Z2 graphics performance

Search This thread

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
Hey all, I was in John Lewis playing with the new Z2. I noticed that the live wallpapers were really slow and the transition between pages seemed a low frame rate. No way near as fluid as on the Galaxy Notes. I was a bit surprised, surely as the latest and greatest device it can eat any live wallpaper for breakfast?
I was planning on buying the Z2 LTE but I was a little put off by what I saw. I closed down all the running apps on the device but it was still not smooth. I put on the stock water drop live wallpaper and it ran even more stuttery than on my Nexus 7 (1st gen)!! Surely that can't be right.
I expect my Dualboot Games live wallpapers to run buttery smooth on my next tablet!
Was that just a freak occurrence or is that just how it is? Hopefully one of you guys can put my mind at rest or I will pass on this one.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
Forget this stupid stock launcher. Totally irrelevant.

I don't understand how people judge a device by preinstalled crap.

Install another launcher (Nova, whatever), and there you go.

Live wallpapers are battery eating, superfluous s**t anyway.

Reactions: pyro2677

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009

What is there to understand? I had to judge it on that cos it was a display model in the shop. I cant go customising it lol. Thats why Im on here asking the question from people that own one.

Was it the stock Sony launcher at fault? Is the stock launcher really that bad or is the device just like that regardless? For a premium device I would expect the stock launcher to perform at a decent level at least.

As for live wallpapers being superfluous s**t, that's irrelevant. Its been a feature of the OS for a long time now and I was surprised that the device struggled so badly with it. Like I say with seemingly less performance than my Nexus 7.

I was ready to buy one but from what I saw in the shop it made me nervous to drop £500 on it. So Z2 Tablet owners how is the device performing with 3rd party launchers? Im really expecting it to be silky smooth even with a live wallpaper running (obviously I understand some LWP's are badly made and slow no matter what device).

Any comments appreciated!

Last edited:

jai23

Apr 8, 2014
What is there to understand? I had to judge it on that cos it was a display model in the shop. I cant go customising it lol. Thats why Im on here asking the question from people that own one.

Was it the stock Sony launcher at fault? Is the stock launcher really that bad or is the device just like that regardless? For a premium device I would expect the stock launcher to perform at a decent level at least.

As for live wallpapers being superfluous s**t, that's irrelevant. Its been a feature of the OS for a long time now and I was surprised that the device struggled so badly with it. Like I say with seemingly less performance than my Nexus 7.

I was ready to buy one but from what I saw in the shop it made me nervous to drop £500 on it. So Z2 Tablet owners how is the device performing with 3rd party launchers? Im really expecting it to be silky smooth even with a live wallpaper running (obviously I understand some LWP's are badly made and slow no matter what device).

Are you complaining about the launcher or the wallpaper? If it's the launcher, I barely see any lag at all. For the wallpaper it will depend on the wallpaper, the tablet is very powerful with a decent graphics chip, but if whichever wallpaper you are using is badly coded it won't make a difference.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
When the tablet in the shop was fresh out of the box, it's no wonder that it was lagging. For instance, the media scanner will run and other first-time apps and background services will be started. An Android device is always only at it's real snappiness a few hours after first start.

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
When the tablet in the shop was fresh out of the box, it's no wonder that it was lagging. For instance, the media scanner will run and other first-time apps and background services will be started. An Android device is always only at it's real snappiness a few hours after first start.

It wasn't new out the box, it was on the display. They had rows of demo units on display. I closed down all the apps too. There was a lot open from people playing around with it.

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
Are you complaining about the launcher or the wallpaper? If it's the launcher, I barely see any lag at all. For the wallpaper it will depend on the wallpaper, the tablet is very powerful with a decent graphics chip, but if whichever wallpaper you are using is badly coded it won't make a difference.

It was more the wallpaper. I tried the default Android water ripple one and it was really slow, slower than on my Nexus7. Also the standard Sony wallpaper. Swiping through the screens it just wasn't as fluid as the Galaxy Note also on display. Must say it shocked me a bit.

Do you own one? Im after gauging what its like for people that actually own one. Because I know what I saw on display but I only had a short time with the device. I am asking what its like for you guys that own one. Is it smooth and fluid with 3rd party launchers? Do live wallpapers slow it down a lot? I know there are badly made LWPs but Im talking about good wallpapers, does it handle them ok?

I had been waiting for the Z2 to come out but after playing with it Im having second thoughts. I want my next tablet to be hassle free. I dont even want to be flashing roms, Im fed up with that, I want it to be slick straight out the box.

Im considering one of the Tab Pro's or even a Win 8 Pro tablet. I played with a Sony Tap 11, I know its a different device altogether but that thing impressed me! Its so light considering its a full i5 PC.

Last edited:

jai23

Apr 8, 2014
It was more the wallpaper. I tried the default Android water ripple one and it was really slow, slower than on my Nexus7. Also the standard Sony wallpaper. Swiping through the screens it just wasn't as fluid as the Galaxy Note also on display. Must say it shocked me a bit.

Do you own one? Im after gauging what its like for people that actually own one. Because I know what I saw on display but I only had a short time with the device. I am asking what its like for you guys that own one. Is it smooth and fluid with 3rd party launchers? Do live wallpapers slow it down a lot? I know there are badly made LWPs but Im talking about good wallpapers, does it handle them ok?

