ADB Driver - Access is Denied

Search This thread

Stigy

Feb 4, 2009
So I just installed Windows 7 on my machine and was trying to ADB with my Android since I used it ALL the time on Windows XP.

I put the phone in Debug mode and plugged into my computer and told it the location of the driver. It seems to work well for a second and then it tells me that there was a problem installing the driver. It then says:

HTC ADB Composite Device Driver (not sure exactly of this...)

Access is Denied

Anyone else seeing anything similar on Vista or Windows 7? BTW I already tried this in Safe Mode as well.

xidominicanoix

Oct 9, 2006
FL
So I just installed Windows 7 on my machine and was trying to ADB with my Android since I used it ALL the time on Windows XP.

I put the phone in Debug mode and plugged into my computer and told it the location of the driver. It seems to work well for a second and then it tells me that there was a problem installing the driver. It then says:

Anyone else seeing anything similar on Vista or Windows 7? BTW I already tried this in Safe Mode as well.

I have mines working perfectly on Win7. Maybe you don't have admin rights on your computer? Just a guess

B-man007

Jun 12, 2009
Dallas
Even if you have admin rights, UAC can f it up.

Make sure you right click on command prompt and click "Run as Administrator"

Also, do you have x64? That requires a signed drivers. I don't remember if the ADB drivers were signed by microsoft, but if they aren't, it won't work unless you apply the work around

alpha7158

Sep 19, 2009
Simple Solution

Here is a simple solution without having to read that long thread:
For future reference, here is how to install the drivers or fix the drivers should they not be working.

Everything you need is contained within this:
http://www.divshare.com/download/8845496-f72

This is the howto documentation
This is how to get your android phone to connect to you PC
to use functions like adb and other developer tools.

If you have installed the phone before but adb function dont work
then:

1) Run USBDeview
2) Select the list item(s) that have the word "android" within the description
3) Right Click > Uninstall

If you have done the above, or are plugging your phone in for the first time:

1) Plug in phone
2 a) When prompted to install drivers select the "android driver" folder
contained within this tutorial
2 b) If no message appears or you get a message saying drivers failed
to install. Goto device manager
2 b i) start > All Programs > accessories > run
type devmgmt.msc and press ok.
3 b) find the android device in device manager, it will have a warning icon
next to it and be in a section like unknown.
4 b) Right click and install driver
5 a) When prompted to install drivers select the "android driver" folder
contained within this tutorial

digimancer

May 14, 2010
Vallejo
USBDeview is awesome but....

Even after removing all of the drivers associated with my device, as soon as I try to install the fresh new drivers, I still get "Access Denied" at the end of the install.

digimancer

May 14, 2010
Vallejo
Even after removing all of the drivers associated with my device, as soon as I try to install the fresh new drivers, I still get "Access Denied" at the end of the install.

I have this same issue on an Ideos U8150 and on XP... At one point in the past it was working (before I flashed Cyanogen 7). Since then I have tried numerous driver packages, both specific to my phone and generic, and have had no luck getting past the access denied error.. I have even gone as far as changing the registry permission as well as checking all of my folder permissions... I am stumped.

ryanrazer

Dec 12, 2011
Koper
www.droidviews.com
Even if you have admin rights, UAC can f it up.

Make sure you right click on command prompt and click "Run as Administrator"

Also, do you have x64? That requires a signed drivers. I don't remember if the ADB drivers were signed by microsoft, but if they aren't, it won't work unless you apply the work around

I know it a while ago since you posted this but still, it helped me fix the "Access denied" thing which i didn't know how to fix. I installed ADB drivers 3 times... anyways, tnx :good:

Technostuff19

Nov 15, 2022
So If you are like me you had this same issue in 2022. Idk if it will be a fix for you but it was for me.
follow this youtube video for the exact setup so you can get hopfully the same out com to the T.
1668532217665.png

1. make sure you're in administrator mode for command prompt.

2. The file name has changed from what it was so instead of doing
cd adb\platform-tools_r30.0.4-windows\platform-tools
It's now this
cd adb\platform-tools\
1668532171922.png

This will get you to the correct path if you followed the file placement in the video.
next all you have to do is type
adb devices on the command prompt. to test if it worked

other things that you might have to try is seeing if the driver it self is being blocked. you might also have to turn off and back on developer mode. View other posts in this thread if it's still stuck for you. Hopefully I helped one person at least.