How-To Adblock Without Rooting (mobile data adblock working)

Search This thread

simacca

Apr 27, 2006
Kent, uk
in this case i would recommend you to use adfree bcoz it allows you to add white/black list host. but it is just for rooted device. if you're on a non-rooted device, i'm afraid adblock-plus is the only one game in town.

Not rooted as don't want to lose warranty. May change my mind down the line. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

alias_neo

Jun 9, 2006
London
The issue I'm having with ABP on 4G is that the phone keeps switching back to the built in APN which is not editable, I'm not sure why. Works fine on wifi although it does screw with OPENVPN sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

07blackwater

Jul 16, 2011
Works on Rogers.

Adding the proxy and port to the existing APN stuck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

siroliver0

Mar 2, 2008
Happy days no ads

Ad blocking is not going to work if u have Bandwidth management enabled.
I got mine to work with ad blocker plus or hosts file .no proxy crap needed.
Open Chrome
Touch Chrome menu > Settings > (Advanced) Bandwidth management.
Touch Reduce data usage and slide the switch ON or OFF.

it atomize the data hehehehehe turn it off

YEEESSSSSS i got you

Verizon Galaxy S 5 rooted

Reactions: welshbloke70

ionutmaruta

Sep 19, 2014
Tested on SGS5 G900F (no root) and is working fine with wifi or mobile data.
Remember to reboot your phone after all srttings.

Problems after reboot with Taptalk. It allways crash... close, clear cache and data then is wotkkn fine.

Thanks.

Sensamic

Jul 27, 2010
I keep getting some ads on some websites and apps. Is it normal? On the notification panel I get the message "ads are being blocked on the connection", so I assume adBlock is working...

Xanthales

Jan 20, 2014
I keep getting some ads on some websites and apps. Is it normal? On the notification panel I get the message "ads are being blocked on the connection", so I assume adBlock is working...
Try to set a different filter list in the Adblock options. Maybe there is an additional list for your country.

nabril15

Helo.
I have an ATT LG G2 and I came across this thread. I know it's for the S5, but blocking ads is software-related, so I ask.
I use an app from yahoo, called Yahoo Fantasy sports. In that app, there is a banner of ads that sits smack up top (see screenshot).
I have installed the Min Min guard xposed module, and I see in my hosts file that I have a bunch of hosts with 127.0.0.1.

I added the proxy to my new APN, but I did not install adblock as in the OP since my hosts file appears to be populated correctly.
At present I cannot connect using mobile data to the internet. In Chrome, I am told "unable to connect to the proxy server", and no other apps connect to their servers. I switched back to the original APN, and data works fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? There are plenty of threads stating that it did work.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-10-17-10-16-41.JPG
    Screenshot_2014-10-17-10-16-41.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 918
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I didn't see this readily available and with many people not wanting to root and trip their Knox counter, I thought I'd show you how to get adblocking without root. This will work on both wifi and mobile data.

--First step would be to install Adblock Plus APK. I got mine from: https://adblockplus.org/en/android-install

--After installing, run the app once and activate filtering. It should now be blocking all ads on wifi only. To enable adblock on mobile data you need to add a proxy to your APN.

--Go to system settings>network connections>more networks>mobile networks>access point names. What you need to do now is go to you default APN and copy down all the settings. We only do this because you cannot edit the original APN it seems. Now create a new APN and enter in the copied settings. The only additional settings you add to add to the new APN is:

---Proxy: localhost

---Port: 2020

Make sure you set the new APN you created as active and adblocking should be working! I have done this on my T-mobile S5. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.
    Gonna give this a test.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:51 AM ----------

I had to modify my proxy for wifi and the app seems to be working (I need to find something that has ads, ha)...but I'm unable to modify my AP on my sprint s5.

Yea, I couldnt modify the APN on my S5 either. I just made a new one and copied over the settings.
    Hi guys,

Sometime Adblock Plus crash... quite annoying.

I've decided to root mostly for AdAway ...
    For those of you on Verizon, try Adguard - http://adguard.com/en/welcome.html. I just tried it on my Galaxy S6 on Verizon and it works! You do have to pay for the premium version but I took a chance and it works great!
    Awesome post!!

So tired of trying to read the latest anime when ads pop up to ruin my flow!

You mean manga?