[DISCUSSION] CM9 Experimental Build

Search This thread

Specialksg1

Jan 16, 2011
Portland, OR
Hey folks, I know there were a lot of ?'s regarding recovery, mine is a little different

• I know that this kernel doesn't currently have recovery
  • I forgot to flash FC22 modem when I flashed CM9

I plan on

• Odin'ing the EL26 Stock Repack Modem
  • Flashing Modem
  • Reflashing CM
  • Reflash GAPPS

I was going to reflash CM and GAPPS because I don't know of a stand-alone FC22 Kernel (I believe that's what we have here) that was modded for AOSP (e.g., don't grab the one from Calk's rom)

My real question is this the only way to restore the correct kernel after flashing the modem?

Thanks for any insight.

Can't help with the kernel, but if you extract the modem .bin file from your fc22 modem zip you can Odin that using the phone slot instead of pda slot. Then you wouldn't need to do the rest of that.

Reactions: adma84

adma84

Aug 23, 2010
Can't help with the kernel, but if you extract the modem .bin file from your fc22 modem zip you can Odin that using the phone slot instead of pda slot. Then you wouldn't need to do the rest of that.

Thanks for the feedback. Looking for a way to avoid using ODIN so I don't increase the binary counter. (don't you have to reset back to EL26 recovery to use USB JIG to wipe?)

qfnol31

Mar 1, 2012
Silver Spring
63bf2c7e-bb77-d254.jpg

63bf2c7e-bb88-c087.jpg

63bf2c7e-bba3-af43.jpg

Just curious but how are everyone else's battery life looking are those screen shots normal?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

I haven't had screen time like that in a while, but it looks right if you use anything above minimal brightness. Otherwise I can get twelve hours with four hours on.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

oiad

Nov 19, 2007
Thanks for the feedback. Looking for a way to avoid using ODIN so I don't increase the binary counter. (don't you have to reset back to EL26 recovery to use USB JIG to wipe?)

When I did the same thing a few builds ago I used mobile Odin back to the el26. Flashed the modem I wanted then reflashed cm9. You could find the kernel on a different post I believe but it doesn't really matter. It will look the exact same after you reflash as it did before. You wont need to reflash gapps if you don't wipe anything.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Joe Smithereens

Oct 8, 2010
Santa Monica CA
I'm not sure if it happened when I flashed the new modem, but when I went back to EL26 to flash CM9 the EL26 modem remained. Everything worked including GPS. I flashed the FC22 modem through Odin and now my GPS doesn't even try to get a lock. I'll Odin EL26 modem back when I get home to my cable and report back. Does anyone think this may have to do with not being able to update profile/prl?

adma84

Aug 23, 2010
When I did the same thing a few builds ago I used mobile Odin back to the el26. Flashed the modem I wanted then reflashed cm9. You could find the kernel on a different post I believe but it doesn't really matter. It will look the exact same after you reflash as it did before. You wont need to reflash gapps if you don't wipe anything.

I believe the update script for this does in fact wipe /system, so I will probably need to flash GAPPS

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
I'm not sure if it happened when I flashed the new modem, but when I went back to EL26 to flash CM9 the EL26 modem remained. Everything worked including GPS. I flashed the FC22 modem through Odin and now my GPS doesn't even try to get a lock. I'll Odin EL26 modem back when I get home to my cable and report back. Does anyone think this may have to do with not being able to update profile/prl?

I'm running the FC14 modem right now and it's seems to be working ok. Flashed it when I first rooted and was running Calkulins EL29 modded rom.

knives of ice

Jul 12, 2007
Xiaomi Mix Fold 2
my goodness this is sooooo frustrating. so my phone completely freezes up and won't do anything. i pull the battery and now it will not connect to wifi or 3g. when i try to start wifi i get the following message

WIFI Direct
Start Wi Fi Direct operation. This will turn off wifi/client/hotspot features

cancel ok

except there is no way i can see to start this.

what the heck is going on? i did nothing other than reboot my phone.

any ideas?

edit - ok now i got wifi to finally turn on. it says connected but does not have any connection the wifi icon is still grayed out just like the 3g icons when wifi is off. i have a signal but nothing turns blue.

Last edited:

brooksyx

Jan 31, 2011
Vancouver, WA
I am having issues with wifi too. Sometimes it can't find a single and if I turn it on I have to manually connect it sometimes.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal
Followed the info linked by the original post in the dev forum and installed this morning.

It seems to be behaving well and no force closes. Only problem is Android OS battery usage on mine. I will mess with it more today and tomorrow to get an idea of whether or not it's just because I was setting it up and using it more than usual today.

Are there any working versions of BetterBattery Stats for ICS or similar programs? I like to keep an eye on process battery usage when I try out a new ROM.

So far everything else is looking good. I'm looking forward to tracking progress on this one. I think that if I can get around the battery usage this could finally be my first ICS daily.

