Root JB 4.3 without voiding warranty

Search This thread

Mr_Jay_jay

May 8, 2012
Chi-Town!!
alrights guys I didn't see this anywhere in ur forum so here it is, after exchanging my s4 for a replacement, I got it with 4.3 and all this Knox nonsense already installed, Now I don't really care that much for samsung's warranty but I went out and look for a way to root our latest without triggering Knox counter just head on to the thread below and check it out... it has a catch but I would say it's worth the trade off.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
lol Dude, we just discussed this in another forum and this has been discussed in many forums. :silly:

Anyways... I've used this Verizon method on my buddies ATT Galaxy S4 with a locked bootloader on a 4.3 MK2 baseband. It does not trip the KNOX flag. There are no "trade-offs." It functions well. Chainfires AutoRoot works as well.

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
So with this method you cannot make a nandroid backup OR even restore one?

I have not tried to make a nandroid with a locked BL and will try tomorrow (damn sure it won't work). Best bet is to try Online Nandroid Manager. Nandroid backups require a custom recovery, it has nothing to do with having root.

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
Ive been out of the rooting world for a while, but with research, Ive caught up a little. However I do have a couple of questions;

With this method, can I still install a custom vanilla rom with 4.3/4.4?

If not, what are the benefits?

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
Ive been out of the rooting world for a while, but with research, Ive caught up a little. However I do have a couple of questions;

With this method, can I still install a custom vanilla rom with 4.3/4.4?

If not, what are the benefits?

No, this will only root your phone (give your apps su/superuser access). You will still need to flash a custom recovery (i.e., PhilZ, TWRP, CWM) to flash roms like a custom Vanilla ROM. If you are on 4.2.2 bootloader, you can simply flash a custom recovery and flash the ROM. If you are on 4.3, you will be on the KNOX bootloader and if you flash a custom recovery to flash the ROM, you will void your KNOX warranty. If you don't care about the warranty or has expired, there is no difference.

1) Download Vanilla Rom,
2) Flash custom recovery tar (i.e., PhilZ, TWRP, CWM).
3) Go into recovery and flash rom.
4) ????
5) ??
6) Profit. :p

knipp21

May 23, 2010
FT Riley BIG RED ONE
No, this will only root your phone (give your apps su/superuser access). You will still need to flash a custom recovery (i.e., PhilZ, TWRP, CWM) to flash roms like a custom Vanilla ROM. If you are on 4.2.2 bootloader, you can simply flash a custom recovery and flash the ROM. If you are on 4.3, you will be on the KNOX bootloader and if you flash a custom recovery to flash the ROM, you will void your KNOX warranty. If you don't care about the warranty or has expired, there is no difference.

1) Download Vanilla Rom,
4) ????
5) ??

I dont really care about the warranty, if its samsung and not t mobile.. But that isnt a def answer yet.

And ok, I guess Ill hunt the threads to see how to install the recovery. Thanks man

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
I dont really care about the warranty, if its samsung and not t mobile.. But that isnt a def answer yet.

And ok, I guess Ill hunt the threads to see how to install the recovery. Thanks man

Well, even some of the T-Mobile apps now recognize if you have root and could possibly use that as proof that you voided your warranty. Tmobile/Samsung, vice versa, won't be much difference. You'd just have to find a store person that isn't knowledgeable on the subject and get a replacement. Good luck.

Mr_Jay_jay

May 8, 2012
Chi-Town!!
yea about that!

Yea I notice after I posted LOL.. a and here I was thinking I found the "holy grail" of rooting LOL!! but anyway those that Need to know just like it has been said.. this will get u rooted with out triggering Knox. this only applies to those that upgraded OTA or got their S4 already with JB 4.3 in it.. like I did after a warranty exchange... HOWEVER if u install any Custom Recovery u will trigger the counter VOIDING ur warranty FOREVER!!! LOL well maybe not but at least til someone (and who knows if someone ever will) figures Knox out. So think twice before you do anything, cause no here will take responsability for your actions...

HAPPY FLASHIN!!

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just did this to my T-Mobile SGS4. It worked just as described. The Knox counter wasn't tripped, but Custom is indicated on the Download screen (Vol Down+Home+Power).

Here's what my Download screen now says:

ODIN MODE
PRODUCT NAME: SGH-M919
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
KNOX KERNEL LOCK: 0x0
KNOX WARRANTY VOID: 0x0
CSB-CONFIG-LSB: 0x30
WRITE PROTECTION: Enable
eMMC BURST MODE: enabled

Thanks for the link to the other thread. :good:

Now I can use Titanium Backup, Greenify, ADB - rooted, esFile Explorer - rooted. Not needing a Custom Rom or Custom Recovery yet. And, to get it back to un-rooted, there are instructions in the other thread about that.

Rob

Reactions: Guatiao

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
Just did this to my T-Mobile SGS4. It worked just as described. The Knox counter wasn't tripped, but Custom is indicated on the Download screen (Vol Down+Home+Power).

ODIN MODE

Now I can use Titanium Backup, Greenify, ADB - rooted, esFile Explorer - rooted. Not needing a Custom Rom or Custom Recovery yet. And, to get it back to un-rooted, there are instructions in the other thread about that.

