Micromax Releases JellyBean 4.2.1 For Canvas HD A116

Did You Successfully Upgrade your phone to 4.2.1 ?

• Yes

Votes: 102 61.1%
  • No (Stuck in TP Upgrade)

Votes: 65 38.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
TP upgrade firmware and research on it

Hi Guys,

As usual other guys, I screwed up my Canvas HD 116 (hw version 1 and sw version 16), and then I started work on getting touch panel (FT5206) firmware working.

Well did adb on factory mode and tried running Tpupgrade using OTG keyboard, and got Firmware bin file error. So I looked up /system/bin/factory bin carefully and found out that it searched touch panel firmware in "/mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware".

Here is list of bin files it looks under "tp_firmware"

tinno-fts-update-byd.bin
tinno-fts-update-truly.bin
tinno-fts-update-nanbo.bin
tinno-fts-update-baoming.bin
tinno-fts-update-jiemian.bin
tinno-fts-update-yeji.bin

Now I really don't know which Tinno platform 116 has, byd or truly or yeji.....

I got two firmware bin under "/etc/firmware/ft5206" -

So I copied these bin to "/mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware", given 0777 permission (please use 'su') and tried TP upgrade again, but still same error.

So conclusion is -
1. Either I need to find out other missing bin
2. Or I need to fix permission issue if any

well, I am trying hard, if anyone has any clue, info please let me know.

let's work together and get rid of this stupid touch panel firmware upgrade issue.

mmx service center simply replacing all v16 motherboards by v20 motherboards and loading JB 4.2 on it. But I want mu v16 motherboard fully working with touch, so sure, I will try hard to get it :)

Thanks,
Shrikrishna B

Reactions: plethorahil

deeplyyoung

Feb 28, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
NEED HELP

Guys have flashed this Rom today in my Canvas HD & flashed CWM & rooted successfully, but now after sometime of usage m getting error that ""SDCARD REMOVED, PLS INSERT NEW SDCARD"" & automatically my sd card unmounted & have to restart my device. after restart it works normally,,,m using SAN DISK ULTRA 32 GB Class 10 SDCARD...
can any one help me to get out of ths pls....

Edit: also note that when i flashed the ROM i didn't get any TP UPDATE pop up..... is it okie or not

Last edited:

bharat_goku

Jun 7, 2011
Bangalore
ASUS ROG Phone 3
Hi Guys,

As usual other guys, I screwed up my Canvas HD 116 (hw version 1 and sw version 16), and then I started work on getting touch panel (FT5206) firmware working.

Well did adb on factory mode and tried running Tpupgrade using OTG keyboard, and got Firmware bin file error. So I looked up /system/bin/factory bin carefully and found out that it searched touch panel firmware in "/mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware".

Here is list of bin files it looks under "tp_firmware"

tinno-fts-update-byd.bin
tinno-fts-update-truly.bin
tinno-fts-update-nanbo.bin
tinno-fts-update-baoming.bin

Now I really don't know which Tinno platform 116 has, byd or truly or yeji.....

I got two firmware bin under "/etc/firmware/ft5206" -

So I copied these bin to "/mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware", given 0777 permission (please use 'su') and tried TP upgrade again, but still same error.

So conclusion is -
1. Either I need to find out other missing bin
2. Or I need to fix permission issue if any

well, I am trying hard, if anyone has any clue, info please let me know.

let's work together and get rid of this stupid touch panel firmware upgrade issue.

mmx service center simply replacing all v16 motherboards by v20 motherboards and loading JB 4.2 on it. But I want mu v16 motherboard fully working with touch, so sure, I will try hard to get it :)

Thanks,
Shrikrishna B

Permission should rw-r--r--

Sent from my A116 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: experot

experot

Jul 17, 2013
Agra
Redmi K20 Pro
Thanks, but I am not able to set permission using chown, its not allowing me to do it (Operation not permitted) though I am using su.
Do you have any idea how to set these permissions.

Are you able to mount sdcard0 in r/w mode because it may be possible that card is mounted in read only mode.

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 AM ----------

Thanks, but I am not able to set permission using chown, its not allowing me to do it (Operation not permitted) though I am using su.

