Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

Search This thread

kwerdenker

Apr 1, 2010
Probably the Zooper Forums
Ok later on today I will be splitting up the spreadsheet into multiple sheets (as per request), and I think it's a great idea to do this as it will keep things cleaner. I'm gonna get on this tonight :good:
So I will be spanning the spreadsheet into 3 sheets:

1st for basic RGB / Gamma Control
2nd for Faux's new settings
3rd for Franco's new settings

If you need/want any help with it, just send me a PM. It was my idea after all, so I shouldn't let you do all the work :)

I'm enjoying MatAuc's, line #67 :)

I second that. Very good starting point. If you have problems with screen tint (yellow/blue/etc), try to adjust the RGB values. If the color saturation is a bit to extreme for your taste, take town the amp 0 values.

My current variation is R 250 G 245 B 250 and Amp 0 R 21 G 16 B 21 (everything else copied from MatAuc). For my eyes and on my display, this balances the greys in a more natural tint than the original values from MatAuc. Those tinted the greys pruple and made the colors a bit too oversaturated for my taste.

Last edited:

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Can someone answer a quick question for me, does Franco have amp 0 and amp 1 in his new settings? Almost done editing the spreadsheet..

resynx

Jun 14, 2010
Try these ones.
All 255
Amp0 all 31
Amp1 all 23

Just with trixter.

Good idea. Faux's app uses different terminology than Franco and TKT. Same results though when properly setup. Possibly group TKT with Franco? Their apps are pretty much the same regarding color gamma controls.

My settings:
RGB, 248, 240, 240

Gamma settings:
Whites 50
Blacks 75
Grays 20
Mids 90
Contrast 25
Brightness 4
Saturation 120

Sent from the Nodes of Ranvier

If you need/want any help with it, just send me a PM. It was my idea after all, so I shouldn't let you do all the work :)

I second that. Very good starting point. If you have problems with screen tint (yellow/blue/etc), try to adjust the RGB values. If the color saturation is a bit to extreme for your taste, take town the amp 0 values.

My current variation is R 250 G 245 B 250 and Amp 0 R 21 G 16 B 21 (everything else copied from MatAuc). For my eyes and on my display, this balances the greys in a more natural tint than the original values from MatAuc. Those tinted the greys pruple and made the colors a bit too oversaturated for my taste.

Can someone answer a quick question for me, does Franco have amp 0 and amp 1 in his new settings? Almost done editing the spreadsheet..

Added all :good:
Thanks for the suggestion kwerdenker :highfive: Haha don't worry about it, I've already finished updating it! :victory:

Edit

Update: Because of the growing size of the spreadsheet / the increasing amount of features coming in, I have split the spreadsheet up into 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is Basic, Sheet 2 is Grey / Gradient & Sheet 3 is Gamma. A quick explanation:

Basic - basic RGB values along w/ amp 0 and amp 1
Grey / Gradient - Faux's new settings (grey and gradient scales)
Gamma - Franco's new gamma settings

This will keep the spreadsheet looking more organized instead of having everything crammed into one sheet, enjoy! :cowboy:

Last edited:

cobyman7035

Oct 24, 2012
TORONTO
Try these.

R 175
G 175
B 175

Whites 20
Mids 100
Blacks 255
Contrast 0
Brightness 0
Saturation 200
Grays 0

Screen Brightness 50%

These are not mine but are from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=37917796&postcount=12471

Figured I would post them here for others to see also since francos thread moves fast. Read the post for details.

THC using this now but to be honest every settings I try all look same lol

Google Voice via my r72 NeXus⁴ using XDA Premium

Kel Ghu

Aug 11, 2010
My closest 2.2 settings with faux are, I get R2.1 G2.1 B1.8 with this:
RGB 255
Amp 0 all at 31
Amp 1 all at 0

I get better results with Franco's method, 2.2 RGB:
RGB 255
White 0
Mids 0
Blacks 255
Contrast 255
Brightness 0
Saturation 202
Grays 1

I get the same 2.2 RGB with the following:
RGB 255
Whites 108
Mids 255
Blacks 255
Contrast 255
Brightness 0
Saturation 255
Grays 0

There are endless possibilities to get 2.2 with Franco's method. I use Display Tester.

