[Toolkit] Moto X Dev Edition Only for MAC OSX v2.03

Search This thread

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Hello everyone. I just sold my Moto X so I will no longer be updating this toolkit. I will try and help anyone with questions/problems when needed.

Back by popular demand...

I have had some people asking for links for my previously deleted toolkit.

So I have decided to revamp the toolkit for dev edition devices only. (Currently only supporting GSM dev (AT&T and T-Mobile) and VZW Dev)

With this toolkit you will be able to the following...
1) Root your device (unlock bootloader, install TWRP, install superSU)
2) Unroot your device
3) Return to stock
4) Debloat (google, moto, vzw stuff)
5) Activate mobile hotspot (VZW only)
6) reboot (recovery, bootloader, device)
7) Customize (bootanimation, bootlogo, ringtones, notifications)

How to use
1) Click download below
2) Extract zip file
3) Turn you phone on
4) Make sure USB debugging is enabled
5) Plug your phone into the computer.
6) Run moto_x_mac_tools.tool
7) FOLLOW ONSCREEN INSTRUCTIONS

Screenshots
See attachments...

Download
Moto X Toolkit v2.03

Change Log
v2.01 - Fixed some bugs with restoring back to stock, removed ReadWrite status (with dev edition this status is not needed)
v2.02 - Added downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4
- When returning to stock, or downgrading, USER DATA will be erased (no longer an option)
- There are only 2 variants of the dev edition so I changed to Verizon and GSM
v2.03 - Updated to latest supersu and TWRP

Please do not redistribute/mirror this toolkit. If you would like to link it in any other thread, please include a link back to this thread, give proper credit.

As with anything you will find on XDA, I am not responsible for anything that occurs to your phone or computer by using this toolkit.

Credits
DHacker29 / Hashcode - TWRP
Chainfire - SuperSU
imnuts - VZW tether
Google
Motorola

Last edited:

iamjackspost

Sep 20, 2011
Awesome, I used your old toolkit to flash stock recovery (so I could take the ota) and then back to TWRP. It was so easy! I'm sure others will appreciate this as well.

moonzilla

Jul 24, 2007
unlock with moto first?

Do I need to unlock my bootloader with Motorola before using the toolkit? I do have a VZW Dev device, but wanted to confirm.

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Do I need to unlock my bootloader with Motorola before using the toolkit? I do have a VZW Dev device, but wanted to confirm.

You can either unlock before using the toolkit. Or you can use the toolkit to guide you through the unlock. If you go to root device. The 1st question is if you are unlocked or not. If not, it will guide you through the process of unlocking the bootloader (semi-automatic). Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

wmjchoi

Sep 22, 2010
Thank you for re-posting this tool.

I am trying to go back to stock 4.4 to get the OTA (I have a Dev Ed VZN Moto X). I followed the on screen directions and downloaded the VZN 4.4 file (640 MB file). Then the phone reboots to bootloader (ReadWriteMode is 0). I press ENTER since the device has booted into FB mode and it says USB connected, the ReadWriteMode reads error: device not found (I did not unplug the phone from the computer).

Is there a fix for it? The same thing happens when I try to download 4.4.2.

Thanks

Last edited:

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
Thank you for re-posting this tool.

I am trying to go back to stock 4.4 to get the OTA (I have a Dev Ed VZN Moto X). I followed the on screen directions and downloaded the VZN 4.4 file (640 MB file). Then the phone reboots to bootloader (ReadWriteMode is 0). I press ENTER since the device has booted into FB mode and it says USB connected, the ReadWriteMode reads error: device not found (I did not unplug the phone from the computer).

Is there a fix for it? The same thing happens when I try to download 4.4.2.

Thanks

When in fastboot mode. The readwrite will say device not found. An ADB command is used to check the readwrite status. And ADB commands do not function while in fastboot mode.

You are ok to continue.

wmjchoi

Sep 22, 2010
When in fastboot mode. The readwrite will say device not found. An ADB command is used to check the readwrite status. And ADB commands do not function while in fastboot mode.

You are ok to continue.

Thanks.

I pressed enter to continue but my phone just reboots and restore does not work.

But when I tried to flash the stock recovery, readwrite says 0 and works like a charm. The problem only occurs when I try to restore the device.

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
It worked. I was able to upgrade to 4.2.2. Thank you so much. One thing though, the color on the screen is off. So far it looks like the color red is off. This might be my device only. I am going to flash 4.2.2. again and see if it happens again.

I just did the factory restore to 4.4.2 and all of my colors are ok.