One more thing. Try using chmod command because it is for settting permissions like rw-r--r-- which you are trying to set. 'chown' is command for changing ownership of file which might not work.
For setting rw-r--r-- permission you can use "chmod 644 <file>" command. Please refer once on net if I am missing something. :)

Last edited:

bharat_goku

Jun 7, 2011
Bangalore
ASUS ROG Phone 3

use es file explorer press menu button switch on root explorer,mount system as rw,then go to file >properties and change permissions its alot easier
m not sure if chown will work cos tats to change ownership of file not permissions of the file,use chmod otherwise but es file explorer is easier to use..

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
use es file explorer press menu button switch on root explorer,mount system as rw,then go to file >properties and change permissions its alot easier
m not sure if chown will work cos tats to change ownership of file not permissions of the file,use chmod otherwise but es file explorer is easier to use..

Thanks, let me check quickly. I tried with "chmod 644", but didn't see permissions there.

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
Thanks, let me check quickly. I tried with "chmod 644", but didn't see permissions there.

I just check, ES explorer displays RW permission.

But when I boot in factory mode, and verified permissions for /mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware,

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 21795 2013-07-22 19:03 tinno-fts-update-jiemian.bin
----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 21554 2013-07-22 19:03 tinno-fts-update-yeji.bin

I tried chmod 644, but not working.

sdcard0 is mounted with rw, so no issue with that.

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
I just check, ES explorer displays RW permission.

But when I boot in factory mode, and verified permissions for /mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware,

----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 21795 2013-07-22 19:03 tinno-fts-update-jiemian.bin
----rwxr-x system sdcard_rw 21554 2013-07-22 19:03 tinno-fts-update-yeji.bin

I tried chmod 644, but not working.

sdcard0 is mounted with rw, so no issue with that.

It seems we can't set permissions to /storage under factory mode.
I did adb to A116 putting it in factory mode. Using keyboard I can select Tpupgrade but getting FW bin file error. So this must be permission issue for /mnt/sdcard/tp_firmware.

Can anybody help me to understand how to root factory mode of A116, this will allow me to give permissions to firmware partition.

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
few more options try the attached files... am going to try them tomorrow.. good luck if it works!!!

Hi Deepak,
I tried the zip, and TpUpgrade.apk is not running saying App not installed.

Then i did adb and executed /system/xbin/tpupgrade, but got following error -

/sys/class/input/input3/device_name attr read fail

Can you please provide me source code of tpupgrade, so that I can modify it, or you can assist me getting it.

your help will be precious.

deepak_dpk

Jun 6, 2013
Hi Deepak,
I tried the zip, and TpUpgrade.apk is not running saying App not installed.

Then i did adb and executed /system/xbin/tpupgrade, but got following error -

/sys/class/input/input3/device_name attr read fail

Can you please provide me source code of tpupgrade, so that I can modify it, or you can assist me getting it.

your help will be precious.

This can not be a permission issue. The tpupgrade what we interrupted is basically, clearing the current firmware and installing the new firmware.
The clearing the current firmware got completed but not the installation of the newer firmware which is why touch is failed. When you re-run the TPUpgrade next time there is no active firmware on touch panel so it does not know which bin files it has to pick and install.

You can try doing one thing, rename the name of the bin file from tinno-fts-update-jiemian.bin to just .bin and try doing upgrade. (we do not have anthing to loose so you try this out and let us know how it went)

Good Luck!

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
This can not be a permission issue. The tpupgrade what we interrupted is basically, clearing the current firmware and installing the new firmware.
The clearing the current firmware got completed but not the installation of the newer firmware which is why touch is failed. When you re-run the TPUpgrade next time there is no active firmware on touch panel so it does not know which bin files it has to pick and install.

You can try doing one thing, rename the name of the bin file from tinno-fts-update-jiemian.bin to just .bin and try doing upgrade. (we do not have anthing to loose so you try this out and let us know how it went)

Good Luck!

you mean just ".bin", but how can I set that null name, sorry for this.

---------- Post added at 07:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

Good Luck!

I tried with "tinno-fts-update-.bin", but no luck. let me check dmesg of factory mode, I hope it will give some idea.

meenavin

Dec 26, 2012
TP Issue fixed by mmx service

My touch screen stops responding after the failed TPupgrade and gave to Micromax service center. I got back my mobile yesterday installed with 4.2 and everything is working fine. Looks like they have changed the motherboard to fix this issue.

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
My touch screen stops responding after the failed TPupgrade and gave to Micromax service center. I got back my mobile yesterday installed with 4.2 and everything is working fine. Looks like they have changed the motherboard to fix this issue.

