[Q] Kindle Fire HD 7 stuck on 'application stop'

Search This thread

twhitehead1081

Dec 22, 2012
Toowoomba
I am so confused . . .

I have a kindle fire hd 7. I rooted it today using the one/two step method and it worked beautifully. I tried a couple of different launchers (go launcher hd, adw launcher and apex launcher) and all worked fine. I decided to go back to using go launcher hd since I liked it the best. No problem. Switching and uninstalling worked great. Before I could finish reinstalling the go launcher hd and moving to the system app folder, I stupidly saw the new Next Launcher and tried that. Now my kindle is stuck on an endless "Next Launcher has stopped" cycle and I can't get it to stop. I have tried resetting to factory default and that didn't work.

The odd part is, even though I get the same error message every second (literally) the kindle will still work if I'm fast enough pushing the ok button on the error. I have taken 4 hours and navigated to the menu where I force it to close (didn't work), tried to find the es file explorer (didn't work) and no matter what I do, I can't get it to stop.

I hope that was thorough enough. Any tips?

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle 7" HD Safe Mode

I am so confused . . .

I have a kindle fire hd 7. I rooted it today using the one/two step method and it worked beautifully. I tried a couple of different launchers (go launcher hd, adw launcher and apex launcher) and all worked fine. I decided to go back to using go launcher hd since I liked it the best. No problem. Switching and uninstalling worked great. Before I could finish reinstalling the go launcher hd and moving to the system app folder, I stupidly saw the new Next Launcher and tried that. Now my kindle is stuck on an endless "Next Launcher has stopped" cycle and I can't get it to stop. I have tried resetting to factory default and that didn't work.

The odd part is, even though I get the same error message every second (literally) the kindle will still work if I'm fast enough pushing the ok button on the error. I have taken 4 hours and navigated to the menu where I force it to close (didn't work), tried to find the es file explorer (didn't work) and no matter what I do, I can't get it to stop.

This is a shot in the dark but try a few things:

1) Hard Reset. While the Kindle is turned on Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds, ignoring any Shutdown Message. The Kindle will power off on a hard reset.

2) Safe Mode. Power the Kindle in Safe Mode. When the Kindle is OFF press the Volume Up and Down together. While pressing the Volume keys, press the Power Button button to turn on the Kindle, release the Power button within 3 seconds. Just don't let go of the Volume keys until the Kindle is fully powered up. You will see "Safe Mode" in the left hand corner of your screen.

What is the error?

Reactions: twhitehead1081

twhitehead1081

Dec 22, 2012
Toowoomba

1) Hard Reset. While the Kindle is turned on Press and hold the Power button for 20 seconds, ignoring any Shutdown Message. The Kindle will power off on a hard reset.

2) Safe Mode. Power the Kindle in Safe Mode. When the Kindle is OFF press the Volume Up and Down together. While pressing the Volume keys, press the Power Button button to turn on the Kindle, release the Power button within 3 seconds. Just don't let go of the Volume keys until the Kindle is fully powered up. You will see "Safe Mode" in the left hand corner of your screen.

What is the error?

Tried the Hard Reset and the Safe Mode, neither worked. The message continues to pop up repeatedly.

The error itself is that after I tried to use the Next Launcher by putting it into the system/app folder like you would any other launcher to get it to do its things, it didn't work and now I get a continuous "Next Launcher Has Stopped" message that no matter how many times you press "OK" it keeps coming up, literally every second. The odd part is, I have been able to re-root the kindle and navigate it so I know I'm not bricked and I am 95% sure I am not soft bricked, though I could be wrong. I have managed to get ES Explorer back onto the Kindle and can navigate my way over time to the system/app folder. I have tried deleting the file and I get the "Error Deleting File" message and it continues. From what I can see, all I need to do is get this file deleted (and not try random untested things of course :eek: ) and if I can do that, it will be fixed. I just can't seem to get it deleted. I have tried both ES File Explorer and Astro File Explorer which are both still on my kindle. I have tried deleting it with the multi-select option in both but get that previously mentioned "Error Deleting File." I have tried moving it back to the sdcard/download folder with the same error. I have tried killing the task with Astro and ignoring it as well and that doesn't work. I am still working on this. I do realize as well that when this first happened I should have cleared out some files before I did the factory reset which also didn't work. However I was unable to get that file (Next Launcher) deleted which is why I went to the factory reset. After I managed to get the Kindle re-rooted, the only I haven't been able to do is get Superuser root access to the system/app folder to change permissions, again because of the repeated error.

