Battery Drain while on charger

Search This thread

Voltron ish

Sep 1, 2014
It's not all that bad I'm still really satisfied ..After about an hour and a half of playing it only drops from 100% to 94 percent while connected to charger...and that's only on a heavy game like DDE..it does look great!

That's under ideal circumstances. What if you forget to plug in your shield one night to charge and you wake up to find it at 10% and you want to continue playing that awesome game from the night before? You'd either have to charge for an hour or two. Or any play until the battery runs out. That's crazy? You have to be hyper-vigilant about your battery charge if you want to play tegra games.

The more disturbing part is that eventually all shield tablets will not be able to play tegra games. As the battery is used and it loses capacity, there will come a time where it will not draw enough power to play a demanding game at all. How long that takes is the question. With the amount of corners Nvidia cut to bet to the $300 price point, I'm not optimistic that we have an amazing battery.

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
My update carried over from the Nvidia forums...

*A update*

Tonight I tried a Kopi 20 awg USB charge cable along with a 4.8 amp Limefuel power brick (2.4 each port). I was able to play portal for 1 hour with no drop in charge. It wasn't able to climb, but it didn't drop.

So now tomorrow I'll start testing each piece (both factory and my own) through a actual ammeter while using the device and post my results. I have a feeling both the cable and charger (factory) are not up to par. I'll also try with a 5 amp power source and custom cable to see if I can't net a positive charge when in use. Of course the tablet won't draw that much, but it will absolutely supply the max the tablet is allowed to pull.

Pictures and info to come.

*edit*

It is also charging MUCH MUCH faster then the stock ever did. After I get my numbers tomorrow, factory cable and charger are finding a new home in my trash bin. Charging is night and day difference. I am starting to feel better about my purchase.

Voltron ish

Sep 1, 2014

*A update*

Tonight I tried a Kopi 20 awg USB charge cable along with a 4.8 amp Limefuel power brick (2.4 each port). I was able to play portal for 1 hour with no drop in charge. It wasn't able to climb, but it didn't drop.

So now tomorrow I'll start testing each piece (both factory and my own) through a actual ammeter while using the device and post my results. I have a feeling both the cable and charger (factory) are not up to par. I'll also try with a 5 amp power source and custom cable to see if I can't net a positive charge when in use. Of course the tablet won't draw that much, but it will absolutely supply the max the tablet is allowed to pull.

*edit*

It is also charging MUCH MUCH faster then the stock ever did. After I get my numbers tomorrow, factory cable and charger are finding a new home in my trash bin. Charging is night and day difference. I am starting to feel better about my purchase.

Looking forward to your update. In case Nvidia doesn't come through with an official fix I'll keep this as a last resort.

funb0b

Feb 5, 2011
Folkestone
Since 1.1 I can get a positive charge whilst playing HL2(Slow but positive), using an old 2amp charger (Nvidia Usb cable) from my old dead HP TouchPad.

IRKONIK

Feb 5, 2013
Pyongyang

I don't want to sound rude, but I can't not call bullsh*t.
Yes, a cable with a higher diameter can make a difference, as well as a charger with a higher output.
But: there are standards you have to fulfill, unless you don't plan on getting it certified by the fcc and other instances.
The maximum at 5V for micro USB power delivery is 10W (or 2A). For tablets also 18W at 12 (Standard USB. Not micro, not mini). But since the tablet only accept micro USB, I don't believe it'll draw more than 2A.

If you draw 3A via micro USB the plug gets hot. (that's why they only allow 2A).

Unless Nvidia doesn't care about those laws/standards, I just can't believe what you say.

Or they changed the laws in the last 2 years (which is unlikely.)

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One (M8)

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
Yes, a cable with a higher diameter can make a difference, as well as a charger with a higher output.
But: there are standards you have to fulfill, unless you don't plan on getting it certified by the fcc and other instances.
The maximum at 5V for micro USB power delivery is 10W (or 2A). For tablets also 18W at 12 (Standard USB. Not micro, not mini). But since the tablet only accept micro USB, I don't believe it'll draw more than 2A.

If you draw 3A via micro USB the plug gets hot. (that's why they only allow 2A).

Unless Nvidia doesn't care about those laws/standards, I just can't believe what you say.

Cheers

It is rude, but I have not kept my post here updated. So here is my post on Nvidia's Forums from a few days ago.

There seems to be more to the issue. Now that I'm back home and have the equipment to test this tablet, I'm seeing a ton of inconstancy.

As I said above, the tablet will only take a 1.6 amp max draw under any condition but tends to jump all over the place. Even at 80% with heavy use the tablet tends to only draw around 1.1 to 1.2 amps at times. Other times it will draw a full 1.6. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it chooses to draw what it does. I have tested it from 20%, 80%, 100%. Reboots will at times get the tablet to pull what it should be, though I think a 2 amp draw would be better as we could net a positive charge under use then.

