Root for ICS TPT! This time the REAL thing!

Search This thread

emuandco

Hey guys, I have good news for you all. I sat down these days and tried all kinds of exploits and one, normally for the Asus Transformer Prime really works!

Debugfs automated root from sparkym3 provided me full root access to my device. Its simple to use and does all stuff automatic :D

So it enables Users of the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet to finally root their device, even if you had it updated to ICS. As you all know, this was not possible before, but after I ran through almost all exploits running anywhere for ICS, I found this one working like a charm. :D

Have fun!

WARNING!
If you dont know the slightest bit of Windows or Linux shell and never did more than USE the device, be warned... If you kill it, its dead!

Last edited:

kingOfTheLab

Feb 6, 2011
This is wonderful news, a friend of mine recently lost root after he had to send his TPT in for repair and got a new board already updated to ICS.

pwstein

Oct 14, 2011
FANTASTIC - worked on UK running OTA 3.5

Booyah! Thanks Emuandco for your diligence!

wiffeltje

May 24, 2009
Thanks a lot :good: :good: :good:

I just rooted my ThinkPad (WE version). Works like a charm.

sean5217

Jul 20, 2012
Hey guys, I have good news for you all. I sat down these days and tried all kinds of exploits and one, normally for the Asus Transformer Prime really works!

Debugfs automated root from sparkym3 provided me full root access to my device. Its simple to use and does all stuff automatic :D

So it enables Users of the Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet to finally root their device, even if you had it updated to ICS. As you all know, this was not possible before, but after I ran through almost all exploits running anywhere for ICS, I found this one working like a charm. :D

Have fun!

wonderful!!!

Thanks a lot!!!

Just tried and it worked!!!

lachoneus

Aug 31, 2012
www.williamthorup.com
Stylus and Pressure Sensitivity

Been waiting a long time for this. I had one question that I can't seem to find the answer to. I use my TPT for sketching, allot, it's why I bought the tablet. I was wondering, if I root and then upgrade to Jelly Bean, will I lose stylus and pressure sensitivity?

TimRiker

Aug 26, 2007
rikers.org
Can someone post the steps to get this working starting from a clean OTA 4.0.3 rom? I just started messing with the TPT. What boot options are there? I see the hold-down-rotate-and-power boot which looks like what is needed for nvflash, but I can't seem to get any other bootloaders booting here. The debugfs script seems to want to talk to a recovery boot, yes? How do I boot into recovery mode?

Sorry for the TPT newbie questions. Is there a wiki someplace with all the boot modes and other info?

emuandco

First, load this one: LINK

Its the Driver needed for the TPT to communicate with the PC over ADB protocol.

Go to your TPT Settings below inside Developer Options and check USB Debugging. Attach to your PC and hand the new unknown Device in Device manager the loaded ADB Driver. Then download and unzip everything from the Exploit into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory. This should do it for the rooting of the Stock Firmware. You can verify it by getting "Root Checker" from Play Store. If its green, next load this one: LINK and this one LINK. Its the ClockWorkMod aka modded Recovery Mode making it possible to flash unsigned Updates and making nice Full Backups and the JB Firmware itself.

Install this way from a windows console bein inside the folder where the adb.exe from the exploit is, Step one is making a backup of your previous Recovery Mode for future reverting if you want to do so. Step two is the actual install. You need to copy the loaded recovery.img from the CWM thread to the SD in your TPT, same goes for the JB ZIP File and maybe the 3G Patch for the 3G Card you might have.

BE SURE ALL FILES ARE COPIED ON THE SD AND ITS INSIDE THE TPT AGAIN!

Code:
adb shell
su
dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/external_sd/orig_recovery.img
mount -o rw,remount /system
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
dd if=/mnt/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
exit
exit

This should be enough. Now reboot and while the Lenovo mini Logo shows up, push Vol UP rapidly. This should boot up CWM6, our modded recover Mode. Here Vol UP is upwards, Vol DOWN is downwards and ON/OFF is Enter. First thing, DO A FULL BACKUP TO EXTERNAL SD in "backup and restore", "backup" !!! Then let it do a "wipe data/factory reset", then select "install zip from sdcard" and in there "choose zip from external sdcard". Choose the CM10 JB ZIP first, then the 3G Patch for your Card.

