4.4.2 update has been out for a while, what are everyone's thoughts

Search This thread

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Hi All,

Now that the KK update is out and installed on all RAZR HDs except for those that are pokey, I thought I'd see what everyone's opinions are.

Try to be a little more informative than "it's good", "I like it", or "it sucks", "I want a different phone". I figured this would be a good place to post up new tricks you've discovered, maybe weren't aware of before actually installing the new OS, and maybe help others discover and maximize the capabilities of the phone now.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD RELATED TO "WHEN IS THE NEW ROOT METHOD COMING"!!!! There are enough threads getting spammed with that nonsense.

I'll go first I guess:

- Liking the extra RAM that has been freed up with the update. About 30-40 additional MB, which in my case with everything I am running every little bit helps!
- Liking that I am now able to take advantage of the KK Xposed modules.
- Thankful that @iBolski pointed me to the new way to hack the wireless hotspot.
- I was toying with the Daydream option in settings, but couldn't get it to work correctly I don't think.
- Definitely enjoying having a 2-yr old phone that is software relevant again. Having unlimited data on VeeZeeDub I like being able to put off outright buying a phone again like I did this one.
- Liking the fact that lockscreen widgets can be posted on the lockscreen, and that a simple swype down from the clock (while using pattern lock method) moves the pattern lock to the bottom and allows the ability to view the widgets without unlocking the phone. Also like that camera is one of the widgets - much easier to get to in a pinch!
- Liking the fact that with Gravity Box [KK] I can use the frosted lockscreen image setting. Have been wanting that for a while.
- Also liking that when music is playing on the phone, the lockscreen image is changed to a picture of the album cover art (not sure if this is a mod I set up in XBlast Tools or in Gravity Box [KK] or something that is standard on the KK OS, but liking it regardless)

...more to come I'm sure!

Feb 4, 2011
I love it since I have root.

Things I love:
-Quicker to launch applications
-No lag, or hold ups
-The new pull down menu is a lot better.
-The lock screen and the ability to to take a picture while locked is very nice.
-Battery life seems to be better.

Things I hate:
-Swype is not included and now I have to pay $3.99

Overall, great update!

iBolski

I concur with Modernmidnights assessment with the exception of Swype. I haven't used it since I purchased Swiftkey. Like that so much better.

My con was the popping noise, but that's fixed now with the fix that @kabaldan gave us. You can get that here:

http://d-h.st/vre

Otherwise, great performance. Lag is gone. Heck, I hate to say it, but I'm getting better performance out of stock than I did with Nexesque ROM and that ROM was great under JB.

Very happy with this release.

xubeiga

Nov 26, 2012
is it possible to have google now on this device?
i mean that thing that u say "ok google now" and the phones wakes up and talks to you?
or it is not possible since the hardware is not compatible?

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
I concur with Modernmidnights assessment with the exception of Swype. I haven't used it since I purchased Swiftkey. Like that so much better.

My con was the popping noise, but that's fixed now with the fix that @kabaldan gave us. You can get that here:

http://d-h.st/vre

Otherwise, great performance. Lag is gone. Heck, I hate to say it, but I'm getting better performance out of stock than I did with Nexesque ROM and that ROM was great under JB.

Very happy with this release.

I'm also using Swiftkey, started before Swype was a feature for the AOSP keyboard (at least I think so, else I didn't know how to enable it while looking for it). I have already even deleted the stock keyboard, lol. Come to think of it I remember when Swiftkey added Swype. Was a test of sorts, then it disappeared for about a week, I was so mad I sent a nastygram to them to which they responded that it'll be coming in an update and that it was just a beta test.

Popping noise... mind elaborating slightly? I'm wondering if it's the same popping noise I am getting with autovoice enabled for listening...

iBolski

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
My apologies for making you respond, I should have looked harder. Your topic describing the issue was almost right below this thread. I don't think that's what my issue is.

I've noticed many problems with the stock messaging app and with hangouts as well, so many I deleted them both and switched to Go SMS pro.

Sigh, hearing there is another update from Motorola on the way makes me sad, I've customized the phone so much since the update I don't want to go back to stock and do it all over again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Velocy

Mar 20, 2012
i mean that thing that u say "ok google now" and the phones wakes up and talks to you?

