFW
I have the Menotek one as well from Amazon. I bought it a few weeks ago and finally got a chance to try it out. Wifi doesn't work here either. Will return it to Amazon tomorrow.

roswellkidd

Jun 1, 2011
awesome, thanks Luken, I guess if my samsung cable ends up not working I'll have to return the phone before my 30 days are up.

AntwanL

Dec 17, 2007
Monmouth, OR
Last edited:

Nizda1

Nov 12, 2011
On the amazon Samsung mhl posted above the product reference/model # starts e1. I switched to the e2 newer model works much better and same price.
After some research e1 is actually an older model

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777

nomb

Aug 27, 2007
I have the E1 Samsung adapter that was mentioned above. Just got it today actually. I original thought I was losing all connectivity. However when I tried with the wifi, the wifi works and the cellular is not. Again though this is just my experience from the adapter.

I originally had bought the Accell adapter and I lost both.

I don't mind buying a bad adapter and returning it. I just really hope it isn't my phone. There is also a little bit of the display cut off at the top.

nomb

Aug 27, 2007
Ok so here is some more info about the Samsung one...

It isn't E1. At least not mine. It is EI. EIA2UHUNBE to be exact. I'm not sure what Nizda1 is talking about because I cant find an E2 model.

I have noticed there are two different variations of this adapter with the same model number. One has the power input on the end with the embeded usb cable, the other has the power input on the side.

I have the first. As I said the wifi works but as soon as an hdmi cable is plugged in, the cellular drops out.

I bought it from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LGUDKK/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It also wasn't retail packaging as stated.

Those with a fully working Samsung one, I would be interested to know where your power input is located and where you purchased it.

Thanks,

nomb

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    owmygulay, Can you control your phone with TV remote control (menu navigations, media transport functions, etc.)?

Thanks

Nope. None of that. Unless I an doing something wrong. It is just a larger display.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

It sure does!

*UPDATE* So I was messing around with the cable some more and it seems to affect Wifi speed dramatically. While using it I ran tons of speed tests and my download speed goes down to .20 - 4 mbps. Most of the time it is around 12. It also stops if you unplug the charger from the MHL cable. , but leave HDMI plugged into the phone. So it must have something to do with power being plugged into the cable. Not sure what to try.

Also I couldn't run a bunch of speed tests with HSDPA because I only have 200mb :( But I ran one and I was getting 4 mbps down which is very normal.