VZW LTE disgraceful speeds

Search This thread

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
They reneged in throttling LTE on October 1, but Verizon has been throttling 3G data for unlimited users who exceed certain amounts of data for a few years now. If the two phone described by distortedloop were using EVDO and not LTE, the throttling would be expected If it's LTE, then maybe it's something to do with the radio (which would be surprising, because the common belief is that Motorola radio and antenna hardware and firmware is among the best in smartphones today.)
Both phones are on LTE Band 13 (700c). They're both displaying about the same signal strength.

Here's a screen shot showing the Motorola with unlimited data is on LTE.

The Unlimited Moto pulled about 2-3Mb/s. The Tiered LG was pulling about 15.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1412956602247.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1412956602247.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 112

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
Both phones are on LTE Band 13 (700c). They're both displaying about the same signal strength.

Here's a screen shot showing the Motorola with unlimited data is on LTE.

The Unlimited Moto pulled about 2-3Mb/s. The Tiered LG was pulling about 15.
Whats your avg data usage on with unlimited line?

Would you please retest both phones side by side, one after the other (not at exact same time).

Then swap sims and repeat the test. Thanks.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Whats your avg data usage on with unlimited line?

Would you please retest both phones side by side, one after the other (not at exact same time).

Then swap sims and repeat the test. Thanks.

Never more than 5 gb, usually 3-4. I've only used 1.23 go the first 10 days of the current billing cycle.

The two phones have ran similar scores side by side and back to back often enough to tell me it's not a hardware difference.

Swapping SIM cards not practical since the Motorola uses nano SIM and the LG uses micro.

I might be able to pull the Unlimited data micro SIM in my Nexus 7 to test in the LG. . That account averages 5-10 go per month.

Just as a point of interest I just ran speed test on both phones again, waiting for one to finish before starting the other. The Unlimited Motorola had a blistering 1.65 downstream versus 10.40 in the G3.

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
Never more than 5 gb, usually 3-4. I've only used 1.23 go the first 10 days of the current billing cycle.

The two phones have ran similar scores side by side and back to back often enough to tell me it's not a hardware difference.

Swapping SIM cards not practical since the Motorola uses nano SIM and the LG uses micro.

I might be able to pull the Unlimited data micro SIM in my Nexus 7 to test in the LG. . That account averages 5-10 go per month.

Just as a point of interest I just ran speed test on both phones again, waiting for one to finish before starting the other. The Unlimited Motorola had a blistering 1.65 downstream versus 10.40 in the G3.
I would go to Verizon right away and ask for a new SIM card. Make sure that the representative doesn't handle any of the contacts with their hands. That may fix your problem.

distortedloop

Feb 14, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I would go to Verizon right away and ask for a new SIM card. Make sure that the representative doesn't handle any of the contacts with their hands. That may fix your problem.

This is a new SIM.

I did the SIM swap thing.

I ran three tests in the LG with Tiered SIM, followed by 5 tests with the Unlimited SIM, fooled by 3 more with the Tiered back in the phone.

Tiered SIM averaging 6.23.
Unlimited averaging 2.49.

Even Tiered those aren't great speeds, but I'm on the edge of town where the signal isn't all that strong.

It really feels like both my Unlimited SIM are being throttled. Not always, but more often than not.

I wonder how many of those complaining of poor speeds on VZW are actually being throttled.

Oh, and on the Nexus 7 with the Tiered SIM I was averaging about 4.30 versus 1.10 with the Unlimited SIM.

aviwdoowks

Sep 18, 2012
I think the 3g/4g? throttle is in data/system or there about. Has throttle in the name. I am not rooted.