I had been waiting for the Z2 to come out but after playing with it Im having second thoughts. I want my next tablet to be hassle free. I dont even want to be flashing roms, Im fed up with that, I want it to be slick straight out the box.

Im considering one of the Tab Pro's or even a Win 8 Pro tablet. I played with a Sony Tap 11, I know its a different device altogether but that thing impressed me! Its so light considering its a full i5 PC.

Yes I own one, I've had no problems with lag of any sort.

Reactions: tumpin

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
Thanks Jai23, I will take that on board.

Hasenbein that's funny but sadly true!

I am going to have a think about it and try get another demo of the Z2. What I would really like is the latest Asus Transformer that comes with Tegra 4 graphics. That's the kind of graphics grunt I know I would like but they don't do an LTE version for some reason.

hasenbein1966

Aug 9, 2011
The Adreno 330 in the Tablet Z2 has at least (!) as much "graphics grunt" as the Tegra 4! If you notice lag, it's not because of the "graphics grunt"!

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 AM ----------

Gizmodo Review - they say the same: Simply forget stock launcher crap, install another, be happy with a really great tablet!

http://gizmodo.com/sony-xperia-z2-tablet-review-hardware-triumph-softwar-1565712780

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
Ok guys, based on your replies I will go give the Z2 another demo. Especially now I've learnt that the Tap 11 isn't 4G.

My next tablet absolutely must have 4G. Its surprising there isn't much choice when it comes to 4G on tablets. All top end phones have it but not tablets.

rdann

Oct 16, 2007
Hey all, I was in John Lewis playing with the new Z2. I noticed that the live wallpapers were really slow and the transition between pages seemed a low frame rate. No way near as fluid as on the Galaxy Notes. I was a bit surprised, surely as the latest and greatest device it can eat any live wallpaper for breakfast?
I was planning on buying the Z2 LTE but I was a little put off by what I saw. I closed down all the running apps on the device but it was still not smooth. I put on the stock water drop live wallpaper and it ran even more stuttery than on my Nexus 7 (1st gen)!! Surely that can't be right.
I expect my Dualboot Games live wallpapers to run buttery smooth on my next tablet!
Was that just a freak occurrence or is that just how it is? Hopefully one of you guys can put my mind at rest or I will pass on this one.

I have been using my Z2 with some high res games and have not had any problems, a fantastic tablet.

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
I have gone ahead and ordered one, delivery Friday.
Its been a long time since I bought Sony. I used to buy nothing but Sony but their build quality and service went down hill and let me down so I boycotted them. Their latest stuff caught my eye though. We are in this together now guys..

SANGER_A2

Aug 1, 2009

I dont see why you wouldnt try customising it. on the demo model in john lewis, I found an open wifi network, logged on with my google account, installed antutu and minion rush and tested them both to see how well it ran (very nice). Then I removed my account from it again. :) problem is the tab pro 10.1 also ran very nicely!

Also, there are going to be a number of software updates from sony that will fix issues like poor live wallpaper response. Although I too think they are resource hogging garbage!

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Hamza Murad

Sep 30, 2013
Lahore
@tumpin
Late reply considering that you've bought it but the reason that the store one was laggy was because it had been on for a LONG time. Given it a reboot should have fixed it.

Sent from my Xperia P using Tapatalk

tumpin

Mar 10, 2009
@tumpin
Late reply considering that you've bought it but the reason that the store one was laggy was because it had been on for a LONG time. Given it a reboot should have fixed it.

Sent from my Xperia P using Tapatalk

Yep very well might have been that. I did try closing all in the switcher but maybe a reboot was needed. The poorly optimised Sony live wallpaper doesnt help either. Makes the device look slow! Im happy with it now!

elbello

Nov 8, 2006
NYC
Yep very well might have been that. I did try closing all in the switcher but maybe a reboot was needed. The poorly optimised Sony live wallpaper doesnt help either. Makes the device look slow! Im happy with it now!

Received mine yesterday, and it is pretty damn nice. I had the TF700 for a while, and it seems so slow compared to the Z2, that old thing.
But you do have to install your own launcher, dont use that Sony crap, not so bad compared to usual stock, but other launchers are so much more customizable, why would you want to keep it stock!

Just waiting for a root option without losing the ability to backup DRM keys...

msd24200

Jun 14, 2008
KY
Received mine yesterday, and it is pretty damn nice. I had the TF700 for a while, and it seems so slow compared to the Z2, that old thing.
But you do have to install your own launcher, dont use that Sony crap, not so bad compared to usual stock, but other launchers are so much more customizable, why would you want to keep it stock!

Just waiting for a root option without losing the ability to backup DRM keys...

I to am looking at getting this tablet. Anyone using action launcher on it? I own all the paid launchers except for that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes I own one, I've had no problems with lag of any sort.
    I to am looking at getting this tablet. Anyone using action launcher on it? I own all the paid launchers except for that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I used action launcher as my default on my Nexus 7. I tried it on the Z2 and it works fine. I think it looks a bit plain on this big screen though, not enough customisation to make the most of the screen size. It looks a bit basic so I gave up with it.
    I use TSF Shell now. It looks really good and runs like butter on this thing. They have version 3 coming out soon. It's expensive but I think worth it, really makes the device slick. Give it a trial.