HTCMode = SMiShing app

Search This thread

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
Hey all,

There's been quite a few reports of people getting duplicate SMSes in the ViperDNA ROM thread. I think I have, unfortunately, found the cause. The other day, I got a SMS from someone not on my contact list/nor anyone I recognized at all. It was like spam email, but from SMS with a link to some site to boot. I brushed it off and just deleted the message. I was reading Android Police's new article on Android anti-virus apps. I was surprised to see my $15 Kaspersky app doing so poorly, so I uninstalled it and installed the #1 rated TrustGo. I did a scan and it found a "High Risk" threat in HTCMode. I followed the link provided by the app and, sure enough, Google has acknowledged the vulnerablility.

This vulnerability is being kept very close to Google's chest, so you don't find much about it doing a search for it. It certainly isn't getting a whole lot of press, but it's gotten some.

I tried to delete the app via TrustGo, but it failed. So went into Titanium Backup and froze the app and then was able to uninstall it. I've rebooted a couple times since uninstall and there doesn't seem to be any repercussions from getting rid of it. I highly recommend you do the same.

Just a heads-up. Protect your shiny DNA and your personal info/data,
Doc

Last edited:

darkace

Jun 16, 2009
Houston
Hey all,

There's been quite a few reports of people getting duplicate SMSes in the ViperDNA ROM thread. I think I have, unfortunately, found the cause. The other day, I got a SMS from someone not on my contact list/nor anyone I recognized at all. It was like spam email, but from SMS with a link to some site to boot. I brushed it off and just deleted the message. I was reading Android Police's new article on Android anti-virus apps. I was surprised to see my $15 Kaspersky app doing so poorly, so I uninstalled it and installed the #1 rated TrustGo. I did a scan and it found a "High Risk" threat in HTCMode. I followed the link provided by the app and, sure enough, Google has acknowledged the vulnerablility.

This vulnerability is being kept very close to Google's chest, so you don't find much about it doing a search for it. It certainly isn't getting a whole lot of press, but it's gotten some.

I tried to delete the app via TrustGo, but it failed. So went into Titanium Backup and froze the app and then was able to uninstall it. I've rebooted a couple times since uninstall and there doesn't seem to be any repercussions from getting rid of it. I highly recommend you do the same.

Doc

Thanks for the heads up! I wonder why HTC is packing this junk in with their software.

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
Thanks for the heads up! I wonder why HTC is packing this junk in with their software.

Perhaps HTC has nothing to do with this software and (as if they care) the developers are trademark infringing when they use it in the app. They merely use the HTC name to legitimize their software and make you think it should be on your phone (some Sense software.) I'm sure on the S3 it's called SamsungMode or TouchMode and tries to make it look like it's part of TouchWiz.

If HTC did create this software, then the SMiShers have just found a way to exploit a vulnerability in the software as they did with other brands. As the video and write-up details, this is not HTC-specific; but Android-wide.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLujaf0Y4-A

Last edited:

johnwaug

Nov 24, 2012
I can not find the HTC Mode.apk on my DNA at all. Not with TB or root file explorer. I am s-off, Viper1.1.3, beat mode kernel and costum recovery.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app

docnok63

Nov 22, 2012
Memphis, TN
I can not find the HTC Mode.apk on my DNA at all. Not with TB or root file explorer. I am s-off, Viper1.1.3, beat mode kernel and costum recovery.

It might not be on your phone. It's in system/app if it is.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of trustgo being rated #1.

Neither was I until yesterday and I was quite pissed a free app outperformed one I paid $15 for. When it found the vulnerability my anger turned to humility and concern.

Jaggar345

May 24, 2012
Amston
So reading this seems really shady that they would do this. So I'm not rooted on this phone and I don't want to root because I enjoy this phone how it is. So obviously I can't freeze this so if I disable it, won't this be the same thing as freezing it?

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
So reading this seems really shady that they would do this. So I'm not rooted on this phone and I don't want to root because I enjoy this phone how it is. So obviously I can't freeze this so if I disable it, won't this be the same thing as freezing it?

Kinda sorta... cant hurt to do that

Reactions: Jaggar345

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey all,

Doc

Kinda sorta... cant hurt to do that