kitcostantino

Mar 21, 2011
Mayberry
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 8
initially reading tbis, i thought VZW's plan to throttle may have gone into effect. Reading up again, i found this is not the case anymore. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6882339/verizon-calls-off-throttling-unlimited-lte-data . So I decided to test mine for comparison.
-Unlimited data grandfathered in since 08 (samsung omnia pos)
-i have used as much as 30gb of data/month. Average is 10-12gb/month
-Droid Maxx Dev Edition
-Running OSE 10-6 moto_msm8960dt build (drdevs)
-i live in Upstate SC (nearest large city is Greenville which is an hour away, so BFE)
-Speedtest yields-test a) 36.33 mb/s down 13.58 mb/s up
test b) 41.04 mb/s down 9.77 mb/s up
test c) 52.39 mb/s down 9.22 mb/s up
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1001807050 (just in case anyone calls FOS)
I received my sim with my phone (from Motorola) and had to call to switch from my account to the nano sim that came with my phone. Considering you got a new sim, i would guess this affects nothing. I don't like paying $85/month for my phone, but where I live it is mountainous and VZW is the only carrier that has good reception. (everything, not just LTE)
I will say the difference could be within the software (ROMS) as far as tiered versus non-tiered. i did also read that the AWS (xlte) will not be accessible by grandfathered devices, but i do not know how much veracity to give that notion. Good luck man. Thank you for your contributions to the android community.

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
initially reading tbis, i thought VZW's plan to throttle may have gone into effect. Reading up again, i found this is not the case anymore. http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/6882339/verizon-calls-off-throttling-unlimited-lte-data . So I decided to test mine for comparison.
-Unlimited data grandfathered in since 08 (samsung omnia pos)
-i have used as much as 30gb of data/month. Average is 10-12gb/month
-Droid Maxx Dev Edition
-Running OSE 10-6 moto_msm8960dt build (drdevs)
-i live in Upstate SC (nearest large city is Greenville which is an hour away, so BFE)
-Speedtest yields-test a) 36.33 mb/s down 13.58 mb/s up
test b) 41.04 mb/s down 9.77 mb/s up
test c) 52.39 mb/s down 9.22 mb/s up
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/1001807050 (just in case anyone calls FOS)
I received my sim with my phone (from Motorola) and had to call to switch from my account to the nano sim that came with my phone. Considering you got a new sim, i would guess this affects nothing. I don't like paying $85/month for my phone, but where I live it is mountainous and VZW is the only carrier that has good reception. (everything, not just LTE)
I will say the difference could be within the software (ROMS) as far as tiered versus non-tiered. i did also read that the AWS (xlte) will not be accessible by grandfathered devices, but i do not know how much veracity to give that notion. Good luck man. Thank you for your contributions to the android community.
Xlte works on grandfathered unlimited plans

Sent from my Verizon LG G3 using Tapatalk

corebore

Jun 4, 2012
What's funny is that in my area Verizon's best home ISP is much lower than that, and that's not even the highest speed I've had.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415991347585.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415991347585.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 126

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you are that close to a tower then there's your problem. Those things aren't engineered for someone to be that close, its why they're usually someplace inaccessible.
    I'm in the same boat. At home in a more rural area I'm about a half mile from a tower and the little signal meter is reading pegged but I also get a bout 10 Mbps. My office is just up the street from TCF stadium and I get 20 Mpbs even though I'm indoors and the signal meter is only reading two bars.

One obvious conclusion I reach is that the little bars are pretty meaningless as far as actual performance goes.
    You do realize you just quoted yourself from January and responded to your own post right? Maybe that's why you're in the same boat. Like inception all over again.
    I'd be thrilled if I got 5mbps reliably. There are locations in the DC metro area where I'm lucky to get 500kbps on LTE.

Signal strength isn't the issue. Speed is determined by a lot of factors, but I think it's usually limited by the number of users at a given time, or potentially by the backhaul in some locations.
    Wow. Definitely going to TMo. I'm literally standing right next to a tower

Maxx'd out Kit Kat

Absolutely no expert here..BUT..Is your slow speeds due to being to close to the tower, maybe over shooting you..because seems to me, the towers are designed to beam out for broader reception..maybe not down lower as much..just a thought..don't know how it all works.?

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
    RockMyMoto Root..SafeStrap v3.65
    XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
    (device #1)

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)
    Absolutely no expert here..BUT..Is your slow speeds due to being to close to the tower, maybe over shooting you..because seems to me, the towers are designed to beam out for broader reception..maybe not down lower as much..just a thought..don't know how it all works.?

sent by my 4.2.2_12.15.15
    RockMyMoto Root..SafeStrap v3.65
    XT1080M (aka) Droid Maxx
    (device #1)

Please donate to: jcase & Hashcode (if you can)

I could see that, if signal was lower as well. Seeing as it's pegged, I'm assuming I'm hitting that one.

Maxx'd out Kit Kat