The latest motorola phone can do that because they have a dedicated , very low power processor for it , if we did this on our phone , it would ruin the battery life.
the closest you ca, achieve , is with nova launcher, you can program it to respond to "ok google" when you are on the main screen.

Reactions: xubeiga

iBolski

Google Now is already on the phone. Now, if you want it to launch from the launcher, then at this point, no. The Google Now Launcher is not available for this phone (yet).

However, as another poster stated, you can get the latest Nova Launcher and it has the ability to respond to "Ok Google" from the desktop.

Reactions: xubeiga

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Or, if one is rooted, use the Xposed module OK Google For Third Party Launchers and enable everything (all apps, EVERYTHING) within. Now I can use "OK Google" to launch Google Now from any application or screen (except for the lockscreen... still working on that one...)

Took about 5 minutes to go through all 150+ apps to enable them all, but worth it.

Reactions: iBolski

LifeAsADroid

Sep 17, 2012
Awesomeville, USA
Another question for all:

Has anyone tried using the Moto Skip yet after upgrading to 4.4.2? I found the apk online (http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/moto-skip-apk-t2416837 check post #4)

It installed just fine and ran when entered from settings --> security, but I haven't actually tested it yet since I don't have any NFC tags on hand. Might see if I can pick up NFC tags to see if it works.

Little by little, changing this phone into a "Moto X Mini" lol. Let's call it Moto X Dragon, it sounds cooler 8) lol

Last edited:

xubeiga

Nov 26, 2012
Or, if one is rooted, use the Xposed module OK Google For Third Party Launchers and enable everything (all apps, EVERYTHING) within. Now I can use "OK Google" to launch Google Now from any application or screen (except for the lockscreen... still working on that one...)

Took about 5 minutes to go through all 150+ apps to enable them all, but worth it.

but it isnt possible to do stuff like you say ok google
say "text PEOPLE" "say the message"
and the phone sends it.
not possible right?

xubeiga

Nov 26, 2012
just did it with nova launcher it works.

Worked for me. Using "OK Google" command on the stock 4.4.2 Motorola launcher and the Xposed OK Google module.

you gotta be kidding me!!
seriously? lol i would love to have that.
just waiting the update here in Brazil, and waiting for the phone arrives. (grrr why does it take soo longggg -_- it actually passed only 4 days since i bought it and the max prize is 13/06 but I WANT ITTTTTTTTTTT NOWW)

Motorola Moto HD? hahah

killrhythm09

May 3, 2011
California
Did you know that Google keyboard works with KitKat, and is a marvelous substitute for Swype, with regard to gesture typing? And it's free. Get it in the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.inputmethod.latin
As someone who has used Google Keyboard, Swype, and Swiftkey all quite a bit, Google Keyboard's gesture typing isn't as good as the other two.

I still use it, but that might be a dealbreaker for some people.

Playb3yond

Dec 15, 2012
I love it since I have root.

Things I love:
-Quicker to launch applications
-No lag, or hold ups
-The new pull down menu is a lot better.
-The lock screen and the ability to to take a picture while locked is very nice.
-Battery life seems to be better.

Things I hate:
-Swype is not included and now I have to pay $3.99

Overall, great update!

Google Keyboard has a swype alternative that's free

Please excuse my lateness lol

I think personally, the OS is a lot snappier but there are a lot of bugs that are still present in the final release thought, I haven't had the popping noise sound but I have encountered soft reboots when I boot the phone with headphones in, it does lag a little sometimes but that's due to lack or ram. I love wireless printing, and read receipts. Would love art runtime if more apps were compatible with it. I'm just glad to have it. Having an locked bootloader isn't that great, the first Razr Maxx HD I had was and that was lovely, but I digress. Daydream is kind of useless to me. I am a battery converservationists. The multiple home launcher selector was well worth the wait. I can run Nova Launcher or the Google Now Launcher whenever I want to. Another drawback is that I can't write anything to the SD card unless it's with a system app now. Battery life is decent, I get a full day of heavy usage everyday. Which is the reason I purchased the phone, battery life. After a few days of running KitKat the random battery drain stopped for me.