Rob
Just remember, you won't be able to make full nandroid backups (give Online Nandroid Manager a shot if you want to try).

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Just remember, you won't be able to make full nandroid backups (give Online Nandroid Manager a shot if you want to try).

IFAIK, until I plan to flash a custom ROM I shouldn't need a full Nandroid. I can always flash a stock ROM, and between the Google Backup/Restore and TiB, I should get almost everything back. Music/Video, etc are all on the MicroSD.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken. This is my first foray into messing with the SGS4. I was very active flashing on my HTC HD2, starting with various builds for WM6.5, and then moving on to SD builds of Android and then NativeSD with cLK, etc. I was running Tytung's KitKat until I got this phone in December. I work for a small company and the SGS4 was my Christmas Bonus. The HD2 was just too long in tooth to keep up with all the advances in Android. But, since you could flash everything - radios, bootloaders, recoveries, builds, etc., I could change out/update my version of Android almost daily.

Rob

xdapowerapps

Jul 16, 2008
IFAIK, until I plan to flash a custom ROM I shouldn't need a full Nandroid. I can always flash a stock ROM, and between the Google Backup/Restore and TiB, I should get almost everything back. Music/Video, etc are all on the MicroSD.

Unless I'm sadly mistaken. This is my first foray into messing with the SGS4. I was very active flashing on my HTC HD2, starting with various builds for WM6.5, and then moving on to SD builds of Android and then NativeSD with cLK, etc. I was running Tytung's KitKat until I got this phone in December. I work for a small company and the SGS4 was my Christmas Bonus. The HD2 was just too long in tooth to keep up with all the advances in Android. But, since you could flash everything - radios, bootloaders, recoveries, builds, etc., I could change out/update my version of Android almost daily.

Rob

The beauty of a nandroid backup is that it takes a snapshot of your phone as it stands. Within five to eight minutes, you can restore your phone as it stood before it messed up. No re-downloading apps, changing settings, replacing system apps (i.e., installing Note 3 My Files and Gallery), etc. It saves the hassles of slow TiB/Helium restoration, especially if you have hundreds of apps. Sure, you can start fresh and manually restore things, but having it done within eight minutes without lifting a finger is extremely nice to have in your arsenal. Has come in handy several times for me since I test ROMs very frequently.

Congrats on your bonus, a very nice bonus indeed. It is a great phone. I was thinking about switching to a Note 3 or waiting for the S5 but this phone is perfect for my hands. Note 3 with an Otterbox Defender case is too big for my taste and the S5 is still a ways off. Plus, the development for this phone has far exceeded my expectations so I'm a happy camper for now.

Brooklynzson

Aug 31, 2008

1) Download Vanilla Rom,
4) ????
5) ??
What method did you use to install a custom recovery? I saw this in the thread:

Important - please read
If you fail to read this, you will be taunted.

1. You can't install custom recovery and custom ROMs using this technique. See Safestrap for a way to install some custom ROMs.
2. Resetting the "Custom" and open padlock indication during boot can be worked around using the Xposed Framwork and Wanam Xposed. Get those two from the Play Store.
In Wanam, tick "Security Hacks", "Fake System Status".

Did you use the safestrap like he suggested? I just got a replacement from t-mobile, i can't be stuck on tw lol.

scooter247

Jun 26, 2009
You have to make sure busy box is removed as well, or system will show custom

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rlichtefeld

Feb 13, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Is there a way to get back to the stock rom???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

If the only mod you did was to follow the instructions in this thread, then you aren't changing the ROM, you are only giving yourself Root privileges.

To Unroot, go to the thread in the original post, and look at the second message in that thread.

Here's the link to that exact message:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392024&postcount=2

You will be
1) removing BusyBox
2) Using SuperSU to "Full Unroot"

If you've done more than was laid out in the original message in that thread, then you will probably need to
3) Remove any Custom Recovery
4) Flash an original ROM

There are several threads discussing getting back to a Stock ROM.

Rob

Reactions: Guatiao

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    alrights guys I didn't see this anywhere in ur forum so here it is, after exchanging my s4 for a replacement, I got it with 4.3 and all this Knox nonsense already installed, Now I don't really care that much for samsung's warranty but I went out and look for a way to root our latest without triggering Knox counter just head on to the thread below and check it out... it has a catch but I would say it's worth the trade off.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2565758

ODIN MODE

Rob

ODIN MODE

Rob
    This is all great info, on rooting 4.3....

but how do you UNROOT ?

Go into SuperSU, then click permanent cleanup.
    Is there a way to get back to the stock rom???

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

If the only mod you did was to follow the instructions in this thread, then you aren't changing the ROM, you are only giving yourself Root privileges.

To Unroot, go to the thread in the original post, and look at the second message in that thread.

Here's the link to that exact message:
    http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=48392024&postcount=2

You will be
    1) removing BusyBox
    2) Using SuperSU to "Full Unroot"

If you've done more than was laid out in the original message in that thread, then you will probably need to
    3) Remove any Custom Recovery
    4) Flash an original ROM

There are several threads discussing getting back to a Stock ROM.

Rob