[Q] I'm stuck on a boat without paddles!

Search This thread

Senorcat7

Apr 25, 2014
I WANT TO START OFF BY SAYING THAT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I HAVE MADE A THREAD ON THIS SITE.
I FEEL MY ISSUE IS UNIQUE AND ALL HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED. THANK YOU

The tablet that I am dealing with is a "Cruz Velocity Mini Tablet" running android 2.0 and no means of installing apk's.
Currently this is the situation:
A friend of mine lent me her Chinese reader tablet.
I told her that I could probably flash a newer version of Android on it, thinking that I could finally try my hand at making a ROM because I know for a fact that there aren't many ROMs if any at all out there for a chinese off brand reader like this.

After rooting the tablet I deleted the pre installed bloatware via ADB commands (shell) including a file manager (Astro) that I believe was the only way that you could browse files on the tablet, as well as some other pre installed applications that must have been necessary in retrospect. There is no existing vending capability or market application.
I am looking to make a custom ROM (Using android Kitchen and Cywign) through following this tutorial by lokeshsaini94 yet I feel like following that tutorial won't even get me where I need to be.

Things that I have tried at this point include:
  • Attempting to connect the tablet to my computer with the SD inserted (with and without debugging turned on) [Failed to show up on my computer as a device or anything]
  • Downloading the APK that I need from a file sharing website [Downloads fail]
  • Uploading the APK that I need to my Google drive and downloading it from the tablet [Says waiting for data connection and doesn't download even though connected to our WiFi]
  • Inserting the SD card into my computer, copying the APK I need over to it, then inserting the SD card back into the tablet, going into the browser and typing "File:///sdcard/<name here>.apk" to install an APK but getting an error in the installer after pushing 'install' -> 'Application not installed'
  • Trying to perform a factory reset; this simply makes the tablet reboot with everything the same as it was before.

Essentially guys and gals, my tablet here is running Android 2.0, I want to update it by making my own rom for it to something at least >4.0, and it seems that I've made things worse and have no way out of this mess. I think I've essentially bricked it even though it still works. :silly:
What do I need to do to make a custom ROM let alone flash/wipe this tablet?
All help will be incredibly valuable :)

Senorcat7

Apr 25, 2014
Still no paddles :(

There should be plenty of info here < > to get you on the right track. Not likely you'd be able to get anything beyond Gingerbread on there running due to lack of source code. Your only hope would be to see if there is a newer tablet with the same chipset that has something newer on it to port over.

Thank you very much for your response. It looks like on that website I've already found multiple useful roms!
In fact I already downloaded one and put it onto the SD card. Apparently for these tablets you're supposed to, while powered off, turn it back on by holding the power button and the volume up button but all this seems to do as a whole load of nothing.

I fear that what I've done to it by deleting potentially sensitive programs previously, I have somehow managed to make this process impossible.
Is there some kind of way that I can plug this tablet into my computer and be able to completely wipe it so I can, at the very least, have a functional tablet that will work at all? I've done approximately 5 factory data resets yet the background image that my friend has on the tablet as well as seemingly every single setting and application is remaining untouched..

Top Liked Posts