[Q] Galaxy Nexus keeps crashing randomly

Search This thread

Panatella

Dec 6, 2009
Arnhem
Hey guys, i need some advise here!

For weeks, i anxiously waited for the mailman to bring my my GNex and for a few days im very happy with it. Unfortunatly, the major plus of android, it never freezes, isnt true for my brand spanking new Gnex!:(

Seeming randomly, the phone freezes, refusing all input from the screen and the On/Off button. This happens about every 20 hrs.
Ususally i advise people with this problem to exchange their phone with a different one, but im afraid i wont get a stock 'yakju' build back in return, so want to try to fix (or at least determine) the problem first.

Can you guys give me some tips on how to get to the bottom of this?

Thanks in advance!

Info:

Model: Galaxy Nexus (GSM)
Android version: 4.0.1
Smalbandversion: I9250XXKK1
Kernel: 3.0.1-ga052f63-android-build@apa28 #1
Build: ITL41F (yakju)

And again, it's all stock

thedonsza

Jun 1, 2010
Brasov

i had a lot of problems with the 4.0.1 fw, have you tried updating the phone to 4.0.2 it solves a lot of bugs!

Panatella

Dec 6, 2009
Arnhem
I tried to update the phone through the system update menu in the settings, but it listed my phone as 'up to date'. I find this is odd, since i have a Nexus ánd the Google build

Is there a way of updating the phone without a lot of hassle?

Panatella

Dec 6, 2009
Arnhem
I looked into it, in the Netherlands the 4.0.2 update should roll out in a few days. If it isn't, I'm going to flash it myself! Were your problems with 4.0.1 similar to mine e.g. crashes and freezes?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using XDA App

Popeyethe13th

Dec 9, 2011
In my experience most of the time when that happened was caused by 3rd party apps that weren't ics optimized.

Panatella

Dec 6, 2009
Arnhem
Well freezes and crashes maybe, but the whole phone unresponsive? Isn't there a try/catch somewhere which prevents this kind of 'dirty code' to crash the whole OS, anyway there should be.

Also, ( I forgot to mention this in #1) the phone reboots sometimes while its active as well as when its idle. The rebooting is always paired with a loud *click*

Sneets

Mar 13, 2008
Same problem

Also, ( I forgot to mention this in #1) the phone reboots sometimes while its active as well as when its idle. The rebooting is always paired with a loud *click*

That exact thing happened to me yesterday as well (running 4.0.1). I pulled down the notification bar, clicked on the email notification, and when the notifybar started collapsing again, the animation stopped, sound was caught in a loop, and two seconds later my phone rebootet with a clicking sound (I hope that it was just the speaker reacting strangely to the sudden signal loss...!)

The same day, the Nexus kind of crashed while I was streaming internet radio to my bluetooth speaker. The music kept on playing fine, but I wasn't able to turn on the screen. Even holding the vol+/- and power buttons only shut the phone down, but I couldn't restart before I removed the battery.

I really hope this is gonna be fixed with the 4.0.2 / 4.0.3 firmwares. This thing is crashing a little too often right now, for my taste :)

nexass?

Dec 23, 2011
I'm getting the same problems as noted above. I've just picked up the nexus to move away from Apple's iPhones, but I'm left wondering I've made a serious mistake in doing so. An added problem is that the crash has also occurred when I've been recharging the battery while asleep- so the alarm I set did wake me.

Honestly, it's an unreliable product. I'm a customer, not a Samsung lab rat.

mrotenlu

Feb 13, 2009
Got the same issue. 2 crashes in 4 days. Not a huge problem for me yet, but 4.0.3 better fix it.

charloà06

Jun 25, 2011
Well most of my problems went away when i updated my phone. You should definitely try to update. Personalty I went straight for 4.0.3. The best ROM i've tested is definitely Android Open Kang Project :http://rootzwiki.com/topic/11455-rom-android-open-kang-project-maguro-build-13/
Everything just went so smooth and bugfree as far as i can tell. And i love the quick setting he put in notification bar.

You can see how to unlock your phone here using the gn toolkit :
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1392310

Entree

Oct 13, 2011
I had those kinds of crashes, too. My phone would crash maybe once every 3-4 hours on 4.0.1... doing anything. Whether it be idle, with no extra services (factory reset), or while composing messages. Anything would do it.

Anyway, I rooted the phone and I've been on Bigxie's ROM since V1 (AOSP 4.0.3) and the issue stopped, for the most part, except for an idle reboot every 18-28hrs. Suspecting it was kernel related, I swapped out the Apex kernel and threw on Franco's... since then, my phone can run for almost two days (of moderate usage) without a charge.

Panatella

Dec 6, 2009
Arnhem
Any of you guys enabled 'force 2d hardware acceleration'? I don't know how relevant it is, but all my problems went away when I stopped to use this function.

@rbiter

Dec 4, 2011
Uv'ing too low can crashes also.

My grandma beat me down and took my nexus. Sent from a jitterbug with beats by dre.

dhruvraj

Dec 9, 2011
london
Well this is exactly what is happening to me on my phone, it reboots every 2 days or so. sometimes it becomes completely unresponsive, the keyboard doesnt open up or of it does, it doesnt accept any input

even the settings page starts crashing, i dont know what is going on

it works ok otherwise but this crashing and becoming unresponsive is really driving me crazy. i have 4.0.1 as i am in the UK and since they are not releasing 4.0.3 for such a long time here, it means the fixes available in it is not really for stability and maybe they are for LTE version available in the US

Also, I dont have the 2d acceleration checked off already, so not sure what else to do to fix it. should i return the phone???

gabore

Dec 15, 2011
Well this is exactly what is happening to me on my phone, it reboots every 2 days or so. sometimes it becomes completely unresponsive, the keyboard doesnt open up or of it does, it doesnt accept any input

even the settings page starts crashing, i dont know what is going on

it works ok otherwise but this crashing and becoming unresponsive is really driving me crazy. i have 4.0.1 as i am in the UK and since they are not releasing 4.0.3 for such a long time here, it means the fixes available in it is not really for stability and maybe they are for LTE version available in the US

Also, I dont have the 2d acceleration checked off already, so not sure what else to do to fix it. should i return the phone???
U sure it's not a software u installed recently? For me changing back to the stock music player fixed the random crashing.
In general, I can say some apps are not stable at all.

JazzMozz

Dec 21, 2010
I experience random crashes too, although they coincide with the sudden loss of signal, as described in these threads:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1390816
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1387943
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=20816554

I have started to make some logs to try to identify the cause of this problem. I use Log Collector for making a log and No Signal Alert to obtain a time stamp when the signal drops. What I see in the logs is that just before the signal drops I notice an entry in the log something like "process:com.lookout has died". Could this have something to do with the Lookout app I have installed or is it just coincidence that the app and a certain Android process have the same name?

By the way, does anybody know if there are websites or people who can analyze the logs I have created? Most of the content is mumbo jumbo to me and a knowledgeable person might be able to shed some more light on what happens inside the phone and what might trigger this problem.

I just upgraded to 4.0.2 on Thursday, but the problem persists.

Android version 4.0.2
Baseband Version: I9250XXKK6
Kernel Version: 3.0.8-gaaa2611
android-build@apa28#1
Build Number: ICL53F
ICS stock; non-rooted

Last edited:

b4cksl4sh

Feb 24, 2011
My GSM Nexus with stock 4.02 (unrooted) freezes randomly too.

When it occurs i cannot switch the screen on using the power button. Only thing that helps in this state is pulling the battery.

Iam starting to get extremely annoyed by Google/Android because my previous smartphone the Nexus One was also buggy ever since the Gingerbread update while beeing perfect with Froyo.

It's definately my last Android device if this will not be fixed with 4.03.

The phones are way too expensive to be a happy participant of a perpetual Google beta.

MilkPudding

Jan 21, 2010
My GSM Nexus with stock 4.02 (unrooted) freezes randomly too.

When it occurs i cannot switch the screen on using the power button. Only thing that helps in this state is pulling the battery.

Iam starting to get extremely annoyed by Google/Android because my previous smartphone the Nexus One was also buggy ever since the Gingerbread update while beeing perfect with Froyo.

It's definately my last Android device if this will not be fixed with 4.03.

The phones are way too expensive to be a happy participant of a perpetual Google beta.

Are you sure it's the OS not some buggy/incompatible apps? I've had the phone since launch and it never froze even once. Stock 4.02 too.

And you should try out different OS. Then you will know what suits you.