CUBOT GT72E (MT6572) BRICKED (Help Thread)

Search This thread

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
Hello, first than everything I'd like to thank you all in advance... Now to the problem in hand, I recently got 2 CUBOT GT72E Phones, one of them I flashed with was supposed to be a STOCK Firmware:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.ph...for-cubot-gt72-mtk6572-dual-core-smart-phone/

I used SP Flash Tool for this, the process went seamlessly and when I got to the final OK Green Circle and then disconnected and tried to turn on my phone, it wouldn't turn on or do anything at all, I inmediatly freaked out and tried to find out how to solve it... So after some reading and learning, trial and error, I have found out the phone is not fully bricked and that there might be a solution.

First I took the battery out, connected the phone and put on the battery again and managed to install "MTK USB Port" Driver, the computer successfully detects the device as it, though when trying to reflash the "STOCK" Firmware or some other Backups and previous "working" Firmwares I stumble on ERROR 4032 - ENABLE DRAM FAILED!

After some more reading I think the reason might be a wrong PRELOADER, or so it seems to be with many other devices of other people that had the same problem.

So then I had an idea, I considered myself an idiot for flashing a PRELOADER without backing up the previous Firmware beforehand, but I have another working phone, exact same one, came on same shipping, same stock ROM, so well I then decided hoping I wouldn't end up bricking the second one, to try and backup the Stock Firmware from my working phone, so after Rooting it I used MTK Droid Tools and successfully made a Backup that included what I'm almost entirely sure is a working PRELOADER.bin, I also downloaded some other Backups and Readbacks that meet the same criteria and that I assume work as well, or so they should.

Now... I feel I'm pretty close to REVIVING this bricked phone, just a few more issues and I'm running out of help online just by reading, I'm hoping someone can directly help my case.

After making the scatter file for my backup of the working phone using the firmware.info, and trying to load it into SP Flash Tools, it fails to load the PRELOADER (Fail to load ROM file: PRELOADER) and it apppears in red letters in list.

yyrx.jpg

If I double click PRELOADER on list and pick the working file it keeps saying it fails, what can I do to avoid this, or is there any other tool, I have already tried MTK Flash Tools, I manage to load the PRELOADER.bin in it, but as I go ahead and "Download" it just gets stuck on the Download DA 100% Red Bar until it finally stumbles back on ENABLE DRAM FAILED!

I've tried mixing it up and using the other backups that should work as well, I have checked and they fill all the specifications and criteria for the specific phone, and what happens is that, even if I'm able to properly load the Scatter file with the PRELOADER and everything, when I try to flash it, it goes ahead and fills up the Red Bar and immediatly after that it does nothing and just stops, leaving the Format, Firmware Upgrade and Download Buttons enabled again, the Red Bar remains on the bottom but no change at all.

Now what I guess might be the missing piece would be to be able to fully load the backup I made from the working phone to flash it successfully and reviving the phone. I'm also considering I might have the wrong driver or somehow I'm not accessing the download mode on the phone needed to flash it properly. I've heard something about META mode, holding Volume UP and without battery, I've tried that, though PC identifies it with the same driver, so I'm not aware if I should be using another driver, and uninstalling and deleting the previous one first before trying...

So in conclusion I think I need some help with two specific things:

- Pinpoint the Driver needed for my CUBOT GT72E a MT6572 device.
- Find out how to load the backup from working phone into SP Flash Tool.

I'll also leave the detailed specifics of the phone (the working one) from MTK Droid Tools
Hardware : MT6572
Model : CUBOT GT72E
Build number : Z22D_CQ_E2_A_H1.00_V01_CUBOT
Build date UTC : 20131030-152620
Android v : 4.2.2
Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V1.P18, 2013/09/07 14:55
Kernel v : 3.4.5 (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Oct 30 23:22:42 CST 2013
Uboot build v : -----
LCD Driver IC : 1-HX8379A_wvga_vdo

I don't mean to be pushy but this sort of things tend to get me very anxious and worried, I'd love some help or even replies trying to contribute, I'm doing my best and even if I'm not an expert on Phones and Android Devices, I think I can handle myself with some advice, shouldn't be too hard so just give it a try, any advice or hint will do.

