[FONT] Change All Fonts In WM6.5.x!! UPDATE: 25/2/2010

Search This thread

4D3

Oct 20, 2008
Brisbane
How do i get the new font to reflect in the HTCMenus? it looks fine when choosing the default WM Menus, but the "in program" menu fonts used by HTCMenus doesn't pick the new font up. e.g. Open Resco explorer, select menu and the HTCMenu that will pop-up is not using the new font, or even the old font but something like courier new (monotype). I'll take a screenshot and attach in a bit.
you cannot change the HTCMenu font, just the same as you cannot change the font on the HTC Touch Keyboard. I dont know where they get their fonts from.

Courier New
View attachment 283814

I have no cab for courier New i posted DejaVuSans.

MG

pongster

Retired Recognized Developer
Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
I have no cab for courier New i posted DejaVuSans.

MG

The font problem, as appleflap mentioned, only happened to ROMs that I used that are based on 2.07 and 2.09 when I was on 2.05 and below I could use custom fonts across all applications.

The courier new is probably one of the new fonts that come with 2.07 and 2.09...

Will check and update here so those who wish to use custom fonts can do so in 2.07 and 2.09

Thanks for your Font cabs... Will the Zegoe ones I attached suffice, btw?

4D3

Oct 20, 2008
Brisbane
The font problem, as appleflap mentioned, only happened to ROMs that I used that are based on 2.07 and 2.09 when I was on 2.05 and below I could use custom fonts across all applications.

The courier new is probably one of the new fonts that come with 2.07 and 2.09...

Will check and update here so those who wish to use custom fonts can do so in 2.07 and 2.09

Thanks for your Font cabs... Will the Zegoe ones I attached suffice, btw?
Hi,

I cannot download the font without installing software, can you upload here or RS?

this is an interesting font issue, but i dont think it will be a hard one to fix.

as appleflap said, we need to search for .ttf, then get a completely obvious font, maybe a script style font, so you will definitely see the font when applied.

and systematically replace the system fonts and see what changes, i have just searched and there is 21 ttf files, and i already use 6 of them. so this leaves 15 "Unknown" fonts:

Code:
ascmon.ttf
ascmonb.ttf
ascmonbi.ttf
ascmoni.ttf
ascsan.ttf
ascsanb.ttf
ascsanbi.ttf
ascsani.ttf
ascser.ttf
ascserb.ttf
ascserbi.ttf
ascseri.ttf
sorts.ttf
symbol.ttf
wingdings.ttf

there is the "ascmon" set, and the "ascsan" set and 3 other files.

Hope this is a good start, i cannot start replacing fonts not as i am travelling, but i hope appleflap or pongster could maybe make a start?

MG

de Wolfe

Feb 9, 2009
Hi! Thank you very much for your help!! Segoe UI works good - see the attached screens. The only (little) Problem is the fact that the font seems to be bit too big so that in some cases e.g. the 'g' is cut on the bottom. If it had a smaller dpi-value it would look even better, I guess.

Attachments

• Screen01.jpg
    Screen01.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 3,359
  • Screen02.jpg
    Screen02.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2,268
  • Screen03.jpg
    Screen03.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 1,724

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
A minor breakthrough...

Hi,

I cannot download the font without installing software, can you upload here or RS?

this is an interesting font issue, but i dont think it will be a hard one to fix.

as appleflap said, we need to search for .ttf, then get a completely obvious font, maybe a script style font, so you will definitely see the font when applied.

and systematically replace the system fonts and see what changes, i have just searched and there is 21 ttf files, and i already use 6 of them. so this leaves 15 "Unknown" fonts:

Code:
ascmon.ttf
ascmonb.ttf
ascmonbi.ttf
ascmoni.ttf
ascsan.ttf
ascsanb.ttf
ascsanbi.ttf
ascsani.ttf
ascser.ttf
ascserb.ttf
ascserbi.ttf
ascseri.ttf
sorts.ttf
symbol.ttf
wingdings.ttf

there is the "ascmon" set, and the "ascsan" set and 3 other files.

Hope this is a good start, i cannot start replacing fonts not as i am travelling, but i hope appleflap or pongster could maybe make a start?

MG

Ok will upload fonts here in a bit...

Meanwhile I searched for .ttf's in the \Windows dir and I found a "cour.ttf"... I assumed that this is installed by default by 2.07 and 2.09 for the ebook reader (well its not on 2.09 but it means they will probably add it back since the main epub font is courier new... your guess is as good as mine)

So I further assumed that All other applications are choosing cour.ttf by default when applying Manila or HTC Menus....

I renamed cour.ttf to zcour.ttf and rebooted...

et voila... All applications are now using the default Sense font (Helvetica Neue OTS) and NOT Courier New!

1 down, 1 to go... now I need to find out which of your fonts is the actual Segoe UI used by Manila so I can rename that and somehow force all apps that use HTC Menus to use it!

Zegoe-like :) (doesn't look too good on my desktop, Win7, but hopefully it gives us the "Zune" look on our mobiles...)

