DROID X2 minor update (1.3.418) is NOT live

Search This thread

iBolski

UPDATED 3/25/2012

Talk Android, in the article below, mistakenly stated the update was for the X2 was live. Turns out not to be true.

http://www.talkandroid.com/99664-droid-x2-minor-update-1-3-418-is-now-live/#.T2HsKEGxFI4

I'm so avoiding this. Anyone else that decides to be brave and apply it, let us know the following:

1. Can you root with Zergrush
  2. Can you SBF back to 2.3.4 without bricking your phone
  3. Just for S and Gs, see if the bootloader is unlocked. I doubt it, but maybe a dev did something stupid? If so, save that update!

Last edited:

skwoodwiva

Apr 24, 2011
Thanks iBolski. (Or should I say Mr Ambassador :))
If anyone has a phone info screen shot, that would be nice to see.
Also confirmation that VooDoo works?

Last edited:

iBolski

Thats all the update brings? Why bother?

Exactly. I've tweeted to both Verizon and Motorola that I'm done with both of them. I'm looking for a new carrier and a new phone.

Verizon is reaching out right now asking why I'm so unhappy. Do I really have to answer that question? Give me a break! :mad:

litetaker

Dec 2, 2011
London
Google Pixel 2
Per Talk Android, the X2 minor update is available.

http://www.talkandroid.com/99664-droid-x2-minor-update-1-3-418-is-now-live/#.T2HsKEGxFI4

I'm so avoiding this. Anyone else that decides to be brave and apply it, let us know the following:

1. Can you root with Zergrush
  2. Can you SBF back to 2.3.4 without bricking your phone
  3. Just for S and Gs, see if the bootloader is unlocked. I doubt it, but maybe a dev did something stupid? If so, save that update!

One question. DID ANYONE get the Soak??? :confused:

If not, is this "really" what Moto was soak testing? :confused: What if it means... :eek: (gasp!)??

Edit: I don't think it is live yet, iBolski. Verizon's webpage still says "Coming Soon", like I'm supposed to be happy. I think the article is misguided... Did any brave soldier get the update and then apply it?

Last edited:

gaad0701

Mar 7, 2011
Albertville, MN
One question. DID ANYONE get the Soak??? :confused:

If not, is this "really" what Moto was soak testing? :confused: What if it means... :eek: (gasp!)??

Edit: I don't think it is live yet, iBolski. Verizon's webpage still says "Coming Soon", like I'm supposed to be happy. I think the article is misguided... Did any brave soldier get the update and then apply it?

I am signed up for the soak and I have not received it yet. I also tried to force the update to my phone just now and it is not pushing it.

I am going to be brave on this one because I have a back up phone I can fall on if anything does go wrong, but I am pretty much ready to just drop my DX2 like our Ambassador and just use something else until my upgrade....

I will let everyone know as soon as I get the email for the soak or if I can update to this at some point today...

Travisdroidx2

Sep 9, 2011
Bay Area California
Security update! I do not trust those bastards. I hope someone tries it so we know but I don't wish anyone to get stuck without root or able to sbf. Need a normal user that does not care about these things. I will not get close to it before we find out what it does.

iBolski

I am signed up for the soak and I have not received it yet. I also tried to force the update to my phone just now and it is not pushing it.

I am going to be brave on this one because I have a back up phone I can fall on if anything does go wrong, but I am pretty much ready to just drop my DX2 like our Ambassador and just use something else until my upgrade....

I will let everyone know as soon as I get the email for the soak or if I can update to this at some point today...

If/when you get it, check also just in case some dev made a "mistake" and left the kernel unlocked. Would be nice.

ztotherad

Aug 17, 2011
Illinois
OnePlus 9 Pro
I am no dev, can you walk me through how to do that? I am willing to try anything but I do not know how to do that off the top of my head.

do you have the Android SDK on your computer? if you do just go into the folder where it's stored:
if windows C:/SDK (i believe)
if Linux /home/yourname/android-sdk-linux

it should have fastboot within there, but i'm bad at explanations, so iBolski'll walk you through it better than I can.

Reactions: gaad0701

iBolski

I am no dev, can you walk me through how to do that? I am willing to try anything but I do not know how to do that off the top of my head.

From what I understand, you do the following, but back everything up to your external SD card first (do a nandroid) and you must have the Motorola USB drivers and Android SDK installed. Of course, since you've been flashing and SBFing, you definitely have those already installed:

1. Have your phone hooked up to your PC and type "ADB REBOOT BOOTLOADER"
  2. The phone should reboot into the bootloader saying "Starting Fastboot Protocol Support"
  3. When it's rebooted into the bootloader, type this in your DOS command window: "fastboot eom unlock"
  4. Read the warnings. This WILL reformat your phone so be sure you've backed it up.
  5. Tap Volume Down to switch to "Accept"
  6. Now press Volume Up to actually "accept" the warning.
  7. After that, you should be unlocked and formatted IF the bootloader and kernel were unlocked.

I could be wrong, but that's what I've read before.