Reboot and youre done.

Last edited:

yankies77

Jun 12, 2010
Lahore
i have updated to the latest ota and i am not rooted.. A400_03_0070_0132_US
when i run it and choose option 1 the window automatically closes after like 2 seconds
am i supposed to use the asus drivers or what? if anyone can please help...

pwstein

Oct 14, 2011
Yankies77 - right click on RootDebugfs.bat and choose 'Run as Administrator'

You may get a different result.

yankies77

Jun 12, 2010
Lahore
Yankies77 - right click on RootDebugfs.bat and choose 'Run as Administrator'

You may get a different result.

I have already tried that doesn't work. when in cmd i write adb devices it shows the device is connected
i have put it to transfer files and MTP settings with unknown sources and debugging on ..when i run the .bat file
after the *demon started successfully* it suddenly closes after which nothing happens..what do you think is wrong?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have fun!

WARNING!
    If you dont know the slightest bit of Windows or Linux shell and never did more than USE the device, be warned... If you kill it, its dead!
    Summary of how to acquire ROOT

Below is an aggregation of the information that you can find elsewhere. More convenient for newbies like me.

Note: the following only applies to the TPT that currently run ICS 4.0.3 ; i.e.ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_007_132_US (or UK, ROW, etc). See under "Setting:About tablet" for your version.

(1) Neither ADB nor the SDK need to be installed as all needed files are included in the attachments below. It won't hurt anything if ADB & SDK are already installed; however, make sure no other adb.exe is accessible through the system path (see below howto).

(2) Install proper Levovo ADB Interface driver on your PC.
    HowTo: "A-TPT ADB setup info.pdf".
    Use file: adb_driver_20110720.zip

(3) Just download and unzip the following zip file into a "working directory of your choice" on your PC;
    File: DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3.zip

(4) Then on your TPT, go to Setting and enable the following options:
    a) Developer option: USB debugging: enable
    b) Security: Device administration: Allow installation of non-Market apps: Unknown sources: enable
    c) Storage: {upper right corner tab}: USB Connection: Micro USB - Transfer files: enable & Connect as MTP (Media device): enable

(5) Connect your TPT to your PC and make sure no other Android device is connected to your PC

(6) At the command line of your PC,
    a) type "cd {working directory that you choose above}"; then,
    b) type "where adb.exe" to make sure it is the adb.exe from the working directory that will be run and not another one accessible through the system path; then
    c) run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory;

(7) once script complete with success; then, on your TPT
    a) install "BusyBox"
    b) install package "superuser" (author: ChainsDD) and run once
    c) may need to reboot at least once, maybe twise
    d) install RootCherker and run once
    e) (optional but recommanded) install "Voodoo OTA RootKeeper" and run once

Done!

I thank everyone that contributed information.
    Please donate to those who did the hard work; perhaps: sparkym3; miloj; etc.
    First, load this one: LINK

Its the Driver needed for the TPT to communicate with the PC over ADB protocol.

Go to your TPT Settings below inside Developer Options and check USB Debugging. Attach to your PC and hand the new unknown Device in Device manager the loaded ADB Driver. Then download and unzip everything from the Exploit into a directory; then run RootDebugfs.bat from that directory. This should do it for the rooting of the Stock Firmware. You can verify it by getting "Root Checker" from Play Store. If its green, next load this one: LINK and this one LINK. Its the ClockWorkMod aka modded Recovery Mode making it possible to flash unsigned Updates and making nice Full Backups and the JB Firmware itself.

