(solved-post #7) Bricked phone+black screen

Search This thread

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
I have been running the new cm9 ics ROM for about 2 days now, and had just got all my data and apps sorted and fully working. I sat down, watched some TV, and after 30 mins i checked my phone. Black screen ( i assume its locked) i tap the power button, nothing, again nothing. I now think i must have turned my phone off. I now hold the power button, nothing, again, nothing. I grab my charger, put my phone on charge and notice no orange or green light. I have repeatedly tried to revive my phone but nothing works. I don't know if its the software, battery, charger, Im so confused. Please if anyone has had the same problem, or has any suggestions, i would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

some extra details: i charged my phone over night the day before, so it shouldn't have died ( i know you shouldnt charge overnight, but i do :/)

i wasn't trying to flash anything or messing around with files, it was in my pocket.

i didn't drop it

Last edited:

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
I have been running the new cm9 ics ROM for about 2 days now, and had just got all my data and apps sorted and fully working. I sat down, watched some TV, and after 30 mins i checked my phone. Black screen ( i assume its locked) i tap the power button, nothing, again nothing. I now think i must have turned my phone off. I now hold the power button, nothing, again, nothing. I grab my charger, put my phone on charge and notice no orange or green light. I have repeatedly tried to revive my phone but nothing works. I don't know if its the software, battery, charger, Im so confused. Please if anyone has had the same problem, or has any suggestions, i would appreciate it very much. Thanks.

some extra details: i charged my phone over night the day before, so it shouldn't have died ( i know you shouldnt charge overnight, but i do :/)

i wasn't trying to flash anything or messing around with files, it was in my pocket.

i didn't drop it

Don't panic. Stay calm. The most of our ics roms suffer from reboots or freezes at this stage of development. Your phone simply froze, this can happen with screen on or turned off. If the three button combo (power and volume + -) does not work, You need to wait until the battery drains out.
if you pull the battery there is a chance to freeze your emmc chip and really brick your phone. If you connect the phone to PC before pulling the Batt there's a little lower risk. But I still don't recommend to do so. After your phone is running again, you should overvolt by 25 to hopefully prevent your phone from freezing again.

Ps.
Really, please stay calm, this happened to me about 20 times on ics roms and I'm not the only one.

Sent by my fingers to your head.

Reactions: mzr92 and Gaff3rs

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
thanks, i will just wait then, is it normal that adb won't recognise the device? and also two things, how long roughly will it take to drain completely? and when it is completely drained, what do i do? charge as normal?

thanks a lot :)

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
thanks, i will just wait then, is it normal that adb won't recognise the device? and also two things, how long roughly will it take to drain completely? and when it is completely drained, what do i do? charge as normal?

1. Yes, if it's frozen adb does not recognize the device
2. Depends on how much loaded your battery was. Could be between 1-12 hours :)
For me very often it didn't need that long, phone restarted by itself after some time.. (30 mins?) But sometimes I also had to wait long..
3.yes, charge normal

Edit: since your screen is off it could take even more than 12 hours o_O
post your results :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mzr92

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
Nothing yet :( i think i will have to wait to tomorrow :(

EDIT: 11:00 am GMT still nothing, it's been almost 24 hours; should I just keep waiting?

And is there any way to tell wether it's frozen, or the Emmc chip is broken? Thanks

Last edited:

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
Hey, I've been looking around the forums, and it seems to me that my phone's emmc chip is fine. I admit I did, in a panic, pull out the battery and re-insert it, but on other forums people with a 'fried' emmc chip can at least boot their phone, mine is just completely un-responsive, with a black screen and nothing, when you put it on charge. Am I right or could you shed some light on the problem?

Thanks

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Hey, I've been looking around the forums, and it seems to me that my phone's emmc chip is fine. I admit I did, in a panic, pull out the battery and re-insert it, but on other forums people with a 'fried' emmc chip can at least boot their phone, mine is just completely un-responsive, with a black screen and nothing, when you put it on charge. Am I right or could you shed some light on the problem?

Thanks

Seems to me exactly like the freeze I and a bunch of others are suffering from. If you think you can take the risk, you could try pulling the battery.
1. Connect to PC first.
2. Pull battery.
3. Pull USB cable
4. Insert battery after few minutes
5. Try to reboot recovery with adb

As I said there is a chance of freezing your emmc. You might succeed, but you might totally brick your phone too. I'm not responsible, I told you the risk.. :)

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
I had a spare battery lying around, did what you said above, instead putting the other battery in and not going on adb, but nothing happened. I think I am going to have to try what you said above ^^^

Oh and once I have put the battery back in do I turn the phone on? It might sound stupid but I don't want to get it wrong :/

Alright a few details:

My phone connected to the computer with a battery in (I don't have a clue how full it is) is not recognised as a 'device with removable storage'

It won't charge (or the orange light won't come on)

Last edited:

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Yes, to see if it's booting, I would suggest to turn it on :D
As I said, try to reboot via adb.
And I would recommend to reboot into recovery and flash another ROM or backup, you don't want to freeze your phone again today, do you? :)

Gaff3rs

Oct 5, 2011
Alright it seemsbe booting, could be a boot loop though

Edit : it's working I'm on the home screen of cm9 :)

You don't know how much I love you right now ;) thanks so much for all the help (I didn't even need adb, it just booted normally 0.o)

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
Keep your fingers crossed :)
Edit: glad you already solved it.
You're welcome mate :)

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
As I said, overvolt by 25 to hopefully prevent the phone from freezing again.

Or simply do flash a stable ROM. I would prefer this as I don't like to freeze my phone and brutally pull the batt

Reactions: Gaff3rs

eyahl

Jan 11, 2012
berlin
If you want sense, try endymion, by far the best.
No sense - reaper, fastest ever.

Just my personal opinion.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

i didn't drop it

Don't panic. Stay calm. The most of our ics roms suffer from reboots or freezes at this stage of development. Your phone simply froze, this can happen with screen on or turned off. If the three button combo (power and volume + -) does not work, You need to wait until the battery drains out.
    if you pull the battery there is a chance to freeze your emmc chip and really brick your phone. If you connect the phone to PC before pulling the Batt there's a little lower risk. But I still don't recommend to do so. After your phone is running again, you should overvolt by 25 to hopefully prevent your phone from freezing again.

Ps.
    Really, please stay calm, this happened to me about 20 times on ics roms and I'm not the only one.

1. Yes, if it's frozen adb does not recognize the device
    2. Depends on how much loaded your battery was. Could be between 1-12 hours :)
    For me very often it didn't need that long, phone restarted by itself after some time.. (30 mins?) But sometimes I also had to wait long..
    3.yes, charge normal

Edit: since your screen is off it could take even more than 12 hours o_O
    post your results :)

As I said, overvolt by 25 to hopefully prevent the phone from freezing again.

Or simply do flash a stable ROM. I would prefer this as I don't like to freeze my phone and brutally pull the batt