Is everyone else having issues with lag?

Search This thread

SkriblZz

Jan 4, 2013
I went from the HTC One to this, and I am a little disappointed here. The HTC One was beautiful, great, etc, but I went with this phone for a a more future proof reason. The thing I am confused about is how is this phone lagging? The One did not lag, and I am not by any means trying to start up a debate between the two, but why does this phone lag? Anybody experiencing odd lag? (opening closing apps have a hiccup, widgets, scrolling)

The screen seems to have a good amount of ghosting, but I assume that is because this is a PenTile super saturated screen, so it won't be as smooth movement as an LCD screen. (I freakin' love this screen, by the way)

Also, Samsung, I know if I raise the volume it could possible damage my ears, quit popping a message up every time I do this.

Also...

For the stock browser and Chrome, the screen slightly dims itself upon opening, doesn't do it with Firefox though.

Small things, small gripes. These small grips bothering anyone else?

It seems odd, this is my first Samsung device, but it seems like it's not a consistent experience. It just launched, I know, but I did not think one of the big brands would have these issues.

jhong91

Aug 5, 2011
I went from the HTC One to this, and I am a little disappointed here. The HTC One was beautiful, great, etc, but I went with this phone for a a more future proof reason. The thing I am confused about is how is this phone lagging? The One did not lag, and I am not by any means trying to start up a debate between the two, but why does this phone lag? Anybody experiencing odd lag? (opening closing apps have a hiccup, widgets, scrolling)

The screen seems to have a good amount of ghosting, but I assume that is because this is a PenTile super saturated screen, so it won't be as smooth movement as an LCD screen. (I freakin' love this screen, by the way)

Also, Samsung, I know if I raise the volume it could possible damage my ears, quit popping a message up every time I do this.

Also...

For the stock browser and Chrome, the screen slightly dims itself upon opening, doesn't do it with Firefox though.

It seems odd, this is my first Samsung device, but it seems like it's not a consistent experience. It just launched, I know, but I did not think one of the big brands would have these issues.

unfortunately, yes
result of all the heavy touchwiz & bloat, i would assume.

SkriblZz

Jan 4, 2013

Also...

Bah, I'm in the wrong section, could a mod please move?

eyi

Aug 25, 2010
Yup, bloatware. My Galaxy S3 running CM 10.1 was FAST. Patiently waiting.

uclaxiwen

Apr 27, 2013
well htc one is in android 2.1 now it may have the same problem when you upgrade to 4.2 I guess .
To solve the lag, you may turn on Force Gpu option in developer setting, but it causes battery.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app

SkriblZz

Jan 4, 2013
well htc one is in android 2.1 now it may have the same problem when you upgrade to 4.2 I guess .
To solve the lag, you may turn on Force Gpu option in developer setting, but it causes battery.

That did nothing, but I changed the animations to 0.5x and they go so quick, I don't notice it anymore. I sincerely hope that Samsung/AT&T push out something to fix this, I don't feel like a phone with an overclocked Snapdragon 600 should be going through this.

MattMJB0188

Apr 30, 2011
The lag is very bad. It really makes me wanna throw this device against the wall. Coming from an S3 and Note 2 this feels like a huge downgrade, seriously.

I do know though that now that the boot loader has been unlocked, developers can start making custom roms. That and I know there will be many updates. The lag will not last forever.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Set animations to zero and the phone will be even quicker. You won't miss a thing. Good luck.

That doesn't do anything. The browser, messaging app, and gallery all lag within. Samsung needs to properly optimize their software for the Snapdragon 600.

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
If your using Nova launcher, go to Nova Settings - Look and Feel - App Animations. Change it to ICS or slide. This has removed any stutter for me with the opening and closing app transitions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

theraker007

Jul 22, 2012
If your using Nova launcher, go to Nova Settings - Look and Feel - App Animations. Change it to ICS or slide. This has removed any stutter for me with the opening and closing app transitions.

You guys aren't addressing his main problem. He's upset about lag within the apps themselves.

To Op, just be patient and either Samsung or devs here will address it. It's clearly software related.
Also, the screen darkening happens if you have certain battery saving things turned on. Is your energy saver on?

americasteam

Jan 31, 2011
Bowling Green, KY
You guys aren't addressing his main problem. He's upset about lag within the apps themselves.

To Op, just be patient and either Samsung or devs here will address it. It's clearly software related.
Also, the screen darkening happens if you have certain battery saving things turned on. Is your energy saver on?

