External Harddrives

Search This thread

MarcusSi15

Oct 22, 2012
I have an 320gb portable external hard drive that i would like to attach to my Nexus 10 when i get one. does anyone know if the microusb can power it and where can i get an adapter that supports the nexus 10. thanks

johno86

Jun 1, 2010
Tutszania
I have an 320gb portable external hard drive that i would like to attach to my Nexus 10 when i get one. does anyone know if the microusb can power it and where can i get an adapter that supports the nexus 10. thanks

More likely than not you will need an external power source. A powered HUB is something to consider.

slight22

Aug 24, 2009
i tried doing this with my Nexus 7 and all it did war start to power up the hard drive and then disconnect repeatedly so there isn't enough power in the nexus 7, i doubt there will be in the 10 when I get it... but i will try lol

alteroppa

Sep 8, 2010
Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning :)

Reactions: matt11601

yomommaisblah

Aug 6, 2010
i tried doing this with my Nexus 7 and all it did war start to power up the hard drive and then disconnect repeatedly so there isn't enough power in the nexus 7, i doubt there will be in the 10 when I get it... but i will try lol

I thought the nexus 7 didn't have usb OTG host capabilities built into the stock rom. Although it might not be the best comparison, but my toshiba thrive powers hdds just fine.

JanetPanic

Oct 17, 2005
Rockville, MD
I can confirm that Nexus Media Importer by Homeysoft worked with a generic USB OTG cable and a couple of USB drives I had sitting around. I don't know if there is a free alternative but this one seemed to work.

EDIT: Just to clarify the Nexus Media Importer worked with my Nexus 10. I had not seen a confirmation against the actual N10 so figured I would confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: matt11601

johno86

Jun 1, 2010
Tutszania
Nexus Media Importer verified to be working with OTG USB cables.
For those who do not have root or do not want to root. Please consider getting Nexus Media Importer as an alternative. Works like a charm.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: bruce7373

BoneXDA

Oct 9, 2012
Is this media importer allows playback with say BS Player, whatever. In other words, to play content from the USB without moving the file to the device.

Lumsdoni

Nov 20, 2007
Hitchin, UK
I have root access, as well as Nexus media Importer

Can't seem to mount and USB drives in afile manager for general file transfer though. NMI does import media files though.

chugger93

Nov 9, 2009
Michigan
so is the idea here that you could use the n10 to power a hard drive and I could put some movies on it and play em? mp4's for example?

MPJ88

Nov 16, 2012

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Get Nexus media app. No root required and you can use hard drives :)

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using xda app-developers app
    I can confirm that the WD My Passport for Mac (500GB) was able to be powered by my Nexus 7, with a cheap chinese OTG cable, without any issue whatsoever.

Can't say if it will also work with a Nexus 10 or not, but I would assume there would be no issue.
    I have so far used 3 external hds on my nexus 10
    1- samsung 1tb 2.5" without external power
    2- lacie external 3.5"
    3-one of those caddy things where you just pop a sata drive in (vertically). This is not an enclosure as such. All 3 work. the drives in 1 and 2 are as purchased. with 3 i just use any old sata drive.
    Actually, I attached my Samsung 2,5'' 1tb HDD today to my new nexus 10 (writing on it right now btw), and it powered up. Sticky Mount recognized the HDD, though I wasnt able to access it without root permission... Got the tablet early this morning :)
    I run a lacie p9300 SSD 120GB and it works without a powered hub with no issues. It does have problems reading the drive though when my battery level reaches ~20% but I think that is due to the n10 limiting power to the micro port as it tries to conserve battery power...which is why I bought a pogo cable.

Apparently the pogo stops drawing power when OTG is being used. Check out the threads on the pogo cable for more info. Not good...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD