[Q] Push MX Player into /system/app

Search This thread

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Hi,

I'm trying to move MX Player into /system/app but even though I apktool decompile it and add its libraries to /system/lib it keeps requesting me to download the codecs on startup.

Summing up, what is shown here: xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=54329455

Any hint on how to successfuly add MXP as a system app?

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

I'm trying to move MX Player into /system/app but even though I apktool decompile it and add its libraries to /system/lib it keeps requesting me to download the codecs on startup.

It searches for .so files from ApplicationInfo.nativeLibraryDir folder.
I have no idea what this folder will be if installed as a system app.
It is typically this form if installed as a downloaded app;
For old Android: /data/data/com.mxtech.ffmpeg.v7_neon/libs
For KitKat and later: /data/app-lib/com.mxtech.ffmpeg.v7_neon-1

I will be able to check more if you post logcat log.

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Thanks mate!

Unfortunately, things are not that easy: actually my mopho isn't rooted. And yes, before you ask how I'm moving it to /system, what I did is to un-sparse the system.img from stock. So, now I mount, modify, re-sparse and heimdall flash using a script of mine. Problem is as everything is still stock I've almost no way to debug or troubleshoot anything live.

Back to the point, I think this is a strange way of doing things. I mean, I thought the "rule of thumb" for .so was to always default to /system/lib unless an update for the given apk was installed (in which case, /data does come into play).

But doing things like MXP does seems strange and at the same time makes me think one could never integrate MX into any ROM. This because MXP *always* searches into /data (as per your comment) and only way to move/copy/symlink into there after a data wipe/factory reset is a bit tricky. Any other way you could think of? I'm open to alternatives.

Finally, I could see lots of guys out there wishing to put MXP as their custom ROM player. Are you MXP devs planning to somehow make this easier? Please don't get me wrong, I'm asking kindly and in no way telling you what you have to do or "claiming" unpolitely.

Last edited:

bleu8888

Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

New test build may be installed on /system/app:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpen/translation/test-build

Also I also wrote brief instruction on FAQ:
https://sites.google.com/site/mxvpe...l-MX-Player-as-a-system-app-on-my-custom-ROM-

Reactions: mpdayii and CDB-Man

zappacor

Aug 9, 2006
Thanks man!!!! Will give it a try ASAP (cannot now).

One comment, regarding the FAQ:
But this is not the case for MX Player Pro. Even if you purchased a copy, it is only for your personal use and cannot be shipped on the ROM for other person.
please bear in mind the idea of some of us is to move MXP into the ROM to free up /data space instead of creating a ROM to be distributed.

At least in my case, it seems I'll have to stay on the unpaid version as I do need to move as much as possible out of /data :(

Top Liked Posts