[Q] Bricked with adb access, no root

Search This thread

peter_b93

Jul 10, 2012
So I bricked my Kinde Fire HDX by changing the build.prop and not fixing permissions. I have adb access but no root (I don't know why :S). Would a factory reset work? If not, how can I get to fix the build.prop or replace it with the old one? thank very much, I've been a couple hours looking for solution but I couldn't find any.

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
No, a factory reset would only break it further. It would remove your adb access and not fix anything. What makes you think you lost root? Have you tried "adb shell" then "su"?

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

Reactions: peter_b93

peter_b93

Jul 10, 2012
No, a factory reset would only break it further. It would remove your adb access and not fix anything. What makes you think you lost root? Have you tried "adb shell" then "su"?

I used the HDX ToolKit v0.92 to check the root access, and it said "Please grant root on your device" :(
I've also tried "adb shell", and then "su", but it just returns "su" again. I am new with adb commands so I don't really know what it should show.
Thank you very much for your help

r3pwn

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 11, 2012
r3pwn.com
May I ask what version you were on before you bricked?

peter_b93

Jul 10, 2012

Nope, I couldn't find any way to get root acces again. But nevermind, my new kindle fire will be here in two days. I am surprised how well amazon costumer service works. Even though I bought my kindle in the US and now I am in Spain (not going back), they called me from the US for free, and they are paying all the shipping costs and sending it by priority shipping.

I am still interested if anyone knows how to fix it, just for fun ;)

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
well

Nope, I couldn't find any way to get root acces again. But nevermind, my new kindle fire will be here in two days. I am surprised how well amazon costumer service works. Even though I bought my kindle in the US and now I am in Spain (not going back), they called me from the US for free, and they are paying all the shipping costs and sending it by priority shipping.

I am still interested if anyone knows how to fix it, just for fun ;)

It sounds like to me that you still root access you just were not mounted RW in other words it would not boot up completely so you could hit allow to the adb Shell. So you will have to mount system rw manually Try last 3 pages of this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588608. He can fix you most likely if you can comprehend and follow directions.. or if ur understanding adb is fair you'll be able to probably extract your repair from the thread as is.

Last edited:

peter_b93

Jul 10, 2012
It sounds like to me that you still root access you just were not mounted RW in other words it would not boot up completely so you could hit allow to the adb Shell. So you will have to mount system rw manually Try last 3 pages of this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2588608. He can fix you most likely if you can comprehend and follow directions.. or if ur understanding adb is fair you'll be able to probably extract your repair from the thread as is.

I've tried what it is said in the other thread. However, the problem there is that the guy cannot get his device to be recognized.

I've tried this:

adb root
adb shell
su
mount -o rw,remount /system *****- if this fails, try: mount -o remount /system
chmod 644 /system/build.prop
chown root.root /system/build.prop
reboot

But adb root gives me this error:
adbd cannot run as root in production builds

On the other hand if I skip the "adb root" step I cannot go further than "su" since I don't get the "root@flo:/ #" line.

Attachments

• kindle.png
    kindle.png
    7.9 KB · Views: 143

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
well

I've tried what it is said in the other thread. However, the problem there is that the guy cannot get his device to be recognized.

I've tried this:

adb root
adb shell
su
reboot

On the other hand if I skip the "adb root" step I cannot go further than "su" since I don't get the "root@flo:/ #" line.
Well since you do have ADB connectivity why can't you hook a bruting utility and push root ? Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup use as describe back in the roll back thread and the rooting thread 4 the new yes I kno wat is in chinese but this is the 1 that you must use sent you cannot install the apk install software plugin your tablet look at the upper right corner you will see an gear icon tap that then second row down second icon over "root"

Last edited:
Reactions: peter_b93

peter_b93

Jul 10, 2012
Well since you do have ADB connectivity why can't you hook a bruting utility and push root ? Romaster_3.4.3.7593_Setup use as describe back in the roll back thread and the rooting thread 4 the new yes I kno wat is in chinese but this is the 1 that you must use sent you cannot install the apk install software plugin your tablet look at the upper right corner you will see an gear icon tap that then second row down second icon over "root"

FIXED!!!!!
The chinese software worked! Thank you very much! As I first rooted with towelroot I wasn't aware that it was possible to root without booting into android! I think I won't edit the build.prop again lol.
:D :D :D

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
FIXED!!!!!
The chinese software worked! Thank you very much! As I first rooted with towelroot I wasn't aware that it was possible to root without booting into android! I think I won't edit the build.prop again lol.
:D :D :D

Ok now use this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532818 and uninstall romanager from pc...and reboot... And BTW modifying your build prop is alot easier useing build prop editing app. It takes care of permissions anyway as long as you entrys are correct..

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
Ok now use this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2532818 and uninstall romanager from pc...and reboot... And BTW modifying your build prop is alot easier useing build prop editing app. It takes care of permissions anyway as long as you entrys are correct..

Good call on RomMaster. I have no idea what it is doing since I haven't had any time to look at it, but I'd figured it was an app like TR. At any rate, nicely done. :good:

Reactions: jimyv

jimyv

Jan 31, 2012
central Indiana
sweet

Good call on RomMaster. I have no idea what it is doing since I haven't had any time to look at it, but I'd figured it was an app like TR. At any rate, nicely done. :good:

I'm not sure either that's why when I used it I was on a blacklisted unit and I kept the PC and the tablet and airplane mode at all times. Until I was certain I got all the files off of both before I let them go to Wi-Fi Chinese files that is.. But one thing I was very curious about is if you open that tool up the Chinese tool that is an you go to the same page you would hit the anchor to root to your device just below that it says fastboot I'm wondering if they have a fastboot working for also too bad nobody here know :DChinese..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

well

I've tried this:

adb root
    adb shell
    su
    reboot