[KERNEL][GPL] franco.Kernel - r17

Search This thread

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
sorry for this dumb q

His the hell do I get it so I can fast charge my tablet? Rootbox has a built in fast charge toggle and I even tried several third party apps as well (via play store). None let me turn it on, no matter what kernel I try.

Is it a bad idea anyway, is there better ideas, does the pogo charger really charge faster ( I have one ), any other commenst ideas suggestions?

Nexus 10 - Rootbox ROM - Franco Kernel

P.s. Feel free to tell me to bug off. I won't get hurt. I just trust your knowledge more.

Thank You,

Aaron

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Fast Charge doesnt pull more from the wall charger through USB, only allows the tablet to pull more charge through the PC as if it were an AC charger. Really only useful if you want to be plugged into a PC or Laptop on the go and dont have your wall charger with you. If you actually want it to charge faster the pogo pin one will do it just a little faster at least.

Reactions: asweiler

David 617

May 12, 2011
His the hell do I get it so I can fast charge my tablet? Rootbox has a built in fast charge toggle and I even tried several third party apps as well (via play store). None let me turn it on, no matter what kernel I try.

Is it a bad idea anyway, is there better ideas, does the pogo charger really charge faster ( I have one ), any other commenst ideas suggestions?

Nexus 10 - Rootbox ROM - Franco Kernel

P.s. Feel free to tell me to bug off. I won't get hurt. I just trust your knowledge more.

Thank You,

Aaron

I don't believe that there is a fast charge mod for Nexus 10. Besides, the usb port on a computer only gives out 500 milliamps (vs the wall charger that gives up to 2 amps (2000 milliamps)) so even if there was a fast charge mod for the Nexus 10 it wouldn't affect charging from a computer. The Nexus 10 has a rather large battery to power it's beautiful screen, and takes time to charge it. Also, although Rootbox has a toggle, it may just be left over from the base code and wasn't removed for the Manta build. The fast charge hack is a kernel feature, so regardless of your rom your kernel must support it.
Also, the was a patch a while back (most kernels have incorporated it by now) that enables usb-data and fast charge at the same time. Previously the pins reserved for usb-data were used for power, thus enabling "fast-charge". Now it is possible to have fast-charge without sacrificing usb-data. So it can be that your kernel does support fast-charge from you laptop, but you wouldn't know it because you still have usb-data and the tablet isn't charging any faster (due to the power limitations of the usb port.)

Anyways, I hope this clarifies the issue. :victory:

Reactions: asweiler

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
...Besides, the usb port on a computer only gives out 500 milliamps (vs the wall charger that gives up to 2 amps (2000 milliamps)) so even if there was a fast charge mod for the Nexus 10 it wouldn't affect charging from a computer.
USB 3.0 ports can provide more power, and some computers/motherboards offer a mode to allow for fast charging (my ASRock board does over USB 3.0 ports).

asweiler

Aug 15, 2012
Fast Charge doesnt pull more from the wall charger through USB, only allows the tablet to pull more charge through the PC as if it were an AC charger. Really only useful if you want to be plugged into a PC or Laptop on the go and dont have your wall charger with you. If you actually want it to charge faster the pogo pin one will do it just a little faster at least.
I did know that part, but thank you very much. Also thank you for the opinion on the pogo. It is just what I had figured, though I should do some tests with it to see if it is even true, and if so by how much.

I don't believe that there is a fast charge mod for Nexus 10. Besides, the usb port on a computer only gives out 500 milliamps (vs the wall charger that gives up to 2 amps (2000 milliamps)) so even if there was a fast charge mod for the Nexus 10 it wouldn't affect charging from a computer. The Nexus 10 has a rather large battery to power it's beautiful screen, and takes time to charge it. Also, although Rootbox has a toggle, it may just be left over from the base code and wasn't removed for the Manta build. The fast charge hack is a kernel feature, so regardless of your rom your kernel must support it.
Also, the was a patch a while back (most kernels have incorporated it by now) that enables usb-data and fast charge at the same time. Previously the pins reserved for usb-data were used for power, thus enabling "fast-charge". Now it is possible to have fast-charge without sacrificing usb-data. So it can be that your kernel does support fast-charge from you laptop, but you wouldn't know it because you still have usb-data and the tablet isn't charging any faster (due to the power limitations of the usb port.)

Anyways, I hope this clarifies the issue. :victory:

Now this is the kind of reply I was hoping for, thank you very much. So all in all it confirms my beliefs based off what I know from my years of training and my computer repair business work I have done in the past. The one part I did not know and I am very thankful for you mentioning was the part about the patch that came a while back making it so the so called 'fast charge' is practically built in, especially with any decent kernel like we all know franco's is most certainly a great kernel and is sure to have this patch and then some.

Thank you everyone, this really helped me. I had given both of you a thanks for your time you spent responding to my noob question :D

Kurre

Aug 10, 2010
Any update on this kernel? We still need the fix for the lock screen sleep of death issue that is not present in the stock kernel...

Any info what is causing this or in what situation this happens? I haven't followed this thread so closely..
I have been using this with SlimBean 7.0 for about a week now and haven't seen a single SOD :eek: and with stock kernel I saw those almost every day.. (although now I made a clean installment to get rid off problems) :what:

Anyways, this is a very nice kernel as it could be expected from Franco :D :thumbup:

Sent from my SlimBeaned GNex

JNewms

Sep 21, 2011
Bloomington
Any update on this kernel? We still need the fix for the lock screen sleep of death issue that is not present in the stock kernel...

