[Q] Help! Root Issues! Expertise Needed!

Search This thread

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
I recently rooted my phone, Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, and I edited the build.prop folder to get soft keys on my device. After I restarted my phone, the wallpaper changed to all black and about every 5 seconds I would get a message saying "Unfortunately, System UI has Stopped" so then I Un-rooted my phone through SuperSU and i still ended up getting the same problem. So then I decided to Factory Reset my phone, and afterwards the problem still didnt go away, I still got the same annoying message. I don't know what to do, please help ASAP, Thanks.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Rooting wasn't the problem, it was the edit.. So you can either edit the build prop back to what it was, or restore to stock/reflash your ROM

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ratleme and bkboss1

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I recently rooted my phone, Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, and I edited the build.prop folder to get soft keys on my device. After I restarted my phone, the wallpaper changed to all black and about every 5 seconds I would get a message saying "Unfortunately, System UI has Stopped" so then I Un-rooted my phone through SuperSU and i still ended up getting the same problem. So then I decided to Factory Reset my phone, and afterwards the problem still didnt go away, I still got the same annoying message. I don't know what to do, please help ASAP, Thanks.

That build.prop edit doesn't work on TouchWiz. From my research I saw that Sammy gutted the framework for the soft keys, so enabling them on TW causes nothing but problems. AOSP is the only way to have the real-deal soft keys.. you can use LMT on TouchWiz, although, to me, the whole pie thing is clunky compared to having dedicated soft keys.

Reactions: bkboss1

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
Rooting wasn't the problem, it was the edit.. So you can either edit the build prop back to what it was, or restore to stock/reflash your ROM

I can't edit the build prop anymore, because I'm un-rooted now. Are you sure that restoring to stock ROM would make the problem go away, and if so, how would I be able to restore to Stock ROM? I have no idea how to do that, Thanks

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
I can't edit the build prop anymore, because I'm un-rooted now. Are you sure that restoring to stock ROM would make the problem go away, and if so, how would I be able to restore to Stock ROM? I have no idea how to do that, Thanks

Yes if you flash the stock ROM you'll get the original unedited buildprop.
If you made a nandroid backup, restore it(nandroid backup saves headaches :D ) If not you need to use Odin to flash the original firmware. What firmware are you on, mdl (4.2.2) or mk2(4.3)?

☞ Sent from here☜

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
If you made a nandroid backup, restore it(nandroid backup saves headaches :D ) If not you need to use Odin to flash the original firmware. What firmware are you on, mdl (4.2.2) or mk2(4.3)?

☞ Sent from here☜

I'm on 4.3, and how would I use Odin to flash the original firmware and what version of Odin?

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
You can't edit build.prop because you're unrooted.... couldn't you just re-root, edit build.prop, then unroot again if you just didn't want root?

When I was rooted, I tried to edit the build prop, but every time I tried to open the build prop folder to delete my adjustments, My phone would just keep on crashing, saying that the System UI has stopped working, So then I just un-rooted, hoping the problem would go away, but it didn't.

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
When I was rooted, I tried to edit the build prop, but every time I tried to open the build prop folder to delete my adjustments, My phone would just keep on crashing, saying that the System UI has stopped working, So then I just un-rooted, hoping the problem would go away, but it didn't.

I'd think that you could use adb to pull the build.prop, edit on your computer, then push the build.prop back... I mean, doing a restore would work, but I'm thinking of how to not lose your data.

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
I'd think that you could use adb to pull the build.prop, edit on your computer, then push the build.prop back... I mean, doing a restore would work, but I'm thinking of how to not lose your data.

What exactly do you mean by restore? I already factory resetted my phone. I don't really care about losing my data.

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Okay, So how exactly would I do that? I'm pretty new to these kind of things.

Go to sammobile.com to find the M919 UVUEMK2 firmware.

Follow this thread. It's for returning to 4.2.2, but the premise is the exact same for restoring official 4.3 as well. Just use the newest version of Odin and instead of flashing the UVUAMDL tar, use the one you just downloaded from sammobile.

bkboss1

Feb 9, 2014
Go to sammobile.com to find the M919 UVUEMK2 firmware.

Follow this thread. It's for returning to 4.2.2, but the premise is the exact same for restoring official 4.3 as well. Just use the newest version of Odin and instead of flashing the UVUAMDL tar, use the one you just downloaded from sammobile.

Okay, I'm in the process of downloading the firmware. I also had another question. When I go to my phone's software update to check, for an update it says "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" and the device status is "Custom" even though I'm not rooted anymore and If I flash the original stock ROM, will this go away, and return to its normal state?

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Okay, I'm in the process of downloading the firmware. I also had another question. When I go to my phone's software update to check, for an update it says "Your device has been modified. Software updates are not available" and the device status is "Custom" even though I'm not rooted anymore and If I flash the original stock ROM, will this go away, and return to its normal state?

On that note, I don't know for 100% certain but I do believe that will stay. Perhaps someone else can confirm if Triangle Away will at least remove that aspect on 4.3; I know it won't touch your KNOX counter but I'm uncertain if it does anything for your flash counter.

All that device status: Custom means, aside from warranty being void is you can't update via Kies or OTA; but you can still update (when an update is released) by downloading the firmware and flashing via Odin OR using a custom recovery and a flashable zip.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston

Its still on modified because you altered system files.. Once you restore it should go back to normal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That build.prop edit doesn't work on TouchWiz. From my research I saw that Sammy gutted the framework for the soft keys, so enabling them on TW causes nothing but problems. AOSP is the only way to have the real-deal soft keys.. you can use LMT on TouchWiz, although, to me, the whole pie thing is clunky compared to having dedicated soft keys.

☞ Sent from here☜
    You can't edit build.prop because you're unrooted.... couldn't you just re-root, edit build.prop, then unroot again if you just didn't want root?