Last edited:
Reactions: gaad0701

gaad0701

Mar 7, 2011
Albertville, MN
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1136261

the thread w/ 1/3 of a mil hits!
IT'S all about the last 2 pics in the op.

From what I understand, you do the following, but back everything up to your external SD card first (do a nandroid) and you must have the Motorola USB drivers and Android SDK installed. Of course, since you've been flashing and SBFing, you definitely have those already installed:

2. The phone should reboot into the bootloader saying "Starting Fastboot Protocol Support"
  3. When it's rebooted into the bootloader, type this in your DOS command window: "fastboot eom unlock"
  4. Read the warnings. This WILL reformat your phone so be sure you've backed it up.
  7. After that, you should be unlocked and formatted IF the bootloader and kernel were unlocked.

Good deal, I can do that for sure. I will make sure to update everyone as soon as anything comes through.

I won't be able to do any of the testing until I get home from work (roughly 6:30 central time) but I will keep trying to update throughout the day.

Thanks guys.

gaad0701

Mar 7, 2011
Albertville, MN
Good deal, I can do that for sure. I will make sure to update everyone as soon as anything comes through.

I won't be able to do any of the testing until I get home from work (roughly 6:30 central time) but I will keep trying to update throughout the day.

Thanks guys.

Still no update, nothing to report tonight probably. Hopefully I get something tomorrow so I have something to do at work...

Sent from my DROID X2

Skelente

Aug 17, 2011
For those of you considering doing the update, you might want to take a look at these two threads on RootzWiki: rooted before update and important information regarding .621 update (I'm sure there are XDA equivalents of this by now, but these are two threads I'd been following previously for my brother's DX.)

Apparently using OTA rootkeeper (and ADB in some cases) it should be possible to keep root after the sbf *IF* you have SU backed up on /system/! SU cannot (CAN NOT) be restored from the SD card. Of course, any SBF/factory restore will lose SU and you'll be SOL until that gets sorted. Another problem (for us) is that we do not yet have an SBF file for this, so if anything goes awry, you could (potentially, not necessarily) be looking at a nice expensive paper weight until the SBF gets leaked.

This was also mentioned in the DX information thread, but if anyone is brave enough to update from rooted stock (using OTA Rootkeeper) and could get a nandroid, it could potentially be useful for anyone in the know (read: devs) to see what has changed in the update, so that we can examine alternative root methods. Unfortunately, most devs have moved onto newer/better phones so this may take a bit, but there is still a lot of dev for the DX (and the dx2 of course) so hopefully we can get something going (and presumably any exploit found on either phone should hopefully be useful for the other.)

coolpoete

Hey ibolski if VZW is reaching out it's a good thing.. Even if nothing is going to change in terms of their policy. Take the opportunity to reach out to them and let them know how we feel. Perhaps they can understand or at least listen to how HTC customers can feel better about unlocked bootloaders.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

iBolski

Hey ibolski if VZW is reaching out it's a good thing.. Even if nothing is going to change in terms of their policy. Take the opportunity to reach out to them and let them know how we feel. Perhaps they can understand or at least listen to how HTC customers can feel better about unlocked bootloaders.

Sent from my MB870 using Tapatalk

I've tried. After I started doing that, the replies via twitter stopped. Figures.

Ihatepullups

listen I'm not saying anything, but just mentioning: I just tried to root my dad's Droid 2 Global and bricked it because the D2G got a "security update" around a week ago that kills root (Duh) and if you try to sbf back down it causes the phone to hard brick.

Now that may not be the case with this- who knows, that particular update went from 2.3.3 to to 2.3.4 and obv this one probably isn't going to update the kernel/bootloader/god knows but even still I find the closeness in time for these two OTAs suspicious, so be careful my flashaholic friends

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thats all the update brings? Why bother?

Exactly. I've tweeted to both Verizon and Motorola that I'm done with both of them. I'm looking for a new carrier and a new phone.

Verizon is reaching out right now asking why I'm so unhappy. Do I really have to answer that question? Give me a break! :mad:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1136261

the thread w/ 1/3 of a mil hits!
    IT'S all about the last 2 pics in the op.

Thanks guys.
    So has anyone received this update? Can they confirm what we all think?

No, this was another premature delivery by Verizon, nobody has even received the soak yet.

I will let everyone know as soon as I can check if we will have an unlocked bootloader and if the SBF back bricks...

Hoping it is this week, I am so F-ing tired of stock Moto!

Sent from my DROID X2
    Wait! Was he the one that said he worked for Moto and he was going to leak the unlocked bootloader? I think I do remember that... I just recently started reading more than ROMs and Themes though. So pardon my ignorance.

Sent from my DROID X2

your ignorance is unacceptable
    you should know EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME
    ESPECIALLY if skoodwiva said it, cuz EVERYONE knows what he taking about ALL the time ;)

(just playing around skood ;) please don't take offense, all in good fun Buddy :p )

do you have the Android SDK on your computer? if you do just go into the folder where it's stored:
    if windows C:/SDK (i believe)
    if Linux /home/yourname/android-sdk-linux

it should have fastboot within there, but i'm bad at explanations, so iBolski'll walk you through it better than I can.