That's good news for you. Do you see IMEI number change, might be they replaced motherboard or base Tinno firmware.
Can you please tell me hw ans sw version written below the battery.
How many days they took to repair your mobile?

Anand Godbole

Jul 26, 2013
Pune
I Installed The Os Successfully....... But i have the Problem..... The Screen Flashes when i press power button to lock device and also sometimes other than that... any suggestions????

meenavin

Dec 26, 2012
That's good news for you. Do you see IMEI number change, might be they replaced motherboard or base Tinno firmware.
Can you please tell me hw ans sw version written below the battery.
How many days they took to repair your mobile?

On the day they returned the phone, they told me that IMEI number is not written so will write the same and deliver it. I didnt check the number but I think due to motherboard replacement the IMEI number got lost and they've written it back.

They took almost a month to return back my phone and didnt charge me anything..;)

Hw v1.0
Sw v16

boysays

Jan 26, 2012
Bilaspur
Thnx Mate!!

Micromax officially has released the update for Canvas HD A116 today and it supports Over the air (OTA) updates and is only available on MMX service centers.
Please get the updated rom on XDA so we can flash it at our homes :laugh:

updated JellyBean 4.2.1 with OTA functionality
GPS fixed
clear pictures from camera

check : MMX NewsCaster
check : FoneArena

You can download the stock 4.2.1 JellyBean from Here

All The things you need to Upgrade to 4.2.1 are given Here

To Flash the JellyBean 4.2.1 you need to do the Following steps and follow the steps or you may mess up the touch panel as the last part is tricky:

So here is a complete guide to update Micromax Canvas HD A116 to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.

REQUIREMENTS
• A Micromax Canvas HD A116 with usb data cable
• Please ensure that the battery of your device is above 75%, so you don't get sudden shut down during our process.
• Take full backup of your device.
• Backup data like SMS, contacts, whatsapp data etc etc., as these would be formatted during the process.
• Install the drivers of Micromax Canvas HD from the official Micromax website.
• Download Jelly Bean OS ROM & SP FLASH TOOLS, that you will flash.
Take the backup of the Calibration with the help of Maui Meta (This is to be done incase you mess up any thing while the upgrade. restore the calibration taken before flashing into the newly flashed rom)

INSTALLATION:

1. Install drivers - Mobistel_Cynus_T1_Drivers_x86
2. Open SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119
3. Select Scatter file from the downloaded ROM version 4.2.1 (extract downloaded file from winrar to different folder)and select all files.
4.Goto options->select usb & select USB Mode& DA Download All - & select force to High Speeds
5. Remove battery, Sim Cards & Memory Card
6. Press Firmware Upgrade (Don’t press download)
7. Insert USB data cable to PC & connect your phone & flash tool will detect your phone& downloadingstart automatically
8. When you see green circle than you are done.
9. Remove the cable from your phone insert battery & restart your phone.
10. It will take some times while re-starting and there will be TP Update popup. *
11. You are done& you can insert sim cards & memory card.

*NOTE:

After Flashing and updating from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 there will be a TP UPDATE pop up which will update the TP automatically. So it is advised DON'T TOUCH PHONE's SCREEN ON FIRST BOOT (don't even press the OK button), LET THE TP UPGRADE DO HIS WORK,WAIT FOR AT LEAST 10-15 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

When this appears you are done
ic06pv.png

This was not my first rooting or firmware updating experience with Android devices Yet I was scared to death since I have heard so many users experiencing variety of issues with d fone after updating. Its only 3 days old device so fear was quite obvious :p
Now with shivering hands I tried one other guide for updating firmware which said that we have to press "download" in SP tools.. I followed and didn't work. So searched another post and found yours and it worked out as expected.
Many thanks for your efforts. Everything is working just fine with batter options. :good:
I think previously released devices had faulty hardware n various bugs which were fixed in later manufactured devices. My device is manufactured in june so its a new lot I suppose that's why everything went so smooth and I didn't even see that last message of TPupdate after finishing upgrade. I donno.. Thanks Anyway :cowboy:

shrikrishna.b

Jul 16, 2013
Pune, India
This was not my first rooting or firmware updating experience with Android devices Yet I was scared to death since I have heard so many users experiencing variety of issues with d fone after updating. Its only 3 days old device so fear was quite obvious :p
Now with shivering hands I tried one other guide for updating firmware which said that we have to press "download" in SP tools.. I followed and didn't work. So searched another post and found yours and it worked out as expected.
Many thanks for your efforts. Everything is working just fine with batter options. :good:
I think previously released devices had faulty hardware n various bugs which were fixed in later manufactured devices. My device is manufactured in june so its a new lot I suppose that's why everything went so smooth and I didn't even see that last message of TPupdate after finishing upgrade. I donno.. Thanks Anyway :cowboy:

