Samsung Galaxy S 5 - Slow Home WiFi

Search This thread

GrymReaper

Sep 2, 2014
Hello All -

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I have been trying for weeks to fix an issue I have with my Samsung Galaxy S5. Currently I have a Netgear wnr1000v2 router connected to an Arris Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 modem (Comcast). The modem is located in my basement and my home has an Ethernet ports in every room. That being said, my modem has a Ethernet cable that ties in directly to the port to my office on the second floor of my home, no other jacks are active but the one leading from the basement to my office. The Netgear WNR100v2 is connected directly into the jack and I have another Ethernet cable going directly to my desktop. My wife has a laptop that is on the first floor of the home and there is no problem with that connection, we even can go outside. When I do speed tests on my desktop, they average about 15-25ms ping, a down speed ~90mbps and an up speed of 11-12mbps, all GB of course. My laptop has the same ping and up speed but the down runs about 40-50mbps.

This is where things get strange. I installed a the Netgear WiFi Analytics app on my S5 and I get 100% signal but it varies from 35-65mbps. I would be ok with that if it was true. Something very odd happens when I try to search the web, go on facebook, youtube or any other site or application. It just clocks and clocks and pictures never come up. I can easily switch on to 4G LTE (verizon wireless) and boom everything is there no problem. If I visit someone else's home with a wireless network, when I connect, everything is fine.

I have changed my wireless channels to 1, 3, 6, and 11, identified that I am the only network using channel 6 or 11 and although that has actually sped up my laptop connections, it has done nothing for my S5 smartphone. I only use WPA2/AES which again by taking away the TKIP with WPA2, it has sped up the laptop, but nothing for the phone. My signal strength on the phone when I am 5 feet from the router is around -35 to 40 dBm, and does not vary much until I go outside the home. I can go into 90% of the home and still get those numbers. I have unplugged the batteries in my cordless home phones, nothing. Turned off home alarm, nothing. Even other people's cell phones are slow in my home.

I do work out of the home so I have no reason not to connect to my home wifi and reserve the data for when I leave the home. One other caveat, is my work, for some strange reason requires me to have DSL for my work connection, but I put that on channel 1 and the home cable is on channel 11. They are, however, in the same room but I do not thing it would make a huge difference....I turned that off too and still no improvement.

So, I am at a loss....I have been playing with the wifi settings for weeks and I am not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance for any help, advice, or suggestions!

Chris

Phazmos

Dec 6, 2010
Moto G Power (2021)
Kinda sounds like a dns issue. Not so much a speed/connection problem, but that would probably cause same trouble on other devices. Router should just get dns info from the modem. For laughs, see if anything is set in the router for dns. Should be blank. Same on your s5.