[ROM][Player4][US/Intl] Cyanogenmod 11 for the Galaxy Player 4.0

Search This thread

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
Well idk about project svelte(maybe, maybe not) but yes it enables transparent status bar.(and you need to reboot your device to take effect. )

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk 4

I've read somewhere else that to use project svelte and other kitkat feature at it's full potential we need some special lighter kernel, is it true? It's true that my player is a little bit more laggy since I removed this flag, but I also enabled ART at the same time, so I can't really compare what did what.

zaclimon

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
I've read somewhere else that to use project svelte and other kitkat feature at it's full potential we need some special lighter kernel, is it true? It's true that my player is a little bit more laggy since I removed this flag, but I also enabled ART at the same time, so I can't really compare what did what.

I don't really understand the *lighter* in what you say but I do know that we need to apply some tweaks so it can really save some more space. (ram wise) Also with ART enabled, we do same even more space and I found the device to be a bit smoother.

Here's information on how to really optimise the ram usage on 512MB devices:

http://source.android.com/devices/low-ram.html

Also I've added support for swap and zram, I'll include them in the next build.

Last edited:

FlinderMouse

Oct 7, 2012
First off, I know the OP says not to post about the ART feature, but I just wanted to let everybody know that GApps do not work with ART enabled. With Dalvik, however, I get an error (Couldn't sign in: There was a problem communicating with Google servers. Try again later.) about not being able to reach Google servers. I tested the browser on my player and my PC, so this is probably a problem with Kit Kat. Additionally, many features (transparent navbar/statusbar and settings for the home screen, for example) appear to be completely absent.

goldflame09

Jul 23, 2012
CT
First off, I know the OP says not to post about the ART feature, but I just wanted to let everybody know that GApps do not work with ART enabled. With Dalvik, however, I get an error (Couldn't sign in: There was a problem communicating with Google servers. Try again later.) about not being able to reach Google servers. I tested the browser on my player and my PC, so this is probably a problem with Kit Kat. Additionally, many features (transparent navbar/statusbar and settings for the home screen, for example) appear to be completely absent.

You must have not done a clean flash or something. in all the builds i have flashed, i have never had this problem.

what gapps version are you using?

Reactions: FlinderMouse

FlinderMouse

Oct 7, 2012
gapps-kk-20131031 is the version I'm using of GApps. When I flashed, it was completely fresh, but tomorrow maybe I'll try again.

EDIT: I downloaded the latest KitKat Gapps, so I will try to flash to stock then upgrade again.

EDIT 2: It works now, a second clean install and the latest Gapps fixed all the problems.

Sent from my YP-G1 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
Nope, I'm in ahuntsic since the beginning of the year. (Marianopolis, Dawson, etc are a bit too far from my home as I live in the north-east side of the island XD) It would have been funny that we haven't seen each other since the first day loool.

Actually I'm kinda surprised that that there's a 3rd Canadian here!! (even more another qcer)

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk 4

Who's the third quebecer? And is he in montreal, too? We should all meet up at some point XD
Another question: how did all the other canadians get their players? I've never seen them in Canada, I ordered mine in the US..

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
Who's the third quebecer? And is he in montreal, too? We should all meet up at some point XD
Another question: how did all the other canadians get their players? I've never seen them in Canada, I ordered mine in the US..

Well as you've probably know, it's actually ti-pich. As how we got our players, well I imported mine from HK because the thing couldn't just get in the US... (it was pricey, really loool....) As for ti-pich, his device is a canadian one (I think he bought it from BM, @ti-pich correct me if I'm wrong)

Also let's not dive into too much off-topic, if we want to talk about this, let's get into PM.

ti-pich

Sep 11, 2012
Québec
Well as you've probably know, it's actually ti-pich. As how we got our players, well I imported mine from HK because the thing couldn't just get in the US... (it was pricey, really loool....) As for ti-pich, his device is a canadian one (I think he bought it from BM, @ti-pich correct me if I'm wrong)

Also let's not dive into too much off-topic, if we want to talk about this, let's get into PM.

Actually I've buyed my player from a little electronic shop here in Québec called La clé de sol. They had a couple of 4.0 and 5.0. I'm not sure about the price thought, I think it was around 234$ with tax included... What a steal it was when we see how the new nexus 7 is only 229$ now.

TheTehk17

Apr 5, 2011
Sleeps even better than the CM10.2 build.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-23-09-29-59.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-23-09-29-59.png
    63.1 KB · Views: 292
Reactions: zaclimon

markymark567

Nov 18, 2012
anyone have a mirror for the rom download? it fails everytime for me. says downloading "<untitled>" for about 7 mins then fails. tried to download on all three of my tablets and my pc. all of them fail =(

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
anyone have a mirror for the rom download? it fails everytime for me. says downloading "<untitled>" for about 7 mins then fails. tried to download on all three of my tablets and my pc. all of them fail =(

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using xda app-developers app

Here's one for ya :p

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxR3Y3-7bPSuLXlfRTl0RTFLaU0/edit?usp=sharing

Actually I've buyed my player from a little electronic shop here in Québec called La clé de sol. They had a couple of 4.0 and 5.0. I'm not sure about the price thought, I think it was around 234$ with tax included... What a steal it was when we see how the new nexus 7 is only 229$ now.