So Nvidia, you need to look in to this issue. It is definitely a problem. It should never pull that little under heavy use while the battery is not charged. The fact it is easily replicated should help as I would wager it effects all units.

I'm happy to discuss this with anyone on the thread, but I am only interested in actual testing with the proper equipment. If you have it, test it as I have and lets compare our findings. Not that it would make any difference unless you are running a custom kernel , but I'm looking for stock 1.1 tablet findings.
I never once posted or said it was drawing more then 2 amps. The Nvidia converter box isn't that great either. I was simply stating that better quality parts netted a better result for me. Shortly after, I started to notice the amperage draw inconstancy. At first I thought it might be heat related until I did some more testing using a infrared thermometer on the back of the unit during charge and charge with use. The temps played no part in the amp draw from my findings on my tablet.

I think this is both a software and hardware issue. If you have testing results that differ from mine, please feel free to share. The purpose of this threads was to get info from everyone.

Here it is over there https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/769134/shield-tablet/battery-drains-faster-then-being-charged-when-playing-normal-android-games/15/

Reactions: IRKONIK

Spiteful Monkey

May 23, 2008
Not so much.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It wasn't looking good when I was testing it against other devices for max amp pull either. I think the stock charger isn't the best. At least it keeps with my findings. Now to see about getting consistent charge amperage. 1.1 at times is far below what it should be.

IRKONIK

Feb 5, 2013
Pyongyang
I never once posted or said it was drawing more then 2 amps. The Nvidia converter box isn't that great either. I was simply stating that better quality parts netted a better result for me. Shortly after, I started to notice the amperage draw inconstancy. At first I thought it might be heat related until I did some more testing using a infrared thermometer on the back of the unit during charge and charge with use. The temps played no part in the amp draw from my findings on my tablet.

I think this is both a software and hardware issue. If you have testing results that differ from mine, please feel free to share. The purpose of this threads was to get info from everyone.

Here it is over there https://forums.geforce.com/default/...charged-when-playing-normal-android-games/15/

Oh, sorry, I must've understood you wrong in your first post. I thought you meant by switching to a more expensive cable you were able to draw over 2A. My bad.

Your findings are more than interesting! Thanks! Hopefully Nvidia get this fixed ASAP. The more I read about the device, the more I don't regret sending it back. It was a nice device, but it reminded me too much of the nexus 10 and all its problems.

Last edited:

darni

Jun 24, 2009
I bought this tablet few weeks ago. Last night i put it to charger at 87% after I woke up, and looked at my tablet, it was at 77% at as hot as hell... about 70+ degrees celcius hot... i burned my hand almost. then i took the charger (stock) out and remover the usb cable (stock) from it, the plug was around 60 degrees... almost as hot as my tablet. so I turned the thing off and plugged in to another wall, now with power off, it is not hot anymore.

The battery has been so weak, i can play Brave Frontier with my iPad Mini about 8 hours, with this Nvidia Shield, around 2h and the tablet is while playing so hot ( ~60-70C), that the cover must be on the back so i can touch it. Is that normal? My phone (Z2) runs very hot (~65C) while playing this same game, but not on my old Note 2, that was cool as ice.. If i want to stream and play anything, it must be connected to a charger, then i can stream whole day, battery will last, if charging, a whole day! (It will ran out at somepoint, was at 43% from 100% after 5h of streaming live to twitch while charging) WOW! NICE NVIDIA! :D

kamranhaghighi

Apr 8, 2012
Orgrimmar
NO.... :( i love this tablet i really love it:( now i can't buy it because of this :( + cracking issue + wifi issue :( that's terrible, nvidia ruined such a great tablet for these small stuff!

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

I bought this tablet few weeks ago. Last night i put it to charger at 87% after I woke up, and looked at my tablet, it was at 77% at as hot as hell... about 70+ degrees celcius hot... i burned my hand almost. then i took the charger (stock) out and remover the usb cable (stock) from it, the plug was around 60 degrees... almost as hot as my tablet. so I turned the thing off and plugged in to another wall, now with power off, it is not hot anymore.

The battery has been so weak, i can play Brave Frontier with my iPad Mini about 8 hours, with this Nvidia Shield, around 2h and the tablet is while playing so hot ( ~60-70C), that the cover must be on the back so i can touch it. Is that normal? My phone (Z2) runs very hot (~65C) while playing this same game, but not on my old Note 2, that was cool as ice.. If i want to stream and play anything, it must be connected to a charger, then i can stream whole day, battery will last, if charging, a whole day! (It will ran out at somepoint, was at 43% from 100% after 5h of streaming live to twitch while charging) WOW! NICE NVIDIA! :D
i would suggest you to turn fps lock, can you tell me the results after that?!

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:43 PM ----------

*A update*

*edit*

maybe using high amp is dangerous , nvidia extremely disappointed me :( i loved this thing so much ! it looked amazing ! now im gonna wait for new tablet to come because my other choice is nexus 9 which still has tons of problems like shield ! and is expensive ! and tab s lags at some games ! i will wait for 810 ! can't be on my nexus 4 for much longer :(
this is ridicules , i would connect a computer psu to play games on it :|

Thejimmynguyen

Jul 19, 2013
Has anyone noticed that the tablet will drain the battery under use even on the charger?

I was quite surprised by this. Light use yields a charge but native gaming (not streaming) produces a power deficit. Something such as the Face demo will drain the battery in under a hour even on charge. Games such as Half Life 2 I have noticed will yield 5-6 hours of use from 100% to dead.

I have ordered a good 18 awg charge cable and solid 4.8 amp plug I am going to test with it. I have a usb voltage/amp meter coming as well to see what it is pulling during charge and use.

To this extent, I wish they had included an actual charge port to negate the over draw.

what kind of tablet are you using? You should consider juice defender, clean master, and greenify. It will manage apps by closing them and allowing you to stop those apps that start up by themselves. You will need root though.

Hoover1979

Sep 14, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
My battery is draining while plugged in to mains power

I have the Shield 32Gb 4G LTE Tablet and it dosent matter what game or app I use or even if it is idling by battery drains quickly when plugged into the mains power. Nvidia needs to do some sort of update to fix this as it is annoying. it takes 2 hrs of use (if i'm that lucky) and up to 4 hrs to charge it up again. This is utterly ridiculous! when my device is plugged into the wall socket I expect it to maintain a full charge at all times. I'd expect it to drain if plugged into the PC via USB but not in the mains power!
to top it all the Shield tablet has the quite possibly on of (if not THE) fastest battery drains of all modern devices due to it's power ravenous Tegra K1 GPU.

I hope Nvidia rectifies this post-haste as I am not the only customer disgruntled by this problem!

It doesn't sound normal, it must have some issue either the tablet, or the charger, or both... Man have it checked out. I'm not playing Brave Frontier but I'm playing Chain Chronicle (which I'm told is a similar game) and it doesn't burn up, plus my tablet can last about 5 hours (maybe more, in 5 battery may be low but not completely empty) without being plugged in. It's still a weak battery but you must have gotten a really problematic piece :/

Hoover1979

Sep 14, 2014
Nvidia Shield Tablet still loses charge when connected to mains power.

I have a 240v 2.4A charger now (for another $40AUD) and several of my apps STILL drain the battery. Some drain it big time.

I have compiled a list of battery killers here:
Dead Effect: even if I shut off 2 of the 4 cores this drains 1% off the battery each level played (3% drained with all 4 cores on)
Dead Trigger 2: this app is a battery killer! even with 2 cores shut off, CPU frequency halved, Framerate locked to 30fps and game set to medium detail. this app continuously drains the battery while connected to power.
Return to Castle Wolfenstein Touch: I have a HD Texture pack on this one and the battery drains 4-5% for every level played.
Doom Touch: I have a HD Texture pack and this drains 2-3% off the battery for each level played
Jedi Knight 2 Touch: this has x512 textures to begin with. Drains 5-6% off the battery each level played.
Nvidia Gamestream: This kills my battery by hitting the battery hard. I played about 5 mins of a game and was 11% down on my battery for my troubles.
Plex: when streaming a movie the other day I found I lost 8% off my battery after 5 mins of watching.

I have sent a support ticket to Nvidia.

I hope this gets fixed soon as this is the mother of all head-$%#@s for me.

I will keep you posted if nvidia fixes this BS.

EDIT: I powered up my shield tablet and let it idle on home screen for 5 mins while connected to mains power with 2 of the 4 cores turned off. Battery lost 1% of charge after 5 mins of doing nothing and a further 2% in the next min of idling. My tablet has officially become unusable due to excessive battery drain while plugged in no matter what battery saving settings I use!!!! even with 2 cores shut off, CPU slowed down to 50% and framerate locked to 30fps. the #$%@ing battery STILL drains even when idling!!!!!!!!! Well played Nvidia, Well Played.

I bet I got a new tablet with a faulty battery. It is just my luck for that to happen!

Last edited:

Robbi450r

Nov 23, 2015
I am also having this issue with my nvidia shield tab. It's new in the mail to replace the battery recall on the other one. So it's not an old tab and using stock cords, and never had this problem on old nvidia shield, but since update seems like it slowly started to progressively charge slower and slower, now just being on google or any game it will not charge it will discharge until dead. Even with tab off it still takes all day to charge and charger block gets warm like it's working like it should.