I think he's concerned about a few things. Stuttering as I mentioned before. He mentions opening and closing apps have a hiccup. See below. ;)

SkriblZz

Jan 4, 2013

I've completely disabled any energy saving, even auto adjust screen tone. This happens only with Chrome and stock browsers. It's a light dimming from brightness being full, seemed odd.

I think he's concerned about a few things. Stuttering as I mentioned before. He mentions opening and closing apps have a hiccup. See below. ;)

Yes, you're right. They have an odd stutter. The sad thing is, we shouldn't have to do anything to stop this from happening. lol
Also, the stutters happen even when opening/closing/navigating the settings, and I saw it stutter a few times closing the app drawer, that one surprised me.

How do you guys feel about the ghosting/tracers on text or objects when moving quickly?

Last edited:

The whole thing stutters pretty bad. Can't wait for the bootloader unlock an roms.

Pretty rare to see a guy from BG KY on the boards.

Cheeze[iT]

Dec 4, 2008
Dallas, Tx
Yeah turned on force gpu, unchecksd all power saver options just incase and it helps

iceman4357

Jun 17, 2006
St.Louis
A couple of quick suggestions:
-Hard Reset when you get the phone. A few people have commented that after a re-flash the phone runs smoother
-disable animations and the screen unlock ripples/light BS. The ripple caused issues with the GS3, so this is just an assumption on my part.
-Force GPU helps
-Freeze and apps especially bloat you don't use.
-Since this seems to be a common issue for everyone, I would hope that Samsung/Att will have a small update in the coming months. I will not hold my breathe though.

Reactions: raqball

raqball

Jun 21, 2010
New York
A couple of quick suggestions:
-Hard Reset when you get the phone. A few people have commented that after a re-flash the phone runs smoother
-disable animations and the screen unlock ripples/light BS. The ripple caused issues with the GS3, so this is just an assumption on my part.
-Force GPU helps
-Freeze and apps especially bloat you don't use.
-Since this seems to be a common issue for everyone, I would hope that Samsung/Att will have a small update in the coming months. I will not hold my breathe though.

This actually does help a lot to reduce the lag.. Did this a few days ago and it has def helped!

ExBrasil

Oct 1, 2011
I felt the same way about my S3 for a long time until I finally flashed tasks AOKP with ktoonz kernel.

For reference, I think the size of the stock rom on the s4 is somewhere around two gigs as opposed to tasks AOKP which was around 500 or 600 MB's.

I haven't even activated my S4 yet because of the frustration I know I would endure when switching between apps, or texting, or pretty much doing anything.

My S3 is RIDICULOUSLY fast now so I have the utmost confidence that once the Verizon phone is out and the ROMs start rolling in, all the lag will be gone once you get away from TouchWiz.

[edit] Task I see you lurking around the S4 boards. I don't know what it all means, but I LIKE it!!! :D

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My gs4 was a bit glitchy at first...then I got the update...it cleared up a bit....then I said screw it...rooted and then froze the att and Samsung crap apps...This thing is blazing fast. ...ps *MOD EDIT* pay for your apps, support the devs you depend on

Because people deserve to be paid for the work they do. Thieves like you shouldn't even be here.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk
    Who do you think you are? You dont know me and for one shouldnt be calling me a thief...because I get something off of a website does not make me a thief just smarter than you so dont go calling people names for stuff they didnt do illegally...toolshed.....I yes I have read some of your posts

So because you're cheap and deprived a developer of money for something they worked hard to make, makes you smarter?

On the contrary it makes you ignorant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda premium
    I have everything enabled and not rooted. No lag at all

Doubtful but ok....

If so, send it to a museum as it may be the only one on earth!

Every review mentions lag, the devices they showed at the Samsung event all displayed lag, every display model at 4 different AT&T store I went to had lag, and 14.7 million XDA users are reporting lag...

Ya, there is no lag... :rolleyes:

I'm thirsty... Think I will get some Kool-Aid... LOL
    I returned my GS4 today due to the lag. I don't think a top of the line phone sould have to turn off the feautues and animations on the phone to make it work.
    I might think about picking one up again once they fix the issue.

I remember when the first GS phone came out and it also suffered from lag issues as well. Took Samsung a couple of months to fix. In the mean time the HTC One looks enticing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda premium
    I stream movies for free. I'm a bad boy ;)