Question for those in T-Mobile LTE/4G areas...

Search This thread

FormeriPhoney

Jan 19, 2011
I was wondering if you guys that live in 4g/lte areas get 4g or LTE while on phone calls?

On my LG g3 I did no problem. But on this tmo note 3 it drops to H

I made sure my APN settings were correct. Anything in missing

howdyace

Dec 19, 2008
I do . you also have to be in a market where volte is available.

Plus you have to be on nf1 .

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Well I'm definitely in a Volte area (NYC) but I'm still on NB4 running slimkat 4.4.4

is there a way to upgrade to that and keep my root & recovery?

Slim can't do VoLTE, no AOSP I'm aware of can. You need NF1, stock. Note that you must update the modem and probably the bootloader as well. You can mod it, like Tweaked or the various other custom ROMs. And/Or Xposed. But you have to be on a TMO firmware to use VoLTE. Just how it is. And NYC should be fully VoLTE enabled as they are an official site.

I am in an unofficial area (Salt Lake) and it works fine on Tweaked. I don't really care about it, as I rarely talk on the phone, but I can see how people would like it. The big win as far as I'm concerned is that it opens up the possibility to re-purpose more spectrum for wideband LTE. :D

As for root/recovery, that's easy. You don't keep them with the Odin flash, but just boot back to download mode and flash TWRP from Odin and CF-AutoRoot from Odin or a custom ROM from TWRP. There's root. Now restore your apps via Titanium or Play Store, and you're done.

Reactions: FormeriPhoney

FormeriPhoney

Jan 19, 2011
Slim can't do VoLTE, no AOSP I'm aware of can. You need NF1, stock. Note that you must update the modem and probably the bootloader as well. You can mod it, like Tweaked or the various other custom ROMs. And/Or Xposed. But you have to be on a TMO firmware to use VoLTE. Just how it is. And NYC should be fully VoLTE enabled as they are an official site.

I am in an unofficial area (Salt Lake) and it works fine on Tweaked. I don't really care about it, as I rarely talk on the phone, but I can see how people would like it. The big win as far as I'm concerned is that it opens up the possibility to re-purpose more spectrum for wideband LTE. :D

As for root/recovery, that's easy. You don't keep them with the Odin flash, but just boot back to download mode and flash TWRP from Odin and CF-AutoRoot from Odin or a custom ROM from TWRP. There's root. Now restore your apps via Titanium or Play Store, and you're done.
Damn, I thought you were gonna say that regarding aosp no Volte.

I was looking at either Tweaked or Darkstalker as far as TW based roms go.

I was browsing the Effortless thread about the NF1 odin update. Will that update both bootloader AND modem?

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Damn, I thought you were gonna say that regarding aosp no Volte.

I was looking at either Tweaked or Darkstalker as far as TW based roms go.

I was browsing the Effortless thread about the NF1 odin update. Will that update both bootloader AND modem?

Yes, the full NF1 Odin flash will update everything. Then you can install TWRP and whatever ROM you want. I'd try them both, I prefer Tweaked, but Darkstalker is very good as well.

FormeriPhoney

Jan 19, 2011
Yes, the full NF1 Odin flash will update everything. Then you can install TWRP and whatever ROM you want. I'd try them both, I prefer Tweaked, but Darkstalker is very good as well.
I was running beans rom on my VZW note 3 so I could deal with TW as long as it's Debloated, and a dark theme wouldn't hurt.

Is the Effortless thread the one to follow for NF1?

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
I was running beans rom on my VZW note 3 so I could deal with TW as long as it's Debloated, and a dark theme wouldn't hurt.

Tweaked has most of the bloat, but it's easy to remove and the installer lets you remove a bunch of it as well. Not sure about dark themes.

Effortless thread is the one for directions to flash the Odin NF1. Here's the link..

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2765014

Just for the NF1 flash, and TWRP. Then you can flash whatever ROM you like from there.

Reactions: deeznutz1977

FormeriPhoney

Jan 19, 2011
Tweaked has most of the bloat, but it's easy to remove and the installer lets you remove a bunch of it as well. Not sure about dark themes.

Effortless thread is the one for directions to flash the Odin NF1. Here's the link..

Just for the NF1 flash, and TWRP. Then you can flash whatever ROM you like from there.
Thanks man. I just wanna be on the latest so I have the choice of bouncing around to the TW roms. The only thing I'm really missing is the s own features and the stock camera.

FormeriPhoney

Jan 19, 2011

Just wanted to let you know I followed the Effortless guide and I was on the latest baseband, rooted and unlocked in 15 minutes no issues. Thanks again.

ttabbal

Jul 1, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
The short version is to flash the setup file, which you use to set your options, then the main file.

As for themes, make sure they are made for Tweaked, or you will break things. That's the case with most custom ROMs. That theme looks to be made for bare stock NF1.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well I'm definitely in a Volte area (NYC) but I'm still on NB4 running slimkat 4.4.4

is there a way to upgrade to that and keep my root & recovery?