I've never had an issue like this on my 10 with this kernel. Had issues with stock though. If it wasn't for this kernel I wouldn't even be able to deal with using my tablet

Franco Minuum Nexus 4

maxiclo

Mar 30, 2008
I've never had an issue like this on my 10 with this kernel. Had issues with stock though. If it wasn't for this kernel I wouldn't even be able to deal with using my tablet

Franco Minuum Nexus 4

This Kernel is very fast and very good, but for some of us (I'm using paranoid 3.6) leaving in standby for long time the tablet dosn't resume and a forced reboot is needed.

baguitos

Mar 11, 2008
Just installed this Kernel last week and since then I've had a lot of lock screen sleep of death. Before installing I've used the N10 for a month without any SOD.

Also have this kernel on the Galaxy Nexus, and no problems so far.

Pjodor

Jul 17, 2010
Stockholm
It says in op that it works on cm based roms, so if you using a rom that is not based on cm it is not likely to run in to problems.

EniGmA1987

Sep 21, 2010
Kernels are all different between devices and cannot really be compared very well. But it is a known issue that the r12 version of this kernel has sleep of death issues. r11 is fine though.

lvnatic

Dec 5, 2010
Iasi
I seriously don't know what you guys are talking about. I used this kernel on both team Eos and saber mod and I experienced no sods what so ever.

JNewms

Sep 21, 2011
Bloomington
This kernel is not only for cm based roms. This is a nexus, his kernel will work on all roms. The only time I've really hard of an issue was with miui, and that's because miui is a completely different animal.

Franco Minuum Nexus 4

Pjodor

Jul 17, 2010
Stockholm
I'm using stock ROM. Is this a cm based rom?

Recently I've read a post by @franciscofranco stating that stock ROM was the best, so I guess that this shouldn't be an issue with this Kernel.

That is what it says in op but maybe it have changed. Trying r11 with carbon right now, seems to work ok.

Skickat från min Nexus 10 via Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

This kernel is not only for cm based roms. This is a nexus, his kernel will work on all roms. The only time I've really hard of an issue was with miui, and that's because miui is a completely different animal.

Franco Minuum Nexus 4

As I said that is what it says in op but maybe it has changed, seems to work ok with carbon.

Kurre

Aug 10, 2010
OP says that this kernel is compatible with cm roms..so that probably means that ramdisk has some changes which are needed for cm roms. It doesn't say that this is based on cm kernel or that it's for cm based roms.

anyways, for me it works just fine :)

lordlad

Jun 25, 2010
Singapore
like i mentioned previously and answered by a few here, the sleep of death in R12 is quite serious and yet seemingly random...it doesn't occur 100% of the time but it does occurs enough times to warrant concern so i am back to stock kernel for now....

but i am really hope franco can update and fix this issue as i really like to franco's performance....but the SOD is just too much trouble for me to bare....

Pjodor

Jul 17, 2010
Stockholm
OP says that this kernel is compatible with cm roms..so that probably means that ramdisk has some changes which are needed for cm roms. It doesn't say that this is based on cm kernel or that it's for cm based roms.

anyways, for me it works just fine :)

Yeah, now that you mention it that is probably it :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all. I hate bloated OP's so this is a simple one. I don't post changelogs in here, only when I released new versions so you'll have to search for it.

Just for general awareness this is compatible with CyanogenMod based roms.

Download:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/

How to flash:
    fastboot flash boot image_name
    or
    flash the zip in your custom recovery

Source:
    https://github.com/franciscofranco/manta/tree/nightlies-4.4

Kernel changelog:
    http://192.241.177.15/Nexus10/4.4/appfiles/changelog.xml

franco.Kernel updater Free apk: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1867127

F.A.Q.
    1. My tablet exploded, halp!
    A: I don't answer to problems without a log. The log file is in /proc/last_kmsg. Retrieve it from your device and attach it to your post.
    2. This kernel works on Y or X rom?
    A: This is one of the worse questions you can ask on my threads. This is a Nexus, it works on every rom you can possibly imagine.
    3. OMG BETTARY SUCKZ, IT DEAD IN 45 MINUTAS, HALP!
    A: As you can imagine I don't build kernels to decrease battery life. All the battery life problems come from your apps, either Facebook, or Maps, or some Location Service being enabled etc etc. Check your damn wakelocks and fix them, the kernel is not responsible for them.
    4. How do I flash this?
    A: Reading the OP, theres a reason why I added instructions on it.
    Hey guys. I've been doing a lot of idle tests because I've tweaked the power states latency on this device and I've got great results, so here is r8. Contains that lower latency which means it will enter and leave the C power states much faster which will probably achieve a good battery boost. Also contains a few tweaks to the memory bus frequencies adding a little bit of throughput when needed and some patches from upstream. I still haven't got time to look into to some Color Control on this display, I'll try to look at it further during the weekend, work has been hectic.
    4.2.2 kernel source are out, later when Im off work I'll release a kernel compatible and a few other changes I have in mind - I was waiting for 4.2.2 ro update this kernel.
    r13
    * Compatible with 4.3
    * Compatible with CyanogenMod and its derivates
    * Added ROW I/O and made default
    * Lots of I/O patches from upstream
    * Updated interactive governor to its last version from Android's gerrit
    * Updated CPUidle subsystem so that the device spends more time at the deepest states for better power consumption
    * Merged patches from Colin Cross to decrease power consumption
    * Updated the Wi-Fi driver to its latest version from Android's gerrit
    * Merged USB Audio changes from CyanogenMod to enable the usage of USB DAC's plugged to this device
    * Partitions properly mounted for increased I/O performance
    * Removed lots of debug from the Kernel
    * Disabled memory throttling if the device hits thermal throttling point
    I'd like to wish you all a Merry Christmas, lots of food, kisses, hugs, and quality time.

Thanks for sticking with FK even though this is not one of my priorities Kernel wise, although I promise to be more active like I did with the latest two releases. Very happy with r15 - but more improvements are coming.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app