EXTRA NOOB Friendly Guides

Did you find any of these guides helpful?

• Yes. I am all set

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • No. Stoping wasting space

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • Yes. Please make more

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • There Helpful but I already know what im doing

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters
Search This thread

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
This thread is just going to be EXTRA NOOB friendly versions of other guides. Its also going to be like an index where all/most of the guides will be. Please ask you questions on original threads :).

you can skip down to the Second Post Which is my First Guide about Downloading and Installing the SDK so you can use ADB.

I decided to make this guide because I too am a noob (not as much as i was before) and i know how frustrating it is when you dont understand something. even though xda make complicated things seem easy sometimes its not easy enough and im not saying its anyones fault thats why there are so many helpful members on the forum, i know i asked my fair share of questions

I will be gearing these guides to Windows XP. For many reasons, one i dont have a Mac, two Vista sucks :), three not many have Windows 7 and i think its going to suck too :), four I have ubuntu linux and it takes some knowledge to really know how to use it so you shouldnt be an EXTRA NOOB. Also Please use firefox because it saves files to desktop and easy to find and follow my instructions.

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
Downloading and Installing the SDK

This is my First Guide so bear with me :)
Downloading and Installing the SDK v1

First step is rooting you G1
Original Post:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=442480
Follow Koush's post it is pretty self explanatory PM if you need a MORE detailed version.

- download and install Winzip or Winrar
- go here and download the latest SDK:
http://code.google.com/android/download_list.html
- when download finishes right-click on the file and click "extract here"
- an new folder should come up rename it to: SDK
- open the folder; you should see a folder inside named tools and - some other stuff that dont matter right now
- open the tools folder, you should see two files named adb.exe and AdbWinApi.dll copy and paste those files to your system32 folder (go to my computer->local disk->windows->system32)

Next downloading and installing Drivers and getting adb to work
-Turn on "USB Debugging" on your device.
- Press Home-> press menu->select settings-> select Applications -> go down to Development then enable USB debugging

- dont plug phone in yet, if plugged unplug.
-go here and download the adb drivers now right-click and extract here
NOW plug in your phone
- the Found New Hardware Wizard will come up
- select No, not this time and click Next.
- Select Install from a list or specified location and click Next.
- Select Search for the best driver in these locations
- now find the folder: android_usb_windows and look in side and select android_usb.inf

Now we will check if everything works :)
- on your computer press start then go to run... and type in cmd
- first type in adb to make sure you got it working, you should see: Android Debug Bridgeversion 1.0.20
-now type adb devices, you should see something like this:
List of devices attached
HT844G****** device
The Hard Part is over.

haitiankid4lyf

May 25, 2008
Apps on sdcard (Magic 4.5 also)

For those with the new 4.5 rom u need to install busybox

Download this file to the root of your sdcard
http://androidfanatic.com/cms/unofficial-app-repo.html?func=startdown&id=14
then do folowinf commands from terminal emmulator or adb shell:

mkdir /data/busybox
cat /sdcard/busybox > /data/busybox/busybox
chmod 4755 /data/busybox/busybox
cd /data/busybox
./busybox --install
export PATH=/data/busybox:$PATH

then skip to STEP 2 of this post

Some people wanted a more simple Guide to installing apps on their sdcard
Original Post
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=468959

First thing first go here and download and install Paragon Partiton Magic its a 90day trial chances are you'll only need to use it once.
http://www.download.com/Paragon-Partition-Manager-Personal-/3000-2248_4-10495078.html?tag=mncol
- conect your phone to computer via USB and mount it.
- and programs that may be using the phone: adb, windows explorer, mediaplayer etc
- open it up Paragon and click on create a partition, then click next
- you should see something like:
Basic Hard Disk 2 (HTC Android Phone USB Device)
- click on it and hit next
- move the slider to set how big you want you new partition to - be move left to make it smaller and right to make it bigger

I set mines to 1gb, some set theres to 2gb it also depends on how big you sdcard is if you have the 1gb that came with the phone i wouldn't advise doing this because of size and because their transfer rate are slower and could cause lag. 500mb is more than enough room it all depends on you i had 90 apps and only used 42mb.

- anyways when you select the size hit next
- in partition type select Linux Ext2 leave everything else the - way it was
- now select yes and hit next, the process should start
- it may tell you that you computer needs to restart hit yes and - let it restart
** MAKE SURE YOU DONT UNPLUG YOUR PHONE OR TURN IT OFF, DONT TOUCH IT AT ALL UNTILL THE OPERATION IS COMPLETEY FINISHED**
- when the computer boots up before getting to the logon screen paragon will finish partitioning.
now go here:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=468959
download and unzip, rename the folder it extracts to to: mod
now cut and paste the folder: mod that contains the two files to the root of your hard drive (my computer->local disk and paste them there)

if you tried this mod before and was unsuccessful make sure you wipe before you try again, you mountd and init files can be corupted, i would advice a wipe and then reinstallation of JF 1.4.1

