Nillkin stand & flip cover case [youtube review]

Search This thread

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Hey guys,

I did a quick youtube review (my first!) of the Nillkin Fresh flip case with stand:

I purchased this cover from ebay, it arrived in a few days from Singapore. The quality is very good although the stand function isn't perfect. It offers a reasonable level of protection for the handset and overall I'm very happy with it.

Last edited:

Khaiyan

Jul 25, 2012
Hey guys,

I did a quick youtube review (my first!) of the Nillkin case with stand & flip cover:

youtube.com/watch?v=OKmFkbxSAXg

(can't embed it due to new xda account - perhaps mod can edit my post?)

I purchased this cover from ebay, it arrived in a few days from Singapore. The quality is very good although the stand function isn't perfect. It offers a reasonable level of protection for the handset and overall I'm very happy with it.

Great review, thanks. I just have one question regarding the case, does the flap remain shut and if so, how? i.e When you hold the case facing down, does the flap open?

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Great review, thanks. I just have one question regarding the case, does the flap remain shut and if so, how? i.e When you hold the case facing down, does the flap open?

Thanks.

Unfortunately the front flap doesn't stay closed, it's similar to the samsung galaxy flip if you've seen those.

I don't find it an issue for me but I can imagine for some it could be a problem (for example: if you were going to put your phone loose in your bag).

Cheers

Zenzic

Nov 19, 2011
Like you said on the video about it not standing up quite right. Would it with time wear and become more flexible in order to do this better. Also how is it pressing the buttons and also as you mentioned when you dropped it, which part of the phone did it hit.

Also for those who want your phone to unlock as you open the cover and vice versa heres a free app I found

Khaiyan

Jul 25, 2012
Thanks.

Unfortunately the front flap doesn't stay closed, it's similar to the samsung galaxy flip if you've seen those.

I don't find it an issue for me but I can imagine for some it could be a problem (for example: if you were going to put your phone loose in your bag).

Cheers

That's what I thought :(

How does it fare in the pocket?

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Like you said on the video about it not standing up quite right. Would it with time wear and become more flexible in order to do this better. Also how is it pressing the buttons and also as you mentioned when you dropped it, which part of the phone did it hit.

Yeah I expect it will wear in over time and should stand up upright a little better, the fold in the flip cover is still quite "springy" at the moment.

I can't say which part of the phone hit the floor when it fell as I wasn't watching whilst it happened. It probably fell from a little under a meter on to hard marble floor, it certainly made a loud bang (suggesting it hit somewhere on the hard back). The phone was still secure in the case and there is no visible sign of damage.

I have a little concern that if the phone hit floor on the very top or very bottom then there is a chance it will completely bypass the case. Although I think this is the same with most hard back cases.

Cheers

Zenzic

Nov 19, 2011
Yeah I expect it will wear in over time and should stand up upright a little better, the fold in the flip cover is still quite "springy" at the moment.

I can't say which part of the phone hit the floor when it fell as I wasn't watching whilst it happened. It probably fell from a little under a meter on to hard marble floor, it certainly made a loud bang (suggesting it hit somewhere on the hard back). The phone was still secure in the case and there is no visible sign of damage.

I have a little concern that if the phone hit floor on the very top or very bottom then there is a chance it will completely bypass the case. Although I think this is the same with most hard back cases.

Cheers

Great, are you in the UK and if so where did you order one from. I already ordered one from ebay (~nillkin_case or something) but it said it'll take between a month and month and a half. So if there's a more viable option i'll cancel that one.
It looks great this case and there is little to choose from wrt cases that have a stand.

EDIT: Trust me to order it during chinese new year :/

Last edited:

parker09

Apr 27, 2010
eparker.me
Looks good, I've currently got a TPU SLine case, but putchased a TPU case with kickstand, which I'm hoping is alright for a daily driver, but if it isn't I might have a go with this case.

Thanks for the review.

Zenzic

Nov 19, 2011
Looks good, I've currently got a TPU SLine case, but putchased a TPU case with kickstand, which I'm hoping is alright for a daily driver, but if it isn't I might have a go with this case.

Thanks for the review.

What do you think of them S-Line cases? How would they fair with a drop from shoulder/chest height? Also let us know how the tpu with a stand goes.

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
Great, are you in the UK and if so where did you order one from. I already ordered one from ebay (~nillkin_case or something) but it said it'll take between a month and month and a half. So if there's a more viable option i'll cancel that one.
It looks great this case and there is little to choose from wrt cases that have a stand.

EDIT: Trust me to order it during chinese new year :/

yeah I'm in the UK too. I ordered off the same ebay seller and despite them saying 4-6 weeks it arrived in about 5 days... Hope your case arrives quickly too :)

Zenzic

Nov 19, 2011
yeah I'm in the UK too. I ordered off the same ebay seller and despite them saying 4-6 weeks it arrived in about 5 days... Hope your case arrives quickly too :)

I emailed them and they said because it's Chinese new year, they're not working till the 14th :( . If only I ordered it the day before lol.

So overall you're very happy with it and would you think about getting a good TPU case like Diztronic? or even Otterbox if it's available?

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
So overall you're very happy with it and would you think about getting a good TPU case like Diztronic? or even Otterbox if it's available?

Yeah, I do really like it and it's certainly good value for money (£7.50/$10). I will probably get a TPU case at some point too and a bumper to boot. I guess they're all good and suit different purposes.

xnordroid

Jan 24, 2013
Yes, during Chinese New Year's it tends to get a little busy and slow especially since Singaporeans celebrate it, some other vendors online have warned about it being slow during this time.

The back seems a little slippery. I had a Mercury TPU which is as slippery on the back as it is on the front glass, so I feel it slide when I hold it with my fingers on the front and back. I guess with a textured front cover on this it shouldn't be as bad? Has any slipperiness from the case been a problem for you? Thanks for the review, it's very helpful.

jimmyff

Feb 11, 2013
The back seems a little slippery. I had a Mercury TPU which is as slippery on the back as it is on the front glass, so I feel it slide when I hold it with my fingers on the front and back. I guess with a textured front cover on this it shouldn't be as bad? Has any slipperiness from the case been a problem for you? Thanks for the review, it's very helpful.

I guess it is a little slippery but it isn't something that I've really noticed or found to be a problem. The naked nexus 4 was crazy slippery, it would just glide across the desk etc. :eek: With this case it's more like a normal phone, it stays put when left alone. Perhaps the stand latch helps anchor it a little better other hardback cases.

When answering calls you'd usually fold the cover over so the inside of your hand is connected with the microfibre material which helps secure it. A small observation is that due to the flip cover having enough material to also cover one side of the phone, when folded back there is more cover than back of phone. It's a minor criticism with the design and one that doesn't really bother me.

Overall I've found the case makes the phone much less slippery but I imagine that a soft backed case (eg: TPU) would secure it even further.

Cheers

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

I did a quick youtube review (my first!) of the Nillkin Fresh flip case with stand: