ElectricSleep - Smart Alarm & Sleep Analysis

Search This thread

perosredo

Jan 25, 2011
Aides... like images explaining calibration? or do you mean a beep or something when you go over the white line?

No; just text walking me through the process on the rolling-graph screen itself.

EDIT: I was very interested in using the app--I'm not a morning person--but the calibration was more mental effort than I was willing to invest: you present a lot of information on the pages preceding the rolling-graph. Just my 2 cents, but I feel like a polished app should have a more welcoming user experience, and it does feel very polished otherwise. Food for thought?

Last edited:

firehazard159

Aug 21, 2010
Definitely thanks, for making this app and bringing it to light via the front page :D I always wanted to try those watches that had a similar function, now I can!

Aztriltus

May 5, 2010
Aides... like images explaining calibration? or do you mean a beep or something when you go over the white line?

Let me get this straight: you WANT the app to wake you up throughout a sleep, whenever you are in light sleep? If so, I can't help but wonder why...! Yes, the graph should be something like a couple green spikes that are near each other when you are in lighter sleep.
Of course not all the time I'm in light sleep. But when do they actually alarm? Only when I've set my alarm? And what if during the alarm that I've set isn't during my light sleep? Hmm... Still can't get it.. Nevertheless, it's a great app.

AndyCr15

Apr 27, 2005
London, UK
www.lanarchy.co.uk
It's really quite simple. You set your alarm, lets say 6:30am. You set the lead time, lets say 30 minutes.

From 6am to 6:30am if you enter light sleep, it sets the alarm off.

If it gets to 6:30am, it just sets the alarm off as normal.

LuccoJ

Aug 6, 2010
I have followed the beta phase of this app, although I haven't really used it a lot (always plan to, but then decide I don't want to be waken up :p).

There's something that differentiates this app from other similar apps (aside from this one being open source software! cheers for that): instead of automatically training itself, it must be set up manually.

Now, I understand why you went from semi-automated setup to manual: letting the user move for a bunch of seconds is prone to error, and it's better done with some supervision.

But... why doesn't the app adjust itself during the whole night in the first place? I believe that's what the other apps do, one way or the other.
Obviously I don't know the details, but I assume that they take the mean and variance of accelerometer values over the night, and then when the values are above a couple of sigma, that's taken as "movement", and the alarm is sounded.

Couldn't this be included in your app, to make its usage easier? Or is there a particular reason why you ruled this out?

jondwillis

Dec 12, 2010
It's really quite simple. You set your alarm, lets say 6:30am. You set the lead time, lets say 30 minutes.

From 6am to 6:30am if you enter light sleep, it sets the alarm off.

If it gets to 6:30am, it just sets the alarm off as normal.

^ this

HOw is the battery consumption of this app?

I find that when I run off of battery on my Droid X (Liberty 1.5 with underclocking to 300 MHz, low voltage, performance tweaks, and airplane mode), ElectricSleep only uses 5-15% of my battery through 8 hours. I have gotten a OG Motorola Droid on running an old Android 2.1 ROM (for testing purposes) to last about 8-10 hours with 'Force Screen On' enabled.

I have followed the beta phase of this app, although I haven't really used it a lot (always plan to, but then decide I don't want to be waken up :p).

There's something that differentiates this app from other similar apps (aside from this one being open source software! cheers for that): instead of automatically training itself, it must be set up manually.

Now, I understand why you went from semi-automated setup to manual: letting the user move for a bunch of seconds is prone to error, and it's better done with some supervision.

But... why doesn't the app adjust itself during the whole night in the first place? I believe that's what the other apps do, one way or the other.
Obviously I don't know the details, but I assume that they take the mean and variance of accelerometer values over the night, and then when the values are above a couple of sigma, that's taken as "movement", and the alarm is sounded.

Couldn't this be included in your app, to make its usage easier? Or is there a particular reason why you ruled this out?

Thanks... I don't think it would be too hard to concoct an algorithm that auto-adjusts the accelerometer sensitivity during sleep. I will still need to do a bugcheck for phones that turn their accelerometers off when their screens turn off, though.

Last edited:

Andr3wD

Nov 6, 2010
Atlanta
No; just text walking me through the process on the rolling-graph screen itself.

EDIT: I was very interested in using the app--I'm not a morning person--but the calibration was more mental effort than I was willing to invest: you present a lot of information on the pages preceding the rolling-graph. Just my 2 cents, but I feel like a polished app should have a more welcoming user experience, and it does feel very polished otherwise. Food for thought?

I had no problem calibrating it last night. It was very simple to understand :).

I used it last night, and I thought it was interesting. I just don't know what to do with the data to improve my sleep.

Also, it said the Evo didn't support the app working with the screen off. So the screen stays dim all night, will this negatively affect my phone somehow?

jondwillis

Dec 12, 2010
I had no problem calibrating it last night. It was very simple to understand :).

I used it last night, and I thought it was interesting. I just don't know what to do with the data to improve my sleep.

Also, it said the Evo didn't support the app working with the screen off. So the screen stays dim all night, will this negatively affect my phone somehow?

If your Evo doesn't get too hot, then no, there's no downside, apart from using more battery than usual. Try recording a bit after turning 'Force screen on' off. It could be that I falsely detected that your Evo doesn't send accelerometer data while the screen is off.

thistimearound

Sep 11, 2010
So, not to be a douche, but what specifically does this app do that Sleep as an Droid and SleepBot don't? I'm not against using it, but those apps aren't in beta stages... you know?

hgrimberg

Nov 10, 2008
BA
www.grimbergarchitecture.com
Comparison with the app Sleep as an Droid

What is the difference between this app and the one called Sleep as an Droid? I mean, apart from the fact that this app has a much nicer look, better UI design.
It must be interesting to compare the graphs that both apps do at the same time and how sensitive both apps are.

rodak

Apr 8, 2010
Landskrona
Thanks for this great app.
I have only tested it for one night and I see great potential.
Will definitely donate after some more testing.

So here is my feedback:
Phone: x10i
Rom: FreeX10 Froyo beta4
Battery: 100%
Charger unplugged.
Data connection off.
Sensor works with screen off.
Airplane mode off.

Battery after 6,5h of sleep: 78%

Alarm set to 06.15 and "Pre-Alarm windows" set to 30 minutes.
My alarm went off 05.49 and I must say that I felt a lot more refreshed.

Only problem I had was that my alarm only vibrated.
I had the option "Silent Mode sleep" enabled and didn't think that this will effect the alarm volume.
So is this something that you can fix? I would love if my phone went auto silent when i press "Sleep" but I still want my alarm to ring.

Attachments

• snap20110223_080253.jpg
    snap20110223_080253.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 121
  • snap20110223_075945.jpg
    snap20110223_075945.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 99

weiry

Apr 22, 2010
Norwich
Let me get this straight: you WANT the app to wake you up throughout a sleep said:
No I think it means it looks to see what time you alarm is set for ands if you enter a light sleep state a little while before your alarm goes off it will wake you then rather than allowing you to go into a deep sleep state.

Thanks I will try it tonight :p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys,

In an effort to spread its popularity, I though I would share my open-source app, ElectricSleep here. It has been in beta for a couple months and is starting to get pretty stable and more and more feature rich.

==boilerplate from market:
    Improve the quality of your sleep with this smart alarm clock.
    ElectricSleep is an alarm clock that records your sleep cycles and wakes you up gently during a light sleep cycle. The sleep data it records is saved and analyzed so that you can understand and improve upon your sleeping habits.

Please donate to support development!

Features:
    • records and saves your sleep cycle data.
    • alarm clock gently wakes you during light sleep.
    • analyzes sleep trends (debt, quality, duration, etc.)

Market link:
    https://market.android.com/details?id=com.androsz.electricsleepbeta

Manual download:
    http://code.google.com/p/electricsleep/downloads/list

SS:
    attachment.php
    Could you explain how this works/the science behind it etc?
    I have high battery drain (30-35%) with the other Sensor Delay setting as well :(

It has got to be something specific to your phone... hardware or software, dunno. Have you tried going into airplane mode?