It all comes down to the Next Launcher.apk file in the system/app folder that I can't get out. Long pressing anything doesn't work because of the repeated pop-up "Next Launcher has stopped." error mentioned above. The only way I can show you what it is exactly is to screw up your Kindle Fire HD 7 by downloading and putting the Next Launcher.apk file in the system app folder. That's literally all I did and now I can't get it to stop. I've even tried adding a second and third launcher to see if I could pick one on start up but that didn't work either. I even got ADW Launcher running and the error still came up. I'm running out of ideas. I'm open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for your time with this btw. I really appreciate it. :fingers-crossed:

onemeila

Jan 2, 2012
Winchester
Since you have root access you can use adb to remove a system apk,
Use these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system 
rm -r /system/app/[AppName].apk
mount -o remount,ro -t rfs /dev/stl5 /system

If you need to look up a list of apk names on the device:
Code:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk

Hope this works for you.

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
adb shell

Tried the Hard Reset and the Safe Mode, neither worked. The message continues to pop up repeatedly.

The error itself is that after I tried to use the Next Launcher by putting it into the system/app folder like you would any other launcher to get it to do its things, it didn't work and now I get a continuous "Next Launcher Has Stopped" message that no matter how many times you press "OK" it keeps coming up, literally every second. The odd part is, I have been able to re-root the kindle and navigate it so I know I'm not bricked and I am 95% sure I am not soft bricked, though I could be wrong. I have managed to get ES Explorer back onto the Kindle and can navigate my way over time to the system/app folder. I have tried deleting the file and I get the "Error Deleting File" message and it continues. From what I can see, all I need to do is get this file deleted (and not try random untested things of course :eek: ) and if I can do that, it will be fixed. I just can't seem to get it deleted. I have tried both ES File Explorer and Astro File Explorer which are both still on my kindle. I have tried deleting it with the multi-select option in both but get that previously mentioned "Error Deleting File." I have tried moving it back to the sdcard/download folder with the same error. I have tried killing the task with Astro and ignoring it as well and that doesn't work. I am still working on this. I do realize as well that when this first happened I should have cleared out some files before I did the factory reset which also didn't work. However I was unable to get that file (Next Launcher) deleted which is why I went to the factory reset. After I managed to get the Kindle re-rooted, the only I haven't been able to do is get Superuser root access to the system/app folder to change permissions, again because of the repeated error.

It all comes down to the Next Launcher.apk file in the system/app folder that I can't get out. Long pressing anything doesn't work because of the repeated pop-up "Next Launcher has stopped." error mentioned above. The only way I can show you what it is exactly is to screw up your Kindle Fire HD 7 by downloading and putting the Next Launcher.apk file in the system app folder. That's literally all I did and now I can't get it to stop. I've even tried adding a second and third launcher to see if I could pick one on start up but that didn't work either. I even got ADW Launcher running and the error still came up. I'm running out of ideas. I'm open to any ideas at this point. Thanks for your time with this btw. I really appreciate it. :fingers-crossed:

What about using ADB to communicate to your Kindle? That is, using "adb shell" thus allowing you shell access to your Kindle. Then using the shell to first kill the Next Launcher service and then finally rename it to Next Launcher.bak - Maybe?:confused:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Follow Up

How did this work out? Were you able to fix the issue? If yes, post the resolution just in case one of us has the same problem.

I hope adb shell worked.

twhitehead1081

Dec 22, 2012
Toowoomba
How did this work out? Were you able to fix the issue? If yes, post the resolution just in case one of us has the same problem.

I hope adb shell worked.

Hi Guys,

I tried your method and it kept giving me an error saying the file doesn't exist. I went through some of the forums and somehow managed to get the kindle stuck in System Recovery mode. After a few more hours of playing with it, I called Amazon Customer Service and they are sending me a new one. Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry the directions above didn't work. I know now for future reference what not to do. :)

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Application Stop

Hi Guys,

I tried your method and it kept giving me an error saying the file doesn't exist. I went through some of the forums and somehow managed to get the kindle stuck in System Recovery mode. After a few more hours of playing with it, I called Amazon Customer Service and they are sending me a new one. Thanks for all your help. I'm sorry the directions above didn't work. I know now for future reference what not to do. :)

Well I am glad you are getting a new Kindle! Follow our Noob instruction series when you get the new Kindle.