- connect you phone to your computer if its not already, go to comand prompt (start->run... type cmd) copy and paste everything after $ into command prompt
$ adb devices
- make sure that you see you device connected
$ mkdir /backup
$ adb pull /system/etc/mountd.conf /backup
$ adb pull /system/init.rc /backup
- you just backed up those two files to a folder named backup thats on the root of your harddrive check and make sure they are there.
$ adb remount
$ adb shell mkdir /system/sd
$ adb shell ls /system
- make sure that you see sd in the list of things that come up
$ adb push /mod/mountd.conf /system/etc/mountd.conf
$ adb push /mod/init.rc /system/init.rc
$ adb shell reboot
$ adb remount
$ adb shell

STEP 2 htc magic users start here

$ busybox df -h
- make sure you see a line ending in /system/sd
$ busybox cp -a /data/app /system/sd
$ rm -r /data/app
$ ln -s /system/sd/app /data/app
$ busybox cp -a /data/app-private /system/sd/app-private
$ rm -r /data/app-private
$ ln -s /system/sd/app-private /data/app-private
if you want to move data

$ busybox cp -a /data/data /system/sd/data
rm -r /data/data
$ ln -s /system/sd/data /data/data
$ adb shell reboot

now you are finished, there are undu instructions on the original post also a way to copy yout /data/data/ (folder where caches and other stuff are saved) to sdcard i advice not if you dont have a class 5 or 6 card or artleast class 4

hope this helps

Last edited:

ariex

Feb 19, 2008
actually i really appreciate someone made this guide. this was the only guide that actually worked for me i appreciated it. now i finally have 58 mb internal storage to play with thanks a lot.

carguy1973

Dec 12, 2007
Do you have any plans on creating an extra noob guide for installing cupcake? Thanks again for all the help. Carguy1973.

pixel-painter

Jan 9, 2009
Seattle
Thank you, sometimes it's nice to get just the details too :) I am very happy to have apps on SD card in 4.5 thanks to ur help.

I have a question about the busybox install..... it worked fine for me, but the busybox PATH is broken after re-boot. After much searching I found this page here but I could not tell if it was solved as the thread sort of petered out after.

The solution was to pull intit.rc and edit it by adding this with no indent

export PATH /system/bin:/data/busybox:$PATH

after pushing back the edited init.rc to Android with adb I rebooted but my busybox PATH is still broken and I have to go into an adb shell and re-input "export PATH=/data/busybox:$PATH" every time the device is rebooted just to make busybox work, do you know a solution to this. Thanks again :D

update
I noticed on haykuro's twitter page that the update he is going to post later today will include busybox.

Last edited:

ben29pickett

Mar 16, 2008
how do u do all of this on vista??

Vista and xp are basicly the same to do if its based around CMD (Comand prompt for the noobs):p So.. Dont worrie, Just follow it the same, Most guides for xp work on vista unless it states it needs an xp specific thing that vista wont let you do.. Dont worrie im on windows 7, Almost everything that works on vista works on xp and vice versa when it comes to CMD

pixel-painter

Jan 9, 2009
Seattle
I use both Linux and Windows 7 for accessing the phone and they work equally as well for most tasks.

For windows 7 just install the Vista USB Driver (if it is 64 bit, download the Vista 64 bit USB Driver) and either add adb and fastboot to your Windows path... OR you can put the files in Windows/system32.

Last edited:

ben29pickett

Mar 16, 2008
I use both Linux and Windows 7 for accessing the phone and they work equally as well for most tasks.

For windows 7 just install the Vista USB Driver (if it is 64 bit, download the Vista 64 bit USB Driver) and either add adb and fastboot to your Windows path... OR you can put the files in Windows/system32.

I was gonna say this, But obviously some one beat me to my seccond post ;)
Yeh, What this dude said, Altho i have noticed, Sometimes it does tend to uninstall the driver, If it stops workin reinstall the driver in device manager

ben29pickett

Mar 16, 2008
That Might be a idea. Sure its outdated, why doesn't everyone want to build it. Make it strong so that many of the ''noobs'' will stop asking the same question.
Maybe a fair point? But i dont belive noobs know what a wikki is let alone even bother to read one, They just want a .exe program like the ziphone program ;)

Mast3rmatt

Jul 20, 2008
▂ ▃ ▅ ▆ █
Maybe a fair point? But i dont belive noobs know what a wikki is let alone even bother to read one, They just want a .exe program like the ziphone program ;)

Well, If you haven't seen what allshadow.com wiki is has is becoming then your in for a ride. I was hoping if we can make it sorta like the shadows on allshadow.com. Its really easy to use and has all the information ever needed.(Also Keeps the forums less clutter with TUTs everywhere.

http://wiki.allshadow.com/index.php/Main_Page

pixel-painter

Jan 9, 2009
Seattle
I was gonna say this, But obviously some one beat me to my seccond post ;)
Yeh, What this dude said, Altho i have noticed, Sometimes it does tend to uninstall the driver, If it stops workin reinstall the driver in device manager

Thanks :) another kind of related thing.... in Vista and Windows 7 you have to disable Digital Driver Signing. To do this you can hit F8 when you boot into Windows and select it from the Advanced Boot Menu.

The USB Driver will NOT install otherwise, and will NOT work after it is installed unless you do this.