Make sure you erase user data when it asks you. But this will erase everything.

wmjchoi

Sep 22, 2010

I did the factory restore again to 4.2.2 but I still have the same issue. I think something is wrong with my display. I think I need to call vzn and have them send me another unit.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Should i downgrade to 4.4? Or is it a bad idea?

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
I did the factory restore again to 4.2.2 but I still have the same issue. I think something is wrong with my display. I think I need to call vzn and have them send me another unit.

---------- Post added at 07:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Should i downgrade to 4.4? Or is it a bad idea?

Here is what I would do...

Just install TWRP and install Eclipse 3.2.1. This is the ROM that I use. It is great!! See if that fixes your color issue. If it does not. They I would say your device is f-ed up.

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-eclipse-moto-x-blur-based-v2-2-t2521509

wmjchoi

Sep 22, 2010
Here is what I would do...

Just install TWRP and install Eclipse 3.2.1. This is the ROM that I use. It is great!! See if that fixes your color issue. If it does not. They I would say your device is f-ed up.

http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/development/rom-eclipse-moto-x-blur-based-v2-2-t2521509

I tried flossing Eclipse 3.2.1 and the color was still off. My camera is not working as well. Maybe I will lock up the boot loader and restore it to 4.2.2 again. But your tool works great.

Currently on the phone with Motorola...

I should not downgrade to 4.4, right?

mjphillips1981

Jul 24, 2010
Youngstown, Ohio
I tried flossing Eclipse 3.2.1 and the color was still off. My camera is not working as well. Maybe I will lock up the boot loader and restore it to 4.2.2 again. But your tool works great.

Currently on the phone with Motorola...

I should not downgrade to 4.4, right?

I am not sure if you can downgrade or not with a dev edition. I have never tried. I know some people that have a consumer VZW (locked bootloader) cannot downgrade.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone. I just sold my Moto X so I will no longer be updating this toolkit. I will try and help anyone with questions/problems when needed.

Back by popular demand...

I have had some people asking for links for my previously deleted toolkit.

So I have decided to revamp the toolkit for dev edition devices only. (Currently only supporting GSM dev (AT&T and T-Mobile) and VZW Dev)

With this toolkit you will be able to the following...
    1) Root your device (unlock bootloader, install TWRP, install superSU)
    2) Unroot your device
    3) Return to stock
    4) Debloat (google, moto, vzw stuff)
    5) Activate mobile hotspot (VZW only)
    6) reboot (recovery, bootloader, device)
    7) Customize (bootanimation, bootlogo, ringtones, notifications)

How to use
    1) Click download below
    2) Extract zip file
    3) Turn you phone on
    4) Make sure USB debugging is enabled
    5) Plug your phone into the computer.
    6) Run moto_x_mac_tools.tool
    7) FOLLOW ONSCREEN INSTRUCTIONS

Screenshots
    See attachments...

Download
    Moto X Toolkit v2.03

Change Log
    v2.01 - Fixed some bugs with restoring back to stock, removed ReadWrite status (with dev edition this status is not needed)
    v2.02 - Added downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4
    - When returning to stock, or downgrading, USER DATA will be erased (no longer an option)
    - There are only 2 variants of the dev edition so I changed to Verizon and GSM
    v2.03 - Updated to latest supersu and TWRP

Please do not redistribute/mirror this toolkit. If you would like to link it in any other thread, please include a link back to this thread, give proper credit.

As with anything you will find on XDA, I am not responsible for anything that occurs to your phone or computer by using this toolkit.

Credits
    DHacker29 / Hashcode - TWRP
    Chainfire - SuperSU
    imnuts - VZW tether
    Google
    Motorola
    I just unlocked my Moto Maker VZW Moto X using that third party deal that's been going on in a separate threat. Thanks for making this toolkit. Mac users are typically SOL with this stuff, so it's very appreciated. I am going to try to use it to flash TWRP this afternoon, but just wanted to thank you in advance.

One question, if I want to flash TWRP 2.7, can I just rename the .img to twrp.img like it's named in the Recovery folder and replace the one in the folder with the newer one? I assume that will work. I've been out of the rooting/recovery scene since I got my Moto X, so I'm getting a little rusty.

Cheers.

Yes. Just rename the new one.
    If I'm rooted on 4.4.2, can I use this toolkit to flash stock recovery, then update to 4.4.4 OTA, then reuse the toolkit to re-flash twrp? Sorry for the noob question.

P.S. This is the toolkit I first used to root my device.

You should be able to.

Please download the latest version. I just updated it to the latest supersu and twrp.

I cannot test it as I do not have the Moto X any more, but everything should be fine.

Thanks.