View attachment 283908

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
Which of the fonts are the actual Segoe UI that you used for Manila Menus? I ask because maybe I can rename this to cour.ttf and have that be applied by all applications. :)

appelflap

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
Ok will upload fonts here in a bit...

Meanwhile I searched for .ttf's in the \Windows dir and I found a "cour.ttf"... I assumed that this is installed by default by 2.07 and 2.09 for the ebook reader (well its not on 2.09 but it means they will probably add it back since the main epub font is courier new... your guess is as good as mine)

So I further assumed that All other applications are choosing cour.ttf by default when applying Manila or HTC Menus....

I renamed cour.ttf to zcour.ttf and rebooted...

et voila... All applications are now using the default Sense font (Helvetica Neue OTS) and NOT Courier New!

1 down, 1 to go... now I need to find out which of your fonts is the actual Segoe UI used by Manila so I can rename that and somehow force all apps that use HTC Menus to use it!

Zegoe-like :) (doesn't look too good on my desktop, Win7, but hopefully it gives us the "Zune" look on our mobiles...)

View attachment 283908

Now that's weird, because the cour.tff file is actual replaced by the cabs mysticgenius provided. But thanks, I think we are one step closer to a solution.

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
Now that's weird, because the cour.tff file is actual replaced by the cabs mysticgenius provided. But thanks, I think we are one step closer to a solution.

i think so... now all my Manila menus are back to the default (all apps menus, manila menus, photos menus, etc.) while my start menu and applications use Segoe UI... much better now but I'd still like to change everything to one font...

when you take out your Times New Roman or rename it, do you get the Segoe UI font system wide?

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
i think so... now all my Manila menus are back to the default (all apps menus, manila menus, photos menus, etc.) while my start menu and applications use Segoe UI... much better now but I'd still like to change everything to one font...

when you take out your Times New Roman or rename it, do you get the Segoe UI font system wide?

I couldn't take out the Times New Roman font but I could rename it :confused: (that is, after i renamed the cour.tff font-file.)

Anyway, I'm back to default manila. Now, let's solve this little problem

dragonkaiser

Jun 1, 2009
french guyana
can u make a cab with this one ?

i allready install it in my phone by replacing .ttf in windows folder (don't know how to make a cab). It look nice (for me) so I thought to share it and ask if you can make a cab with it ?? :D

white1f.png
white2i.png

rescomenu.png
windowsb.png

i have every thing in one font (windows and manila) to do so i rename zetkon in: cour, HelveticaNeue LT 35 Thin, HelveticaNeue LT 55 Roman, HelveticaNeueOTS, tahoma, tahomabd.

and voilà .....

Attachments

• zekton.zip
    69.2 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
I couldn't take out the Times New Roman font but I could rename it :confused: (that is, after i renamed the cour.tff font-file.)

Anyway, I'm back to default manila. Now, let's solve this little problem

I also can't seem to delete any system fonts, even the ones I've renamed... they remain "locked or in use by another process"... tricky, tricky...

How do we delete these files so we can start fresh? I am also back to default Manila fonts in all menus system wide... Start menu and App fonts are Segoe UI...:cool:

dragonkaiser

Jun 1, 2009
french guyana
i allready install it in my phone by replacing .ttf in windows folder (don't know vhow to make a cab). It look nice (for me) so I thought to share it and ask if you can make a cab with it ?? :D

Which ttf's did you replace in the windows folder? do fonts from windows work straight away without any modification?

to do so i rename zetkon in: cour, HelveticaNeue LT 35 Thin, HelveticaNeue LT 55 Roman, HelveticaNeueOTS, tahoma, tahomabd.
There is no modification only renamed them, copy/paste in windows folder and softreset.

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht
I also can't seem to delete any system fonts, even the ones I've renamed... they remain "locked or in use by another process"... tricky, tricky...

How do we delete these files so we can start fresh? I am also back to default Manila fonts in all menus system wide... Start menu and App fonts are Segoe UI...:cool:

I've replaced all asc....tff files with the (same) Segoe files (pffff, dull work :) ) but no luck. I attached a zip with the fonts, so if you want you can play with it.

The problem is where the heck does the system get the old manila font from. All the font-files are replaced now on my system (except sorts, wingdings and symbol, but those files contain all just symbols, so they can be neglected)

Attachments

• ascxxx.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 122

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com
I've replaced all asc....tff files with the (same) Segoe files (pffff, dull work :) ) but no luck. I attached a zip with the fonts, so if you want you can play with it.

The problem is where the heck does the system get the old manila font from. All the font-files are replaced now on my system (except sorts, wingdings and symbol, but those files contain all just symbols, so they can be neglected)

Thanks. so you still DONT have Segoe UI systemwide? wow! this is tougher than we probably thought...

MysticGenius may have some ideas... :)

appelflap

Feb 9, 2008
Utrecht

pongster

Apr 15, 2005
Quezon City
www.facebook.com

How do I replace the asc...ttf files if they somehow claim to be "locked by another process"?

What File Manager do you use?