[APP] Font Changer 4.0.4 [29/09/12]

Search This thread

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
This app is no longer being updated and may cause issues on newer versions of Android. Use at your own risk!

Description
Font Changer allows you to change the font on your Android device. Some (most likely people from the HTC Desire forum section) may be familiar with an older version which required flashing an update, however these two versions don't require it (check the requirements section for more).

Basically you can put your TTF fonts in /sdcard/.fontchanger/ (location can be changed in the settings) and then you can apply a font once they have been found by the application (inside Font Changer there are more detailed instructions on how to do this). You can also set the fonts individually using the advanced mode. It works just by copying the selected font to the system partition and overwriting the current font. Backup is automatic, although occasionally it breaks resulting in the need to fix the fonts manually or with an update (usually the cause of messing with the fonts alongside with Font Changer).

Font Changer used to only have a paid version for the past few months, but with the new Market changes I have decided to add a free version. While most cancellations happen within a few minutes after purchase, not all do... and 15 minutes is just too short! Plus some people are not in a country where they are allowed to buy paid apps. Anyway, that's my reasoning.

The application should be removed from its settings to restore the default fonts and density. More information can be found on its Market page and inside the application.

Requirements
  • root
  • system write access (aka NAND unlock or S-OFF)
  • busybox
  • custom recovery (not a requirement per-se, but highly recommended in case something goes wrong)

Reviews

Coming Features
  • Fix up setting custom website for preview
  • Set dark/white theme
  • Rework UI for the font picker
  • Rework UI for the density changer
  • Need some icons for the Basic/Advanced tabs
  • Add more fonts to be replaced in Basic mode
  • Check font integrity
  • Shake for a random font

Attachments

• device-2012-09-01-133011.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133011.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 18,847
  • device-2012-09-01-133021.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133021.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 17,480
  • device-2012-09-01-133033.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133033.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 16,267
  • device-2012-09-01-133043.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133043.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 14,353
  • device-2012-09-01-133103.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133103.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 13,448
  • device-2012-09-01-133225.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133225.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 12,056
  • device-2012-09-01-133235.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133235.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 11,745
  • device-2012-09-01-133412.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-133412.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 11,274
  • device-2012-09-01-134204.jpg
    device-2012-09-01-134204.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 9,244
  • FontChangerLite_v4.0.4.apk
    501.8 KB · Views: 112,439
Last edited:

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Really thanks for share.
Can't u upload the free .apk here? My camera doesn't work so i cant scan the QRCode. Would be nice :)
OK, done. Although if your signature is correct and you have a GT540, Font Changer doesn't have support for it yet as I need some information to identify the device (the person with a GT540 who was helping me has gone somewhat quiet and I haven't managed to finish it without his input).

DonPanda

Oct 25, 2010
Basel
Redmi Note 10 Pro
OK, done. Although if your signature is correct and you have a GT540, Font Changer doesn't have support for it yet as I need some information to identify the device (the person with a GT540 who was helping me has gone somewhat quiet and I haven't managed to finish it without his input).

Lol. Allright. Good to know. "None support" does not mean "does not work for GT540", correct? I'll try it anyway so...

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Lol. Allright. Good to know. "None support" does not mean "does not work for GT540", correct? I'll try it anyway so...
1. There are multiple rooting methods for the GT540, and some of them work with Font Changer and others don't. I'm afraid I don't have any specific information on this. If 1 works, then check out 2.
2. The GT540 uses different fonts than the default Android ones. I know which ones and already have the code in the application to make it work, however all I need is to identify the device for which I require someone with a GT540 willing to help.

Anyway, feel free to give it a try and see what will happen.

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Version 1.7.1.3 has been released, per-user request.

It is now possible to specify in the settings whether the regular font should be used to replace the clock, or whether the default clock font should be used. Some ROMs make use of the clock font, others don't, so the option may not have an effect for everyone.

Last edited:
Reactions: wangxj_nemo

nomadism

Jun 23, 2010
Seems to work on the HTC Vision /G2/Desire Z. Thanks a lot! (Got the paid version to support development)

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
Doesn't work for me on rooted GT540 with stock Android 2.1 update. I am willing to help with any testing.
Hi there. It doesn't work as in when you set the font it does nothing?

If that's what happens then you could try running the app which I attached in this post and send the report which it generates by GMail, or any other method that works for you. I'm missing identification information for the GT540.

I've ben using this app for a while (paid version) and it works very well.
d14605b7.png
So it works fine on a Galaxy S sister device? When I tested a long time ago on my friend's Galaxy S it would cause freezes and didn't allow for the notification bar to be pulled down...

Seems to work on the HTC Vision /G2/Desire Z. Thanks a lot! (Got the paid version to support development)
Thank you, I added those devices to the supported list. A little surprised that they all have full root since they only came out recently. On the Desire we had to wait for a while... >_<

And thanks to all those who bought from the Market to support development, it's greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• DeviceInfo_v1.0.apk
    14.2 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
Reactions: mhndk14

walord

Sep 4, 2010
So it works fine on a Galaxy S sister device? When I tested a long time ago on my friend's Galaxy S it would cause freezes and didn't allow for the notification bar to be pulled down...

And thanks to all those who bought from the Market to support development, it's greatly appreciated.

Yes, This is on the epic running the latest leak of 2.2. No issues that I've seen, yet. The notification bar works fine.

Reactions: martino2k6

jwils96

Nov 28, 2010
Maryborough
i got the following error, shown in the screenshot. i used unrevoked 3 on my phone, can you help me?
7bd3fd38-829c-a77d.jpg

Sent from my wildfire using XDA App

martino2k6

Jul 31, 2009
London
martino2k6.wordpress.com
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31232808&l=bf37c5c60b&id=1116218854
oh wait, i just realised. youre not going to be able to access that..
i give up. ill just tell yoh what it says. i got a popup saying it couldnt get write permissions, or something. and basically said i wasnt rooted. but my phone is rooted. can someone help me?

Just a second. You are giving me conflicting information. Did it say you don't have system write access OR root? Both will never be shown at the same time, I checked the code twice just now.

EDIT: Never mind, I was able to see that page. I'll get back to you soon hopefully.

jwils96

Nov 28, 2010
Maryborough
it said it doesnt have write access. didnt say anything about root. sorry about that
EDIT: it said it didnt have full root. i must be tired, or something, lol.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This app is no longer being updated and may cause issues on newer versions of Android. Use at your own risk!

Description
    Font Changer allows you to change the font on your Android device. Some (most likely people from the HTC Desire forum section) may be familiar with an older version which required flashing an update, however these two versions don't require it (check the requirements section for more).

Basically you can put your TTF fonts in /sdcard/.fontchanger/ (location can be changed in the settings) and then you can apply a font once they have been found by the application (inside Font Changer there are more detailed instructions on how to do this). You can also set the fonts individually using the advanced mode. It works just by copying the selected font to the system partition and overwriting the current font. Backup is automatic, although occasionally it breaks resulting in the need to fix the fonts manually or with an update (usually the cause of messing with the fonts alongside with Font Changer).

Font Changer used to only have a paid version for the past few months, but with the new Market changes I have decided to add a free version. While most cancellations happen within a few minutes after purchase, not all do... and 15 minutes is just too short! Plus some people are not in a country where they are allowed to buy paid apps. Anyway, that's my reasoning.

The application should be removed from its settings to restore the default fonts and density. More information can be found on its Market page and inside the application.

Requirements
    • root
    • system write access (aka NAND unlock or S-OFF)
    • busybox
    • custom recovery (not a requirement per-se, but highly recommended in case something goes wrong)

Reviews

Coming Features
    • Fix up setting custom website for preview
    • Set dark/white theme
    • Rework UI for the font picker
    • Rework UI for the density changer
    • Need some icons for the Basic/Advanced tabs
    • Add more fonts to be replaced in Basic mode
    • Check font integrity
    • Shake for a random font
    First I want to say what a great app this is and a change of font really makes your phone feel fresh again!

However, I've been having this issue where I see these boxes with question marks in some spots. I think it's when the system has to shorten the text with "..." then it shows those boxes after the dots. Here's some examples: pic1, pic2. I've tried different fonts and I think most if not all have had these sort of issues. I wonder if there's something missing from the font file or what's the cause? I mean, there should be basically nothing in place of those boxes. I wonder if you could just fix it somehow? Maybe by placing the missing letter(?) in the font from the stock font for example.

I had the same problem, and only with the help of another XDA member, was I finally able to find a solution. DroidSans, for some reason, uses a glyph called ZERO WIDTH NO BREAK-SPACE, whereas other fonts no longer do... so when a custom font is applied and Android calls for this glyph (U-FEFF), you see the boxes with question marks. Essentially, like you suspected, you need to copy this glyph from DroidSans and then paste it in the corresponding place within your custom font. A program called FontForge will allow you to do this. After successfully pasting the glyph (again it's U-FEFF, and it's toward the very bottom) in your chosen font, go to File---> Generate Fonts and click save. You may receive some error messages/warnings, but it's my understand that you can simply ignore them and carry on...

Edit: FontCreator (although it requires the paid version to save an edited font) is actually more user-friendly than FontForge. Simply add a new glyph in your custom font by clicking Insert > Glyphs. Find UFEFF in DroidSans, copy it, and paste it in your new glyph. Then right click new glyph > Properties... be sure that under the General tab > Postscript > Name it reads: uniFEFF. And under the Mapping tab, make sure to add the Value: $FEFF. Click OK and save your edited font.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    I have unpublished the apps from Google Play. I apologize to all users whom this may inconvenience, mainly those who supported the development by purchasing the app (I'll try to make it so that you'll be able to get any future versions without ads). I will however continue development and post new versions here. After all this app was written because I wanted something better than what was out there already, and that's still a reason to keep going (unless someone can drop a bombshell on me that I may not be aware of).

The reason for unpublishing is that there have been too many user complaints since Android 4.0 started becoming mainstream. Despite having added workarounds, and warned users, people still manage to get their devices into bootloops and I get the anger flooding in. I've even bought a couple of these "troublesome" devices with my own money only to find nothing out of the ordinary. The only time I manage to get a bootloop with most is when I do silly things. I guess there was too much expectation for the average rooted Play user on my side.

So here we are, Font Changer still alive for the tech-savvier XDA community. You will have to keep your eyes peeled on this thread for any updates :(
    Font Changer 4.0.0 RC1

Attached in this post is the RC1 version of 4.0.0. While there aren't any new major features, a lot of the UI and functional code has been rewritten to make future maintenance simpler. Please test this release and let me know if you come across any issues (post how to reproduce and attach a logcat please).

List of changes:
    • Added USB debugging warning (should help users when recovering from a bad font change)
    • Added native action bar support (3.0+)
    • Added 3.0+ support (works on my devices at least...)
    • Updated UI to use native Android elements
    • Updated internal font handling (should speed up addition of support for specific devices)
    • Updated refresh icons
    OK folks, if you're not yet tired of RCs, here's another one. Fixed issues are listed below:
    • Force close when closing app reported earlier
    • Fixed startup loading issues (hopefully! finally!)

Please let me know if you come across any issues. I don't have anything else on my list, so if nothing else appears this will go up on the Market by the end of this weekend. After that, back to new features :)

EDIT: And up on the Market they are :)