Craig 7" Tablet - CMP 738a Rooted

Search This thread

trendicoff

Dec 22, 2009
@LeftShoe

Thanks for the suggestions but sadly I have already been doing all of those things. It is with all those battery saving tips that I only get 12 hours of standby. UPDATE: I did manage to get 14 hours yesterday by stopping the GoogleTalk service from the normal android menu so that was a nice bonus.

As for the app deletion, I appreciate your advice but again it is not new information. On my Kyros I can do as you say and press, hold, and then drag off to delete. On the Craig I can hold the icon as long as I want, it won't move and no trashcan appears. Again I'm running 4.3 if that matters.

Another general question to the community, the AC adapter is rather flimsy and I'm worried about the internals fraying. Does anyone know where to get a replacement adapter? I've scoured the internet and I can't find 9v/1.5a with a Type A barrel (0.7/2.35) that I believe the Craig uses.

LeftShoe

Mar 14, 2011
@LeftShoe

Thanks for the suggestions but sadly I have already been doing all of those things. It is with all those battery saving tips that I only get 12 hours of standby. UPDATE: I did manage to get 14 hours yesterday by stopping the GoogleTalk service from the normal android menu so that was a nice bonus.

As for the app deletion, I appreciate your advice but again it is not new information. On my Kyros I can do as you say and press, hold, and then drag off to delete. On the Craig I can hold the icon as long as I want, it won't move and no trashcan appears. Again I'm running 4.3 if that matters.

Another general question to the community, the AC adapter is rather flimsy and I'm worried about the internals fraying. Does anyone know where to get a replacement adapter? I've scoured the internet and I can't find 9v/1.5a with a Type A barrel (0.7/2.35) that I believe the Craig uses.
@ trendicoff - Thanks for verifying that the battery can last 13+ hours
I know that the battery-life info not new information. I only commented because some posters continue to complain that the CRAIG battery will only last 3-5 hours when not in use. I just wanted to correct that misinformation.

LeftShoe

Mar 14, 2011
@LeftShoe

Regarding A Replacement Charger For the CRAIG:
I ordered a charger from Amazon that seemed to be the right size, but the plug/tip was too small for the CRAIG.
So, i went to Target, Walmart, Dollar Tree, but no luck.
I found success at Radio shack (RS). Some RS stores have a section with power chargers/adapter. RS carries a line called ENECELL. At my local RS, they have 30 long black strings with an adapter/plug at the end of each string. One one of the tips/plugs matched the CRAIG exactly. The Enercell model 273-365 Enercell Universal DC Power Adapter included four tips/plugs including a exact CRAIG Match. Price $24.99. [ I did not buy the Enercell Adapter. Wanted a CAR charger Under $10. ... Go to RS yourself, and verify the tip before you buy. I Am Not Responsible If The Tip Is Not Inside.

Then I remembered a Universal Car Charger I bought on a WOOT-like site a few months back. I searched and found it. The PEAK PKCOJQ universal car charger comes with 6 different tips/plugs. One of the plugs is a perfect fit for the CRAIG. Even has the same yellow tip. (12V DC converted to 1.5, 3, 4, 5, 6 or 9 Volts DC) (1 amp (1000mA)) You can find it for under $10 shipped. Just google PKCOJQ. I can use it in the car.
At home, the PEAK PKCOJQ car charger can be plugged into the Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter and used as a wall charger.
PEAK PKCOJQ universal car charger $8.24 shiped at Amazon
Universal AC to DC Car Cigarette Lighter Socket Adapter $2.54 shipped at Amazon.
Combination: $8.24 + $2.99 = $11.23 Shipped (a slick deal ?)
. CAUTION: When using these power adapters, you must put the top/plug in correctly. Positive or negative polarity. Correct setting on back of CRAIG.

Last edited:

trendicoff

Dec 22, 2009
Nice idea about the charger although it's rated to only give a max of 600mA so you'll have a much slower charging time (although probably extend the life of the battery). The smallest tip in that package is the Type A that I described -- was that the one that fit?

LeftShoe

Mar 14, 2011
Nice idea about the charger although it's rated to only give a max of 600mA so you'll have a much slower charging time (although probably extend the life of the battery). The smallest tip in that package is the Type A that I described -- was that the one that fit?
Dude/Ma'am, you got to be a little more positive. First you had nothing, now I gave you 2 choices. Just say "Thanks"
You are referring to the RadioShack Enercel 273-365 car Charger.
I found the online information regarding the Enecell tips to be confusing. Through the process of elimination, I decided it must be tip Type-A. But I could not verify that online. My RadioShack had many individual Enercell tips/plugs, but not the one that matched the CRAIG. I only spotted the CRAIG match inside the Enercel 273-365 Box. Go to RS and see for yourself.

The Peak PKCOJQ works Great. Combination $11.23 shipped

The RadioShack Enercell chargers are costly. They come in a variety of Watt and Amp combinations. $24 to $54. Individual tips for $6.99

trendicoff

Dec 22, 2009
Lol, I didn't mean to be ungrateful, I honestly meant "nice idea" and I appreciate all the answers. It's a little more, but I saw this on amazon. Similar idea just 1200mA so closer to the original charger and supposedly it stays pretty cool which can be an issue with step-up adapters.

In another vein, I'm going to try a little experiment tonight and try to use a USB to type A cable to charge the craig (they're pretty common on rechargeable video game equipment e.g. XBOX and Wii controllers). Because it will only provide 5v/500mA I doubt it will be able to charge it, but perhaps it can provide a good chunk of the needed operating power so at least make it last a few more hours of use.

tone007

Nov 10, 2005
This whole "crank it down to save power thing" is lame, I wanna use it, so I opened it up and doubled the battery capacity. Mine has been on for 12 hours now, with WiFi on.

tone007

Nov 10, 2005
I used 2 3.7V batteries from a couple of old cellphones I had lying around wired in series to make 7.4V, and then wired those two in parallel with the other set of two batteries. 2 batteries, soldering iron, and some wire is all it took, and gently moving one of the original batteries over and stacking the two original ones together (they're very thin.)

It might catch on fire, but so far it's working.

lexluthorxx

Mar 9, 2011
if you read the posts you will find what you are looking for...most of what you are asking for is already answered and links are contained in previous posts

regards

zobo1942

Feb 20, 2011
And... for some bizarre reason, the market has stopped working on my tablet. I'm using 4.2

Anyone else had a 'spontaneous remission of functionality'?

LeftShoe

Mar 14, 2011
Wondering if anyone has the original device image or a link to it?
Thanks,
if you read the posts you will find what you are looking for...most of what you are asking for is already answered and links are contained in previous posts
regards
@offisland32 .. Were you able to find the Original Rom For The Craig CMP738a?
I think its pretty rude how some viewers/posters just ignore legitimate questions by some. I just wanted to see if anyone would take the time and reply to your lrgitimate question. After viewing a few forums discussing the Craig 738a, a saw that number of posters have requested a copy of the Original CMP738a Rom. But no Luck. As I recall, in one forum someone said that the Original Rom wasn't availabe anywhere for download.
Sorry for the way so many viewers just ignored your question as if it were not a legitimate question. Or refer you so search elsewhere in this thread, when they could have just as easily pointed you in the right direction or page number. That's rude. I think that we all would like to have a copy of the Original Craig CMP738a Rom downloaded for safe keeping. My experience is that only a few of the commenters/viewers here ever take the time to help people in need. The few that do take the time to help, are often criticized for doing so. SHAD does most of the hard work. Some others help. But too many just act as overly critical, non helpful, leeches. Quick to complain, and very slow to help.
Just watch the comments that follow, to prove my point.

If anyone knows where to find a copy of the Original CMP738a Rom, please direct " offisland32 " and me to it. Thank You

1234td

Mar 26, 2011
There is a link for the stock ROM posted by Shad in a forum on the SlateDroid website.

Unfortunately, I'm a new user here and I'm not allowed to post links.:(

PM me and I'll send you the link to the forum posting and you can post it here for others.

lexluthorxx

Mar 9, 2011
@offisland32 .. Were you able to find the Original Rom For The Craig CMP738a?
I think its pretty rude how some viewers/posters just ignore legitimate questions by some. I just wanted to see if anyone would take the time and reply to your lrgitimate question. After viewing a few forums discussing the Craig 738a, a saw that number of posters have requested a copy of the Original CMP738a Rom. But no Luck. As I recall, in one forum someone said that the Original Rom wasn't availabe anywhere for download.
Sorry for the way so many viewers just ignored your question as if it were not a legitimate question. Or refer you so search elsewhere in this thread, when they could have just as easily pointed you in the right direction or page number. That's rude. I think that we all would like to have a copy of the Original Craig CMP738a Rom downloaded for safe keeping. My experience is that only a few of the commenters/viewers here ever take the time to help people in need. The few that do take the time to help, are often criticized for doing so. SHAD does most of the hard work. Some others help. But too many just act as overly critical, non helpful, leeches. Quick to complain, and very slow to help.
Just watch the comments that follow, to prove my point.

If anyone knows where to find a copy of the Original CMP738a Rom, please direct " offisland32 " and me to it. Thank You

Yes i think its rude for someone not to Just tell you where the post is instead of suggesting that what you want has already been posted. Maybe I was having a bad day.....or maybe i failed to recognize the confusion that some posts can have.... I meant no disrespect ....try post 139

regards

Androbot 1st

Mar 10, 2011
Yes i think its rude for someone not to Just tell you where the post is instead of suggesting that what you want has already been posted. Maybe I was having a bad day.....or maybe i failed to recognize the confusion that some posts can have.... I meant no disrespect ....try post 139

regards

Here is adress for the Original Rom for The Craig CMP738a was posted by Shad in the post #362 on StateDroid.com. Sorry I cant add the link

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For all the Canadians out there, Zellers is selling this tablet for $149 in stores. It is a pretty cheap tablet, so don't expect too much out of it. It is based on the RockChip 2818, and I have created a rooted update image.

Summary of changes from stock:

Removed FaceBook
    Removed Kindle
    Removed Default Launcher
    Added Launcher Pro
    Added SuperUser

To install, save the file to the internal memory as update.img and remove the usb cable; it will prompt you to update.

WARNING:
    This will erase all your current data, and as always I a not responsible for bricking your device!

Release 3:

Added back cell standby - causing crashes in wireless and network settings
    Added working market. Only tested with applications that do not require SD card

Release 4:

1. Added Live Wallpaper Picker
    2. Added Particles Live Wallpaper
    3. Added ADBWireless
    4. Changed /system/bin/su and sh permissions (To fix ADBWireless)

Release 4.1:
    1. Switch to aufs (Read/Write system)
    2. Removed Twitter
    3. Add aCCleaner 1.10
    4. Add OneTimeInitializer
    5. Update Maps to 5.1.0
    6. Update YouTube 2.0.26
    7. Enable Device USB Mode by default

Release 4.2:
    1. Fix Root
    2. Add Titanium Backup and sqlite3

Release 4.3

Removed Launcher Pro
    Removed Market 5.1.0
    Added Zeam
    Added Bash 4.1
    Add ButtonMapper
    Update BusyBox to 1.18.3
    Added symlink to tar
    Updated BootLoader to 5.05
    Added Launcher2 for Wallpapers

Market Fix if not working:

1. Open Settings.
    2. Select Applications.
    3. Select Manage Applications.
    4 Press Menu > Filter > All
    5. Clear Cache for - Checkin Service, Download Manager, Gmail, Google Talk Service and Market
    6. Reboot Device

Initial Froyo ROM - 0.4

Based on Li0nHeart's wopad Froyo ROM (Thanks!)

NOTE: Flash does not work!

Summary of Changes:
    Added sensors, fixed rotation
    Added Market Fix
    Added adbWireless
    Added Titanium Backup
    Update Market to 2.3.3

You must use BatchUpgrader with this ROM
    -Market should fill with apps after a reboot or 2

http://goo.gl/ObqJ6

Donate
    I just put the pieces together, but credits go to the following list (updated as I add pieces)

naobsd the credit for making Rockchip RK2818 firmwares possible.
    http://sites.google.com/site/naobsd/android-tablet/apad-irobot
    http://twitter.com/naobsd

Archos fans for the the documentation I used to root the device
    http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Dump_your_Home_Tablet_rom_and_create_a_custom_rom

xaueious for the original aufs.ko
    its a 7zip file heres one that's not zipped http://megaupload.com/?d=RV84C5SC rls3 there was a problem with the wifi but this is the one they have every thing working also look for a browser called skyfire thats the one i live by.
    Everything installed fine, but when I went to wireless & networks I get an error reading "

The application Settings (process com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

It asks for force close.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

Tom
    Thanx man, it Must be a Different Version from my Current! Thanx Again...

I just Tried to Rename it Update.img but it Said Invalid Update, the Download is also Only 104k Whats up with that?

Any other Download sites? That one I Dont think is Right...

I rooted my device to a 4.3 when I try to access the marketplace it goes to through the set up and says "This could be a temporary problem your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it is continued call customer care" I bought this for my younger kids, I'm hoping to get this working for them for Christmas! Please help!

Guys, as I've said earlier I flashed this rooted ROM - Android 2.2 . It's all good. You must flash this ROM through Batch Upgrader. Download it and run...better if you watch Youtube how to root Craig Tablet, but do the same for the file, which you already downloaded.
    It's easy. :)

---------- Post added at 09:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

Also One More Question, there's Currently No Recovery Available for our Tablet is there?

Nope, unfortunately, no recoveries. :(