This seems like a good phone, the working one I've been using so far is doing great, it's the first cheap Dual Core device I've seen and I'm really looking forward to developing custom releases for this one, I mean to contribute to this community, but if I can even un-brick this one I don't think I'd be of much help, hurts my pride a bit, I think I can do it, I just need a little help, I'm not giving up just yet so please I'd appreciate you avoid comments like "You blew it" "It's hard bricked, just give it up" or "Return to supplier"

This is a thread that explains how to unbrick MT65XX devices, so before you refer me to it and just paste the link, I've read it and found it really helpful, quoting this thread (Added on Nov 23, 2012 - MT65xx is truly UNBRICKABLE) Please refrain from telling me to give up, I haven't seen a successfull post of Cubot GT72E Unbricking and I intend to be the first one, yet I've seen many posts on both Cubot Forums and other sites of people having bricked their phones by using this "STOCK" Firmware, finding a solution for me is allowing me to help others to solve this as well

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943442

I'll try and contact "rua1" who has developed all this tools and seems like an expert to see if he can help me.

Again thanks for taking the time to read this thread, I look forward to your replies.

Last edited:
Reactions: parayand

Ronaldo_9

May 7, 2010
London
BUMP (Perhaps I posted too late in the night)

If you have 2 phones then you are in luck.

Use the mktool and sp flash to make a full backup of the working phone and use the back up and to restore the soft bricked one.

Loads of guides on how to do it.

Use this guide to backup the working one xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2438752

Last edited:

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
Managed to unbrick - lost imei & baseband

I managed to revive the phone using the "Stock" firmware, it's scatter file, but writting the preloader from my other phone, the ROM had no Developer Options to enable USB Debugging, I installed an update through recovery and it was now there, rooted it, but now I've lost IMEI and Baseband on it, I also had WARNING NVRAM = ERR 0x00 on Wifi, but managed to solve it by Hex Editting the WIFI file inside data\nvram\APCFG\APRDEB with the right MAC Address.

So far so good, but from all the methods I've seen and found to write IMEI into device, none have worked...

I assume there is a problem regarding "pttycmd1" and lot of files that are on the dev\radio folder of the working phone and that the unbricked one doesn't have, strangely though I can't seem to copy the "radio" folder or any of the files inside it with Root Explorer or any other root file explorer, it simply gets stuck on the first file, permissions on the folder and files are fine... So I don't know what the problem might be or how to sort it out...

Some threads I've seen online suggest flashing the SEC_RO.img from a backup (I'd use the one from the working phone). Yet I'm not sure if I should or could do it, strangely the only Scatter file that works is the one from the "Stock" firmware, should I try loading that scatter file, only ticking SEC_RO.img and loading the one from my backup into it and hit Download?

There should be no harm in it, but I wonder if it would cause both phones to have the same IMEI...

In conclusion and to make it clear, I have revived the phone but it seems somehow NVRAM got formatted and I lost IMEI, Baseband and pretty much everything you'd lose when you format NVRAM...

Any thoughts?

Ronaldo_9

May 7, 2010
London
I managed to revive the phone using the "Stock" firmware, it's scatter file, but writting the preloader from my other phone, the ROM had no Developer Options to enable USB Debugging, I installed an update through recovery and it was now there, rooted it, but now I've lost IMEI and Baseband on it, I also had WARNING NVRAM = ERR 0x00 on Wifi, but managed to solve it by Hex Editting the WIFI file inside data\nvram\APCFG\APRDEB with the right MAC Address.

So far so good, but from all the methods I've seen and found to write IMEI into device, none have worked...

I assume there is a problem regarding "pttycmd1" and lot of files that are on the dev\radio folder of the working phone and that the unbricked one doesn't have, strangely though I can't seem to copy the "radio" folder or any of the files inside it with Root Explorer or any other root file explorer, it simply gets stuck on the first file, permissions on the folder and files are fine... So I don't know what the problem might be or how to sort it out...

Some threads I've seen online suggest flashing the SEC_RO.img from a backup (I'd use the one from the working phone). Yet I'm not sure if I should or could do it, strangely the only Scatter file that works is the one from the "Stock" firmware, should I try loading that scatter file, only ticking SEC_RO.img and loading the one from my backup into it and hit Download?