KindleFireGuy

Jan 31, 2012
King
Why.You could of bought factory cable 12$ for your time and reflashed stock with the kindle fire first aide kit

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium

danyluis

Jan 29, 2013
Boca Raton
Thanks

Use these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su

Code:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk

Hope this works for you.

Guys: I had the exact same problem today. I followed your instructions and I could get rid of the Next Launcher successfully. You don't know how grateful I am. I was afraid I was to loose my Kindle, too. But this worked. Thank you very much. :highfive:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
Kindle Fire HD 7 stuck on 'application stop'

Guys: I had the exact same problem today. I followed your instructions and I could get rid of the Next Launcher successfully. You don't know how grateful I am. I was afraid I was to loose my Kindle, too. But this worked. Thank you very much. :highfive:

danyluis,

You deserve some credit too! Great work danyluis!

Ssantos6981

Oct 17, 2006
Yonkers
a little help?

This is a little different than the original issue but I believe I may have messed something up while trying to root. I don't have a lock screen anymore and my top and bottom bars keep disappearing with a blink once and a while but no touch interaction when they do come up for that brief second. since I am rooted, is there anyway to replace system files to override the ones I may have messed up, or can someone point me in the direction of restoring a stock system without having access to the traditional method of factory reset through the settings menu? Everything seems to work fine just I have no access to the home button, back button, notification bar etc...

I've been searching the forums for an hour or so and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

I've tried using binary's rooting method again to try and restore but it never comes up to the restore screen since I don't have a lock screen. At the end of that process I get a message saying no backup-restore.apk.

I just noticed the first aide thread and I'm going to read through that in hopes that there is a way to bring this thing back.

Last edited:

prokennexusa

Jan 12, 2012
Petaluma
plus.google.com
[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - UPDATED 02/13/2013 1:30

This is a little different than the original issue but I believe I may have messed something up while trying to root. I don't have a lock screen anymore and my top and bottom bars keep disappearing with a blink once and a while but no touch interaction when they do come up for that brief second. since I am rooted, is there anyway to replace system files to override the ones I may have messed up, or can someone point me in the direction of restoring a stock system without having access to the traditional method of factory reset through the settings menu? Everything seems to work fine just I have no access to the home button, back button, notification bar etc...

I've been searching the forums for an hour or so and haven't been able to come up with a solution.

I've tried using binary's rooting method again to try and restore but it never comes up to the restore screen since I don't have a lock screen. At the end of that process I get a message saying no backup-restore.apk.

I just noticed the first aide thread and I'm going to read through that in hopes that there is a way to bring this thing back.

Ssantos6981,

First let me apologize for the delay.

You caught us before we could recommend the solution! Please go to our Backup and Restore Software Kindle Fire First Aide here:

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

We just deployed a new update, so please download the latest copy which was updated 02/13/2013 at 1:30am PST GMT -8.

Here we go, for the complete Windows 32-bit Package: KFFirstAide32.zip

For the complete Windows 64-bit Package: KFFirstAide64.zip

Be sure to update Java here: Java SE Development Kit 7u13

When you extract the package, be sure to rename the folder to C:\KFFirstAide and add an Environment Variable.

steak2011

Dec 22, 2012
I am so confused . . .

how did you brick it im having same issue

rogecuador

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks a lot

Use these commands:
Code:
adb shell
su

Code:
cd /system/app
ls *.apk

Hope this works for you.

I had the same issue, but now it is solved thanks a lot

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Use these commands:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su

Code:
    cd /system/app
    ls *.apk

Hope this works for you.
    Kindle 7" HD Safe Mode

I am so confused . . .

What is the error?
    adb shell

What about using ADB to communicate to your Kindle? That is, using "adb shell" thus allowing you shell access to your Kindle. Then using the shell to first kill the Next Launcher service and then finally rename it to Next Launcher.bak - Maybe?:confused:
    Follow Up

I hope adb shell worked.
    Next Launcher and Apex Launcher

Bummer, because that Next launcher looks nice. I hope someone can figure out how to make it work.

We will be working with Go Launcher team to get this done.

We will create a How to: once we have cleaned out the bugs.