Hoover1979

Sep 14, 2014
So far the answer to any heavy app use is No, based on Geforce forum feedback. Not even the wall charger. Some even reporting net negative charges with less demanding tasks.

Like idling at the home screen or in Sleep Mode!

My Shield Tablet has had nothing but battery issues, since mine arrived almost a year ago!! I am expecting a new one in about a week as my current one is part of the recall. I lose charge even idling on the home screen or in sleep mode. Even with WiFi and Bluetooth switched off it drains. I can only keep a charge when plugged in by locking the frame rate to 20FPS. A gaming tablet that has to be locked to 20FPS?!!!!! I lose charge with the stock standard 2.1a charger that came with it and also with the charger for my Shield Portable (Also 2.1a) and I still lose charge with a 2.4a charger and it takes twice as long to charge back up with the 2.4a! My shield portable never lost charge while plugged in...... Until it upgraded from Kitkat to Lollipop. It is also displaying the same woeful battery performance as the Tablet. There must be a flaw in Lollipop (Or at least Nvidia's version of Lollipop) after my portable went from Kitkat to Lollipop it also keeps losing charge on chargers between 2.1a to 2.4a. Of course Nvidia is in denial as usual, just like they are in denial about the fact they broke Gamestream several updates ago and as a result Input lag is unbearable (They still advertise Gamestream as "Minimal Lag" ROFL!) even on high speed connection and Gamestream ready 5Ghz Router (ASUS RT-AC68U on 100Mbps DL / 40Mbps UL - Best connection possible in Australia via NBN). The Gamestream issue is not being recognized as Nvidia are making like Ostriches and burying their heads in the sand, and I fear that is also the case with the woeful batteries and firmware that is not optimized causing the batteries to drain worse, even while charging.

When I first bought the tablet it was running Kitkat. It kept a full charge on all apps (Like the portable) and it charged surprisingly fast for such a device. Now it takes for ever to charge (I can't believe it took nearly 4 hours to charge from 85% to 100% with the tablet switched off and hooked to a 2.4a charger! The tablet never gains a solitary percent when on, even in sleep mode and it drains, again and again. I have tried factory resets to no avail and I hope the new one with the B01 Battery (Mine currently has the infamous Y01 Battery) at least holds a charge when on and hooked up to the charger. But from my experience with Nividia's issues and their denial and complacency. I sincerely doubt it would perform any better and I am worried it will perform even worse.

I wonder how the Shield X1 Android TV would work as it does not use batteries. Is it compatible with Australian 240v current? I am sick and tired of Shield devices using batteries. I am really pi**ed about my Portable getting the same issue after going to Android 5.1.1 It WAS great for endless hours of non-stop gaming while plugged in, not like the tablet it drains from 100% to 0% in less than 3 hours without the framerate crippled.) adjusting the cores and CPU frequency makes no difference for me. If I only use 2 cores, the lowest CPU frequency and unlocked 60FPS framerate, the battery drains just as fast, if the framerate is at 30fps it drains but much slower, at 60fps it is a power hungry beast drains power like a police officer downs donuts.

I have been using Nvidia products since my first Riva TNT2 back nearly 20 Years ago, I was always satisfied, and I am still with the PC Graphics cards, but I don't want to buy another Shield Device unless it does not use batteries (I am hoping getting the X1 android TV means I can play games no other android can competently run or run at all, Like my favorite games at the moment "Dead Effect 2" and "Unkilled").

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So far the answer to any heavy app use is No, based on Geforce forum feedback. Not even the wall charger. Some even reporting net negative charges with less demanding tasks.

Cheers

It is rude, but I have not kept my post here updated. So here is my post on Nvidia's Forums from a few days ago.

There seems to be more to the issue. Now that I'm back home and have the equipment to test this tablet, I'm seeing a ton of inconstancy.

As I said above, the tablet will only take a 1.6 amp max draw under any condition but tends to jump all over the place. Even at 80% with heavy use the tablet tends to only draw around 1.1 to 1.2 amps at times. Other times it will draw a full 1.6. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to when it chooses to draw what it does. I have tested it from 20%, 80%, 100%. Reboots will at times get the tablet to pull what it should be, though I think a 2 amp draw would be better as we could net a positive charge under use then.

So Nvidia, you need to look in to this issue. It is definitely a problem. It should never pull that little under heavy use while the battery is not charged. The fact it is easily replicated should help as I would wager it effects all units.

I'm happy to discuss this with anyone on the thread, but I am only interested in actual testing with the proper equipment. If you have it, test it as I have and lets compare our findings. Not that it would make any difference unless you are running a custom kernel , but I'm looking for stock 1.1 tablet findings.

Here it is over there https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/769134/shield-tablet/battery-drains-faster-then-being-charged-when-playing-normal-android-games/15/