It's not that bad, I bought mine at 290$ US... (all included) XD

Last edited:
Reactions: markymark567

trainman261

Feb 6, 2012
Gotta love amazon. Paid about 200 lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Yup, same here. I was in Florida for a week with my family, and I had it sent to the hotel. Paid $200 US as well, although at that time just about every US site had it for $200.
Alright, we should probably get back on topic, I'll try to make this my last off-topic post :D

daniel644

Feb 29, 2012
maybe I'm just overlooking it but I'm having trouble finding the menu where you can change how the clock and battery indicator display (you know like show percentage instead of the battery icon). anyone know where it moved to?

goldflame09

Jul 23, 2012
CT
maybe I'm just overlooking it but I'm having trouble finding the menu where you can change how the clock and battery indicator display (you know like show percentage instead of the battery icon). anyone know where it moved to?

Its not even there yet. Give cm some time

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

justinlee9

Nov 24, 2013
i have successfully installed the kernel, cm11 and gapps without any issues (backed up efs) but after pressing "reboot system now" after gapps installation, what appears is "Root access is missing. Root device?" in the cwm recovery. after pressing "yes-Root device (/system/xbin/su)" it reboots and goes back to cwm recovery. the same thing happens when i press "no". cant seem to find a way to boot properly. could anyone please tell me what's wrong?

dorfd1

Jan 13, 2012
I thought building the source using tablet build characteristic was a device I'd hack? How is building with a phone characteristic working without an imei number?

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk

zaclimon

Aug 14, 2011
Montréal
i have successfully installed the kernel, cm11 and gapps without any issues (backed up efs) but after pressing "reboot system now" after gapps installation, what appears is "Root access is missing. Root device?" in the cwm recovery. after pressing "yes-Root device (/system/xbin/su)" it reboots and goes back to cwm recovery. the same thing happens when i press "no". cant seem to find a way to boot properly. could anyone please tell me what's wrong?

Could you try to format your /system in your mounts and storage menu, then try to reinstall the rom. After when pressing to reboot the system now, press NO while asked to root your device.

I thought building the source using tablet build characteristic was a device I'd hack? How is building with a phone characteristic working without an imei number?

Sent from my YP-G1 using Tapatalk

Well actually the imei has no really a link with the device ID. When the device was defined as a tablet with ICS, it was only to tell the play store that it was a tablet so the device could download the vast majority of apps it couldn't download. Now after test, I saw that this particular definition wasn't needed anymore so I removed it.

Reactions: obscuresword

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CyanogenMod 11 is a free, community built distribution of Android 4.4 (Kitkat) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone, tablet or PMP.

Code:
    #include 
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

These are CM11 builds for the Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0. It may cause all the things in the disclaimer to happen, or steal your girlfriend while you are busy flashing ROMs.

Note: Please backup your efs in case of something goes wrong (the zip should backup it but we're never too sure) To do so execute this command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/block/stl3 of=/sdcard/efs.rfs

Download: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ypg1

Rom Install instructions:
    If coming from stock:
    1. Download the CM zip
    2. Make your backups!!
    3. Make sure your efs is intact (not blank)
    4. Boot into recovery
    5. Flash the CM zip (Note: upon flashing it, your device will hang, IT'S NORMAL. Wait about 10-20 secs then force reboot your device)
    6. Let the installer do it's things...
    7. The device will reboot a last time into recovery where you can flash gapps if you want. (No wipe is necessary at this point because the zip have wiped it)
    8. Reboot
    9. Enjoy!!

If coming from a Pre-LVM build: (ALL builds before 28/12 as well as CM10.1, CM10.2)
    1. Download the CM zip
    2. Boot into recovery
    3. Make a nandroid backup
    4. Flash the CM zip (You'll receive an warning concerning /data partition, it didn't flashed anything yet so you can make a final check before flash)
    5. Reflash the CM zip again (the zip will reboot your device into recovery again and this reboot is needed!!!)
    6. After the reboot, reflash for a third time the zip (The real installation begins!!)
    7. After the installation succeded, you can flash your gapps and restore your data from an advanced restore with nandroid (IF NEEDED as the zip wipes data for the new partition layout)
    8. Reboot
    9. Enjoy!!

If coming from an LVM build:
    1. Download the CM zip
    2. Boot into recovery
    3. Flash the CM zip
    4. Flash Gapps (If necessary)
    5. Enjoy!!