There should be no harm in it, but I wonder if it would cause both phones to have the same IMEI...

In conclusion and to make it clear, I have revived the phone but it seems somehow NVRAM got formatted and I lost IMEI, Baseband and pretty much everything you'd lose when you format NVRAM...

Any thoughts?

Should be fine, extract the recovery and sec ro from working phone and flash.

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
Tried it

Well I did it with the SEC_RO.bin, and even managed to flash the NVRAM.bin after some pretty annoying scatter file editting, the only scatter that works is quite more complex than your regular scatter, but I managed to do it, so I know have the same files in the "radio" folder and etc...

Still can't manage to recover IMEI or write it with any tools...

I didn't flash the Recovery.bin from the working phone, would it make any actual difference? Just asking... I'm still quite new to all of this...

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
IMEI doesn't remain

I managed to Write the IMEI with this tool, check this screenshot:

zvk7.jpg

However when I reboot the phone IMEI's remain "Invalid", I'm assuming the phone is rolling it back, when I had problems with the Wifi WARNING ERR 0x00 I had to not only Hex Edit the WIFI file with the correct MAC Address but also change it's permission to only read to prevent the phone from rolling back to wrong file, is there a way to prevent the IMEI not being stuck to the phone? Perhaps formatting the NVRAM before trying to write the IMEI?

Last edited:

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
HELP PLZ

C'mon people, I'm so close already, just one more push, read the post and help me out, I know I can solve this!

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
BUMP

BUMP! C'mon guys almost there, with two phones, there must be a way to backup and flash Baseband, NVRAM or w/e is needed from the working phone to the other one, I just haven't stumbled on the right one... MT6572, CUBOT GT72E, Thanks!

Aedirus

Jan 2, 2014
Valencia
Re-BUMP

Re-BUMPING, I hope I'm not abusing it, I just would like for more people to try and give me some advice... Can't be that hard, again I have two phones, one of them is working with the stock firmware and has all the Baseband and IMEI info...

spawn784

Feb 2, 2010
I had the same problem with my Huawei Y511, I can restore with the phone of my wife, this is the same phone! For restore the NVRAM you can use MTK DROID TOOLS the last version, support the MT6572...

pacattosul

Jan 10, 2009
hello ! im in the same situation here... ive revived the phone but no imei and can't write it with any tool out there... can anybody give me a hand here?? please !!!

thanks in advance !!

h3ct0r

Oct 4, 2007
Great to hear!

Next week I'll have the bricked GT72E again in my hands,
I read the url what was placed here to another topic but that file is made for another MTK6572.
Anyone who can supply me the correct file for the GT72E with a small tutorial.
Thnx in advance

h3ct0r

Oct 4, 2007
BUMP @Aedirus

Can you send me a scatter file, I have the device here but with the tutorials that I found on this topic I can't come further.
Thnx in advance!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello, first than everything I'd like to thank you all in advance... Now to the problem in hand, I recently got 2 CUBOT GT72E Phones, one of them I flashed with was supposed to be a STOCK Firmware:

http://blog.geekbuying.com/index.ph...for-cubot-gt72-mtk6572-dual-core-smart-phone/

I used SP Flash Tool for this, the process went seamlessly and when I got to the final OK Green Circle and then disconnected and tried to turn on my phone, it wouldn't turn on or do anything at all, I inmediatly freaked out and tried to find out how to solve it... So after some reading and learning, trial and error, I have found out the phone is not fully bricked and that there might be a solution.

First I took the battery out, connected the phone and put on the battery again and managed to install "MTK USB Port" Driver, the computer successfully detects the device as it, though when trying to reflash the "STOCK" Firmware or some other Backups and previous "working" Firmwares I stumble on ERROR 4032 - ENABLE DRAM FAILED!

After some more reading I think the reason might be a wrong PRELOADER, or so it seems to be with many other devices of other people that had the same problem.

So then I had an idea, I considered myself an idiot for flashing a PRELOADER without backing up the previous Firmware beforehand, but I have another working phone, exact same one, came on same shipping, same stock ROM, so well I then decided hoping I wouldn't end up bricking the second one, to try and backup the Stock Firmware from my working phone, so after Rooting it I used MTK Droid Tools and successfully made a Backup that included what I'm almost entirely sure is a working PRELOADER.bin, I also downloaded some other Backups and Readbacks that meet the same criteria and that I assume work as well, or so they should.

Now... I feel I'm pretty close to REVIVING this bricked phone, just a few more issues and I'm running out of help online just by reading, I'm hoping someone can directly help my case.

After making the scatter file for my backup of the working phone using the firmware.info, and trying to load it into SP Flash Tools, it fails to load the PRELOADER (Fail to load ROM file: PRELOADER) and it apppears in red letters in list.

yyrx.jpg

If I double click PRELOADER on list and pick the working file it keeps saying it fails, what can I do to avoid this, or is there any other tool, I have already tried MTK Flash Tools, I manage to load the PRELOADER.bin in it, but as I go ahead and "Download" it just gets stuck on the Download DA 100% Red Bar until it finally stumbles back on ENABLE DRAM FAILED!

I've tried mixing it up and using the other backups that should work as well, I have checked and they fill all the specifications and criteria for the specific phone, and what happens is that, even if I'm able to properly load the Scatter file with the PRELOADER and everything, when I try to flash it, it goes ahead and fills up the Red Bar and immediatly after that it does nothing and just stops, leaving the Format, Firmware Upgrade and Download Buttons enabled again, the Red Bar remains on the bottom but no change at all.

Now what I guess might be the missing piece would be to be able to fully load the backup I made from the working phone to flash it successfully and reviving the phone. I'm also considering I might have the wrong driver or somehow I'm not accessing the download mode on the phone needed to flash it properly. I've heard something about META mode, holding Volume UP and without battery, I've tried that, though PC identifies it with the same driver, so I'm not aware if I should be using another driver, and uninstalling and deleting the previous one first before trying...

So in conclusion I think I need some help with two specific things:

- Pinpoint the Driver needed for my CUBOT GT72E a MT6572 device.
    - Find out how to load the backup from working phone into SP Flash Tool.

I'll also leave the detailed specifics of the phone (the working one) from MTK Droid Tools
    Hardware : MT6572
    Model : CUBOT GT72E
    Build number : Z22D_CQ_E2_A_H1.00_V01_CUBOT
    Build date UTC : 20131030-152620
    Android v : 4.2.2
    Baseband v: MOLY.WR8.W1315.MD.WG.MP.V1.P18, 2013/09/07 14:55
    Kernel v : 3.4.5 (gcc version 4.6.x-google 20120106 (prerelease) (GCC) ) #1 SMP Wed Oct 30 23:22:42 CST 2013
    Uboot build v : -----
    LCD Driver IC : 1-HX8379A_wvga_vdo

I don't mean to be pushy but this sort of things tend to get me very anxious and worried, I'd love some help or even replies trying to contribute, I'm doing my best and even if I'm not an expert on Phones and Android Devices, I think I can handle myself with some advice, shouldn't be too hard so just give it a try, any advice or hint will do.

This seems like a good phone, the working one I've been using so far is doing great, it's the first cheap Dual Core device I've seen and I'm really looking forward to developing custom releases for this one, I mean to contribute to this community, but if I can even un-brick this one I don't think I'd be of much help, hurts my pride a bit, I think I can do it, I just need a little help, I'm not giving up just yet so please I'd appreciate you avoid comments like "You blew it" "It's hard bricked, just give it up" or "Return to supplier"

This is a thread that explains how to unbrick MT65XX devices, so before you refer me to it and just paste the link, I've read it and found it really helpful, quoting this thread (Added on Nov 23, 2012 - MT65xx is truly UNBRICKABLE) Please refrain from telling me to give up, I haven't seen a successfull post of Cubot GT72E Unbricking and I intend to be the first one, yet I've seen many posts on both Cubot Forums and other sites of people having bricked their phones by using this "STOCK" Firmware, finding a solution for me is allowing me to help others to solve this as well

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1943442

I'll try and contact "rua1" who has developed all this tools and seems like an expert to see if he can help me.

Again thanks for taking the time to read this thread, I look forward to your replies.