Dabarr

May 19, 2011
Berlin
AW: Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

Thanks for so many good spreadsheets!

Does someone have the values for moles half breed settings for faux display. This would top everything :D

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda premium

eep2378

Aug 12, 2010
MA
Added all :good:
Thanks for the suggestion kwerdenker :highfive: Haha don't worry about it, I've already finished updating it! :victory:

Edit

Update: Because of the growing size of the spreadsheet / the increasing amount of features coming in, I have split the spreadsheet up into 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is Basic, Sheet 2 is Grey / Gradient & Sheet 3 is Gamma. A quick explanation:

Grey / Gradient - Faux's new settings (grey and gradient scales)
Gamma - Franco's new gamma settings

This will keep the spreadsheet looking more organized instead of having everything crammed into one sheet, enjoy! :cowboy:

Nice job, bro. Quick correction, I'm on trinity kernel with TKT app for gamma control. No worries. :D

Sent from the Nodes of Ranvier

danslecarton

Jan 14, 2013
AW: Nexus 4 Color Settings [spreadsheet]

What's the main difference between faux' and franco's kernel?

jawz101

The first thing I felt I was missing was night mode from CM7. This does it well enough for me RGB "255 125 0".

Night mode is supposed to be easier on the eyes at night (and circadian rhythm, etc.) as we typically get natural blue light from the sun.

These are quick settings I keyed in to get a night mode back. Have it turn off an on at night with Tasker. I'm thinking about making a task that does a fade-in/fade-out action though it's just more cpu cycles.

What presets are you using with this setup?

I don't understand the question. I just changed the rgb settings for this night mode setup and left everything else alone regardless of whatever the rest of my presets may be. The goal is just to drop the blue out but toggle just those back later to whatever they used to be. I'm on Franco kernel updater if that makes a difference

Last edited:

DirkBelig

Jun 10, 2010
Anyone else seeing no gamma amp sliders after updating to 4.2.2? I've tried un/reinstalling FauxClock and I'm looking SOL. Boo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: FauxDisplay (and the spreadsheet) have been updated with new names for the gray scales and gradients. Also, the gradient columns come before the the gray scale columns now so don't get mixed up when inputting values! And when submitting values please go ahead and start putting the gradients first so it's easier to read :)

Hi everyone! I've read that many people have said that they are experiencing a yellow / blue tint on their screens when viewing at certain angles and are attempting to tweak their color settings to improve it. Or you could just be trying to make your screen look sexier in general, what do I know? ;)

Now back in the Galaxy Nexus forums we had a publicly accessible spreadsheet just for different color settings and I thought that we could do the same here. As more kernels come out we will most likely be seeing different color variations with each one so here is where everyone can share their own personal color settings for all to try! :good:
    Also, if you see the bolded line (besides the ones from the devs), those are the settings that I personally use and recommend :cowboy:

Now the spreadsheet is split up into 3 sheets. Sheet 1 is Gamma, Sheet 2 is Gradient / Gray, and Sheet 3 is Basic. A quick explanation:

Gamma - Franco's introduced gamma settings
    Gradient / Gray - Faux's introduced settings (gradients and gray scales)

This will keep the spreadsheet looking more organized instead of having everything crammed into one sheet, enjoy! :laugh:

I'm looking forward to seeing (and trying!) all the different display configurations from everybody! :D:highfive:
    So everyone please feel free to share your colors here :cyclops:

Public Spreadsheet

Apps
    FauxClock
    FauxDisplay
    franco.Kernel updater
    Trinity Kernel Toolbox
    Nexus 4 Display Control
    Trickster MOD Kernel Settings
    Display Tester

Here's the Detailed IPS LCD controls and its relationship to Gamma Grey Scale generation:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/109078966818501160423/posts/JD6uwscqtS8

Here's an explanation of FauxDisplay Settings in chart form.
    Faux,

Thanks for the explanation and chart! The guitar string analogy is an interesting way of visualizing the controls. I took a bit of time to tweak the explanation chart you created to better visualize the regions of influence. Is my new chart correct? Also, I noticed that gradient lower and gradient upper seem to have their labels reversed (functionality is as expected in FauxDsiplay).