Install this way from a windows console bein inside the folder where the adb.exe from the exploit is, Step one is making a backup of your previous Recovery Mode for future reverting if you want to do so. Step two is the actual install. You need to copy the loaded recovery.img from the CWM thread to the SD in your TPT, same goes for the JB ZIP File and maybe the 3G Patch for the 3G Card you might have.

BE SURE ALL FILES ARE COPIED ON THE SD AND ITS INSIDE THE TPT AGAIN!

Code:
    adb shell
    su
    dd if=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1 of=/mnt/external_sd/orig_recovery.img
    mount -o rw,remount /system
    mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.backup
    dd if=/mnt/external_sd/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p1
    exit
    exit

This should be enough. Now reboot and while the Lenovo mini Logo shows up, push Vol UP rapidly. This should boot up CWM6, our modded recover Mode. Here Vol UP is upwards, Vol DOWN is downwards and ON/OFF is Enter. First thing, DO A FULL BACKUP TO EXTERNAL SD in "backup and restore", "backup" !!! Then let it do a "wipe data/factory reset", then select "install zip from sdcard" and in there "choose zip from external sdcard". Choose the CM10 JB ZIP first, then the 3G Patch for your Card.

Reboot and youre done.

I confirm it works perfectly. ICS TPT _A400_03_0070_0132_US :good:
    after some trouble installing the adb drivers it worked fine on my WE tablet..finally, awesome, thanks :D
    Hi, can I have a link to those drivers? Having some trouble figuring out which ones are ok to use. I also got A400 WE and i'm at wit's end.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

I just revived my Thinkpad recently and wanted to root it. I was not able to get the script to properly root my tablet so I figured I would share the process and steps outlined in the script that I ran manually.

First you need to determine where your /system is mounted. Do that by running the following
    Code:
    adb kill-server
    adb wait-for-device

adb shell mount
    You are looking for something like this (This is an example, DO NOT COPY THIS YOURS WILL BE DIFFERENT. RUN THE MOUNT COMMAND ABOVE TO DETERMINE YOUR MOUNT LOCATION)
    /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 /system ext4 ro,relatime,user_xattr,acl,barrier=1,data=ordered

For the rest of this replace %MOUNT% with your mount location, see above.

Download and extract the Debugfs automated root zip file mentioned above in the quote.
    From the extracted zip location, run.
    Code:
    adb push debugfs /data/local/
    adb push su /data/local/
    adb push debugfsinput /data/local/
    adb shell mv /data/local/tmp /data/local/tmp.bak
    adb shell ln -s %MOUNT% /data/local/tmp

adb reboot

After the tablet reboots
    Code:
    adb wait-for-device

adb shell chmod 777 /data/local/debugfs
    adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w %MOUNT% < /data/local/debugfsinput"
    adb shell rm /data/local/tmp
    adb shell mv /data/local/tmp.bak /data/local/tmp
    adb shell rm /data/local/su
    adb shell rm /data/local/debugfs
    adb shell rm /data/local/debugfsinput

adb reboot

You should now have root. To check for root you can open an adb shell and type the su command.
    Code:
    adb wait-for-device
    adb shell
    su
    You should start out with a shell that ends in a '$'. After running the su command you should have a shell that ends in '#'. If you do, congrats you are rooted.

Install the super user app and you are done.
    Code:
    adb install Superuser.apk

I get the following error when trying to run
    Code:
    adb shell "/data/local/debugfs -w /dev/block/mmcblk0p3 < /dat
    a/local/debugfsinput"

debugfs 1.42 (29-Nov-2011)
    debugfs: rm: File not found by ext2_lookup while trying to resolve filename
    debugfs:
    debugfs: debugfs: Allocated inode: 1164
    debugfs: debugfs: debugfs: debugfs:

I'm on a ThinkPadTablet_A400_03_0070_0132_ROW version (latest stock it had on it) and want to install CM10 badly but can't get root.
    Any ideas?

Think I need a different debugfs version? Recommended download location? Also, is it important which drivers I'm using? Got a download link in any case?