External Battery charger for TG01??

Search This thread

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
As per the thread title, I am looking for a battery charger for the TG01. I need one that will simply charge the battery (will need also a spare battery) - and just swap out the batteries as I go. I can't work with an external charger that connects via micro-usb (as I'm having issues with the micro-usb port and can't charge the phone! Therefore need another means of charging ASAP - and will come back and look at how to tackle fixing the micro-usb port at a later stage).

Anyone know where I can get such a thing???

Struggling to do so - so far in my www search....

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
@Scougar: Yes - I managed to get one in the end - off ebay. Hopefully it will arrive before the week is out - as I'm currently phone less!

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
Not good! Mine arrived today btw... Annoyingly no instructions on what the LED colours mean on it, or which terminal is positive and which negative.

btw.. mine says 850ma on it, so not the full 1000ma, but I can live with that.

MIKEs84

Apr 4, 2010
I bought this on eBay - can´t paste the link here - look for - 1500mah Micro USB Back up Battery Charger + Cable for Toshiba TG01 TG 01

I am very satisfied when need to power battery out not having power adaptor. However I have totally 3 batteries and purchased also the solar power adaptor with internal battery.

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
Mine arrived today btw... Annoyingly no instructions on what the LED colours mean on it, or which terminal is positive and which negative
I had the same problem re. instructions - but have got the hang of it. However, it's not a sufficient solution for me. It seems to take an absolute age to power up a battery. I have a spare battery - and even this isn't going to be enough.
I guess it's because of the way I use the phone - with connection to usb keyboard - to write emails...even though I remove the cable the moment the email has been written, it absolutely drains battery resources - RAPID!

I will have to try and get the micro-usb port fixed somehow. I've contacted toshiba to see if - first of all there is any warranty cover on the phone (i bought it off ebay - so not sure if covered or not).

Even if not covered, I'm unsure where to send it - or who can really fix this. Does anyone have any ideas? I am based in Ireland. Do Toshiba have a list of approved service centres??

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
You will just need to get a higher 'ma' rated charger then (so battery will charge faster).

BTW.. sounds stupid.. but have you tried another micro usb cable (a proper charging cable, rather than just a regular data transfer micro usb one?)

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
You will just need to get a higher 'ma' rated charger then (so battery will charge faster).
Ok, thanks. IF i have no option but to keep using an external charger, may look at gettting another one.

BTW.. sounds stupid.. but have you tried another micro usb cable (a proper charging cable, rather than just a regular data transfer micro usb one?)
I have tried a number of cables - that had been working at one stage but no longer work. However, they work when it comes to connecting to my usb keyboard.....just not working to charge the phone...

MICRO-USB Repair.
I'm a bit concerned about this - as someone has suggested to me that this can't be repaired - that it's 'terminal'. Can this really be the case????

Seems an awful waste of a phone if that's true....

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
Ok, thanks. IF i have no option but to keep using an external charger, may look at gettting another one.

I have tried a number of cables - that had been working at one stage but no longer work. However, they work when it comes to connecting to my usb keyboard.....just not working to charge the phone...

MICRO-USB Repair.
I'm a bit concerned about this - as someone has suggested to me that this can't be repaired - that it's 'terminal'. Can this really be the case????

Seems an awful waste of a phone if that's true....

I'm not sure what "burn's out", so I wouldn't like to speculate, but the repair of the actual 'port' surely wouldn't be that hard even for an amateur solderer? Maybe it's something in a charging chip that's burnt out? Given that you can pick tg01's up for £50+ (I really am guessing here.. I've been drinking).. it probaly isn't worth the cost of a repair unless you do it yourself.

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
I'm not sure what "burn's out", so I wouldn't like to speculate, but the repair of the actual 'port' surely wouldn't be that hard even for an amateur solderer? Maybe it's something in a charging chip that's burnt out? Given that you can pick tg01's up for £50+ (I really am guessing here.. I've been drinking).. it probaly isn't worth the cost of a repair unless you do it yourself.

The ruddy thing cost me €200 back then....can't remember for sure when -I think 9 months ago. Just checked ebay and they range from €110-€180. Pretty poor form - if they can't do the job for a couple of years at the very least.

Not sure where I stand as regards warranty - still waiting to hear back from toshiba support.

I don't feel that buying another one is the way to go - if they are flawed in this way. Furthermore, it makes me wonder about investing in a good phone - if they all have a point of weakness in terms of the micro-usb slot. Had a quick look at the nokia lumia at one stage last week....but if I'm using that port heavily (which i am - constantly swapping out between cable (for keyboard) and usb power cable....will the same thing happen?

Last edited:

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
If you are worried about over working the port, then just get an extension cable or try using a powered USB hub so you won't be swapping it out so often.

The micro usb port design is probably 'weak' compared to the mini USB port design, but it's what we are pretty much every phone on the market is now using. You could also use a USB keyboard.

I would only have considered about £75 for my phone (MODS: I can't sell it , I've bricked it... or as I like to say "I'm between operating systems at the moment" ;-) ) Point is, you can probably get one cheaper than you are seeing on ebay.

I think you are either better off with another phone, or getting a bigger battery, they question is whether you want to invest in the TG01 anymore, or get something else.

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
If you are worried about over working the port, then just get an extension cable or try using a powered USB hub so you won't be swapping it out so often.
How can I use the powered usb hub exactly? I can plug the usb keyboard into it -then run a usb cable between the hub and the usb to micro-usb adaptor that then connects to the phone...is that correct?

The micro usb port design is probably 'weak' compared to the mini USB port design, but it's what we are pretty much every phone on the market is now using. You could also use a USB keyboard.
This is what is also dampening down my enthusiasm for investing in another phone. It's a situational thing - and I don't really have any other option but to use a usb keyboard (I can't connect via bluetooth).
I would only have considered about £75 for my phone (MODS: I can't sell it , I've bricked it... or as I like to say "I'm between operating systems at the moment" ;-) ) Point is, you can probably get one cheaper than you are seeing on ebay.
That's a savage rate of depreciation!
I think you are either better off with another phone, or getting a bigger battery, they question is whether you want to invest in the TG01 anymore, or get something else.
As regards moving on to a new unit, I don't really want to go down this road for two reasons;
1. I don't think I have got my money's worth out of the spend on the TG01 - and while the work arounds are far from ideal - I am otherwise happy with the phone in principal
2. I fear making another big investment - only for the same thing to happen again (given that I will continue to use micro-usb port heavily

A bigger battery - I don't think is a possibility?? I know there was one oversized battery on the market for that phone - but it came with a new back cover for the phone also - as it was thicker than normal. It was expensive - and it's not really the route I wish to take. What I might do - is buy another battery. Then - with 3 batteries on the go - just keep charging them up on rotation at home.

Mickey mouse approach - but I don't see any other feasible way of handling it.

IF I did get another phone, I don't think it would be the TG01. It served its purpose at the time (and It will continue to do so - although more awkward now). However, I don't think this sort of failure should happen - and support should be better. Very hard to get a hold of someone in support - NO support in ROI - and necessary to mail the phone in to their UK service centre. In addition, just discovered that it's out of warranty.

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
There are some internal pictures of the TG01 floating around, it might be worthwhile trying to dig those up, and see if you can get a look at the USB connection points, and see if an amateur repair is possible.

EDIT: If you go to the following thread you will find internal pictures :) It looks to me like the port could be repaired if you have a fine enough soldering iron, or taped it up well enough. (As long as the problem isn't a 'trace' being burnt out... and we assume that the port itself has broken/come loose or needs replacement).

Last edited:

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
Can someone recommend a good quality external charger

Only a couple of weeks - and the external charger I got off ebay seems to be flaking!

Can anyone recommend a GOOD QUALITY external charger that I could order up - that will work well with TG01 batteries??

Scougar

May 22, 2010
USA
Have to say... that one I bought isn't the best quality. connection is 'iffy' now it seems.

Product review: 4/10. d'oh.

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
Have to say... that one I bought isn't the best quality. connection is 'iffy' now it seems.

Product review: 4/10. d'oh.
I;ve been trawling the net - but they all seem the ruddy same! What would you buy if you had to go again?
Right now - at this moment - the charger is working again - but I spent half the day trying to get it to work up until now! I don't have great faith in it - and if it goes, I'm sans phone once again.

If I could get a reliable charger, I would be fairly happy. I've got into the routine of charging alternate batteries - so that system works (so I can squeeze the outlay on the phone back out of it - before I go and upgrade at a later stage).

borderfox

Apr 8, 2011
The only other type of external charger I could find was this.

So....i've ordered one up....will post back whether it actually does the job or is another piece of sh1t!

tcampomanes

Mar 9, 2010
Delighted to hear that. Hopefully this will provide the ultimate solution for my TG01 - and I can go on and use it for the next 12 months and get my $$ back out of it!

when I bought the charger the seller sent me this message:

Dear friend:
Do you know how to use the charger?
I'm sorry I don't have technical info in English.
How to use?
1/ without power put the battery in the charger, you can 360 rotation
the charger to fit your battery (no matter your battery is big or
small.)------------------- if the battery put well in the charger, the
light will go on blue.
the charger can Automatic detection of positive "+" and negative "-", so

just connect the "two pin" with "+" "-" of the battery.

2/ with power,(connect it with power)
Charging--------the light is red
Full charge-----the light is blue
--
When you receive the charger, if have any problem about "how to use" or
other problem please contact me and I will reply within 24 hours.
Thank you.

the seller was very helpful and sent to Spain was fast, 10 to 14 days.

Top Liked Posts