[TeamROU] ROU UI & Launcher [WIP][10.14.11]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Looneyrat

Nov 17, 2011
We've had setbacks, including our lead dev going AWOL since the start of November. This severely set us back by about one to two weeks.

We might get it out in December. I don't know. We have a lot of features planned for post-release.

Here we go! I bet you it aint dec. And we will hear it all tbru out next year. Close this tbread.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Here we go! I bet you it aint dec. And we will hear it all tbru out next year. Close this tbread.

I am gonna give you one warning. Let it go. There are no ETAs on XDA even if the Dev gives one then it is taken more as a maybe. Things happen that can delay an even prevent releases.

Let it go

Last edited:

claus1953

Aug 15, 2008
I really don't get some of the people on here, they do not contribute anything but yes.... they complain and urge the developers to release their work and comply with deadlines like they were their employers or bosses...this is just ridiculous.
Come on people be patient and not childish, you will get the app when it is ready... or just build your own one. I am waiting like you all for this very promising UI since the beginning of this post, check every now and then the progress posted here, but never never i would criticize or urge the developers.

Reactions: beatstork

punshkin

Jan 6, 2010
We've had setbacks, including our lead dev going AWOL since the start of November. This severely set us back by about one to two weeks.

We might get it out in December. I don't know. We have a lot of features planned for post-release.

if only i knew what AWOL means... help please :)
take your time to make this a good experience!

but maybe you can post a new screenshot?

lactosedept

Nov 11, 2010
Escondido
Bummed I was chosen for Beta Testing, but still really excited about this Launcher no matter how long it takes. Since its Thanksgiving, I guess you could say I'm thankful for devs such as Team ROU. (corny I know haha)

baboonsRus

Oct 17, 2010
Phoenix
Any exciting progress updates for those of us willing to wait? I'd like to see this thread get back on topic.

Sent from my Incredible using xda premium

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
A video sneak peek will be really good. And a good stable release in late December will be fine .

relldroid

May 11, 2011
Tampa
IMO

If this thread needs to be closed, and reopened when we release our app, so be it. It'll hopefully only be a few months :)

Probably a good idea,
I'm no hater nor a developer, but truth is yes team ROU is probably working hard to make something new, they dont owe anybody anything, but on the other hand just because we're not paying them doesnt mean we cant be disappointed when they say something and dont deliver, we expected something bcuz of what they told us, its a natural emotion for us humans, if the rule of xda is dont ask for ETA's then they shouldnt post them. The way i see it, we should just stop posting pointless stuff bcuz this thread isnt being updated anyway, and its only causing trouble, let them do their work and let us find something else to do besides whats going on now, unless someone with a beta posts something new or a dev makes an update, there's really nothing to talk about here right now...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NoAez.png

Team ROU - Aiming to bring a simple, yet elegant UI to Android

*Thanks for all the developer interest guys :) We found the skilled team we needed. Look forward to the Launcher coming soon!*

Members:
    redbullcat - Publicist / Organizer
    cryshop - Head Concept & Graphics Designer
    tyl3rdurden & linuxmotion - Head Developers
    mohit1234 - Graphics Designer
    wozzall - Team Admin

The launcher is based off of cryshop's UI from March and has been updated quite a lot since then. Here is our latest concept video

You can follow us on our Twitter for the latest updates.

You might think 'oh hey another cool concept but its probably gonna stay at that' BUT, we are IN development and in early alpha stages with a working launcher. Here are some alpha build screenshots:
    s2eXr.png
    un717.png

We are doing our best to bring it to you as soon as possible and with hopefully more developers interest(get experienced developers to contact us!), we hope to do exactly that. Stay tuned for more updates on the launcher and other apps we have in mind.

ROU Launcher Release Information:
    Closed Beta Test: Late November
    Market Release: Early/Mid December

There will be a paid version but also a free version as well. The paid version will have all the widgets as shown in the video and other extra features. Stay tuned.

Also, we appreciate the great interest for the launcher but please DO NOT contact us about Beta testing yet as November is a while away and we will be sure to post for applications for the closed Beta testing when November comes. Thanks.

Update on 10.14.11:
    We're making quite the progress thanks to everyone on our brilliant team. We'll post more screenshots / video of what we have next week as we plan to get a lot of things done over the weekend. Stay tuned :) and once again thanks for all the interest guys. It means a lot to us.
    I agree this thread is getting out of hand. I will close it up and the OP can contact me or any other mod to have it reopened when they have an update.

Thread closed

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk
    WARNING: HUGE TEXT WALL
    TL;DR: Its about design

Nice discussion starter wetbo529. I approve. It is a lot better than others who really can't read the OP and yes hearing a different opinion then 'looks great' is quite fascinating. I appreciate you taking the time for the feedback instead of the regular circlejerking. Now as a developer of this project, I would like to respond and hope to hear your further opinions :) I am not offended or anything and I like this discussion a lot. So let’s address your concerns.

So yes it is a cut up sense launcher 1.1 lockscreen that allows you to access multiple categories immediately instead of having a one place ‘all app dumpster.’ Could you explain why you think it is dry though? I personally am quite the fan of it. Sure you may have seen it on sense devices back in the day but it’s never been incorporated into a launcher where you can access apps on a two tap basis according to the app category you put it in instead of having to scroll through it. And why do you think the launcher is too big? It is no larger than the amount any other launcher bar such as ADW’s, Launcher Pro’s, GO’s and takes up the same usability screen amount. Sure it is size wise bigger but, it does not take up another grid. It uses the same 1 horizontal grid just like any other launcher. Also as screens are getting larger that is why it allows for more elaborate designs. If you just want to fill it with more boring icon grids then this launcher really isn’t for you. It’s about usability AND design. Other launchers have great usability but lack the design in my humble opinion. It’s about using the given space better for less unnecessary touches and getting to whatever you want the fastest while looking slick.