Pre-LVM rom instructions!! (Deprecated)

1. Download cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip (md5: 4a900fcddbc3d81d121a7b9c9d4bb0a0)
    2. Download cm-11-20131208-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    3. Make all your backups.
    4. Make sure your efs is intact (not blank).
    5. Boot into recovery, make more backups.
    6. Flash cm-9-20130402-kernel-preflash.zip (temporary workaround for first-time install from stock)
    7. Flash cm-11-20131208-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip

Installation Notes:
    When you install for the first time, there is a conversion to the new MTD partition layout. The installer will flash the new kernel and reboot. It is possible for this process to hang up on the samsung logo (still working that part out). It is normal to see the Samsung logo appear 3 seperate times during this reboot phase. **Please wait at least a minute before assuming you are stuck.** If this happens, you should extract the boot.img from the installer zip and flash it with heimdall (heimdall flash --kernel boot.img, or other appropriate GUI methods). It should boot back into recovery. You need to flash the zip one more time as CWM made some changes since 4.3 and thus, the *smooth* installation isn't working anymore. Once the install finishes, you should be able to flash your gapps.

Install video (Thanks Daniel644)

Previous builds (Pre-LVM)

cm-11-20131201-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20131121-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip

Please do NOT report something related to ART yet, as it is a experimental feature, there's stuff that are expected to break

**Google Apps are not included in these ROMs. You'll need to install those yourself if you want them. Recommended and highly suggested are the 4.4 Gapps

Known Issues:
    - You tell me :p

Previous builds: (LVM)
    cm-11-20140917-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140824-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140811-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140707-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140610-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140517-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140421-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140323-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140312-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140209-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140115-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20140107-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip
    cm-11-20131228-UNOFFICIAL-ypg1.zip

Sources
    cm-11.0 branch:
    Device tree: https://github.com/bbelos/android_device_samsung_ypg1
    cm-11.0-ypg1-dev branch:
    Kernel source: https://github.com/bbelos/android_kernel_samsung_aries
    CM Nightlies Start!!

Three years ago, as I just received my Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 4.0 (YP-G1) I wondered if it would be possible to receive Cyanogenmod into it. As I thought I would systematically get CM into it, I just waited. That said, nobody wanted to develop on this device. I asked help everywhere but got turned back down. At this time, the only way to get it working is doing it by myself. I've never thought at first that I would have to learn all those stuff about Android. Then about when it was nearly impossible to get the stuff, I finally got the help I wanted. Today is a big day (even though I'm 3 years late XD) not only because the CM nightlies are out, but because it was a journey in which not only included me but all the SGP 4.0/5.0 community.

I would like to thank those people as well as everybody in this community for your support over these years: @bbelos @iJimaniac @goldflame09 @obscuresword @daniel644 @Meticulus @iurnait

Without any other due, here's the link for the CM nightlies, I will add it on the first page as well. :)

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ypg1

This doesn't mean it's the end though. I believe that it's the beginning of a new journey for everybody.

Enjoy and thank you very much!! :)
    Update time!

Hey guys I know I'm a bit late but... happy new year!! :D Here's the first release of 2014 (07/01) which includes some rather important fixes I should say:

- Front camera totally fixed (Preview/snapshot/video) Thanks to @bbelos
    - Video recording partially fixed (front works perfectly, back is only limited to 800x600 for the moment)
    - CM upstream merges (status bar settings, etc)
    - Other performance improvements.

Enjoy!! :)

Also I want to know if you want zRam to be enabled at boot, just let it know if you guys want/need it.
    New update guys :p

17/04

- Little changes to ramdisk (nothing major, only that we have a smaller boot.img)
    - New ffmpeg codecs support (flv, wmv, divx)
    - Fix for Google Camera
    - Upstream changes (new theme selector, etc...)

I've finished my finals (well I have a last exam next week) so I'll focus finally on merging all the sources with aries so we can get finally official CM support. :D

Enjoy!!
    Announcement!

It was one year and three months ago, while we were struggling with our devices, I called help from a developper named @bbelos With his help, we were able to get into the same kind of treatment the Galaxy Player 5.0 were getting at this time which is having good experience with AOSP based builds. First of most, we were able to get CM9 running without issue. (which was the first major millestone)

Then the second millestone came, the 3.0 kernel development. At that time what would be considered impossible, has been accomplished and enhanced greatly the performance of our aging single core device. With this advancement, we were able not only to have more juice to pull out from the Galaxy Player, but we were also able to confirm the arrival of other Android updates (Android 4.2, 4.3, 4.4 and maybe more who knows ;) )

Today is the beginning of the third millestone. The fact that somebody with a Galaxy Player 4.0 who isn't rooted yet, can get Cyanogenmod easily into their devices. I can say that the process into getting the YP-G1 into the device list of Cyanogenmod has begun!! :)

Aries Kernel Patches

We're getting through some last stuff and getting the "go" from the CM officials in order to get it through their servers.

Stay tuned for more updates. :p