[Q] Alternative way to go into recovery

Search This thread

killswitch70

Jul 22, 2012
Manila
My power button suddenly stop responding. I can tell cause when I'm using volume wake, everything's working fine. The problem is I can't proceed to recovery considering the power button is the only way to activate it. Am I wrong? Is there another way? Wanna restore to a previous ROM backup, just to be sure I didn't hit a wall with my current ROM. Any thoughts guys? Wanna be sure before I have my phone opened up. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also used fastboot to reboot my phone but it says my phone is offline. Which led me to believe there is more to it than a hardware issue on my phone.

Last edited:

killswitch70

Jul 22, 2012
Manila
My power button suddenly stop responding. I can tell cause when I'm using volume wake, everything's working fine. The problem is I can't proceed to recovery considering the power button is the only way to activate it. Am I wrong? Is there another way? Wanna restore to a previous ROM backup, just to be sure I didn't hit a wall with my current ROM. Any thoughts guys? Wanna be sure before I have my phone opened up. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention, I also used fastboot to reboot my phone but it says my phone is offline. Which led me to believe there is more to it than a hardware issue on my phone.

Update: I finally restored my backup using ROM manager and finally get into recovery using the search button as an altrenate for the power button. It looks like my power button is really broken. Will be using volume wake atm. My only concern now is how to get my phone online at fastboot. :-/

Last edited:

samcortez

Dec 11, 2011
Curitiba
You can go to fastboot or recovery using some apps, like one called for CWM Manager. Or even use a command line in ADB.

polobunny

Oct 25, 2011
Montreal
You can't get fastboot because when the power button breaks it's like if the power button was stuck to ON. That glitches fastboot and you can't scroll to select recovery or anything of the sort.

killswitch70

Jul 22, 2012
Manila
Alternative way to go into recovery

Sorry for the late reply guys. I just had my power button replaced, was so busy crack-flashing when 4.2.2 arrived that I failed to come back and thank you all for all your inputs. Appreciate it! Now my only problem is that my phone won't go online using ADB. Well as long as I could go into recovery within the phone using my power button.. I'll concern myself with that in the future. Thanks again guys!

raducux

Dec 14, 2010
Samsung Gear S3
Samsung Galaxy Tab S3
Sorry for the late reply guys. I just had my power button replaced, was so busy crack-flashing when 4.2.2 arrived that I failed to come back and thank you all for all your inputs. Appreciate it! Now my only problem is that my phone won't go online using ADB. Well as long as I could go into recovery within the phone using my power button.. I'll concern myself with that in the future. Thanks again guys!

Try flashing a factory image in fastboot. It might clear out some issues..maybe relock and unlock bootloader too after backing up your data if there is time for this operation .
I do it from time to time.

Sent from my Nexus S using xda app-developers app