On my device, the settings below (in FauxDisplay) produce a perfectly linear white-to-black gradient with punchy colors. The only problems remaining are the crushed whites/blacks in regions 0/7 and overall green tint. I haven't worked on eliminating the green for now, just trying to perfect the gamma gradient.

RGB: 255, 255, 255
    Gamma Amp 0: 31, 31, 31
    Gamma Amp 1: 0, 0, 0
    Grey 08-15: 0,0,0
    Grey 16-23: 0,0,0
    Grey 24-31: 0,0,0
    Grey 32-39: 7,7,7
    Grey 40-47: 7,7,7
    Grey 48-55: 7,7,7
    Grad Lower: 7,7,7
    Grad Upper: 7,7,7
    Grad Top Half 1: 7,7,7
    Grad Top Half 2: 7,7,7
    Grad Mid Point: 7,7,7
    Grad Bottom Half 1: 7,7,7
    Grad Bottom Half 2: 7,7,7

Any thoughts on how to eliminate the crushed whites/blacks in regions 0/7? I've also attached a white-to-black gradient for testing purposes.
    My first decent cal using an iDisplay3 colorimeter and Chromapure calibration software. Done at 50% Brightness with Voodoo screen test patterns. Needs a bit more refinement before it goes in the spreadsheet. Greyscale is good, just a little too much red in the darks. Gamma at 90% is too low, but mostly near 2.2 Gamut is quite near sRGB, but luminosity of primaries is way off. No idea how to fix that with fauxdisplay.
    Anyway, photos and videos still look way way better than stock IMO.

Colour Temp 255 244 228
    GammaAmp0 16 15 16
    GammaAmp 1 20 16 16
    Gamma Fine
    Gray08~15 0 1 2
    Gray16~23 4 4 4
    Gray24~31 4 4 4
    Gray32~39 4 4 4
    Gray40~47 5 5 5
    Gray48~55 6 3 7
    Gamma Grad
    Lower 0 0 0
    Upper 0 0 0
    TopHalf1 7 7 7
    TopHalf2 4 4 4
    MidPoint 2 2 2
    BottmHalf1 3 3 3
    BottmHalf2 1 1 1

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Also shouldn't we be targetting the sRGB gamma with starts at 1 and then rise to about 2.4

The AnandTech review of the iphone 5 is also not clear on this. Apple seem to target a constant gamma. For HDTV / home cinema (Rec 709) I target a constant gamma, but sRGB should be as per the wiki link above. Shouldn't it? Anyone?
    This is a double post from Faux's thread for those who dont follow. Settings for Faux Display. Based on PA Colors.

Always in RGB format.

Color Temp Tab

237, 234, 237

Gamma Amp Tab

Amp 0 26, 26, 31

Amp 1 0, 0, 0

Gamma Fine Tab

Gray 08-15 0, 0, 2
    Gray 16-23 4, 4, 7
    Gray 24-31 4, 4, 5
    Gray 32- 39 4, 4, 1
    Gray 40-47 6, 6, 6
    Gray 48-55 7, 7, 7

Gamma Grad Tab

Grad Lower 0, 0, 0
    Grad Upper 0, 0, 0
    Grad Top Half 0, 0, 0
    Grad Top Half 2 4, 4, 5
    Grad Mid Point 2, 2, 2
    Grad Lower Half 0, 0, 0
    Grad Lower Half2 2, 2, 3

Sorry for format, forum boards dont like extra spacing.

And coincidentally @cpufreak3, these do remind me a lot of my Gnex. The boldness of the colors with more precision.
    I've played a bit with my Nexus and my color calibration tool and I found these settings :

Screen luminosity : 25% = 120cd/m2 (recommanded settings for photograph monitor)

LG Presets = Best preset (Google one is definitly very bad, I'm unable to do anything with it)

Red : 248 Green : 240 Blue : 240 = 6500K (recommanded settings for photograph monitor, means a perfect white)

Red Amp 0 : 23 Green Amp 0 : 22 Blue Amp 0 : 22 Red Amp 1 : 7 Green Amp 1 : 7 Blue Amp 1 : 7 = Grey : 2.3 Red : 2.1 Green : 2.1 Blue : 2.0 Yellow : 2.2 Cyan : 2.1 Magenta : 2.1

I don't think I can do anything better (I've played about 3 hours with these settings, my mind is a little bit f***** :D)