Last edited:

awesomestinson

Jun 5, 2014
i'm now on JB rooted, and i've change my font to playful. If i update to kitkat, will i lost my font? coz i realy love the font :crying:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi All,

Now that the KK update is out and installed on all RAZR HDs except for those that are pokey, I thought I'd see what everyone's opinions are.

Try to be a little more informative than "it's good", "I like it", or "it sucks", "I want a different phone". I figured this would be a good place to post up new tricks you've discovered, maybe weren't aware of before actually installing the new OS, and maybe help others discover and maximize the capabilities of the phone now.

DO NOT POST ANYTHING IN THIS THREAD RELATED TO "WHEN IS THE NEW ROOT METHOD COMING"!!!! There are enough threads getting spammed with that nonsense.

I'll go first I guess:

- Liking the extra RAM that has been freed up with the update. About 30-40 additional MB, which in my case with everything I am running every little bit helps!
    - Liking that I am now able to take advantage of the KK Xposed modules.
    - Thankful that @iBolski pointed me to the new way to hack the wireless hotspot.
    - I was toying with the Daydream option in settings, but couldn't get it to work correctly I don't think.
    - Definitely enjoying having a 2-yr old phone that is software relevant again. Having unlimited data on VeeZeeDub I like being able to put off outright buying a phone again like I did this one.
    - Liking the fact that lockscreen widgets can be posted on the lockscreen, and that a simple swype down from the clock (while using pattern lock method) moves the pattern lock to the bottom and allows the ability to view the widgets without unlocking the phone. Also like that camera is one of the widgets - much easier to get to in a pinch!
    - Liking the fact that with Gravity Box [KK] I can use the frosted lockscreen image setting. Have been wanting that for a while.
    - Also liking that when music is playing on the phone, the lockscreen image is changed to a picture of the album cover art (not sure if this is a mod I set up in XBlast Tools or in Gravity Box [KK] or something that is standard on the KK OS, but liking it regardless)

...more to come I'm sure!
    I apologize if that was taken wrong. Wasn't trying to be an ass. I understand the situation clearly considering given that I did have to use an "old unlock" tool like everyone else. Was more commenting on the irony on how we got lucky twice and celebrating (if you couldn't tell with my laugh). I'm also thankful and one of the recipients of your awesome guide to getting unlock again.

In any case, you guys are all right and everyone should be unlock before updating and reap the benefits of freedom.

it was defiantly ironic, and i apologize if i came off harsh.
    i dedicate a lot more time to helping people on various forums than most people would.

when someone mocks my advice, i tend to get a bit of an attitude.
    i saw that you were joking, but it is different coming from someone with 6 post vs 1000+.

when you mock me (even in joking), you mock everyone who provides help to this forum who stands behind my position.
    including but not limited to @SamuriHL @iBolski @RikRong @djrbliss and the countless other helpers and developers providing support to this device.
    @djrbliss is the security expert who found this exploit, and stated, that it would never happen again.
    so when someone way!! smarter than me, gives advice, i tend to listen.

please just be considerate in the future, of how you would feel in my position.
    if you feel like an ass, dont make me feel like one.

thanks again!

The latest motorola phone can do that because they have a dedicated , very low power processor for it , if we did this on our phone , it would ruin the battery life.
    the closest you ca, achieve , is with nova launcher, you can program it to respond to "ok google" when you are on the main screen.

Google Now is already on the phone. Now, if you want it to launch from the launcher, then at this point, no. The Google Now Launcher is not available for this phone (yet).

However, as another poster stated, you can get the latest Nova Launcher and it has the ability to respond to "Ok Google" from the desktop.
    My battery life has been absolutely horrific since the update. Right now I'm at 41% and I've only been off the charger for 6 hours 25 minutes. I have barely used the phone all day. Bootloader is locked so I guess there's nothing I can do about it.

Have you not read? You can unlock your bootloader with the KK update. This has been known for over a month now.

Go unlock your phone here -> http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/46155-rootunlock-442-182183-razr-hdm-only/

Better do it now before the next soak comes out which patches Towelroot and bootloader unlocking.

Do it now. If you don't, then don't come crying to the rest of us. This is your chance to do it now. Once unlocked, then you can go back to JB if you so desire.