Can't restore previous backup from Safestrap on new phone!

Search This thread

matrix311

Mar 5, 2009
I received a replacement S5 today because my previous phone had a screen defect. I was running a custom rom through safestrap. When I did the initial install of safestrap I did a stock rom backup. I then loaded my custom rom on the phone and had it fully configured the way I like it. Before I sent my phone off for replacement I did a backup of my custom rom and saved it on my external sd memory card.

Flash forward to the new phone. I root it, install safestrap, boot into recovery and go to restore and my custom rom backup is not listed there as an option to restore to. Is there something additional I need to do to allow this new phone to restore that previous backup? Are the backups some how tagged to only work on a specific serial number or something?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I'm new to safestrap so hopefully its something simple I'm missing within the settings. If I go to the internal file manager within safestrap I can browse to my backup so I know its there and visible on the memory card, it just will not show up as an option to restore from when I access that menu within safestrap.

Thanks

matrix311

Mar 5, 2009
Update - I was able to fix it. For anyone else that may run into this issue all I did was create a new nandroid backup of my new phone and it created a new folder that safestrap was referencing for this specific phone. I then copied the folder of my previous backup from my broken phone to the new folder for my new phone and safestrap was able to see the backup. I selected it and installed it and all is golden and back to normal on my new handset.

Stupifier

Jun 8, 2010
Wow.....That is super lame of SafeStrap! I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for a solution to this issue. I was stumped. Thanks a BUNCH! Really freaking stupid that this happens though. Should be better documented.

Tulsadiver

Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2013
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Wow.....That is super lame of SafeStrap! I just stumbled upon this thread while searching for a solution to this issue. I was stumped. Thanks a BUNCH! Really freaking stupid that this happens though. Should be better documented.

Hashcode was just trying to save some poor fools phone. Someone would try and restore the backup from the wrong firmware onto their phone and blame him.

Reactions: Stupifier

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update - I was able to fix it. For anyone else that may run into this issue all I did was create a new nandroid backup of my new phone and it created a new folder that safestrap was referencing for this specific phone. I then copied the folder of my previous backup from my broken phone to the new folder for my new phone and safestrap was able to see the backup. I selected it and installed it and all is golden and back to normal on my new handset.

Hashcode was just trying to save some poor fools phone. Someone would try and restore the backup from the wrong firmware onto their phone and blame him.