Yes, your board seems to be new one, what hw and sw version you have written under battery?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Micromax officially has released the update for Canvas HD A116 today and it supports Over the air (OTA) updates and is only available on MMX service centers.
    Please get the updated rom on XDA so we can flash it at our homes :laugh:

updated JellyBean 4.2.1 with OTA functionality
    GPS fixed
    clear pictures from camera

check : MMX NewsCaster
    check : FoneArena

You can download the stock 4.2.1 JellyBean from Here

All The things you need to Upgrade to 4.2.1 are given Here

To Flash the JellyBean 4.2.1 you need to do the Following steps and follow the steps or you may mess up the touch panel as the last part is tricky:

So here is a complete guide to update Micromax Canvas HD A116 to Android 4.2 Jelly Bean OS.

REQUIREMENTS
    • A Micromax Canvas HD A116 with usb data cable
    • Please ensure that the battery of your device is above 75%, so you don't get sudden shut down during our process.
    • Take full backup of your device.
    • Backup data like SMS, contacts, whatsapp data etc etc., as these would be formatted during the process.
    • Install the drivers of Micromax Canvas HD from the official Micromax website.
    • Download Jelly Bean OS ROM & SP FLASH TOOLS, that you will flash.
    Take the backup of the Calibration with the help of Maui Meta (This is to be done incase you mess up any thing while the upgrade. restore the calibration taken before flashing into the newly flashed rom)

INSTALLATION:

1. Install drivers - Mobistel_Cynus_T1_Drivers_x86
    2. Open SP_Flash_Tool_v3.1304.0.119
    3. Select Scatter file from the downloaded ROM version 4.2.1 (extract downloaded file from winrar to different folder)and select all files.
    4.Goto options->select usb & select USB Mode& DA Download All - & select force to High Speeds
    5. Remove battery, Sim Cards & Memory Card
    6. Press Firmware Upgrade (Don’t press download)
    7. Insert USB data cable to PC & connect your phone & flash tool will detect your phone& downloadingstart automatically
    8. When you see green circle than you are done.
    9. Remove the cable from your phone insert battery & restart your phone.
    10. It will take some times while re-starting and there will be TP Update popup. *
    11. You are done& you can insert sim cards & memory card.

*NOTE:

After Flashing and updating from 4.1.2 to 4.2.1 there will be a TP UPDATE pop up which will update the TP automatically. So it is advised DON'T TOUCH PHONE's SCREEN ON FIRST BOOT (don't even press the OK button), LET THE TP UPGRADE DO HIS WORK,WAIT FOR AT LEAST 10-15 MINUTES BEFORE DOING ANYTHING.

When this appears you are done
    ic06pv.png
    Ohh no..i am too afraid of this mess. My A116 is just 1 month old & I can not take any changes. I only do prefer service center people, if they brick my phone then they will be responsible for that. :p

Dude Nothing Can brick this phone, (Dont throw it though :D )..

Do what you want, I was just giving you a suggestion..

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:44 PM ----------

i had bought a new canvas hd
    then i rooted it ,,,,,,,,then i updated it to lewa os downloaded zip from xda itself ,,,,,,but i want to install miui v5 to my hd soo i downloaded another rom from xda which is unofficial miui editid v5 so i flashed miui edited v5 on lewa os through twrp and the twrp shows me rom installed successfully but my phone stucked at bootloop so again i changed my mind to install xperia fusion to my hd n again i downloaded xperia fusion rom from xda itself n i flash that xperia fusion zip through twrp so again my phone stuck at bootloop so i finally decided to move again to lewa

Now comes the problem,,,,,,,,,, the phone started successfully after flashing lewa but there was no network at all so i think that i made mistake while flashing it so again i flash it perfectly with all needed wipes and again phone reboots but still there was no network coverage

so i decided to flash it to its official stock rom and i successfully flash it to its official firmware but still i m not getting network coverage soo plz plz plz help me i tried flashing my hd 2 times to official stock rom but my problem still occursss plz pplz plz help me

You IMEIs are removed..
    check it by dialing *#06# match it with your IMEIs..

What Caused this Issue:- Flashing xperia fusion maybe cuz as far as I know, xperia fusion rom is not made for A116.

Solution :- Use S.N. Write Tool to rewrite the IMEI, Cant tell you the procedure because Its Illegal to change IMEI, you have to google it, by your self.. :good:

Best Of Luck..

---------- Post added at 03:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

I tried upgrading via the SP tools method

everything went fine till first boot..
    phone screen started flashing continuously after that
    no online remedies helped..

rooted and installed CWM in flashing screen
    flashed almost all 4.2 roms in the Forum the issue of screen flash continued.

flashed 4.1.1 all fixed stock rom via recovery
    no screen flickering but only wifi issue...
    i dont have original rom Backup :(:(
    currently using this Rom
    Wifi networks detected , stuck at obtaining IP address forever
    other wifi devices working flawless at home.

Any help on these issues is much appreciated
    1. Wifi connection issue on Stock Rom ..
    2. Upgrading without Screen flashing
    3. How to uninstall CWM ??

thanks

Wifi Issue:- Its the problem in updater Script, I am Giving you a fix, But not sure if it will work or not You can try it though, post on the rom's thread for bugs, not here....

Screen Flicker In recovery Mode:- Flash Newer Version Of CWM, or just Flash TWRP,

Uninstall CWM:- Its just Like installing the CWM, Use S.P. Tools to flash stock recovery instead of CWM recovery,

Best Of Luck :good: :good:

File Link For WiFi Fix :- http://d-h.st/SR4 (Instruction:- Flash It Via CWM/TWRP)

File Link For TWRP :- http://d-h.st/sPy (Flash It Via S.P. Flash Tools) Its an old Version though working fine, Or find new one From Index

File Link For Uninstall CWM/TWRP :- Stock Recovery :- http://d-h.st/S6d (Flash It Via S.P. Flash Tools)

Good Luck.. :)
    thnk u 4 informing...can u plz tell me how to flash this rom because i am new to xda...i doesnt know anything about flashing and i cannot go to service centre because there is no service centre in my area...so i want to flash it at my own only...and what is imei breaking...will my imei break after flashing plz help...step by step..

Ok you need the below files :
    SP flash tool preferably v3.13 as v3.12 gives errors
    The official rom provided in above link
    And your phone obviously
    And micromax a116 usb drivers

Steps :

Install the drivers if you have driver issues check threads on that
    After installing the drivers extract the firmware in the .rar file also extract sp tools and run as admin.
    Select the scatter option and select the file MT6589_Android_scatter_emmc.txt and hit ok
    Check all options are checked n go to tools and see its forced to high speed
    Now most important part hit upgrade firmware and not download it will search 4 your phone then connect your phone without sim and battery it will install it a green circle pops up means u r done.
    Now start the phone and leave it aside as a TP update message will pop up now do not touch the phone or touch screen at that point even when it asks to hit OK dont touch it it will automatically update it leave the phone even if screen goes off hit the unlock button after 10 mins but dont touch thr screen
    When it says upgrade completed then you are done ...
    DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE WHILE THE FIRST REBOOT AS TP IS UPGRADING...IF YOU TOUCH IT EVEN TO PRESS OK IT WONT WORK AND PHONE WILL LOSE ITS TOUCH
    After TP Upgrade completes it will look like the image in attachments then PRESS OK and you are done
    Hope this helps you if you have any problem feel free to ask
    Please update Steps to install ROM, I'm using 4.1.2 stock ROM. :confused: :fingers-crossed:

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

Great.. will give it a try now..

Btw , is speaker mode and data connection working.? have you tested this? I know its stupid question for a official release, but I had real bad experience with some custom 4.2 ROM.

I am replying to this thread on my phone itself and checking every thing i can.
    The screen looks better and no lags on stock launcher
    Speaker during calls works perfectly and we can move apps to external sd without issues
    Camera has improved but i am not satisfied with photosphere and i need to test it further.
    I also had a problem in messaging for idea sim to enable cell broadcast and that was same in previous version .. It may b Sim card fault as loop works fine..
    Will be testing it all out tonight

Added screens for the Micromax OTA software updater showing system upto date
    Also no issues with the net connection 3g or wifi
    Gps locks location quickly too
    hey does sumbody know how to root micromax a116 after upgrading it to 4.2.1 jelly bean...??? please help me... coz i tried a lots of ways to do so... but all d tym i failed...... please help me.... its urgent....:confused::confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hi sourav1894

here is link for [Installation Guide+ CWM + ROOT] :good:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2312557