High android os usage is common for our processor. This can be exaggerated if you have apps requesting background data. Also, there's a long delay for our processor to enter deep sleep, so there could also be an app or a setting you chose that doesn't allow the CPU to deep sleep. For now, I would try installing apps slowly to see if 1 of them is causing a problem, and I would avoid using any settings that has the phone poll for notifications (like the led). Just keep in mind that android os will remain higher than you'd expect.

And I'm using better battery stats now on cm9 and don't notice a problem.

Sent from my SPH-D710

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
I just noticed a similar problem as reported before. My phones battery was sitting at about 40%, I rebooted my phone as I was messing around with something, when it booted up, it was instantly at 20%, noticed this and rebooted again and then battery jumped up to 25%, and now seems to be going down normally from there. I have a feeling calibration is off, how can I get out to recalibrate?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

interhawk1

Feb 20, 2011
Has anyone been able to flash the fc22 modem through mobile Odin? I have the .tar file and flash it but it seems it never sticks. Can anyone please give me some assistance?

Thanks in advance

darkfire2024

Feb 21, 2012
Has anyone been able to flash the fc22 modem through mobile Odin? I have the .tar file and flash it but it seems it never sticks. Can anyone please give me some assistance?

Thanks in advance

Mobile Odin is known for not being able to flash modems. Use odin pc in phone slot, or flash it after you flash a rom and gapps because you don't want to be using ICS recovery.

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal
I just noticed a similar problem as reported before. My phones battery was sitting at about 40%, I rebooted my phone as I was messing around with something, when it booted up, it was instantly at 20%, noticed this and rebooted again and then battery jumped up to 25%, and now seems to be going down normally from there. I have a feeling calibration is off, how can I get out to recalibrate?

I noticed this with gb roms also, which leads me to believe it has something to do with how the battery stats are read by the kernel. I hadn't bothered to dig any further past this observation.

If you are asking about battery calibration since you can't wipe stats from recovery, I think there's some apps in the market that will do this for you. I've used battery monitor widget pro to do this in the past.

Sent from my SPH-D710

coiledwire

Oct 20, 2010
norcal

Thanks in advance

As darkfire replied, mobile Odin can't apply modems as of yet. The PC Odin works as expected.

Sent from my SPH-D710

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
I noticed this with gb roms also, which leads me to believe it has something to do with how the battery stats are read by the kernel. I hadn't bothered to dig any further past this observation.

If you are asking about battery calibration since you can't wipe stats from recovery, I think there's some apps in the market that will do this for you. I've used battery monitor widget pro to do this in the past.

Sent from my SPH-D710

I didn't have this problem with stock or with Calkulins EL29 mod, didn't happen until CM9. I'm going to run through a few full charge and discharge(powers itself down) cycles tonight and tomorrow though and see if it eventually re-calibrates.

chrlswltrs

Aug 24, 2010
Seattle
I updated to alpha 1 today and the ringer volume bug is gone. Now I will be completely happy once video camera works. Happy to have torch in the pull down again

-Sent from my CM9 E4GT using Tapatalk

blackroseMD1

Jul 12, 2010
San Diego, CA
www.standupforkids.org

I've had this problem with both GB and ICS AOSP roms on the E4GT...not sure what the issue is, but it's been going on a while.

krazyflipj

Jan 14, 2008
Anyone having issues with Bluetooth sound? When I'm on the phone via car Bluetooth, ppl tell me there's an echo

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

oiad

Nov 19, 2007
Mine is working fine. I have a pair of s10 headphones and haven't had any problems. Talked to the wife on my bike today with no complaints about the call.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please use this thread to discuss the CM9 experimental build.
    I'm still working at it guys, I'd like to give you an eta but its hard to say until I get this pressing issue fixed. I'm not holding out just protecting phones from damage :p But progress is being made and I will share as soon as I feel comfortable with it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
    to clarify some things, this is source built, it is NOT a port/kang of the international gs2 nor is it from an older build.

I will NOT be working with bubby, I will keep my opinions to myself but there is too much controversary surrounding him and I will not be involved in this drama.
    I came here to dev and learn, now let's discuss this ICS rom I heard about :)

carry on

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App
    external sd was moved to /emmc because the framework didn't like the mounts stacked (/mnt/sdcard, /mnt/sdcard/exteranl_sd, /mnt/sdcard/usbStorage) but thats worked out in the next release and storage settings will work and no fc on media). GPS should work in next release, just pushing the gps lib to stock 3.1 won't work, I forgot the gps service :-/, it should work with steady's kernel tho. Youtube is working but not 100%. I'm still doing test builds while I await my phone, if I get confirmation of a solid build before I get my phone I will release it.

I appreciate everyone's enthusiasm and support to get this going!
    I built it off of the intl sgs2 source and started porting drivers over. I'm close to having modem and wimax working. I posted the source on my git if anyone wants to help.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA