Possible to build a straight media ROM? As in no phone/GPS functions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

AndroidVageta

Jan 29, 2010
Looking to use my new EVO 3D that I bought locally (bad ESN) strickly as a media device...kinda like a mini tablet or Samsung Galaxy S Player.

Is it possible to make a straight ROM with all phone and GPS functions removed completely? Completely disabled and completely missing from the OS as in no options for these functions + no "Phone" at the bottom of the home screen.

Thanks!

AndroidVageta

Jan 29, 2010
so first you post in q+a and get good answers there

and then for some silly reason

you post in the dev section :(

the answer to your questions are all yes,
carry on (hopefully in the correct subforum) ...

Ummmm...links? And I asked in my other thread strictly to achieve this but all the options and what not are still there...would be a lot nice to have a bare ROM instead of just having these things turned off. Thanks!

I smell something burning!

Sent from my PG86100 using xda premium

Oh crap my cake! :p

jayjam99

Jan 28, 2011
Lima, OH
NOTHING TO SEE HERE.....MOVING ON
tng1.jpg

Reactions: makavelisk

AndroidVageta

Jan 29, 2010

My main question was "are there any media only ROMs" and you said what you said in bold above (quoted).

Where are these media only ROMs that you say exist? Thanks!

sitlet

Mar 30, 2008
Actually, you asked if it was POSSIBLE to make a rom like that, not if there are any roms like that. The answer is yes, it is possible to make a rom like that. And to answer the question you didn't ask, no, I don't think there are any roms out there right now like that.

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Looking to use my new EVO 3D that I bought locally (bad ESN) strickly as a media device...kinda like a mini tablet or Samsung Galaxy S Player.

Is it possible to make a straight ROM with all phone and GPS functions removed completely? Completely disabled and completely missing from the OS as in no options for these functions + no "Phone" at the bottom of the home screen.

Thanks!
see below
My main question was "are there any media only ROMs" and you said what you said in bold above (quoted).

Where are these media only ROMs that you say exist? Thanks!
see below
Actually, you asked if it was POSSIBLE to make a rom like that, not if there are any roms like that. The answer is yes, it is possible to make a rom like that. And to answer the question you didn't ask, no, I don't think there are any roms out there right now like that.
^ the truth.

I would be a ridiculous amount of work to REMOVE the phone/gps/etc functions from a ROM, seeing as how most devs here use the phone for those features. It would require a LOT of smali and xml editing. I would bet money nobody is going to do this for you, since you can just put it in airplane mode to turn off all the functions you dislike, and of course media will still work at that point. You could get the app titanium backup and try "freeze" for the various phone/gps/etc. type apks so they no longer show up in your system. Also some of the keys (capacitive and hardware) can be remapped to other functions as well (i.e. remap search key to launch music). Not sure what else to tell you.....

lufc

Retired Senior Moderator / Resident Priest
Oct 9, 2007
Blackpool UK
www.leedsunited.com
Questions or Problems Should Not Be Posted in the Development Forum

Please Post in the Correct Forums & Read the Forum Rules

Moving to Q&A

And next time you double post you will find yourself on an a Holiday from xda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

NOTHING TO SEE HERE.....MOVING ON
    tng1.jpg