A lot of the actual usages in the launcher are in no way ‘special’ or ‘unique’ in the sense that it has never been thought of before. Everything action is possible via other apps. However, that’s not the point. It’s about HOW it’s executed. So at this point if you don’t care how your launchers look then I suggest stop wasting your time by reading this. That’s not our intended market and it is impossible to please every single Android user out there that has varying tastes. The giant clock, yes it’s a giant clock. A clock. Nothing ground breaking. But that’s not the point. It’s about the design. It looks beautiful. It’s minimalistic and just looks really nice. Here is a good analogy: Clothes. Jeans all save the same purpose for being pants. They cover your legs. However there are so many different designs because everybody has varying tastes in how they want it to look. Maybe you don’t care but I like to have variety of clothes that look good. Using a smartphone is an intimate experience and most of us buy it to use it on a daily basis. We will be interacting with it every single day and multiple times throughout that day. The launcher is something I have to see every time I pull my phone out. I want that to look good so even while doing small things like texting and tweeting, I have these beautiful widgets greeting me that looks simplistic and has great animations. Android is a great OS but in its stock form, the looks aren’t great. With ICS some new things will be brought to the table but again, it’s not for everyone and one size fits all is not the point of Android. It’s about customization and having different options and choices. If you aren’t a fan of the design well, perhaps the other themes might fit your taste but hey if this launcher’s design and aesthetics isn’t your thing, I’m sorry and hope you can find something else you will enjoy :)

On the issue of ADW and Launcher Pro, they are pretty much the same, let’s not lie. Sure they are different but the baseline is all the same with just varying small degrees of customizations with the transitions or different dockbar graphics along with tiny different functions. They have the dockbar, app drawer. The end. ADW is great as it offers more comprehensive theming options but it just changes the color and some unique icons for apps. By all means if that’s good enough for you that’s great! But we want something more than that. Circle launcher… it’s not really a ‘launcher’ in the Android sense. I think it’s great and I have it myself but it’s a glorified folder with some different options for the looks of it. Maybe I’m over simplifying and I suppose you could simplify ours and say ‘hey yours is just a launcher too with a dockbar change’ but hey if you can come up with some total revolutionary way of changing our whole way of interacting with Android, by all means make it happen :) Now Wave Launcher on the other hand, also not a traditional ‘launcher’ but I love it. It’s WebOS like and allows you to access apps in anywhere. Now that’s new and I have it also and love using it. It’s a great app.

Now, (yes I’m nearing the conclusion as I rambled on enough) you are a consumer but you are but one out of the many. Sure some will share your opinions and we can never make everyone happy but appeal to a certain target group. Our target group is those who like some flair with a minimalistic design and couple tweaks to make our interactions with Android simpler. If you aren’t the ‘design’ kinda guy sorry you aren’t our target group. I personally (I can’t say for others in our team) am working on this to bring another option to the table for Android users. Sure we are starting small with only a launcher but there always has to be a first step and after this we will continue to bring on further apps to complete the envisioned ROU experience. People seem to like it with our ever growing video view count with 130K views at this time of writing. A lot of them are excited and I think have good reason to do so. I am super excited as well. The reason why I’m working on this is because of my passion. I love programming and hope to bring something that I and others are so excited about to reality. This is an amazing experience. When so many other concepts have failed, we are in active development trying hard to bring this to the people who want as soon as humanely possible. It’s because of this I can continue to labor and manage to stare at this flood of code even while constantly pounding my head wondering why the damn thing isn’t working. Money was never my priority for this project and my passion for bringing this great concept will always be what motivates me to continue working on this. I’m sorry if our project isn’t for you and wish the best luck to you as well. Cheers!

To other members:

This will NOT be a ROM anytime soon. Its fine as standalone apps and there is no reason to fork another android branch just for this. MIUI is pretty different from CM enough to warrant the different ROMs. MIUI aimed to bring a more iPhone like experience at first that CM clearly had no intention of doing so and made it something bigger by having such a comprehensive theming engine that CM did not have that is capable of theming virtually everything and anything. CM has separate tweaks that AOSP does not have and is aiming to be a more unified Android experience that manufacturers have not provided and its source is available for anyone so that they can continue to expand their support devices and bring the latest OS that manufacturers/carriers won’t provide to rejuvenate otherwise end-of-support devices. MIUI on the other hand to the extent of my knowledge does not provide source code thus showing it having a different ideology that is fundamentally different from CM while they are both based off of Android.

Beta testing is NOT OPEN YET. It will be later on in November and we will be sure to notify you guys so I would appreciate if you stopped asking but whatever. We’ve been saying this for a while but not enough people seem to read it.

I also would like to apologize for the recent lack of activity and failure to meet the deadline we set for showing off new stuff. We will show new stuff to you guys soon as this project is not disappearing anytime soon. Thanks for all of your guys support. It really helps.

I am gonna give you one warning. Let it go. There are no ETAs on XDA even if the Dev gives one then it is taken more as a maybe. Things happen that can delay an even prevent releases.

Let it go
    Not so much as a new screen shot, a little disappointing

We're doing a lot of work, trust me. We have working code and once we launch our website, we'll be able to show things off much easier :)